• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inaba (Platinum Games): Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo

You know what be awesome? If Treasure made "insert Nintendo game"! (Wario World sucked)

You know what be awesome? If Team Ninja made "insert Nintendo game" (Metroid Other M hyperbole GAF hate)

You know what be awesome? If Namco made "insert Nintendo game" (Star Fox Assault sucked)

You know what be awesome? If RARE made "insert Nintendo game" (Star Fox Adventures y'all)

You know what be awesome? If Capcom made "insert Nintendo game" (Director of Oracles/Minish Caps joins Nintendo and makes Skyward Sword and GAF hates it)

It is a never ending trend for the obsessive "x should make y" for no reason other than company worshipping. It doesn't always work. But still we will have to put up with the "OMG platinum should make this" and "OMG RETRO should make this' by the Nintendo community.

Not so clear cut. Yes, Other M objectively sucked but Wario World was quite fun, and the multiplayer in Assault was ahead of its time (and still oh so fun today). Adventures was pretty bland I'll admit but what a weird statement considering Rare did wonderful things with the Donkey Kong franchise.

Anteater

Oh, I would laugh for days on end if Capcom, as part of their Wii U/3DS being their "Japan strategy", announced DMC5 exclusively for the Wii U.

Kobayashi: "We consider this a better move for the franchise as a whole, since this will make sure the classic Dante that is loved in Japan will have a home, while we can continue to market the newer Dante on the consoles that are more popular in the West!"

I actually thought about that scenario, that they keep the original dmc a niche game, low budget and release it on wii u.

Boerseun

Banned
To the haters -- Sony and Microsoft didn't care. Nintendo did. Accept it! SHEESH!!

Whether you like their games or not, Nintendo are taking care of a small, dedicated developer with heaps of talent, a developer that otherwise would likely have been out of business right now.

It's sad that some people on GAF would rather have seen this happen than the alternative, which is for Bayonetta 2 to appear on a different platform from the first game.

zroid

Banned
slightly off-topic hypothetical

What do you think would result in bigger meltdowns:

A new Valkyria Chronicles game going exclusive to Wii U or to Xbox 360?

I think it's an interesting question because I suspect a lot of the series' fans have an inclination towards PS3/Wii this gen rather than PS3/360. But, then again, any game going exclusive to a Nintendo platform will undoubtedly cause pitchforks to rise.

TreIII

I actually thought about that scenario, that they keep the original dmc a niche game, low budget and release it on wii u.

The meltdown would be nuts. Like I am talking 10x what happened with Bayo 2.

And it would be GLORIOUS. :lol

Edit: On the other hand, it would kind of make sense, if they really were serious about trying to have it so "both DMC and DmC could peacefully co-exist"...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have been trying to avoid conversation about Bayonetta 2 simply because of how ridiculous this whole situation is. In my opinion, this whole thing has been overblown to such a point it really is showing some of the worst sides of gamers and console elitism. I know that might be an overblown statement but I would of liked to believe gamers were maturing past these days.

What's even more mind-boggling is that this whole outcry is over Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta was a great game, don't get me wrong... But it sold like shit. Better than some of Platinum's other games, but it sold only 400,000 copies in the US. Where the fuck is this all coming from, it's not like the first game was uber popular or anything, this was almost a cult classic type of game... Really good, but undersold its worth. It seems people are caring more about the controversy than many did about the original game itself.

And then why is there controversy? People try to pass off the Wii U saying it doesn't have 'core' games, then it gets such a game and the internet just goes batshit crazy over it saying the Wii U is for kiddy games and acting like this is some crime against them. The whole situation also could of been better if some news sites weren't leeching off this controversy and essentially fanning the flames.

This whole controversy is completely hypocritical in almost every sense. I don't want to be a defender, I'm just really happy Bayonetta 2 is actually being made and would love to talk about it, but seemingly can't as everyone is so super-focused on this 'controversy'. I believe there is some huge misunderstandings with how hard it is as a developer to get a game like Bayonetta published, with how it sold and how far it is from, in publishers eyes, 'core' gaming. Being able to make what you want to make and have creative freedom is an extremely difficult thing to do, especially for a game that is not guaranteed to sell.

slightly off-topic hypothetical

What do you think would result in bigger meltdowns:

A new Valkyria Chronicles game going exclusive to Wii U or to Xbox 360?

