• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

The slug extended more tentacles, and wrapped up her entire body. Enfolded mercilessly, the wire-like tentacles cut into the flesh of her stomach and thighs.

"Let me go!! Let me go!! Let me go back home!!"

Asuna cried almost crazily, but the tentacles showed no signs of loosening.

"I can't do that, the boss will kill me. More importantly, aren't you bored in this place with nothing? How about we play with some electronic drugs? I was getting tired of those dolls anyway."

As he said those words, the cold, damp tentacles stroked Asuna's face.

"S...Stop!! What do you...!?"

Asuna desperately resisted, but the slug immediately extended new tentacles. Touching the skin of Asuna's leg, the tentacles slowly reached up into her dress.

The slug, taking advantage of that, moved a tentacle toward her mouth.

A classic scene.

Dresden

Kawahara is the greatest of all time. :bow

While shouting, he grabbed the red ribbon at the collar of Asuna's dress with his right hand. As he pulled, the cloth stretched and tore. The thin blood-red ribbon fluttered through the air without a sound and landed on the ground before my eyes.

From the torn dress the pure white skin of her chest was greatly exposed. Asuna's face was distorted in humiliation and her eyes shut so tightly she shook.

Sugou bent back, laughing with a smirk while stretching his right hand out to Asuna's bare skin. His lips opened in the shape of a crescent moon and he stuck out his vivid red tongue. While making a sound of dripping mucus, he licked from below Asuna's cheek up.

"Ku, ku, shall I tell you what I am thinking about?"

Sugou said in a voice tinged with a fevered madness while his tongue was still sticking out near Asuna's ear.

"Once I fully enjoy this place I'll go to your hospital room. If I lock the door and turn off the camera, that room becomes a secret room. You and I, just the two of us. I'll set up a large monitor and run today's recording and enjoy myself with the other you! I'll take my time and go carefully. After all, it is your real body. After taking the purity of your heart here, I'll take the purity of your body there!! So fun, a truly unique experience!!"

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 - Group H, Day 2 Results

H02
1st 197 Minko Tsurugi @ Hanasaku Iroha
2nd 179 Shouko Kirishima @ Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
3rd 82 Kirie Konoe @ Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia

H06
1st 244 Nano Shinonome @ Nichijou
2nd 124 Henrietta De Tristain @ Zero's Familiar
3rd 119 Ako Shirabe @ Suite Pretty Cure

H10
1st 209 Elucia De Lute Irma @ The World God Only Knows
2nd 198 Kana Ikeda @ Saki
3rd 112 Eucliwood Hellscythe @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

-----------------------------

Today's match preview
Mayaka's time to shine.

Branduil

ibvfQWuEZvQjL7.gif

Jex

Parents and relatives, obviously.

I imagine there are a lot of deaths from neglect as well, as NEETs living by themselves die of dehydration.

I just assumed that most of the players for a Virtual Reality headset would be NEETs living alone, so I'm surprised they're not all dead.

Ginga e Kickoff 17
tumblr_m9hfe1Rmi41qiy0cao1_500.png

That was really touching and everything, so many smiles just the whole flashback and all, he was such a good kid (and really two years ago?) just how young is he?

I saw Aoto Gonzales...we need him in a match!

Jex

Something which is largely glossed over by the show itself. Yes, the deaths of the odd individual matters to the show a great deal, but the actual consequences of thousands of people dying in reality hasn't been explored at all yet. A missed opportunity.

Jex

I was going to talk about the Natsuyuki but I feel that duckroll pretty much covers it all here:

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Episode 10-11 (END)

Wow, that was an interesting way to end the series. I wasn't quite expecting it, but it fit the tone of the show. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the series on a whole. This makes it the second noitaminA show this year, after Kids on the Slope, which is so faithful to the classic noitaminA formula and yet so uneven that while it starts and ends on satisfying notes, it doesn't really feel strong and cohesive on a whole.

Also, everyone who said ep10 was way too long was right, but the final line really made it all worthwhile. I'm glad I didn't have to wait a week after that, lol.

Series spoilers:

How I see the series now that it is over is that this was really a sort of modern ghost fable in the classic Japanese supernatural tale sense. It is basically a cautionary tale about the dangers of a young man with an infatuation falling for a widow who might not be over her husband. The husband being a ghost in this context is both a literal plot device, as well as a metaphor for the bond between husband and wife being a lingering feeling that prevents either from moving on. The young man in the story is a naive and unwitting witness and participant to this situation.

It's definitely a compelling story at the core, and this oddity witnessed by Hazuki is what drives the story. His unwillingness to give up shows his tenacity and youth, also his foolishness. These traits are then tested by trials and tribulations, first having to find ways to remove the distraction of the ghost, and then trying to make her accept his feelings. His character is also made unappealing from the start, coming off as more of a creeper than a prince in shining armor. This I feel is an interesting move because it means the audience is not automatically invested in him, and by not rooting for him, it makes observing the unraveling events more engaging since failure is an option.

