• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did this turn out? I dropped it at episode 5. I wanted to like it but it seemed to be turning into your typical high school stuff at that time.

It's a bad show, don't watch it. It tries to be many things (comedy, school slice of life, mecha, political stuff) and fails at all of them. The 2nd season is a bit more focused, but is still not any good.

sonicmj1

If only. While not exactly Sci-Fi (though it is set in the future), that is one of the reasons I like Space Bros. so much. Give me a Star Trek or Babylon 5 -esque anime and I'd be in heaven. First though the otaku would have to move on from their fixation on jailbait. That would be a tough one.

For some reason, this post reminded me that Space Bros is set in 2025, which is three years after the start of SAO.

Good thing those universes have nothing to do with each other.

Thoraxes

How did this turn out? I dropped it at episode 5. I wanted to like it but it seemed to be turning into your typical high school stuff at that time.

Season one was bogged down in the middle by what I would say was too much slice of life in the middle. The end redeemed itself though.

The second season is more of the same, but there's a much larger focus on the large overarching plot, and more focus on bringing all of that to the forefront instead of being overshadowed. Yes there's still some of the high-school stuff, but those episodes have been a lot less in frequency in the second season.

I mean, they are high-school kids so it's to be expected, but the emphasis on it isn't as great as a lot of other shows, and most of it moves towards the relationship between the three girls rather than school itself. The school-life plays a minor role in the shadow of the focus on the Jersey Club. To me anyways, i've seen it just as a way for that club to exist, which is just another means to flesh out Madoka's determination.

If you're looking for more intergalatic fun and such, the second season covers it and goes into it a lot more, to the point that it really makes the first season just seem like a setup for the second, to establish the characters, conflict, and universe. Yes, it's a little slow, but i've enjoyed it.

I think some of the pacing issues can be seen from how they take their time with each issue in that they actually take the time to make things happen instead of using devices such as brief flashbacks, one-liners that bring us to the present, or just time skips between events with recaps at the end.

It's a lot less school and more focus on the 3 main girls. I enjoy it, but it hasn't been everybody's cup of tea. I actually think the visuals and music are better than the story, but I find that the story is pretty watchable, and if you're able to keep track of it and comprehend what's going on, everything heats up pretty good. This is a show more about subtlety in story and leaving the characters at the forefront, rather than a tight integration of the two, so it plays off character dynamic more than explicit story, which is why it seems to be really hard for a lot of people to follow it. I for one have had no trouble following the meta-plot, but it seems to be of issue for a lot of people who just take what's thrown at the forefront of the show to be it.

I like it, it's fun, the girls are cute, and it has robots fighting. It's a good show.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Rinne no Lagrange 1-2

Just start watching this show, the main character reminded me of Misaka from Railgun. There are no way the main character name "Madoka" is a coincident. The airhead blonde name is Mugi.... GO K-ON!!

I kind of like the first 2 episode, hopefully it will get better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Season one was bogged down in the middle by what I would say was too much slice of life in the middle. The end redeemed itself though.

The second season is more of the same, but there's a much larger focus on the large overarching plot, and more focus on bringing all of that to the forefront instead of being overshadowed. Yes there's still some of the high-school stuff, but those episodes have been a lot less in frequency in the second season.

I mean, they are high-school kids so it's to be expected, but the emphasis on it isn't as great as a lot of other shows, and most of it moves towards the relationship between the three girls rather than school itself. The school-life plays a minor role in the shadow of the focus on the Jersey Club. To me anyways, i've seen it just as a way for that club to exist, which is just another means to flesh out Madoka's determination.

If you're looking for more intergalatic fun and such, the second season covers it and goes into it a lot more, to the point that it really makes the first season just seem like a setup for the second, to establish the characters, conflict, and universe. Yes, it's a little slow, but i've enjoyed it.

I think some of the pacing issues can be seen from how they take their time with each issue in that they actually take the time to make things happen instead of using devices such as brief flashbacks, one-liners that bring us to the present, or just time skips between events with recaps at the end.

