• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam expanding beyond games, adding "software" on Sept. 5

Mudkips

Banned
Gee, why is steam clamping down on people who abuse gifting to avoid region locks?
Gee, why is Valve so angry about the store in Windows 8?
Gee, why would Steam push out that extra shitty ToS?

scitek

You forgot TV/VCR Repair.
struthers.jpg

I remember those commercials being on all the time and her doing the voice of Rebecca Cunningham on TaleSpin simultaneously. Shit was crazy.

How is this ging to affect you? If you don#t like it buy your software in another way.

I haven´t bought any software in years - everything is either free open source software or supplied with my computer purchases.

What I worry about is Steam taking a risk of losing some of it´s focus and profile because of this. It doesn´t have to have any practical effect on me at all, but the feeling is not good. Which is why I wrote "not sure".

derFeef

Man, Steam is going to be a catastrophe for everyone ... no I am not going there, but I have to say it tastes a little bitter.

And please Valve, when you add software and movies - just fix this crappy category system at the same time, and the basic features that one expects of similiar UI but Steam lacks (sorting of categories, renaming, add/remove several items at once, delete categories, etc).

I really don't like the idea Steam going in this direction. I'm hoping that games at least stay at the forefront of the platform, there's only so much retail space on the front page and I'd like it to stay dedicated to games.

I don't want it turning into another App store where anything worth buying is hard to find.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not opposed to this idea but I don't see myself reaching for application software from Steam, but eh, this might change.

Gowans

Catching up to the Apple App Store for Mac and getting ahead of thr Win 8 Store for PC.

Well done Valve.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gee, why is steam clamping down on people who abuse gifting to avoid region locks?
Gee, why is Valve so angry about the store in Windows 8?
Gee, why would Steam push out that extra shitty ToS?

This isn't true at all. The users were punished for using a VPN to bypass their respective regional stores, not for gifting. To quote myself from that thread:

This has practically nothing to do with Steam's gifting system and everything to do with the misuse of VPNs to purchase games for oneself from the store of another region wherein said games are notably cheaper. User A in Region X is still perfectly free to gift games to User B in Region Y.

Chinner

Banned
i wonder if steam is stalling to fail under the pressure of origin, gfwl etc? valve has been shrouded in controversy all of this year and have fallen from the stars sort of speak. i wonder if there revenue has dropped so they have to resort to selling other software?

dock

I bet someone could release a relatively plain Word doc compatible word processor exclusive to Steam and make a fortune.

How is this ging to affect you? If you don#t like it buy your software in another way.

Well, people really seem to hate it when a platform for games decides to spend it's time and resources on non-game products (See Xbox360) because it means that money and time could have been spent on games or tailoring the platform better for games.

Personally, I don't care if Steam sells other products or not. Whatever makes them money. However, this makes it very clear why Gabe hates the Windows 8 AppStore so much now. And when Valve makes their big Linux push they want to be the major supplier of ALL kinds of apps there too, probably.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's bad news because instead of an open market, you'll instead have three - if not way more - competing ecosystems: Windows Store, Mac Store and Steam.

Edit: and I mean three non-compatible ecosystems. That's the problem.

That's utter nonsense.

Do you even know what Steam is?

Chinner

Banned
anyone else thinking of swapping from steam to origin? its obvious that valve are not serious about hardcore gaming anymore, ea seems a lot more reliable at this point.

Won

I have no idea how this will work and what exacly they will offer, so I will hate on it for now.

scitek

Sorry, but when we're talking about software that my job could depend on, I can't see myself buying it from a service that's offline mode is consistently broken. Games are one thing, but I'm not entrusting access to anything essential with Valve.

derFeef

*blinks*

Are you joking?

Chinner is always serious.

Sorry, but when we're talking about software that my job could depend on, I can't see myself buying it from a service that's offline mode is consistently broken. Games are one thing, but I'm not entrusting access to anything essential with Valve.

Depends if they upkeep the current DRM system with those software titles.

anyone else thinking of swapping from steam to origin? its obvious that valve are not serious about hardcore gaming anymore, ea seems a lot more reliable at this point.
Non-game software is probably on the Origin development roadmap. For 2016, right after achievements.

Chinner

Banned
*blinks*

Are you joking?

valve announced half life 3 over 6 years ago. and we still don't have it. valve games suffer from valve time and the graphics are not very good and we don't even get like perk systems or iron sights. seriously outdated developer.

i know ea keeps up with modern trends and they're reliable. battlefield 4 is coming out next year, and then battlefield 5 will be 2013. if i want to play more inbetween i can play medal of honour or purchase any of the vast affordable dlc.

MNC

I'll echo my sentiments once more: I don't need people to see wether I'm typing up my essay or not and the likes. Consider me uninterested in this.

valve announced half life 3 over 6 years ago. and we still don't have it. valve games suffer from valve time and the graphics are not very good and we don't even get like perk systems or iron sights. seriously outdated developer.

i know ea keeps up with modern trends and they're reliable. battlefield 4 is coming out next year, and then battlefield 5 will be 2013. if i want to play more inbetween i can play medal of honour or purchase any of the vast affordable dlc.

:lol

coopolon

I strongly agree. If they want people to start using Steam for software that is actually essential to productivity, they sure as hell better fix offline mode so that if my internet goes out I'm not stuck not being able to work.

A lot of productivity software suites also come with multi-machine licenses. Curious if Steam will make allowances for that (simultaneous use I mean), or if just it won't be there on Steam programs.

Top Bottom