I think it's an interesting question because I suspect a lot of the series' fans have an inclination towards PS3/Wii this gen rather than PS3/360. But, then again, any game going exclusive to a Nintendo platform will undoubtedly cause pitchforks to rise.
I think you are roughly correct.

I'm one of the few who didn't like the first game but I do appreciate nintendo saving this franchise from a dreary future. if I could have one wish fulfilled, I would have liked nintendo to fund a new vanquish instead of this. I thought that was brilliant and a sequel using the gamepad would have been nice.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Laugh it up. The Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns are not top-tier in their genres like Bayonetta is.

ibuUkpeUkUTh7n.gif

TDLink

I can't believe this whole dumb conversation is happening again. It's pretty simple.

This game was dead. Nintendo saved it. That is awesome. Actual fans of Bayonetta and/or Platinum Games recognize this and are thrilled. I would hazard to guess that people who are angry haven't even played Bayonetta before.

So the common excuses as to why this is "terrible" seem to be:
  1. "I don't want to buy a Wii U for one game"
  2. "I can only afford to buy one console this gen and I don't want it to be a Wii U"
  3. "I don't want the game on a Nintendo platform because third parties don't like Nintendo"
  4. "I don't want the game on a Nintendo platform because I don't like Nintendo"

1. The Wii U has more than one game. Even knowing only what is coming out on the system through March (other than Bayo 2) I am pretty sure there are multiple games for everyone. Why do you like Bayonetta 2 but not the other games announced?

Do you like third person action games? If you do then the Ninja Gaiden 3 remake is coming. Fist of the North Star 2 is coming. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper is coming. Monster Hunter Ultimate is coming. Darksiders 2 with more content is coming. Do you like Platinum games? The Wonderful 101 is also coming.

2. Consoles aren't that expensive in the big scheme of things. Anyone with a job that's a bit above minimum wage can easily afford to own all of the systems and regularly buy games for them. Ok, so maybe you don't have a job because you are still a kid/in high school. That's fine to say, but recognize most adults can actually afford to buy multiple systems, and do. Even when I was in High School I don't remember a single friend who only had one system. Granted, I probably hung out with more gamers than non-gamers...but if you are posting on this forum (and you are) then you are probably in the same boat.

Hypothetically even if you could only own one system, for some reason, there really isn't a justifiable reason why it shouldn't be Wii U but should be some other system that hasn't been announced or had anything confirmed about it yet. On the flip side, of course there is no reason why it has to be a Wii U either and it isn't better to wait and see what all 3 companies have to offer before deciding, but I see this point of view expressed very rarely.

3. Japanese third parties actually do like Nintendo. That is why you see stuff like Monster Hunter Ultimate and Dragon Quest X exclusive to their platform. Western third parties typically like developing on PC more than console and I don't really think they "dislike" any particular console. They put their games where they think they can make money without also having to expend many extra resources to make a game work on a system with drastically different architecture.

4. Well I can't help you there or understand where you are coming from, but at least you're being honest instead of using one of the 3 above mostly bullshit excuses.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Laugh it up. The Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns are not top-tier in their genres like Bayonetta is.

They aren't comparable

Two different studios with different philosophies and expertise trying to achieve different things that appeal to different audiences

this line of discussion is just stupid fanboy garbage(as to not single you out. You're not the only one guilty)

Kind of ironic that it occurs in a thread where people are complaining about people being stupid fanboys about consoles

Sucks that Platinum even have to explain themselves.

Well I mean it's a weird situation.

How often does a multiplatform new IP get a sequel exclusive to one console that is published by a completely different company?

Part of the reason people are so angry is confusion. Not everyone reads gaf and paid attention to the rumors about the game's cancellation on here.(and for good reason)

Mrbob

I have been trying to avoid conversation about Bayonetta 2 simply because of how ridiculous this whole situation is. In my opinion, this whole thing has been overblown to such a point it really is showing some of the worst sides of gamers and console elitism. I know that might be an overblown statement but I would of liked to believe gamers were maturing past these days.

What's even more mind-boggling is that this whole outcry is over Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta was a great game, don't get me wrong... But it sold like shit. Better than some of Platinum's other games, but it sold only 400,000 copies in the US. Where the fuck is this all coming from, it's not like the first game was uber popular or anything, this was almost a cult classic type of game... Really good, but undersold its worth. It seems people are caring more about the controversy than many did about the original game itself.

And then why is there controversy? People try to pass off the Wii U saying it doesn't have 'core' games, then it gets such a game and the internet just goes batshit crazy over it saying the Wii U is for kiddy games and acting like this is some crime against them. The whole situation also could of be better if some news sites weren't leeching off this controversy and essentially fanning the flames.