There is also a high level of frustration present in all the relationships in the show. Characters are unable to say what they really feel, and they lie to each other and themselves. While it can be unpleasant to watch, such feelings also gave the show a lot of strength and honesty in the delivery.

So where does it fall apart? Well, I don't really think it falls apart so much as loses it's way for a period of time before finding the way out. While the actual narrative also mirrors this - by having Hazuki trapped in a dream world for half the series before "breaking" out - it doesn't make the narrative stronger by default. In fact, much of the weakness is that because the audience does not root for Hazuki, it is not really interesting to watch him try to break out of a situation he basically put himself into. It was also uninteresting because there wasn't much development in those scenes, but rather repetitive messages being presented in different visual ways.

On the contrary, with Shimao is in Hazuki's body, those scenes really added a layer of complexity and context to the story. His frustration and the frustration of the audience watching Rokka think she is developing her relationship with Hazuki, knowing that it is actually Shimao, and knowing that she would want to see Shimao again, but him being unwilling to tell her... all those emotions built a thick air of dread which effectively developed the feelings of the characters without developing the actual status of the relationship in an orthodox way.

Unfortunately those scenes remained sandwiched between endlessly bloated sequences of Hazuki trapped in a boring dream world which seemed like a ton of padding. Had the story been trimmed or rearranged to avoid this, the overall tale would be much more powerful. But either way, I'm still happy with the eventual development, because it did show that through his perseverance, we do learn that Hazuki's feelings are true, and not just that of a creeper's passing fancy. This earned him the right to the relationship, and in the end everyone was able to let go. Which solves the ghosty incident which started the story to begin with.

I think that this series would have been much better of as a shorter piece, maybe a 4 part OVA or a feature length film. Keeping all the character moments and ditching the pointless dream world sequences would tighten the pacing and make the tightening emotional coil between characters that much stronger.
with the slight caveat that I wasn't really bothered my any of the 'second half' episodes apart from episode ten. They certainly contained a bit of story padding but I liked still enjoyed them quite considerably. The story would certainly have benefited from having them excised, but then you'd have to have a 9 episode show or something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 04:

and suddenly, lingerie.

- I know that the game world is everyone's life and all, but getting that emotionally attached to a dinky little familiar seems like it can only lead to disaster.

- I'm kind of surprised that a game would allow a player to warp to a floor that they haven't visited yet. Or were Kirito and Silica's trek across 12 floors just cut out completely?

- ffs Silica you're imprisoned in an endless and hellish labyrinth of death where you're forced to fight vicious monsters for your survival on a daily basis with little to no hope of ever returning to your old life and your biggest concern is someone seeing your panties?

- lip-licking sadist character? c'mon.

- do I even need to comment on how utterly moronic PKing would be in an environment where everyone's survival relies on cooperation?
except Batman of course

Kirito so bland. That total benevolence and infinite resourcefulness and nigh invincibility is zzzzzz, though the last can at least be remedied by an eventual return to the front lines. Silica's an okay imouto character, even if she has zero hope of survival. Saw nothing in this episode that would prevent me from continuing to watch.

Something which is largely glossed over by the show itself. Yes, the deaths of the odd individual matters to the show a great deal, but the actual consequences of thousands of people dying in reality hasn't been explored at all yet. A missed opportunity.

The real world doesn't matter. This is flat out stated in the show a few times. People in the game are seeing it as the real world now. That's the theme they're going for and I think it's pulled off well.

Jex

Sword Art Online 04:

and suddenly, lingerie.

- I know that the game world is everyone's life and all, but getting that emotionally attached to a dinky little familiar seems like it can only lead to disaster.
If there's one constant in SAO it's that characters make really take really stupid risks or fail to consider the consequences of their actions on a regular basis. I guess it gives the story some excuse to have Kirito save them but it does make me wonder how they managed to survive any length of time in the game without being killed by their own stupidity.

Firemind

I like it better when it's about a couple being awkward together.

This, however, is getting into scooby doo territory.

I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids.

Sword Art Online 04:

and suddenly, lingerie.

- I'm kind of surprised that a game would allow a player to warp to a floor that they haven't visited yet. Or were Kirito and Silica's trek across 12 floors just cut out completely?

- ffs Silica you're imprisoned in an endless and hellish labyrinth of death where you're forced to fight vicious monsters for your survival on a daily basis with little to no hope of ever returning to your old life and your biggest concern is someone seeing your panties?

- lip-licking sadist character? c'mon.

- do I even need to comment on how utterly moronic PKing would be in an environment where everyone's survival relies on cooperation?
except Batman of course

Kirito so bland. That total benevolence and infinite resourcefulness and nigh invincibility is zzzzzz, though the last can at least be remedied by an eventual return to the front lines. Silica's an okay imouto character, even if she has zero hope of survival. Saw nothing in this episode that would prevent me from continuing to watch.