It's a lot less school and more focus on the 3 main girls. I enjoy it, but it hasn't been everybody's cup of tea. I actually think the visuals and music are better than the story, but I find that the story is pretty watchable, and if you're able to keep track of it and comprehend what's going on, everything heats up pretty good. This is a show more about subtlety in story and leaving the characters at the forefront, rather than a tight integration of the two, so it plays off character dynamic more than explicit story, which is why it seems to be really hard for a lot of people to follow it.

I like it, it's fun, it has robots fighting. It's a good show.

The problem with Rinne is that it feels like they didn't have two cours worth of stories to tell, so you just have this chunk in the middle of both series that don't really amount to anything. Heck, you could argue that S2 makes S1 irrelevant, which is really not the king of thing you want to do unless you're a sitcom and "mythology" doesn't matter.

It's a lot less school and more focus on the 3 main girls. I enjoy it, but it hasn't been everybody's cup of tea. I actually think the visuals and music are better than the story, but I find that the story is pretty watchable, and if you're able to keep track of it and comprehend what's going on, everything heats up pretty good. This is a show more about subtlety in story and leaving the characters at the forefront, rather than a tight integration of the two, so it plays off character dynamic more than explicit story, which is why it seems to be really hard for a lot of people to follow it. I for one have had no trouble following the meta-plot, but it seems to be of issue for a lot of people who just take what's thrown at the forefront of the show to be it.

I like it, it's fun, the girls are cute, and it has robots fighting. It's a good show.

Has gotten closer to female TTGL than season 1 was?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Thanks for the write up on that. I'll probably get around to it once its all wrapped up then.

Andrew J.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 11 FINAL

This wasn't...bad. It could definitely have been improved, though:

-Cut the possession arc by an episode, maybe two, and give us a longer denouement.
-Have Hazuki hang around as a ghost during the entire possession instead of faffing about with poorly thought-out fairytale metaphors.
-Hazuki should've let Atsushi have Rokka and gone after Miho instead, 'cause she's WAY hotter.

Thoraxes

The problem with Rinne is that it feels like they didn't have two cours worth of stories to tell, so you just have this chunk in the middle of both series that don't really amount to anything. Heck, you could argue that S2 makes S1 irrelevant, which is really not the king of thing you want to do unless you're a sitcom and "mythology" doesn't matter.
Yes. I definitely do think this lack of focus has hampered the show as far as the story goes. I think season 1 was more to just get you to know the characters and factions than it was to serve as a story to carry on into the second half. I would argue that the problem with what they tried to accomplish is simply the method they did it in is all. That chunk in the middle of S1 definitely could've been better used and focused on more robots rather than using the Jersey Club and school to convey that means.

A prelude if you will. So I do agree. All of the mythology has carried through, though. I don't think anything has really been discarded majorly.
Has gotten closer to female TTGL than season 1 was?
In a way yes, but as a whole, totally not. Madoka gets more of her badass moments though.

It's more about the intergalactic focus/tension than being a badass and kicking reason to the curb and doing the impossible so far.

Thanks for the write up on that. I'll probably get around to it once its all wrapped up then.
No problem.

Kuroko's Basketball 24
tumblr_maew88UqHU1r877bvo1_500.gif

Kise's really great and I like how theyve given him extensive focus. That was a really great episode. I really hope Kise and his team manage to pull through and win but this episode had so many shocking moments. May have to give the last three episodes a quick run through again once its over.
I liked how they did this part right near when he nearly mastered a copy of Aomine. Kise is really epic.
Will legit cry if Kise loses and what not, final episode cant come soon enough.

This episode was fucking legit. Those last ten minutes were so awesome that I immediately went back to rewatch them.

Branduil

She was one of the major female leads in an extremely popular show so yes, although it's questionable how such popularity will fare in the longer-term considering that there's nothing particuarly interesting about her character. Of course, looking at any of the polls from Japan, it doesn't seem like being an interesting character is connected with your popularity among the fans.

Newtype character polls are about wish fulfillment, not interesting characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes. I definitely do think this lack of focus has hampered the show as far as the story goes. I think season 1 was more to just get you to know the characters and factions than it was to serve as a story to carry on into the second half.

