• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends or DoTA 2

Gowans

I played a little LoL and loved it, then I got into the DoTA 2 beta and man I'm hooked, the game type finally clicked and I adore it but I've long since deleted LoL.

The thing is a couple of mates one who has played the DoTA 2 beta is insisting I scrap it for LoL.

Plenty of DoTA2 and LoL fans here on GAF, what are your thoughts?

As someone who has put 1000+ hours into League of Legends, I have to say Dota 2 (which I've played for about 900 hours now) by far. The game is just much deeper and more rewarding in the long run. Also the artstyle is amazing.

sonicmj1

The most important thing is that you play with your friends, because then you will have fewer frustrating experiences.

I think Dota 2 is a more interesting game, but I've spent a lot more time in LoL because it's what my friends play, and I don't feel bad about that.

EXGN

The most important thing is that you play with your friends, because then you will have fewer frustrating experiences.

I think Dota 2 is a more interesting game, but I've spent a lot more time in LoL because it's what my friends play, and I don't feel bad about that.

This. It's a team-based game, playing with friends makes these games wonderfully fun.

Kayo-kun

Dota 2.

League of Legends wants to hold the hand of the player and treat him like a little baby.

Dota 2>Dota>>>>>HoN>LoL

Gowans

Yeah it's not like I have to pay I can just reinstall LoL the thing is I really dig the persistence of each game, I keep wanting to play DoTA2 and not even try LoL because I adore it and want to level up.

To be honest I'm not even sure of the differences between each, guess i'll just suck it up and reinstall it.

This. The more friends you can play with the better. The communities are bad if you play by yourself.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Dota 2 if you're looking for the most modern experience of the genre without having something to hold your hand. I play both, been playing league more since I had my fun with warcraft dota for sometime.

As for friends I agree but if you good communities of player like neogaf and other inhouses I make queues with it's easily just as good. In the case of some of my friends skill I prefer neogaf peeps I hook up with.

Yeah it's not like I have to pay I can just reinstall LoL the thing is I really dig the persistence of each game, I keep wanting to play DoTA2 and not even try LoL because I adore it and want to level up.

To be honest I'm not even sure of the differences between each, guess i'll just suck it up and reinstall it.

The death culture of the game spells volumes. Good dota players don't do wreckless stuff as much since every death you lose money.

The damage setups of both games are dynamic enough and same for the meta the combinations are much exotic and wild in dota.

I'm really not a fan of the way LoL looks. There's no visual distinction between the two sides of the map, the lanes seem to large, not a fan of grass everywhere, and the animations are of a lower quality.

I haven't played enough LoL to give it a super-fair shake, but Dota 2 just seems to be way ahead of the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I have played League of Legends for ages... But Dota 2 is simply a much better game in every possible way.

KageZero

I would say dota 2. It's much deeper game compared to lol but it's also way harder to play. I played the original dota for 3-4 years, then i took a long break from it and started to play lol with friends. Although lol is a vary good game i had better time when i was playing dota. And now when i come to play dota 2 i feel so lost in the game... Very slow reactions, i get lost in most team fights and so on. The only thing why i would recommend lol over dota if you have friends playing lol. It's a lot more fun to play with them then random people

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dota 2 gives you access to all the heroes. I think unless your friends play LoL and you cant get them to switch, then just pick Dota 2.

Solune

If you're already getting deep into DotA2, don't stop. Playing LoL recently has severely deteriorated any skill I had in DotA.

Arksy

Heroes of Newerth is leagues ahead of both.

In HoN you can:

- Concede/Surrender meaning you don't have to play games should your entire team not to.

- Enjoy well designed spell effects and graphics. This is a question of taste really. But I really enjoy the effects in HoN over the other games.

- Sound cues. Unlike Dota in HoN if you listen you can hear exactly what's going on, what hero is casting what spell.

- Play casual mode games. When you're thinking you want to change it up you can play a quick game of casual mode with a bit of the tension scaled back.

- Starting with a limited pool of heroes sucks but unlike LoL every item you can buy can be acquired using earned currency by playing games.

- Midwars. Nuff said.

- Enjoy a huge selection of heroes. Over 100 heroes.

- Enjoy progress. Dota 2 is pretty much a carbon copy of Dota with a few bells and whistles. No innovation what so ever. HoN on the other hand have added dozens of new heroes, removed runes at 0.0 and changed up items resulting in a game that is leagues ahead in terms of design and balance when compared to Dota 2.

I'm aware that this is mainly aimed at why HoN > Dota 2. But I feel those two are the closest in terms of gameplay while Dota tries to do something a bit more casual.

I like only controlling one unit ever.

