• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam expanding beyond games, adding "software" on Sept. 5

GPL requires software to be free.

No it doesn't.

Whoever told you that was either misinformed, or were promoting their own agenda.

In order to compete with DirectX, a corporation would have to develop their API for a profit. They're contradictory.

Intel open source their graphics cards drivers on Linux and don't have a problem with doing that. Valve have recently been spending money working with Intel on those drivers precisely to allow better performance of games on Linux.

Microsoft themselves have contributed large amounts of code to open source works.

The Steamworks API is closed source but is not being released with any cost for developers to use, and is frequently updated.

There is literally no reason why a company 'must' charge

If they don't release under GPL, it won't be accepted by the larger GNU/Linux community.

That's mostly speculation, but apart from there being a number of Open Source licences that are not GPL (and something like Apache is very popular) the drivers for both ATI and Nvidia are both used by Linux owners and closed source.

People use them, because they have no real alternative not to.

It would be better off for everyone if ATI and Nvidia open sourced their drivers, because it would mean they were updated more often.

derFeef

I have not really thought about Unity, UDK in the store. Now I am getting excited.
Also please let me add my zBrush and Silo keys, then! :D

Blizzard

Banned
UDK better be added with the option to auto-update to the latest revision.
Would that even work? As far as I know one of the reasons UDK games have such huge patches is because it's not easy to just drop in files to replace them, plus new UDK versions occasionally break old maps. I'd hate to have Steam force me to autoupdate unless they actually make updating optional. Now THAT is a feature I'd love to see on Steam (with the even better option of loading a previous version, but I'd even be content with the option to play a game without updating it).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AFAIK it already is, and available to all in your Tools section.

Nah, that's just the executable that recognizes when you boot up UDK projects.

Would that even work? As far as I know one of the reasons UDK games have such huge patches is because it's not easy to just drop in files to replace them, plus new UDK versions occasionally break old maps. I'd hate to have Steam force me to autoupdate unless they actually make updating optional. Now THAT is a feature I'd love to see on Steam (with the even better option of loading a previous version, but I'd even be content with the option to play a game without updating it).
Oh for fucks sake, I said OPTION TO UPDATE.

Exuro

I'm hoping part of the reason they're not revealing BPM soon is that they're adding big features to Steam like being able to have multiple accounts online for split screen gaming, on top of adding split screen gaming to several older titles.

I still can't see them keeping the same layout for the store with addition to non gaming software.

Catshade

The last thing I want is other people in my house having to use my Steam login account just to make spreadsheets or editing photos.

No it doesn't.

Whoever told you that was either misinformed, or were promoting their own agenda.

Yes, but that purchaser has distribution rights. So they'll basically sell it a few hundred times per release, if even.

Intel open source their graphics cards drivers on Linux and don't have a problem with doing that. Valve have recently been spending money working with Intel on those drivers precisely to allow better performance of games on Linux.

That's because Intel's graphics are essentially a service provided to customers. They in no way thrive or depend, at all, on their GPUs. ATI and Nvidia don't open source their drivers because they wouldn't have a unified platform for developers to release on. Any functionality added by the community wouldn't be supported by devs because it would severely limit their target demographic.

Microsoft themselves have contributed large amounts of code to open source works.

The Steamworks API is closed source but is not being released with any cost for developers to use, and is frequently updated.

Is this even relevant?

There is literally no reason why a company 'must' charge

Except for the fact that, to compete with DirectX, a massive team would need to be assembled to work on it full time. That wouldn't just happen by community support. A company would NEED to take charge of developing that API, and a company obviously COULDN'T survive if it didn't charge for its product.

DirectX is starting to show that it's going to forcibly take lead in the API war with DX11. It's getting to a point where the organization of Khronos won't be able to keep up with the development of DirectX.

That's mostly speculation, but apart from there being a number of Open Source licences that are not GPL (and something like Apache is very popular) the drivers for both ATI and Nvidia are both used by Linux owners and closed source.

People use them, because they have no real alternative not to.

It would be better off for everyone if ATI and Nvidia open sourced their drivers, because it would mean they were updated more often.

It would be better off for Linux users to have a more functional machine, but it would fudge the line for what is and isn't supported by each user. You'll end up with a bunch of forks from different versions, and the userbase will be segmented and progress slow, just like the Android platform now.

Regardless, because of the structure of GNU/Linux and the nature of a company to keep its source closed, it just won't be happening there. GNU/Linux just isn't a viable platform for something of such complexity and time investment.

I get that all of the GNU/Linux users want to live in some happy-go-lucky world where source code is free to roam the plains and any man can do as he pleases, but that's directly contradictory to the corporate structure of the world today.

Top Bottom