• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Paper Mario and Mario Power Tennis join European Nintendo Selects line

Shiggy

Couldn't find a thread for this.

Super Paper Mario will finally see a reprint in Europe. The Nintendo Selects version will be published on June 22, which is this Friday. Shops have received their stock already.

Also, the New Play Control edition of Camelot's Mario Power Tennis is seeing a re-release again. The Nintendo Selects edition actually means a price increase. Previously, German customers were able to get the akTronic-published version for 20€, now it's 25€. Be warned, it will still not include a GameCube controls option. Unlike the NPC version, the Nintendo Selects version also doesn't have a reversible cover.

The next three weeks will have more interesting titles for Wii users. Nintendo Selects: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat sadly isn't on the horizon.

GBL_Wii_SuperPaperMario_NintendoSelects.jpg

AAgamebanner_Wii_MarioPowerTennis_enGB.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Definitely picking up Paper Mario. Never got to play it the first time round.

Prepare to get annoyed. Very, very annoyed. There are times in the game where IntSys just trolls you.

A lot of people seem eager to pick up Super Paper Mario now. Just don't expect it to be Paper Mario. This is not an RPG, it's a 2D platformer with RPG elements. It's easy, simple, repetitive, have terrible music and loads of writing. However, the writing is pretty damn good especially for Nintendo's standard, and there are some great moments in the game. Good art style and good level design too. But for me I found the game to get boring and I couldn't play it in long stretches. 'Tis a shame because the concept of going between 2D and 3D sounds amazing, but it's sooooo predictable and over-used. Can't progress? Flip intro 3D. Paper Mario 3DS looks better.

A lot of people seem eager to pick up Super Paper Mario now. Just don't expect it to be Paper Mario. This is not an RPG, it's a 2D platformer with RPG elements. It's easy, simple, repetitive, have terrible music and loads of writing. However, the writing is pretty damn good especially for Nintendo's standard, and there are some great moments in the game. Good art style and good level design too. But for me I found the game to get boring and I couldn't play it in long stretches.

What? No, it has great music, but absolutely terrible art style.

Overall, one of the worst games from Intelligent Systems. Even though Game & Wario might rival it soon in that regard. Really, get the other Paper Mario games instead if you do not have them yet or wait for the 3DS game.

What? No, it has great music, but absolutely terrible art style.

Heck no. I have a high musical standard -- I love game & film soundtracks, but SPM is weak. The game has a few decent tracks that I can think of, the one on world 1-1 for instance, but most of them are just fifteen second awful loops. The one you posted is average at best. It doesn't even come close to the score on other games. As for the art style, the game often looks beautiful, and a lot of creatures are cleverly designed. You post one piece of artwork and act as if it would represent the entire game. Everything from the water levels to the nerd castle look great.

Yazan

A lot of people seem eager to pick up Super Paper Mario now. Just don't expect it to be Paper Mario. This is not an RPG, it's a 2D platformer with RPG elements. It's easy, simple, repetitive, have terrible music and loads of writing. However, the writing is pretty damn good especially for Nintendo's standard, and there are some great moments in the game. Good art style and good level design too. But for me I found the game to get boring and I couldn't play it in long stretches. 'Tis a shame because the concept of going between 2D and 3D sounds amazing, but it's sooooo predictable and over-used. Can't progress? Flip intro 3D. Paper Mario 3DS looks better.

What?

Qurupeke

A lot of people seem eager to pick up Super Paper Mario now. Just don't expect it to be Paper Mario..

I'm one of them. It may not be an RPG, but it's still a good game. But yeah, I think that Paper Mario 3DS will be far greater.

So, any news about them? Are they coming to Europe?

Have you played the game? This alone proofs how good the writing is:

SuperPaperMario-MessageBoards.jpg

Granted it's no Alan Wake or Witcher 2, but it's witty and clever.

I'm one of them. It may not be an RPG, but it's still a good game. But yeah, I think that Paper Mario 3DS will be far greater.

So, any news about them? Are they coming to Europe?

Fair enough. Regarding if they're still coming, I can't find any information at Nintendo's website. If you guys want I can ask my friend who works at NoE tomorrow, but he's busy so he probably won't be able to answer in quite a few days anyhow. For all I know he might be on vacation by the way, I'm not sure.

Personally, I think the writing is abysmal. All of the other Paper Mario games (and the Mario & Luigi games) are written far better.

The writers of Super Paper Mario seemed to think that breaking the fourth wall in inherently funny, regardless of context, or how often they do it. The segment that pokes fun at "nerds" would be amusing if it didn't drive the gag into the ground. And everything else just falls flat on it's face.

Also, I couldn't disagree more that it has "good level design". I found it horrible (much like nearly everything else about the game), but kept at it because I wanted to see if it eventually got better. But I eventually threw in the towel and written the game off completely when I got to some maze in space that has you traversing identical screens and going in warps at random, hoping you find the way out.

Super Paper Mario is the single worst first-party Nintendo game I've played in years. It's not what it should be (an RPG), it's mediocre as what it is (a platformer), and it's quality is made all the more offensive by the fact that it tarnishes the Paper Mario series by association.

Qurupeke

Fair enough. Regarding if they're still coming, I can't find any information at Nintendo's website. If you guys want I can ask my friend who works at NoE tomorrow, but he's busy so he probably won't be able to answer in quite a few days anyhow. For all I know he might be on vacation by the way, I'm not sure.

That would be awesome and I don't care how much will it take to ask him. Take your time. I just want to know if these two games are coming as Nintendo Selects and when.

At Nintendo's website, you can find the two banners of the OP.

http://mediacontent.nintendo-europe...i/GBL_Wii_SuperPaperMario_NintendoSelects.jpg

So, this pretty much confirms they're coming, but not on June 22. I guess only the date was wrong.

Shiggy

Nintendo Selects versions of Super Paper Mario and Mario Power Tennis remain unreleased in a few European countries for now.

They are out in Germany, France, Italy.

That would be awesome and I don't care how much will it take to ask him. Take your time. I just want to know if these two games are coming as Nintendo Selects and when.

I already got an answer, but it wasn't what I expected. He replied: "Hi! When and where did Nintendo say that?". OP didn't put any link to a source for some reason, and he mentions some details like "shops have received their stock already" -- which obviously wasn't true. There's some boxart for them on NoE's website and they could/can be found on Amazon, but my mate over at NoE didn't even know about them, which is really weird. I sent him a link to NintendoEverything where they announce these news, and he would ask his co-workers.

The games have been released in a selected few European countries, which is really unusual for Nintendo. they usually release it all over Europe.

Super Paper Mario is SEVERELY underrated. I don't really see it as a Paper Mario game, but more as a cool spinoff with different mechanics. It's not everyday you get to play a platformer RPG and this one is pretty good.

Qurupeke

I already got an answer, but it wasn't what I expected. He replied: "Hi! When and where did Nintendo say that?". OP didn't put any link to a source for some reason, and he mentions some details like "shops have received their stock already" -- which obviously wasn't true. There's some boxart for them on NoE's website and they could/can be found on Amazon, but my mate over at NoE didn't even know about them, which is really weird. I sent him a link to NintendoEverything where they announce these news, and he would ask his co-workers.

The games have been released in a selected few European countries, which is really unusual for Nintendo. they usually release it all over Europe.

Thank you for the answer. That's really bad :( So, we just wait now, in case they decide to release them all over Europe...

Shiggy

Sorry for not posting a source, but it was a press release and also available on Nintendo's website later on.
The information "shops have received stock already" was true, at least for countries in which these re-releases were published.

For why your friend at NoE didn't know about them, I don't know. Does he work for the British branch and isn't involved in either the German, French, or Italian markets? That could be your explanation.

Not quite true. While it is highly surprising for already localised and already released games to not to be re-released in a few countries, NoE has published software on selected markets before. At the moment, Pokemon Conquest and Quiz Party are announced for only a few markets. In the past few years the same happened with 100 Classic Books and Active Health.

BowieZ

Banned
Heck no. I have a high musical standard -- I love game & film soundtracks, but SPM is weak. The game has a few decent tracks that I can think of, the one on world 1-1 for instance, but most of them are just fifteen second awful loops. The one you posted is average at best.
As a composer of game music, I love the SPM soundtrack. So quirky, inventive, yet catchy.

qq more

I loved the GC Paper Mario (Thousand Year Door?), how is the Wii version?

Super Paper Mario is the worst Paper Mario. I don't think I'll ever replay the game. But the writing is great so the game is worth one playthrough just for that. It's such a shame because I really wanted to like the game but it kept giving me reasons not to...

Sorry for not posting a source, but it was a press release and also available on Nintendo's website later on.
The information "shops have received stock already" was true, at least for countries in which these re-releases were published.

For why your friend at NoE didn't know about them, I don't know. Does he work for the British branch and isn't involved in either the German, French, or Italian markets? That could be your explanation.

--

Not quite true. While it is highly surprising for already localised and already released games to not to be re-released in a few countries, NoE has published software on selected markets before. At the moment, Pokemon Conquest and Quiz Party are announced for only a few markets. In the past few years the same happened with 100 Classic Books and Active Health.

Well, honestly, then you should have specified that it was only in a select number of countries. My friend at NoE actually hasn't told me much about what exactly he does at NoE. You have to move to Germany if you want to work at NoE, so we only ever keep in touch with e-mail, and we really don't contact each other that much sadly. It's reeeeally secretive over there too. But usually he knows what's going on. So yeah, strange.

And I do stand by that I think it's really unusual of Nintendo to release a game in only a few European countries. A few games = unusual. The four games you mentioned are minor games, except for Pokemon Conquest. Super Paper Mario is "bigger" (though not necessarily better) than those games and it's just a re-release, so releasing it in just a few countries seem weird.

As a composer of game music, I love the SPM soundtrack. So quirky, inventive, yet catchy.

You compose game music? Really? That's awesome if true -- what's your portfolio?

In any case, I just have to disagree. I stand by that I think SPM has average tunes that are just loops. It doesn't even come close to say, Okami, Nier, Xenoblade, Assassin's Creed, any other Mario game, Zelda, or, well, any game. The Paper Mario series has always been Nintendo's black sheep in terms of music, and I'm not sure why -- Mario Galaxy has an alright soundtrack. I remember playing Paper Mario 64 and one of my only issues was that every song was fifteen seconds long. SPM is better, but not by much. For Paper Mario 3DS, I hope they've hired a different composer.

Rafaelcsa

Why are people always so damn extreme? A game is either the "best evah", "GOTY", "GOTG", etc, or total trash, terrible, worst game ever, etc.

Super Paper Mario may not be the best Paper Mario but is far from the hyperbole people are spitting out in this thread. It's an average game, period. It has high points in its writing, art design and music. It has good ideas (RPG + Platforming, 2D + 3D), that are not fully executed. Level design is a bit weak. That's about it. It's not a terrible game by any means, it's just a bit weak. No need for hyperboles.

The way people talk about this game makes it seem that it's as bad as the worst of Wii's shovelware... Get a grip people.

Shiggy

Well, honestly, then you should have specified that it was only in a select number of countries.

I didn't know until this thread came up yesterday. I then clarified it today, and you reconfirmed that later on. Nintendo does not send out press releases saying "hey, but it's not coming out in GB and Italy". It was already difficult to learn where Pokemon Conquest and Quiz Party are going to be released.

My friend at NoE actually hasn't told me much about what exactly he does at NoE. You have to move to Germany if you want to work at NoE, so we only ever keep in touch with e-mail, and we really don't contact each other that much sadly. It's reeeeally secretive over there too. But usually he knows what's going on. So yeah, strange.

I wasn't quite sure whether you were referencing a 'real' NoE employee (i.e. someone who works in Großostheim) or someone from a local branch. If it had been the latter, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had not heard of it.

And I do stand by that I think it's really unusual of Nintendo to release a game in only a few European countries. A few games = unusual. The four games you mentioned are minor games, except for Pokemon Conquest. Super Paper Mario is "bigger" (though not necessarily better) than those games and it's just a re-release, so releasing it in just a few countries seem weird.

I will not dispute this. It IS weird in this case, I absolutely agree with that.

elektrixx

Banned
Super Paper Mario was the first Paper Mario I played to length. I can't play the other games now; I think they're inferior.

Jackano

+1.

The remix of one of the Mario (World I believe?) themes heard in the first level is one of my favorite Mario tracks ever.

For what it's worth I often have the feeling NoE for UK and others NoE are a little separated. NoE UK seems to be working closer to NoA than the other NoE divisions.
Which was one of the reasons, I believe, why London got the Zelda Symphony concert and no one else in Europe. End of parenthesis :)

Qurupeke

Possibly I'm the only one that still cares about the Nintendo Selects: Super Paper Mario, but I think I've got some good news. I haven't confirmed this 100% yet but these two games (and probably some more, like Wii Sports Resort) are to appear this March(15/3) on Europe. Well, they're actually going to be available to more countries, as they appeared to only a specific ones...

And if this really happen, why the heck would NoE release them now? The previous months had no Nintendo games and the NS would be a cool addition...

I just realized the OP is old but saw the bump post, hope this means NA gets two more.

Fucking finally, I was afraid they were ending the line.

Please add Pikmin 1 (for consistency with Pikmin 2) and Fire Emblem, those are my 2 most wanted ones. I wouldn't object to WarioWare and all the Primes separately.

Here I'll just repost a list I made:

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Excite Truck
Excitebots: Trick Racing
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (this did come out in Europe)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast (shame it didn't turn out well, but at least put it like last of the priority list)
Pikmin 1 (to go with Pikmin 2 so we have both as NS games)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Endless Ocean

Mzo

Prepare to get annoyed. Very, very annoyed. There are times in the game where IntSys just trolls you.
The game does have weird torture elements in it, where the developer is actively inconveniencing you. It's a weird game.

Berordn

Super Paper Mario is an interesting experience if nothing else. It actively twists every trope you encounter and puts it on its head, then plays it straight in the same breath. It's got a lot of weird gameplay issues, but such is to be expected of an RPG platformer that downplays the platforming. Still worth trying if nothing else.

edit: wow what a bump.

Qurupeke

Yeah, sorry for the bump but I wanted to let anyone who was interested in SPM know about this. Just wait a bit and in a few weeks we will probably have an official announcement...

Yeah, sorry for the bump but I wanted to let anyone who was interested in SPM know about this. Just wait a bit and in a few weeks we will probably have an official announcement...

I don't get it, you're saying these will be out on Mar 15th in Europe... when they already were in June?

Super is a great game, easily the second best in the series. The writing, characters, and art style are brilliant, and the gameplay is reasonable entertaining. The only issue is that it's absurdly easy.

Super is a great game, easily the second best in the series. The writing, characters, and art style are brilliant, and the gameplay is reasonable entertaining. The only issue is that it's absurdly easy.

Granted, I played it five years ago, but I really enjoyed this game. No clue how I would view it now, but I thought it was charming and hilarious.

Super Paper Mario.

One of the most poorly designed Nintendo games of all-time. With the most annoying Nintendo soundtrack of all-time.

Fuck Super Paper Mario. It really should have had a world map akin to Paper Mario 3DS rather than that backtracking city garbage.

Top Bottom