LoL

DOTA2 is much nicer to it's players though.

This is true. I'm a newb at both but people in DOTA actually help you out and such. LoL seems like a bunch of those whiny little kids you find on XBL calling people names and telling them they suck...it's kind of annoying.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
I prefer LoL mostly because I feel the DOTA 2 champions lack character. They feel super generic to me. I also feel the DOTA 2 graphics while clearly better technically are objectively inferior to LoL(the LoL world feels more lively).

cametall

I had the same issue as the OP. I got into the DOTA 2 beta and loved it (after spending hundreds of hours on LoL). I gave my two invites to some friends.

One will begrudingly play DOTA 2 when I ask, but he gets upset that he is getting dominated and then just goes kamikazee with the courier... cries about Bloodseeker/SB/Drow being OP.

The other will rarely play a game of DOTA 2. When he does he immediately goes back to LoL after the end of a round (usually gets stomped).

Thing is ... they're both terrible (750 elo) in LoL. I guess they prefer to be terrible with familiarity than be terrible while treading new water.

I'm pounding my face into the wall because of these two!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is true. I'm a newb at both but people in DOTA actually help you out and such. LoL seems like a bunch of those whiny little kids you find on XBL calling people names and telling them they suck...it's kind of annoying.
I actually meant the game itself. No timesink to level up and farm runes, get cosmetic items just for playing, all heroes unlocked from the start, etc.

I haven't played enough DOTA2 to really comment on the community - but I assume both communities have their fair share of horrible and helpful people.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

In HoN you can:

- Concede/Surrender meaning you don't have to play games should your entire team not to.

- Enjoy well designed spell effects and graphics. This is a question of taste really. But I really enjoy the effects in HoN over the other games.

- Sound cues. Unlike Dota in HoN if you listen you can hear exactly what's going on, what hero is casting what spell.

- Midwars. Nuff said.

- Enjoy progress. Dota 2 is pretty much a carbon copy of Dota with a few bells and whistles. No innovation what so ever. HoN on the other hand have added dozens of new heroes, removed runes at 0.0 and changed up items resulting in a game that is leagues ahead in terms of design then Dota 2.

I'm aware that this is mainly aimed at why HoN > Dota 2. But I feel those two are the closest in terms of gameplay while Dota tries to do something a bit more casual.

HoN is a mess of a game, it started off as a Dota clone and then "stuff happened" and they're trying to change it all. The HoN GAF channel went from having 20+ people on to having like 3, and I think they just play Midwars.

Had to laugh at the innovation part.

Also S2 treat their fans like shit and are happy to sell off regions to other companies, and don't care if people can no longer play with their friends.

I prefer LoL mostly because I feel the DOTA 2 champions lack character. They feel super generic to me. I also feel the DOTA 2 graphics while clearly better technically are objectively inferior to LoL(the LoL world feels more lively).

xAcNx.jpg

NMan

I pretty much only play ARAB (All Random, All Bot) nowadays and as far as I know, this is only available in League of Legends so that's what I play.

Gowans

If you're already getting deep into DotA2, don't stop. Playing LoL recently has severely deteriorated any skill I had in DotA.
That's what I'll stick to fellas thanks.

I mean why would I drop my awesome girlsfriend for one that gets on better with my mates. I'm loving DoTA2 so I'm in with her for the long haul. Maybe my mates will come round when the beta opens to all on release.

SamVimes

Steroid-Creepclearing skill-Gap closer EVERY CARRY EVER.
Also i don't think objectively means what you think it means.

I had around 200 hours on LoL, i never opened it once since getting into dota 2 beta (around 400 hours and growing), everything is just so much better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
- Enjoy progress. Dota 2 is pretty much a carbon copy of Dota with a few bells and whistles. No innovation what so ever. HoN on the other hand have added dozens of new heroes, removed runes at 0.0 and changed up items resulting in a game that is leagues ahead in terms of design and balance when compared to Dota 2.

The whole point of Dota 2 is to be Dota on a better engine. Also arent many of those new heroes (like Dota doesnt get new heroes regularly, just not at a stupid pace) horribly balanced, probably cause they get pushed out fast for monetary reasons.

Sentenza

I can't even take this post seriously.

In HoN you can:

- Play casual mode games. When you're thinking you want to change it up you can play a quick game of casual mode with a bit of the tension scaled back.

- Starting with a limited pool of heroes sucks but unlike LoL every item you can buy can be acquired using earned currency by playing games.

- Midwars. Nuff said.

I have only played Dota 2 for an extensive period of time, with that said I can only comment on two of your points.

Dota does need a concede button.