This whole controversy is completely hypocritical in almost every sense. I don't want to be a defender, I'm just really happy Bayonetta 2 is actually being made and would love to talk about it, but seemingly can't as everyone is so super-focused on this 'controversy'. I believe there is some huge misunderstandings with how hard it is as a developer to get a game like Bayonetta published, with how it sold and how far it is from, in publishers eyes, 'core' gaming. Being able to make what you want to make and have creative freedom is an extremely difficult to do, especially for a game that is not guaranteed to sell.

I agree the controversy is dumb. I love the original Bayonetta, and Bayonetta 2 on Wii U will make me buy the system. If Nintendo didn't step in to cover development, this sequel wouldn't be made. So I really don't know what there is to complain about. Bayonetta is a cult hit. It wasn't profitable enough for Sega to green light a sequel.

There are two options. Either we get the game with Nintendo funding the rest of development or the game doesn't exist. I'll take being able to play the sequel. If the Wii U pad is too bulky for this type of experience I'll pick up a Pro Controller.

Riposte

DKCR was good, Metroid Prime is one of the greatest designed games of all time. Well Bayonetta is one of the greatest designed games of its genre too so the whole fucking debate its horribly stupid.

That's assuming everyone is going to believe the entirety of what you wrote.

Boney

Banned
Not so clear cut. Yes, Other M objectively sucked but Wario World was quite fun, and the multiplayer in Assault was ahead of its time (and still oh so fun today). Adventures was pretty bland I'll admit but what a weird statement considering Rare did wonderful things with the Donkey Kong franchise.

this post is all kinds of wrongggg

Forever

Banned
Also Sega still owns the bayo ip.

I actually want to know exactly what's going on with this; has Nintendo taken partial ownership? They talked about wanting to grow the brand and I can't imagine that Nintendo would sign up for that without a clear stake.

zroid

Banned
It feels like it...i have the same consoles. I think they compliment each other well. I think next ill get a wii u and either the ps4/xbox 720

That's the cool thing about having one console that's significantly different from the others in terms of specs/mechanics/etc.

For the first time in years, I've felt compelled to own two consoles: they ended up being Wii and PS3. I could probably justify a 360 to myself as well, but since it's so similar to the PS3 I never felt the need for it. Between Wii and PS3 I've gotten to play such a wide scope of games this gen, I'm tremendously glad Nintendo went in a different direction. It would've been so boring if Wii were a GameCube 2.

faridmon

A new Onimusha game would be better pick up. I was never a big fan of the first Bayo game, but if Nintendo revived Onimusha or Valkyrie Chronicle, Woof

wrowa

I am not really sure about that.

Why else would Sega's name be in the credits?

Nintendo partnered to publish Fatal Frame and we later learned that they acquired partial ownership of the IP, it's no longer quite so clear that Sega has 100% ownership.

Do we know that? People always toss this around, but to this date I haven't seen a solid source for the claim.

GamerSoul

I hope Nintendo can revive a few more franchises. Shemue? TimeSplitters? Onimusha? Mana? Chrono? Mega Man?

Omg if timesplitters became nintendo's go to shooter next gen i will fucking be all over that shit. :0 they really need a shooter too.

magash

what's not to be sure

they own the ip

During the recent Japanese Nintendo Direct broadcast, Nintendo showed the teaser to Bayonetta 2. Now after the presentation the title as well as copyright owners of the clips, teasers, videos etc. shown during the presentation were displayed. Every single game displayed had its copyright owner and title shown except Bayonetta 2.

Another thing is if you visit Platinum Games's website and go through the information on all the games that Platinum Games have developed you will find things like the "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner" etc all displayed for the particular game that you selected. Clicking on games like Wonderful 101 will show you that the IP is owned by Nintendo/Platinum Games likewise clicking on Metal Gear Revengance will show you that the IP is owned by Konami.

Here is where it gets a bit tricky. If you click on Bayonetta 1 it shows information like "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner". Now the copyright owner of Bayonetta 1 is indeed Sega but if you click on Bayonetta 2 you will see that the owner of the copyright has not been stated. The absence of copyright owners name during Nintendo's Wii U preview event as well as Platinum Games website lack of information on Bayonetta 2's copyright owner leads me to believe that Nintendo might have bought or is in the process of buying the IP.

Top Bottom