A prelude if you will. So I do agree. All of the mythology has carried through, though. I don't think anything has really been discarded majorly.

Well, I mean
there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to split the girls up at the end of S1. They only did it because they wanted an "ending", but in the context of the series as a whole, it basically went nowhere.

Like, even with this last arc, they go through the whole thing of
having the dudes make up, only to back track on that for the end game because of space magic. Well, why even write it that way in the first place?

I think the split cour actually worked against them this time around. Maybe it helped with the animation or whatever - I have no idea - but it hampered the writers and backed them into a corner.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, one of the best matches in the anime. I really hope they give it 25 more episodes or so.

I also really want the soundtrack, perfect music for every scene.

Yeah, the music in this is really, really underrated.

Love the side characters in this game too. #epicrebounds

Thoraxes

Well, I mean
there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to split the girls up at the end of S1. They only did it because they wanted an "ending", but in the context of the series as a whole, it basically went nowhere.

Like, even with this last arc, they go through the whole thing of
having the dudes make up, only to back track on that for the end game because of space magic. Well, why even write it that way in the first place?

I think the split cour actually worked against them this time around. Maybe it helped with the animation or whatever - I have no idea - but it hampered the writers and backed them into a corner.

While it was cheesy, since this is all about "friendship", I think as cheesy as it sounds
they just wanted to show that with the power friendship can overcome all obstacles, regardless of faction or any other external factors, including politics, country, etc., but still wanted the first half to be conclusive than end on a cliff-hanger.

I agree, I don't think they did it in a good way, and I can totally see that they could've done it better. There are a lot better ways they could've built up those aspects of their relationship. I think it really came down to splitting it story-wise that way as wanting to show that
the politics/families wouldn't tear their friendship apart, so if anything I really think they should've changed the way the ending in the first season happened.

S2 started much better, and while they ended up starting in a good place there, the means to get to it was kinda lame. It actually reminds me a lot of what happens with my students in music composition in that a lot of times they'll have a really great idea, but the rest of their piece doesn't lead up to it, so they try to force everything around it to adhere to their one great idea instead of making something from the ground up to lead to that idea instead, so it comes off as kinda disjunct or redundant because everything around it doesn't make sense in relation to your one good idea. So in that regard, I think the way they started S2 was great (and was their great idea), but they had to force something at the end of the first cour only because it was split, and they had to force it lead into that beginning somehow.

Same thing I think can be applied to the current arc too. It's like they had a great end idea, but didn't totally know how to get their, so they kinda fusked their way to get there, which is also why I think there's such a discrepancy between the highs and the lows.

I agree about the cours too. I honestly do think a lot more people would like the show like I do if it was just like a single 18-episode season instead of 24 (or something) episodes over two cours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree about the cours too. I honestly do think a lot more people would like the show like I do if it was just like a single 18-episode season instead of 24 (or something) over two cours.

I suppose when you have to basically make anime for BD releases (at 2 episodes a pop), then you're also constrained by having to hit those targets as well.

I will say, when both Rinne and Space Pirates both came out, I couldn't have imagined that I would have enjoyed Space Pirates more as a complete package by the time both ended anyway.

kuroko basketball 24

man, that last few min was great shit.

Is this 'season' just gonna end with this match though?

love all that sweat. Reminds me of marketing for basketball games this gen. WE GOT SWEAT NOW!

Thoraxes

I suppose when you have to basically make anime for BD releases (at 2 episodes a pop), then you're also constrained by having to hit those targets as well.

I will say, when both Rinne and Space Pirates both came out, I couldn't have imagined that I would have enjoyed Space Pirates more as a complete package by the time both ended anyway.

I feel differently about Space Pirates, but that's because I didn't like any of the characters (except for Marika's Mom and Kanahana/Chiaki Omigawa's voice outlet), was too slow, none of that awesome music (OP was awesome though), and no robots fighting. But yet again, I was pretty jaded because of the electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare arc, so I just started not liking everything after that because of how long that. I think I made it to ep. 11 before I stopped.