Dota has a very good audio system and distinct cues. I know when I'm about to get mauled by an Ursa that sees me but not the other way around.

I lied.

Dota's heroes are all free and new heroes are coming after the originals are ported.

Dota's visual style is technically crisp and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

I have played League of Legends for ages... But Dota 2 is simply a much better game in every possible way.

I played LoL only very briefly (about 2 weeks), and really only installed it because it was free and I was vacillating on whether to trade or keep my Dota2 beta invite. I had never played the genre before and found the tutorial very helpful and the humans vs bots MM a good place to start. I had time to get comfortable with only a couple of characters, but I did enjoy it to some degree. LeBlanc mid was my shit.

That was in December, and I've been playing Dota2 since January. I find Dota2's artstyle "modern" and really makes LoL look dated. I mean, really dated...no comparison at all. Also, I feel like the gameplay and tactics are more diverse than what I experienced in LoL...but I'm not sure, since I didn't play LoL nearly as long. Still, there just felt like there was a lot more to learn in Dota2. I also appreciate that all the heroes are free and that purchasable items don't modify the gameplay experience.

Lastly, Valve really seems to be kicking ass with their support of the game and pro scene which is a rare sight and one that deserves extra love. Valve really does TF2 and Dota2 right with the constant updates, fast bug fixes and consistent up-time. When I think about the last few weeks of Diablo 3, I can only tip my hat (less players to be sure, but that doesn't make me feel better when my experience is shitty by and large).

Dota2 is the clear future of the MOBA scene, IMO. Nothing else is or will be as wells supported as Dota2...and nothing else is as modern as Dota2. Valve has this generation locked up for years to come, and as such I'd recommend that anyone who enjoys the MOBA genre to start putting in some Dota2 time. Don't switch if you don't want to, but don't SKIP Dota2 either. Who gives a shit if you don't have friends playing Dota2 yet? You make them as you go along...like anything else in life.

$0.02

eznark

Banned
As someone who has put 1000+ hours into League of Legends, I have to say Dota 2 (which I've played for about 900 hours now) by far. The game is just much deeper and more rewarding in the long run. Also the artstyle is amazing.

I'm in the same boat. I played LoL from early beta to the day I got a Dota2 invite. Haven't touched it since.

Demigod is better than both :(

dave is ok

aztek is ok
DOTA2 has a lot more ways to die very very quickly. It's really weird for a Valve game to be so unfriendly to newcomers (but I guess it's not like they designed it)

Can't wait to see how they tackle this in tutorials.

If only S2 managed their game better.

In terms of how the games feel, though (no meta/balancing issues taken into account)

HoN > DOTA2 > DOTA > LoL

But S2 goes and gives 0 shits and runs HoN into the ground with the dumbest shit ever.

I miss the HoN beta and 1.0 release days =(

I prefer LoL mostly because I feel the DOTA 2 champions lack character.
Nah man. The bantering going on between certain heroes is amazing. And they all have a very distinct style to them. All the ones I've tried, anyway.

I also feel the DOTA 2 graphics while clearly better technically are objectively inferior to LoL(the LoL world feels more lively).
Well, LoL certainly has the primary color palate to its advantage...

Idunno man. It's a brighter game, yes. More colorful. But nothing about it feels more "lively" (effects, extra creatures floating around). Unless you're directly referring to the primary color-based palete when you say "more lively".

Once you get used to staring at Dota, it's hard to go back to 2004 PC graphics-based games.

Whichever your friends are playing. This type of game is just infuriating otherwise.
or, make friends in the new game like everyone else?

Better than a generic barbarian.

Even WC3 Blademaster looks better.
one has to admit that the art for Yi looks silly. Juggernaut is nothing special at all visually, but Yi looks ridiculous.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
When some of the names of characters are Drow Ranger, Ogre Magi, Axe, Sniper, Beastmaster, Lifestealer, and Lycanthrope it devalues the character to me. They have no soul and feel lazy. I understand they are names that were given to the characters forever ago in many cases but that doesn't make them good. I don't know if it's due to my interest in fighting games or what but I want these characters to have some personality and super generic naming takes away from that. To me it's like having a racing game where you're given the options of taking: Sedan, Sport Utility Vehicle, Coupe, or Van.

LoL is friendlier to newcomers, and is generally easier to play.

DotA is a bit rougher to get into, mostly because of the death penalty and item diversity.

It's a tough call, really. Go where your friends are, that's where a large part of the fun resides. If you want something a bit more casual and forgiving, LoL. If you don't mind an even steeper learning curve, DotA 2.

Edit: These arguments are like comparing Tekken to Virtua Fighter, or BlazBlue to Street Fighter.

Top Bottom