• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam expanding beyond games, adding "software" on Sept. 5

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Losing access over a purchase dispute doesn't happen anymore. Valve changed it late last year and now the only thing you lose is the ability to purchase anything on the store, activate new cd keys, and play online.

Not quite. Generally, you'll be hit with these restrictions:

support.png

However, if Valve suspects the account has been used by somebody else, Steam Community access will also be disabled:

support2.png

(Images taken from SPUF.)

Shai-Tan

Banned
what I want to know is how the cloud would work. it's obvious how it works for games because they don't share files with other games but general application often use the same files or the output of one application is the input for another so it would need to be like dropbox or other like cloud storage, would it not?

see5harp

I'm not interested in buying productivity software through Steam but I have no problem with it. I think if there was a significant audience willing to spend money on a linux version of Photoshop, Adobe would have ported it already.

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, there's no good reason for this not to happen, I just don't want to see an ad cluttered Xbox 360 dashboard in Steam's future.

Durante

I'm a lot more negative about Steam than most GAFers, but I honestly don't see a single negative about this.

For those concerned: what are the problems with Steam selling software? I'm honestly curious.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Imagine needing online to run Photoshop.
Adobe would fucking LOVE this and are not-so-slowly rolling in that direction anyway. As of CS6, they're the only authorized retailer for upgrade licenses. Plus the whole "Creative Cloud" service.

I guess Adobe hawking their subscription service via Steam doesn't seem THAT wild. I guess. Stranger things have happened.

Rapstah

I just hope the app store will be separate from the game store. Although that's pretty damn unlikely.

It seems pretty likely that it will be, actually. I can imagine a fifth tab on top. It makes no sense to have people search for "photoshop" and get Photoshop and six games that mention it in their description.

delirium

I'm a lot more negative about Steam than most GAFers, but I honestly don't see a single negative about this.

For those concerned: what are the problems with Steam selling software? I'm honestly curious.
There's really nothing wrong with it except they might dilute their focus, time, and energy.

I'm sure it'll be a seperate library, and somewhat segmented store. Also I doubt it'll force Steam overlay depending on the software. Plus it'll probably have different protocols for offline mode, again depending on the software.

Chill out guys. They're not stupid.

Oh and the "THIS IS WHY GABE IS TALKING MESS ABOUT WINDOWS 8" is ridiculously moronic.

HoosTrax

Because they're spread thin enough as it is just handling distributing games. Not enough resources.

Maybe it's a moot issue and I'm worried over nothing since they sell movies, digital magazines, and Source Filmmaker anyway. Maybe it's not much different on their end getting the whole system to work with other types of software -- I don't know.

LOL, no reason to trust Steam with your games anymore. Now to trust them with software that normally doesn't have the same level of DRM... lol

Don't agree with the new terms?
Think your going to use your software?
images

Exuro

Because they're spread thin enough as it is just handling distributing games. Not enough resources.

Maybe it's a moot issue and I'm worried over nothing since they sell movies, digital magazines, and Source Filmmaker anyway. Maybe it's not much different on their end getting the whole system to work with other types of software -- I don't know.
Being "spread thin" is due to their current content system. They've already addressed the issue and are in the process of moving everything over to a more dynamic system.

Salsa

Yeah completely new category is the way to go. Dont swarm me with software ads in between my game ads.

Honestly what excites me more about this is the possibility for a client update and UI change. Maybe they'll do one big update with this and big picture mode (yeah right)

coopolon

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, there's no good reason for this not to happen, I just don't want to see an ad cluttered Xbox 360 dashboard in Steam's future.

They've always left the library view pretty much untouched and you can open directly to that.

Exuro

Honestly what excites me more about this is the possibility for a client update and UI change. Maybe they'll do one big update with this and big picture mode (yeah right)
They might as well. They have to do a lot of work to get a proper controller UI so updating the kbm side sounds like a no brainer.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
LOL, no reason to trust Steam with your games anymore. Now to trust them with software that normally doesn't have the same level of DRM... lol

images

Was wondering when you were gonna show up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

images

Having to agree to the SSA in order to access your games is unfortunate and something I hope is addressed for reasons I stated in that thread (to paraphrase, "Those who disobey the SSA after having agreed to it are afforded greater access to their accounts than those who'd prefer to decline."), but that has always been the case. I'm not saying you should have been aware, but the "anymore" implies it's a recent development, which it is not.

What changed?

Nothing.

Giran

I'm guessing a separate tab, Like "Games", "Library", "Community"?

I meant on the store, not the client.

It seems pretty likely that it will be, actually. I can imagine a fifth tab on top. It makes no sense to have people search for "photoshop" and get Photoshop and six games that mention it in their description.

Having all your wares in the same place encourages more purchases. Steam is mostly for gamers and will continue to be like that for a while. If they wouldn't display their deals and library along with games, most people would never bother to check.

Well usually, when I 'own' something like Office I don't lose access to it if I dispute a purchase of another product somewhere down the line.

I don't like the idea that Valve can restrict my access to ALL my licenses if we have a disagreement over a completely separate product. It just reeks of bullying.

So, I'm guessing this is just a disdain for Steam as an entire platform and has nothing to do with the product in question being software applications or games? So why do you really care either way?

That's not FUD. That's a VALID concern. What does anyone look like paying $300 for a program only to have the ability to not use it if you can't connect to the internet first or just have steam up and take away your ability to use software that you've paid a mint for. Screw that. I like steam for the sales and buying cheap games, but software I'll purchase separately. Don't need DRM overlaying painter.

So you think a software applications provider would give Steam complete exclusivity for an application suite? Really? This is a real, honest concern you have?

Does not mean it grows because it (OpenOffice) has a large user base alraedy (that's what I mean).

Sure, but new distribution channels always open up a product to new users. How could it hurt?

Saige

I must do better.
So they’re just expanding on the non-game stuff they already do like Source Filmmaker and movies?

Could be cool if they figure out a way to organize that stuff better.

Burekma

Mixed feelings about this.

Hope it isn't shoehorned in, and they do some reorganizing to both the store and the client to accommodate the new addition. I wouldn't want programs to be under my "all games" filter, and neither would I want them to be in the "tools" section. As for the store, it needs a new section specifically for programs, and there needs to be a filter under "new releases, top sellers, etc." to exclude programs.

Top Bottom