• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, it wouldn't be projection if you weren't accusing others of it.
I did not. Again, perhaps reading both of my posts would clear up any confusion.

I am not asking for people to accept my preference. I am asking that they realize that there is merit for the broadcast version, and not fall victim to those who say the animation is "bad" and write it off completely, unable to accept any opposing opinion or valid point for the original version, making fun of anybody who prefers it over the DVD version, which is what you do.

wonzo

Banned
Amagami SS+ SP6 END
amagamissplussp6.jpg
amagamissplussp6a.jpg
amagamissplussp6b.jpg
amagamissplussp6c.jpg

i'm always down for some haruka's delusional antics. i guess this is it until someone finishes translates the game and/or my dreams for a teacher/hibiki/miya centric third season come to fruition

-Minsc-

Birdy the Mighty:Decode 02 - 7

Well, that was probably the best episode of this entire series so far.

Birdy, and by extension, the alien federation, really is far more interesting than any of the earth-bound characters. And it's not just because the scenario and characters are far more intriguing than on Earth, although that's true; the alien world is well-designed and is just more fun to look at.

It makes me wish we could get a good sci-fi show unchained from the strictures of high school life.

If only. While not exactly Sci-Fi (though it is set in the future), that is one of the reasons I like Space Bros. so much. Give me a Star Trek or Babylon 5 -esque anime and I'd be in heaven. First though the otaku would have to move on from their fixation on jailbait. That would be a tough one.

Lain

Estetica 11

I don't like the way the fight was "dragged on", though there were pretty of cool moments in it. There were some weaker ones too though, like Myuu's speech while the dragon's tentacles were holding her.
So, with only 1 episode left, I'll have to hope in a S2 to see a lot of stuff explained.

If only. While not exactly Sci-Fi (though it is set in the future), that is one of the reasons I like Space Bros. so much. Give me a Star Trek or Babylon 5 -esque anime and I'd be in heaven. First though the otaku would have to move on from their fixation on jailbait. That would be a tough one.

Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 isnt one?

near

Gold Member
Just watched the first episode of Guilty Crown, and I pretty bad for neglecting it for this long. It was pretty damn good. :(

Just watched the first episode of Guilty Crown, and I pretty bad for neglecting it for this long. It was pretty damn good. :(

Definitely Enjoy it, it has great visuals, music (the soundtrack has like no bad songs), and the story consistently stays intense. One of the years best anime, imo, and Ouma Shu is one of my favorite protagonists.

Jarmel

Banned
So I've been trying to research the two writers assisting Genbutch on the script, that of Aya Takaha(高羽彩) and Makoto Fukami(深見真). Both of them are unusual picks especially Aya Takahara who seems to have no anime credits under her name. I tried to find anything about her in English and failed. I went through some of her stuff in Japanese but my language skills hit a bit of a limit. All I could cipher is general information such as her being a playwright and some irrelevant personal details. They both are essentially unknown which is somewhat striking when you compare that to everyone else on the staff list. Fukami seems to be most famous for Young Gun Carnaval. I've read through a bit of YGC and it seems Fukami is a bit of a gun-nut. It also seems very dual-toned in themes and is much more serious than the premise would let on. I'm guessing Urobuchi might have wanted her due to his work on Phantom as similar themes pop up.

In short, I have very little clue how they ended up in those positions.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Definitely Enjoy it, it has great visuals, music (the soundtrack has like no bad songs), and the story consistently stays intense. One of the years best anime, imo, and Ouma Shu is one of my favorite protagonists.

Just curious, are you serious? I was only 4 episodes in so I don't know much about the show, but from what I saw it was pretty alright. Not nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

near

Gold Member
image.php

don't do this to yourself

I already feel like that for neglecting it in the first place, now I must finish what I have started! :p

I'm pumped now. There is so much promise for the series as a whole from just the first episode that I watched earlier today, I'm going to power through the rest. I'm expecting BIG things from the script so Yoshino better deliver a sound and consistent story. :)

Kokoro Connect 11

The ending animation and song is really nice, though doesnt it spoil something that is contrary to what Heartseed said this episode?
Why does it have a kid version of Taichi, I thought he was going to have immunity this arc?
I want to know more of Aoki's past of the ones there his seemed the most interesting, though I guess thats more because we dont know barely anything on him. Good arc.

I already feel like that for neglecting it in the first place, now I must finish what I have started! :p

I'm pumped now. There is so much promise for the series as a whole from just the first episode that I watched earlier today, I'm going to power through the rest. I'm expecting BIG things from the script so Yoshino better deliver a sound and consistent story. :)

Um... OK. Have fun.

Risette

A Good Citizen
EBpPL.gif

near

Gold Member
All downhill after the promising first ep.

In what way does the quality drop without spoiling anything? I'm interested to know what to expect and if your expectations where in line with mine.

Yeah, don't let the people here dissuade you. It's a solid show with a bad rep, but continue to post your impressions.

Where does the bad rep stem from? I'm not really fussed with the quality of the animation at the moment or the characters and how they develop themselves I'm more concerned with how the story unfolds and the questions that are hidden behind the world in terms of agendas and origin.

Um... OK. Have fun.

:( :'(

wonzo

Banned

well, dont say we didnt warn you

Meh, nothing interesting again.
Not even JoJo, Magi, Psycho-Pass or Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)?

Narag

It what way does the quality drop without spoiling anything? I'm interested to know what to expect and if your expectations where in line with mine.

