• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom corroborates: Stolen copies of Resident Evil 6 have been sold

Nibel

ibfHNFLhvgyxqO.png

Stolen copies of Resident Evil 6 have been sold in Poland weeks ahead of the game's official launch, Capcom has corroborated.

"Capcom is currently undertaking a thorough investigation into reports that Resident Evil 6 is being sold ahead of its official October 2 release date," the publisher told Eurogamer in a statement.

"At this time, all we can add is that it would appear this unfortunate incident is limited to a small quantity of stolen copies of the German USK PlayStation 3 version of the game."

The reports surfaced at the end of last week, and seemed to revolve around only one or two shops selling the stolen goods. Exactly how many copies of the game were stolen, we don't know.

The buyer of a stolen copy of Resident Evil 6 is, unsurprisingly, trying to flog it for loads of money on eBay. The starting bid is now €478.78 with a buyout of €1196.71.

Source

Pooya

from what I heard it was a distributer screw-up, don't think anything was stolen but selling it is illegal regardless I think.

iBuzz7S

Banned
So when they put disc-locked content on the XBLM/PSN Store at a cost, isn't that somewhat stealing from the consumer as well?

Taste of their medicine me thinks.

Res Evil 6: Amongst Thieves

I expect them to take counterproductive (to potential thieves) measures for big releases. Like only sending shipments of a game real close to release date next time.

Is it even legal to sell it on eBay?

Probably not I would imagine.

wsippel

Banned
Is it even legal to sell it on eBay?
In Germany? If the seller knew it was stolen, it's illegal. If he didn't know, it's not really illegal, but neither he nor the buyer actually owns the item and they'd have to return it to Capcom if Capcom demands it.

NekoFever

Breaking street dates isn't illegal, but according to Capcom this is theft.
The game won't be sent to retailers for a few weeks yet, so I think it's a safe assumption that it's been stolen from some point along the production process. Certainly not as straightforward as a shop selling it a bit early.

iBuzz7S

Banned
From what I know, eBay is not a legitimate retailer when it comes to purchasing a video game which has not been given the green light by a publisher.

Reason is because no one can determine whether the copy/copies of a game was acquired legally or not, therefore it is ruled out.

The game won't be sent to retailers for a few weeks yet, so I think it's a safe assumption that it's been stolen from some point along the production process. Certainly not as straightforward as a shop selling it a bit early.
Yeah, this is a bit too far ahead to just be a broken street date

capcom actually sent it out early for proofreading

There's an old saying in Osaka — I know it's in Kansai, probably in Osaka — that says, fool me once, shame on........... shame on you. Fool me........... You can't get fooled again.

glaurung

I remember when the local retailers did not give two shits about street dates.

Now they're as paranoid as the ones in USA, dreading to even say they already have stock of the games.

RE6 in the wild is weird though. That's like a full month before the official release. I wonder if Cacpomc will somehow punish the early players.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when the local retailers did not give two shits about street dates.

Now they're as paranoid as the ones in USA, dreading to even say they already have stock of the games.

RE6 in the wild is weird though. That's like a full month before the official release. I wonder if Cacpomc will somehow punish the early players.

Their efforts are probably better spent recovering the stolen disks and shutting down any attempts at uploading media.

Would be an absolute disaster for them if someone ripped and distributed the game online this early.

Rolf NB

I do not know where you live but breaking street dates here in Holland is illegal and said store who breaks it needs to pay a fine of around €50,000,-
Urrrmmmm ... you sure about the "illegal" thing? Breach of contract, possibly, yes, depending on exact arrangements. But "illegal", as in breaking a law? I really don't think so.

its illegal in the states as well they will receive a massive fine if caught selling early
I'm sure there are hundreds of people worldwide playing unauthorized copies of RE6 right now. They just aren't idiots that want to post pictures and brag that they have early copies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It should be mentioned since this is the German version, this is the censored version and won't have Mercenaries Mode, like RE5 and RE4 before it in Germany
and likely not the new modes either like Siege Or Last Stand mode.

Takao

Banned
Their efforts are probably better spent recovering the stolen disks and shutting down any attempts at uploading media.

Would be an absolute disaster for them if someone ripped and distributed the game online this early.

I believe someone said in the last thread about these copies that there's already an ISO of the game floating around.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I believe someone said in the last thread about these copies that there's already an ISO of the game floating around.

Yikes

24/7 Capcop youtube raids until release

railGUN

Banned
I'm seeing it on a file sharing network... It's for PS3, probably unplayable at the moment but that might change.

Lucent

It should be mentioned since this is the German version, this is the censored version and won't have Mercenaries Mode, like RE5 and RE4 before it in Germany

That is so odd. Why would the exclude that? Pretty sure anything they can see in the actual game would be seen in Mercenaries.

blixa

Banned
this was definitely stolen. no way did they ship it out [a week after it went gold, to boot] anywhere yet.
german copies are censored apparently. avoid. EDIT; NOT.

That is so odd. Why would the exclude that? Pretty sure anything they can see in the actual game would be seen in Mercenaries.

we're going backwards, yo.
that is to be expected, whenever things gain popularity.

tsab

Final Review copies already have been sent to journalists so I believe they (capcom) just keep them for review score manipulation.
oh and isn't the german copies CENSORED? EEEEWWWW

Lusankya

Dusk Golem is lying, the German version is completely uncensored.
Resident Evil 5 was uncensored as well.

In Resident Evil 4 the minigames were indeed missing, however that was Capcom's own mistake.

Top Bottom