I also just plain liked what I read of the novels more too, so seeing the anime not be as good as the novels made me stop earlier too. I saw in some reviews the show got better once they stopped adapting though, so i'll probably go and watch those anime original episodes some day.

Also, I think deep down I was secretly harboring the notion that I wanted it to be/it was going to be the next Outlaw Star, which it wasn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel differently about Space Pirates, but that's because I didn't like any of the characters (except for Marika's Mom and Kanahana/Chiaki Omigawa's voice outlet), was too slow, none of that awesome music (OP was awesome though), and no robots fighting. But yet again, I was pretty jaded because of the electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare electronic warfare arc, so I just started not liking everything after that because of how long that. I think I made it to ep. 11 before I stopped.

I also just plain liked what I read of the novels more too, so seeing the anime not be as good as the novels made me stop earlier too. I saw in some reviews the show got better once they stopped adapting though, so i'll probably go and watch those anime original episodes some day.

Also, I think deep down I was secretly harboring the notion that I wanted it to be/it was going to be the next Outlaw Star, which it wasn't.

Oh yeah, that first arc was horrendous, but after that, even the silly
lesbian
arc, I was fine with. Maybe we have different reactions because I prefer starships to robots. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh yeah, that first arc was horrendous, but after that, even the silly
lesbian
arc, I was fine with. Maybe we have different reactions because I prefer starships to robots. lol

Do Usagi Mk 1 and Usagi Mk 2 ever go away? Thoraxes' sentiments regarding the series mirror my own perfectly, but I also have the extra condition of their absence before I ever try touching any of the anime-original material. Lamest damned thing ever to make a show about pirates and then
immediately make them willingly beholden to the establishment. Loli establishment

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do Usagi Mk 1 and Usagi Mk 2 ever go away? Thoraxes' sentiments regarding the series mirror my own perfectly, but I also have the extra condition of their absence before I ever try touching any of the anime-original material.
Umm... I don't know who the two rabbits are. lol

Ohhh,
the loli princesses. I guess they're there as side characters. The last few arcs weren't really about them though.

Sword Art Online 11
jCTCkUonau4p.jpg

Stephen Hawking moe~
Maybe something's broken inside of me, but I actually had to pause the episode for a moment because I could not stop laughing at this and the above screen. When she wasn't sleeping though, Yui was unbelievably cute. Some seriously next level :cajun shit.

I'm divided on the romantic bits. Some of it was the best kind of cheesy, but it really irritated me how Asuna was fretting about Kirito seeing her panties and such when
they're married and have been undoubtedly fucking like rabbits.
It felt like a big step back and a missed opportunity to show how they've grown as a couple.

Something that might be easy to miss that I liked was Kirito's face throughout Asuna
owning the shit out of the soldier
. The lazy, thoughtless thing to do would be to give him a vaguely pissed/worried/constipated expression to blend in with the tone of the scene, but instead they had him grinning out of pride like "I love this woman."

It was also nice to have Asuna actually, you know, do something and not fuck up or have to be saved.

wonzo

Banned
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/comi...89jhfi-88u-11/

Rose of Versailles picked up by rightstuf/Nozomi.
Looks like Sentai's got their December solicitations up, including the first half of Mawaru Penguindrum for an MSRP of $60 on DVD, $70 on BD.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...ember-12-Slate
*grabs money needle*

I don't even know if I am a fan of the first season anymore, especially if the direction is as awkward throughout the original series as it is in the first episode of season two. It's making me doubt my own recollection of the show.
It's almost as if I'm talking about the show as a whole and not the lackluster first episode.

jman2050

Speaking of upcoming shows, is it unreasonable for me to cling to the barest of bare hopes that Minami-Ke season 4 won't be an unmitigated disaster? :(

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Rinnne No Lanrange 3 - 7

Dear anime, I came in for the robot, not high school girl drama. :(

End of episode 7 - Madoka: Harem get!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well theyve been getting more jpn commentaries and such, so it probably wont be bare bones release, and I guess it will have good disc arts, at least with all the anime I got/am getting from them
I don't know if the Gintama movie DVD had extras in Japan, but it was barebones here.