Dat familiar was the only pillar of support she got and the only way of relieve stress she had ( by talking to him ). You bet she got attached.

As long as the floors are accesible , anyone can visit . There is usually an event when a new floor get accesible where many players go to the new floor to see it ( as the town are safe zones ) and then go back to their hunting grounds . after the few days , the new town is populated by the front liners

Kirito is a solo player , he need at least that kind of ressourcefullness to survive by itself otherwise it wouldn't be believable at all

cajunator

Banned
Well he did say flash so I suppose that explains everything.

Don't care. ITS COCKROACH MOE

Might be both, cockroaches are a shoe-in for my dislike of them, Kugiyama is dependant on whether it's a kugiloli role or not.

The presence of Rie does sour me a bit but this isnt her usual sort of role.

The least offensive thing I can say about Sword Art Online is that, like Accel World, it really understands the way videogames work in a way that pretty much every other story about videogames doesn't.

This is true. I love that aspect of both shows.

That makes sense. I probably wouldn't have been as bored by Sword Art Online as I was if I had ever played an MMO.

I havent played an MMORPG so this is probably true. Seems pretty interesting to me. I have no idea if this would be a good game or not.

How did they find everyone who was playing the game? Who is paying for all this? Where are they all being kept? etc. They don't even show people being taken to hospitals, as if the state of their real bodies is a non-issue.

Everyone wants to know this. We pretty much all just said fuck it it doesn't matter.

Saimoe Round 1 - Group H, Day 2 Results

H02
1st 197 Minko Tsurugi @ Hanasaku Iroha
2nd 179 Shouko Kirishima @ Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
3rd 82 Kirie Konoe @ Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia

H06
1st 244 Nano Shinonome @ Nichijou
2nd 124 Henrietta De Tristain @ Zero's Familiar
3rd 119 Ako Shirabe @ Suite Pretty Cure

H10
1st 209 Elucia De Lute Irma @ The World God Only Knows
2nd 198 Kana Ikeda @ Saki
3rd 112 Eucliwood Hellscythe @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

-----------------------------

Today's match preview
Mayaka's time to shine.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.
Not that there was much competition that time.

/XX/

Which novel's content are they covering right now with this latest episode of Sword Art Online? What number exactly?

Dresden

So... what do you think this will be? Maybe 2 volumes per season if all the volumes have a similar page count? This adaptation is successful and I doubt they won't be making all the following novels.

Two volumes now, two volumes (ALO) in Fall, and then more coming when the sequel comes I guess. It's way too successful to go without one, for sure.

Sword Art Online 11

Despite the subdued nature and comparative lack of action, this was a pretty good SS episode, due mostly to the introduction of one of my favorite characters from the LN's. It was certainly much better than all the previous SS episodes.

Yui is such a great character, and she only gets better and far more useful as the story continues. Her "daughter-like" relationship with Kirito and Asuna is one of the more endearing elements of the LN's, so it's good that the initial bond between them was portrayed quite well here, particularly in the scene where she first addresses them as mama and papa.

This episode effectively served to be a calming break from the action of the previous two episodes, so I didn't really mind the slower pace, since it instead elaborated on Kirito and Asuna's relationship a bit, and I think it handled that aspect quite well, since it allowed their romance to be slightly more believable, displaying a more natural progression of those developments. As such, Asuna continues to solidify herself as the best girl, by far. Of course, she doesn't really have any serious competition, and that feeling will only strengthen considerably in the
ALO
arc, since that marks the arrival of the worst girl.

Also, awesome end card.

duckroll

I see. So... what do you think this will be? Maybe 2 volumes per season if all the volumes have a similar page count? This adaptation is successful and I doubt they won't be making all the following novels in the near future.

It's not a straight linear adaptation. In total, for 25 episodes the anime will probably cover Vol1-4 and half of Vol8. Vol2 and Vol8 are short story collections with stuff which take place at various points of the timeline.

If they do another season after this, they'll probably cover Vol5-7, and the rest of Vol8. After that it might take a while to make more, since the ongoing story arc now is supposed to be quite long.

Jex

It's not a straight linear adaptation. In total, for 25 episodes the anime will probably cover Vol1-4 and half of Vol8. Vol2 and Vol8 are short story collections with stuff which take place at various points of the timeline.

If they do another season after this, they'll probably cover Vol5-7, and the rest of Vol8. After that it might take a while to make more, since the ongoing story arc now is supposed to be quite long.

It seems like you know far too much about this.

/XX/

Two volumes now, two volumes (ALO) in Fall, and then more coming when the sequel comes I guess. It's way too successful to go without one, for sure.

Thanks for the information! This adaptation isn't going to extend in time as much as I first thought counting the number of volumes, I think it might be worth checking it out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom