• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA deny neglecting Wii U and 'hold fire' on 2 unannounced titles. You can relax !

I hope some new announcements for WiiU are made soonish, since the stuff they showed at E3 was underwhelming as far as I am concerned.

Good to know EA is on the boat by the way, the more the better!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This is JUST a guess but I wonder if one of the reasons EA is holding off showing the titles (Madden Wii U for example) is because they want to have the 2 tablets working with it when they show it off. Nintendo announced the Wii U would support 2 game pads but they didn't show any games with that capability, so maybe they only got it working recently. That might explain the delay in showing it.

Yep, and this is explained here where i revealed the 2 gamepad support one week before the conference :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475981

Concretely, third-parties weren't aware that such a support will be possible until they received the mass production dev kits, roughly a month before E3. And yet, it wasn't activated, they were waiting for it, surely through a new SDK or something else (update, etc.). A new SDK was launched at the beginning of june, i don't know yet if it has unlocked the second DRC port on the dev kits, if it's the case, well, studios will have from june to launch to integrate it. If it's not, i hope it will soon to see titles using a second Gamepad not too far away from the system release.

But as explained and confirmed by Iwata in its twitter, it's likely all (or nearly all) the launch titles will focus on one Gamepad, for the reasons above.

Now we need to speculate on the workload, the development time, needed for EA, to implement a second gamepad, basically adding the team management interface of their next madden for example, on a second controller. It shouldn't be as easy as one could think, rendering a third-content will introduce another resource consumption, even small in case of an interactive map/player board/etc. and they will have to make sure the framerate on the main screen is satisfying, etc.

Dabanton

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might actually double dip on ME3. Probably sub-$30 though.

Lol this is EA it will be full price.

You Wii U buyers don't want to send the wrong message to EA that certain genres don't sell on Nintendo systems we saw how that worked out last time with the Wii..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't help but laugh with how IdeaMan looks for each and every possible opportunity to relate his "reveal" to any thread so he can pimp it all over again, lol. Maybe if you actually knew EA is delaying a particular game's announcement and reveal because they want to add such support it would make some sense but without any such information and several other serious and plausible reasons for the same result (which may also allow them to add such support) this is quite extreme and desperate reaching...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The EA guy cited is the Games label President right? Does that mean he most likely isn't talking about EA Sports titles?

Neo C.

I don't care if Origin is on Wii U. As long as there are just EA games which use Origin I can easily avoid the mess.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
blablabla

I never said once that the late integration of a second gamepad is the reason why EA didn't announced several games, i'm just answering to Gaborn speculating about that and assuming that it's a late integration, therefore i put the link to my thread because it's explaining the 2 gamepad support situation, and that it was still not activated a few days before E3.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The EA guy cited is the Games label President right? Does that mean he most likely isn't talking about EA Sports titles?

Well, each EA employee, if he is interviewed about an hypothetic lack of support for Wii U, could answer and defend its company policy i guess without being confined by the label he is working on. But i really hope he is not referring to the already expected sports games.

Nemesis_

I'm really intrigued but unfortunately I am not expecting much.

That being said, how did Dead Space Extraction go?

Hiltz

I've never been a big fan of EA so I'll keep my arms crossed until they announce something interesting not another late port.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So Pachter was right. EA and likely Activision were holding back their announcements.

It was a safe bet though, there were like tons of clues indicating that those companies teams were working on Wii U, on a lot more projects that the rare ones presented at E3.

boyshine

Confirmed:
- Mass Effect 3
- FIFA 13
- Madden NFL 13

That leaves (of EA’s Q412 top sellers):
- Medal of Honor Warfighter
- Need For Speed Most Wanted
- NBA Live 13
- NHL 13

I’m also expecting Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 because there was no Wii version this year, and it feels insane to skip Wii U with how great the series have become with Motion Plus and Balance Board + the possibilities with the second screen demoed by Nintendo’s own Wii U reveal video.

But if only two; MOH:W and NFS:MW. Those are the AAA games that will be on every wishlist for christmas and continue to sell through december and january.

Linkhero1

Confirmed:
- Mass Effect 3
- FIFA 13
- Madden NFL 13

That leaves (of EA’s Q412 top sellers):
- Medal of Honor Warfighter
- Need For Speed Most Wanted
- NBA Live 13
- NHL 13

I’m also expecting Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 because there was no Wii version this year, and it feels insane to skip Wii U with how great the series have become with Motion Plus and Balance Board + the possibilities with the second screen demoed by Nintendo’s own Wii U reveal video.

But if only two; MOH:W and NFS:MW. Those are the AAA games that will be on every wishlist for christmas and continue to sell through december and january.
I don't remember either being officially announced.

schuelma

I don't remember either being officially announced.

They haven't been. Well, FIFA kind of was- a Eurogamer article a few weeks ago mentioned a Wii U version in development.

I don't expect either for launch. I'm betting it is Medal of Honor and something else.

ari

Banned
Watch Wii U's online service be Origin.

I don't even want to imagine.

that doesn't make sense.

anyway, betting battlefield 3 platinum 2.0 or some kiddy game.

don't see why dead space 3 wouldn't come so i'm not even adding that as a prediction :)

Would anyone seriously not prefer Origin to whatever awfulness Nintendo came up with?

Given the only thing I particularly care about in online gaming is gaming online I would absolutely rather have Nintendo set that up - and have games that are still working online in 5 years time - than EA.

effzee

Great so now we have to another countdown to some other event or day for more reveals.

It better be sooner than later, especially with Nintendo's stock falling hard they better realize that whatever marketing strategy they think they are employing is not working at all.

If anything gamers are angry that even the games they hate (Madden) from developers they hate (EA) were not even announced or shown to the point that when they are announced they hate it even more. Though this might be a GAF thing.

If there is another event in the Summer, it better include the full EA Sports lineup, ME3, and these two unannounced games mentioned. And if its a Nintendo event it better finally reveal the online set up.

To think if Nintendo just showed and announced all this at E3 in conjunction with EA, their presentation would have easily been ten times better.

I guess sometime before Sept would be a safe guess since the system is most likely launching in November?

effzee

Given the only thing I particularly care about in online gaming is gaming online I would absolutely rather have Nintendo set that up - and have games that are still working online in 5 years time - than EA.

Unless there is a complete change in direction and philosophy at Nintendo, I doubt they let EA dictate the online set up or even turn it over to them fully.

I expect EA to provide them with input, ideas, and maybe even help of some sort but I seriously doubt Nintendo would use origins. Then again who knows.

Its starting to become clear that either

a) Nintendo has a strategy to build hype towards launch, with reveals over the Summer and later months OR
b) They are planning separate events with third party partners, especially for certain brands / online games.

It's honestly a relief if either or both of those are true, because their e3 showing was woeful. I'm tapped out as far as any 'speculation' on GAF goes though... I just don't care any more. Fuck rumours, give me the reveals.

one of the titles should be NBA; there's no way EA leaves the scene open for their competitors.

I 'hope' there's also an online enabled Fifa with the GamePad functioning similar to the DS touch screen (even 'exactly' similar would be great).

I believe if there's going to be Blops2 on it from Activision, then there should be also either a late BF3 port or MoH, logically the latter.

I swear, every time I hear a developer talk about how excited they are about developing for the Wii U, I think of a person telling a parent how beautiful their ugly baby is.

EA Support?

Man, the bad news just keeps on comin'....

but they've put out loads of great titles this gen even if they are evil or the worst company ever or something. why wouldn't i want games like Most Wanted and Crysis 3? why wouldn't I want Valve games?

if you can seperate the games from the company, there's a huge library of great EA titles.

Mxrz

Okay by that method. Why would you want to play them on a Wii-U over the PC And/or proper controllers? Given how trendy it is to hate on EA, I'm surprised people care. But I doubt this has much to do with their actual games, and more to do with the "OMG my Nintendo stock!" stuff.

Okay by that method. Why would you want to play them on a Wii-U over the PC And/or proper controllers? Given how trendy it is to hate on EA, I'm surprised people care. But I doubt this has much to do with their actual games, and more to do with the "OMG my Nintendo stock!" stuff.

FIFA is not optional in Europe. Also, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, MoH etc have been great, and should EA strike the proverbial gold again, it would be shit hot to have it on Wii-U. Both on the consoles U-Pad and on its 'proper' controllers.

Chalk me up for wanting Sim City too... I know its PC-only atm, but that would be soooo good.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Those were already announced though so I expect two more.
A game being confirmed in an interview is very different than a game being formally announced. FIFA and Madden WiiU are yet to be announced.

The bolded aren't confirmed in the context of this report, and I think that's something important to factor in.
let us relax man :(

btw, where is 'two' coming from anyway?

---
edit: holy fuk at CVG title;
a couple !=2, it means at least two; even in the tag it say "Electronic Arts is preparing to announce at least two other Wii U projects "
seriously, what the is wrong with journalists these days?

ok, back to relax mode

Terrell

OH MY GOD! YOU MEAN COMPANIES CAN ACTUALLY SHOW GAMES OUTSIDE E3!?

Where was this megaton news last week?
Seriously. People lose their heads during E3.
We're living in a world where the first trailer of Metal Gear Rising was shown on a shitty awards show on Spike TV. And Nintendo knows this too by doing Nintendo Direct more and more frequently as time passes.

I may be stupid, but I'm not that stupid EA. Either show the games (and give us release dates) or shut the fuck up, not that I'm expecting anything but barebone ports.

ME 3 ? I would bet that there's not gonna be anything new, other than (mostly) stupid touchscreen stuff that doesn't add anything useful to the game, certainly not enough to demand full price.

Why would people want anything on consoles over the PC ? Oh yeah, right, because either they own the consoles or know they're gonna buy/stick with them. I could see myself go with Wii U (kinda) and I'd prefer not having to buy another console, only s.t. I can play 3rd party games.

Edit:
Given EA's history, it would be downright foolish to believe anything they say.

given EA's history, unless they implicitly say that they are not supporting a platform, i see no reason to think they are lying when they say they are supporting a platform. i'd argue it's downright foolish to think that EA aren't going to put their games on as many platforms as possible. if it's easy to port to, EA will be there.

BD1

Banned
No surprise to me. The reactions from EA and Activision at E3 were pretty strong giveaways that they had things for launch and just weren't talking about it.

It's also becoming clearer that Nintendo did not see E3 as the huge blow-the-doors-open event, that many of us expected. They appear to be setting themselves up for a momentum building schedule of info reveals and game announcements throughout the summer and fall, right up to launch.

Bert

Mirror's Edge: Panorama View Edition would be amazing!

Really hope we get at least one new IP, but it'll probably be old ports or shovelware :(

schuelma

Mirror's Edge: Panorama View Edition would be amazing!

Really hope we get at least one new IP, but it'll probably be old ports or shovelware :(

Absolute best case scenario would be Medal of Honor and Need for Speed. I think it is very possible it will just be old ports though.

Mlatador

Banned
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really like Nintendo's and it's partners new approach to gaming-announcments.

I HATE announcments for games that are too far away. Especially in a time where fucking trailers get trailers (teasers), it awesome to see developers going for another route.

6 month prior to release should be the maximum any company is allowed.

Top Bottom