Expected some sort of serious action show in a strong sci fi setting and got nothing close to that.

Where does the bad rep stem from? I'm not really fussed with the quality of the animation at the moment or the characters and how they develop themselves I'm more concerned with how the story unfolds and the questions that are hidden behind the world in terms of agendas and origin.

People say the story goes off the rails, but I honestly like the way it developed. There are quite a few plot twists that I thought were pretty effective along with some not bad character development. It's by no means perfect, but I also wouldn't say it deserves the crap it gets around here. Keep watching and decide for yourself I guess.

Kazzy

K-ON!! Episode 2

HT4co.jpg

Dat guitar

This episode decided to give a brief history on guitars. Considering the character design, I always find it striking just how much detail is lavished upon the actual instruments. It was also notable in that Sawako didn't act like a complete crazy person for once, maybe even acting her age. The middle of the episode played like an after-school special, with the group trying to decide how to use their windfall from an antique guitar. Remember kids, honesty is the best policy!

Again, the devil is in the details, and the mundane setting of a hardware store was made to look visually eye-cathing.There was even a moe turtle thrown into the mix.Most of the first season felt pretty loose in terms of an overarching narrative, but there looks to already be something going on here, particuarly in the case of Azusa.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ON!! Episode 1

By all accounts, this is the superior of the two seasons, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play around with the greater freedom here.
Unquestionably so. They take the basic premise of 4koma strips and turn them into actual stories.

Amagami SS+ SP6 END
i'm always down for some haruka's delusional antics. i guess this is it until someone finishes translates the game and/or my dreams for a teacher/hibiki/miya centric third season come to fruition
I can't believe I'm looking forward to more Jormungand just to hear more of her voice again. WAAAAAUUUUUOOOOOW.

Also, Teacher arc is a myth! :(

near

Gold Member
People say the story goes off the rails, but I honestly like the way it developed. There are quite a few plot twists that I thought were pretty effective along with some not bad character development. It's by no means perfect, but I also wouldn't say it deserves the crap it gets around here. Keep watching and decide for yourself I guess.

I guess it'll be a matter of if the plot twists are acceptable in my opinion that shapes how I feel overall about the series. I'll definitely continue to follow and post my impressions once I'm about half way through it. :p

Just curious, are you serious? I was only 4 episodes in so I don't know much about the show, but from what I saw it was pretty alright. Not nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Yeah I really liked it, watched most of it twice. Why did you stop? The drama was well down and emotional even with its usual mix of comedic moments and characters, I felt it. I guess the story was deep enough for me to really embrace it and care for most of the characters all through it, void abilities were varied and unique, had a strong emphasis on friendship, endlaves were cool even if not the main focus, and everything looked really fresh and unique for anime. Ouma Shu just felt real and like one could really relate to him, and he was just one that I would want to get behind and just support to hope he accomplished his goal and he wasnt one of those selfish or dumb power hungry protagonists. Really good production values too. I suggest you continue with it and see why its one of my top 5 anime.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 25

Once upon a time, the legend of Arjuna was foretold by the existence of a "Listening Hood" that could hear the "words" of all plants and animals (especially snakes trapped in roofs that make people terminally ill), The ancestors of Milo and Otis went on a quest to take back the merchants mythical money growing statues and slumlords actually cared about the wellbeing of their tenants... kinda.

Does anyone know how many cours this is planned for?

edit: looks like it's got 26 episodes listed so next week will probably be the last one :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Kuroko's Basketball 24
tumblr_maew88UqHU1r877bvo1_500.gif

Kise's really great and I like how theyve given him extensive focus. That was a really great episode. I really hope Kise and his team manage to pull through and win but this episode had so many shocking moments. May have to give the last three episodes a quick run through again once its over.
I liked how they did this part right near when he nearly mastered a copy of Aomine. Kise is really epic.
Will legit cry if Kise loses and what not, final episode cant come soon enough.

I'm gonna miss Kuroko's Basketball. Best sports anime I've seen in a while.
Birdy the Mighty:Decode 02

Robots are terrible parents. How could you let a ten-year-old go out in public dressed like that?

Also, space furries are the most racist.
This is a good show. I didn't expect much out of it, but I'm glad I checked it out.
Rinne no Lagrange - 22

Dude. Holy shit this episode. Not only was the story progression really awesome, but this episode really delivered on the entire audio/visual package. Dat art! Dat music! One of the more outstanding episodes in the series for me so far incorporating all those elements. Superb all around!

One thing I really love this season is that instead of trying to incorporate all the elements they wanted to in every single episode, they've taken way better care of separating the SoL and Action/Battle/Fuckawesome stuff, giving them each fair breath, and resulting in a lot less disjointedness on an episode-by-episode basis.

Good stuff all around this season, and I love robots fighting.

How did this turn out? I dropped it at episode 5. I wanted to like it but it seemed to be turning into your typical high school stuff at that time.

Lain

Just "a certain scene"? You mean like...half the manga?

I'm a bit disappointed it turned out to be a gag spinoff, tbqh. Besides being curious as to how they'd have adapted it to television without littering the screen with censor bars, I was sort of hoping this would maybe encourage more Furuya Usamaru adaptations*. Oh well.

Though, other than being pretty well-drawn and kind of an insane yaoified love letter to Suehiro Maruo, I didn't particularly care for it, either.

Now that you point it out, I have to agree. It's just that the
rape of the little sister with a steel pipe
is the thing that most disturbed me about the manga and first comes to mind about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom