• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS in vehicle form confirmed for Sonic Racing Transformed @ SummerOfSonic

Kokonoe

Banned
Update Reala is in the third pic.
Horrible quality screenshots below.

ReiDG.png

sLmYf.png

AfiFO.png

7uP97.png

Seems a NiGHTS level is confirmed too.

A little off topic but it's crazy to me that a company like SEGA retains a better All-Star cast than Sony does. They need to just go beyond the racing genre...

A little off topic but it's crazy to me that a company like SEGA retains a better All-Star cast than Sony does. They need to just go beyond the racing genre...

I'd personally love Sega to make a Fighter's Megamix 2 myself, with all sorts of oddball/obscure characters thrown in. Or maybe something like Project X Zone except Sega only and with more of an emphasis on plot than simply fanservice

Eh, not really that crazy. Japanese companies have always been better at having a big roster of memorable characters. Sony's always been somewhat decent at it but "mascots" have never been their strongest point, even if they do have a good amount of liked characters. I think Sony have always kinda forced it when they do try and make mascots, whilst SEGA have been great at it both when they're trying (Sonic) and when they're not.

This is actually the first time I hear someone who thinks SEGA All-Stars Racing has a good cast of characters. I really like the original game and thought the driving mechanics worked great, but the cast of characters was awful. SEGA barely have any notable characters outside of Sonic, really. Most of the characters are old who haven't had a new game since seemingly forever -- some not even since the 80's if I recall correctly. Really weak in my opinion.

This is actually the first time I hear someone who thinks SEGA All-Stars Racing has a good cast of characters. I really like the original game and thought the driving mechanics worked great, but the cast of characters was awful. SEGA barely have any notable characters outside of Sonic, really. Most of the characters are old who haven't had a new game since seemingly forever -- some not even since the 80's if I recall correctly. Really weak in my opinion.

Clearly you missed everyone going bonkers over Opa-Opa, and fucking Ryo.

Clearly you missed everyone going bonkers over Opa-Opa, and fucking Ryo.

Really, Opa-opa? I heard people loving (obviously) the Sonic characters and there was also love for Ryo and the Taxi Driver, but that's about it. I never really heard anyone who actually thought the game had a good cast. Personally I really thought the original had a throwaway cast, but I didn't mind since the driving mechanics were so fun. I assume the same will go for Transformed -- weak cast but good gameplay.

Takao

Banned

It depends on when and where you were raised. I was raised in the mid/late 90s so PlayStation and its franchises reigned supreme. That's what I know like the back of my hand, and while I also know a lot of SEGA stuff in many cases I've never played a single game in those series.

It's a good cast! Lots of personality. There's a fair amount of big omissions- many have already been rectified, although Ristar and Vectorman are odd choices when PSO and Wonder Boy characters are still missing- but they made some cracking choices. The only duds for me (ignoring the Sonic characters) are the HOTD EX zombies and the Bonanza Bros (wtf?). I haven't even played that many of the represented games but I know fun characters when I see them.

Unicorn

I'd personally love Sega to make a Fighter's Megamix 2 myself, with all sorts of oddball/obscure characters thrown in. Or maybe something like Project X Zone except Sega only and with more of an emphasis on plot than simply fanservice
I love you.

TheOGB

Banned
Really, Opa-opa? I heard people loving (obviously) the Sonic characters and there was also love for Ryo and the Taxi Driver, but that's about it. I never really heard anyone who actually thought the game had a good cast. Personally I really thought the original had a throwaway cast, but I didn't mind since the driving mechanics were so fun. I assume the same will go for Transformed -- weak cast but good gameplay.
I'm a Sonic fan and didn't like how many Sonic characters there were. I wanted more throwbacks, even if I didn't know who they were.

What's the name of the dude from Comix Zone? :p

Lijik

It's a good cast! Lots of personality. There's a fair amount of big omissions- many have already been rectified, although Ristar and Vectorman are odd choices when PSO and Wonder Boy characters are still missing- but they made some cracking choices. The only duds for me (ignoring the Sonic characters) are the HOTD EX zombies and the Bonanza Bros (wtf?). I haven't even played that many of the represented games but I know fun characters when I see them.
I loved the Bonanza Bros, such an oddball pick but their animations were charming and made them the most fun to race as.

Berordn

For the sake of the whole Transformation aspect of the game. I think NiGHTS transformed into different things in Journey of Dreams, too.
NiGHTS has always been a shapeshifter, he/she transformed a few times in his/her first game too. The sequel just chose some... terrifying ways for that to work.

Unicorn

I'm a Sonic fan and didn't like how many Sonic characters there were. I wanted more throwbacks, even if I didn't know who they were.

What's the name of the dude from Comix Zone? :p

Sketch Turner

NiGHTS has always been a shapeshifter, he/she transformed a few times in his/her first game too. The sequel just chose some... terrifying ways for that to work.

Bobsled NiGHTS!

Suairyu

Banned
Opa-Opa had me going fucking ape shit excited. Fantasy Zone II on Master System was where it was at.

I always wanted Ecco The Dolphin in Superstars Racing. Like, just flopping along, getting more bruised and bloody the further along the track you went. He'd be the slowest character in the entire game, but when you got the Superstar move he'd turn into time-travelling, space-flying Ecco and it'd be like insta-win.

Actually that was my biggest gripe. The Superstar moves were basically "if you suck, use these to not suck quite as bad so you can finish 10th rather than 15th". They should have been more tactical and available to racers at every point in the leaderboard.

Actually that was my biggest gripe. The Superstar moves were basically "if you suck, use these to not suck quite as bad so you can finish 10th rather than 15th". They should have been more tactical and available to racers at every point in the leaderboard.

They rectified that for this one. You earn points/stars/whatever for doing stunts, drifting, etc, and you get an All-Star move when you get enough. I think they said you find it easier to get All-Star moves if you're doing badly, but anybody can get them.

M3d10n

I thought NiGHTS can fly? Why turn her into a vehicle?

NiGHTS could transform in a range of different forms in the original game. In the snow level, he transforms into a snow sled and you can see the kid riding it when he does.

Great stuff! I'm so glad NiGHTs is no longer Iizuka's flying Lakitu from the last game. And Spring Valley looks like it just came out of a Galaxy game. So good.

I loved the Bonanza Bros, such an oddball pick but their animations were charming and made them the most fun to race as.
Yeah: while I can see why people may not be so excited about the cast in these games if they didn't recognize the characters personally, there's still a lot of variety and glorious homage within the cast itself. Alex Kidd and the Bonanza Bros. would normally go un-noticed in gaming history, but not by SEGA!

Suairyu

Banned
They rectified that for this one. You earn points/stars/whatever for doing stunts, drifting, etc, and you get an All-Star move when you get enough. I think they said you find it easier to get All-Star moves if you're doing badly, but anybody can get them.
Good, looking forward to it.

And as everyone has transforming vehicles, hopefully there will be no balancing issues like bikes dominating everything in the first game. Playing the game with friends was a race to see who could select Alex Kidd before the others.

Looks like it's just karts this time around, though I think Joe Musashi is using something else that isn't a bike. There won't be anything that can pull straight-wheelie, anyway.

Really, Opa-opa? I heard people loving (obviously) the Sonic characters and there was also love for Ryo and the Taxi Driver, but that's about it. I never really heard anyone who actually thought the game had a good cast.

I liked it. I would prefer if they had trimmed back some of the sonic characters for more sega but beat, ulala, ryo, amigo, the monkey ball monkey, virtua fighter guys, billy hatcher and the crazy taxi guy are all good choices. Its the ones like big the cat and shadow i could have done without.

Gravijah

Eh, not really that crazy. Japanese companies have always been better at having a big roster of memorable characters. Sony's always been somewhat decent at it but "mascots" have never been their strongest point, even if they do have a good amount of liked characters. I think Sony have always kinda forced it when they do try and make mascots, whilst SEGA have been great at it both when they're trying (Sonic) and when they're not.

but sony is japanese...

Berordn

I liked it. I would prefer if they had trimmed back some of the sonic characters for more sega but beat, ulala, ryo, amigo, the monkey ball monkey, virtua fighter guys, billy hatcher and the crazy taxi guy are all good choices. Its the ones like big the cat and shadow i could have done without.

But... Big was perfect.

Top Bottom