It seems really random anyway. Like, Croisee is getting a premium package (outside of not getting a BD release anyway), but isn't the Persona set barebones?

Narag

Gundam F91

Since watching this was such a draining experience, wikipedia quotes to the rescue to help describe this.

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (機動戦士ガンダムF91 Kidō Senshi Gandamu Efu Kyūjūichi?) is a 1991 anime film, which was Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino's attempt to launch a new Gundam saga, set thirty years after Char's Counterattack and twenty seven years after Gundam Unicorn. He re-teamed with character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and mecha designer Kunio Okawara for the occasion. The movie was first released in Japan on March 16, 1991.

The story of Gundam F91 revolves around teenage space colonist Seabook Arno, his girlfriend Cecily Fairchild, and the efforts of the Crossbone Vanguard militia, led by Cecily's grandfather Meitzer Ronah, to establish an aristocracy known as "Cosmo Babylonia". In keeping with Gundam tradition, the civilian Seabook is forced by circumstance to pilot the F91 Gundam, coincidentally designed in part by his estranged mother, Dr. Monica Arno.

That certainly sounds rather Gundam and indeed the usual tropes are there as if hitting some sort of checklist. To be fair, I guess it'd be more tradition given the time it was made.

Originally planned as a full-length television series, Gundam F91 hit a production snag due to staff disputes, and the project was stopped after the screenplays for the first thirteen episodes were written. It was then decided that what was made of the show would be condensed into a theatrical feature film. Condensing a story originally intended to be told over the course of fifty half-hour episodes into less than two hours of screen time required much of the original story to be cut.

This is pretty apt. Characters generally aren't developed. Seabook gets the most development but it's often framed as loss time and time again. Shit happens so fast that the pacing feels off due to to the attempt to distill the movie to 2 hours, and if it wasn't for the hot mechanical animation, it'd feel just like a TV clip movie.

The highlights were mostly limited to the mechanical animation (although it grew less impressive the longer the movie went on) and witnessing some of the technology in action. Impractical stuff like the asteroid defense, colony painting, and contact communcation were neat as was seeing the F91 in various stages of disrepair when not looking like a typical Gundam. It's disappointing as the setting/characters could have made for something decent if fleshed out despite feeling like a retread. The ending fight was both super stupid and anti-climactic too.

The Crossbone Vanguard Theme sure sounded familiar too.

There wouldn't be another original Gundam movie until Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer. (2010)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

EwVaNl.jpg
uw0tEl.jpg
2861sl.jpg

This had me all excited to start and let me hopeful the movie was better than I'd heard.

SiWFql.jpg

This is when reality set in.

y9JwJl.jpg
QesW4l.jpg

Did they forget to paint in the cockpit background or is it simply attention to detail assuming the cameras were displaying what's seen? Either way it looked bad and left the scenes looking flat.

uYzMRl.jpg

This was just sexy. All dat paneling.

Thoraxes

Moyashimon - 04

Lol, the
prank/lesson at the beginning was hilarious. They got caught so hard lol.

The thing at the end though, i'm not sure what that was yet. It seems like it was done on purpose but yet again it wasn't. Also I wonder
if that doctor is gonna try to study him to check out his ability.

3Obdi.jpg
21mWy.jpg

Mature

Rinnne No Lanrange 3 - 7

Dear anime, I came in for the robot, not high school girl drama. :(

End of episode 7 - Madoka: Harem get!
I'd like to say it gets better in S2, but... It doesn't. I guess the plot's focus is a bit different, but it's the same coat of paint.

Branduil

One of my favorite students wants to be a mangaka. She's still in junior high, but I told her I support her and her dream 100% and if she ever wanted to talk or needed help, to come to me. She looked like she was gonna cry. I don't think anybody's ever told her that!

She be guud at the arts. I think she draws doujin as well.

A2rJTJuCQAIo2vP.jpg

I thought Hyouka was being ridiculous with all those incredibly talented artists in one school, but I guess it's not entirely impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom