• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam expanding beyond games, adding "software" on Sept. 5

salromano

Presser:

STEAM EXPANDS BEYOND GAMES

Launch Set of "Software" Titles Coming Sept 5

Aug 8, 2012 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first set of Software titles are heading to Steam, marking a major expansion to the platform most commonly known as a leading destination for PC and Mac games.

The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

More Software titles will be added in an ongoing fashion following the September 5th launch, and developers will be welcome to submit Software titles via Steam Greenlight.

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Can't wait for the sweet sales on Photoshop this Winter.

Do they say what programs will be available when this occurs?

From recent entries in the registry, there are several game development tools that will be sold (GameMaker for example), benchmarking tools (like 3DMark), and Linux distros (SUSE).

I wouldn't be surprised if we see software from Stardock.

Atomski

Didnt Gabe say something about talking to Adobe a while back? Like how it should have a free to play model? :p

Edit here it is

"That causes us to have conversations with Adobe, and we say the next version of Photoshop should look like a free-to-play game, and they say, 'We have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds really bad,'" Newell said.

Wonder if this is just set up for the European court anti trust scenario? I know they've been talking about it for a while but it doesn't seem like such a complicated move to make.

Steam had a nice run no wonder they hate win 8 app store.
Can't abandon it to much money invested.
But would love a 90% off 3D studio max license :)

SparkTR

From recent entries in the registry, there are several game development tools that will be sold (GameMaker for example), benchmarking tools (like 3DMark), and Linux distros (SUSE).

I wouldn't be surprised if we see software from Stardock.

I'd love to see Fences and ObjectDock on there.

larvi

Great, now I can lose access to business critical productivity software at Valve's discretion as well as my games. Actually Impulse did this as well (at least for Stardock non-game software) and I currently "own" their full object desktop suite that I'll never be able to install again should I have to rebuild my computer since it is an older release level that their client won't install unless I pay for an upgrade. Gotta love these digital rentals.

Do they say what programs will be available when this occurs?

From Steam app:

Hb8fb.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Do they have achievements?

I'm only half joking

Just the Two of You
Crop your first photo

I Know How Printers Work
Switch from RGB color mode to CYMK color mode

So This is What Acid Feels Like
Apply three filters to the same image

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu
Restart after a crash to discover you hadn't saved your work for half an hour

D3RANG3D

Welp that about wraps it up for Steam...Valve will now focus on non-gaming services/software like the major console manufacturers :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I imagine a lot of the initial programs will be free ones. Stuff like RPG Maker are free and tying them to the Workshop will only make it easier to share projects.

Do they have achievements?

I'm only half joking
I'm totally expecting Office to get achievements at some point in the future so it would seem only fair. Except your Office docs would be saved like GFWL games, so make backups.

Well, this could make sales interesting.

Loam

Well that certainly sheds light on their recent Windows 8 comments. My bet is on them distributing software that would boost contributions to the Steam workshop. "Buy modeling program X and for a limited time get Making Hats 101 for free!" etc.

Top Bottom