• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

RedSwirl

Chris chapter 1 was actually pretty good. I think the gunplay feels nice but still different enough from your typical third person shooter, and almost nary a scripted event or QTE to get in your way. The only thing that dragged it down was the
hostage rescue spider thing.
It signified RE6's unsuccessful attempts to design refreshing scenarios like the ones that make RE4 what it was. It's like Capcom knows what they need to do to make another RE4, they just haven't shown the ability to actually do it.

Grisby

Ok. The
snowmobile and stealth
stuff from Jake's CH2 was bad. The former didn't control well at all and the latter was just...'uesless' from a gameplay design. I appreciate trying new things but they just didn't work out.

I'm hoping ch3 on is better because right now it's easily the weakest of the three campaigns.

Ok. The
snowmobile and stealth
stuff from Jake's CH2 was bad. The former didn't control well at all and the latter was just...'uesless' from a gameplay design. I appreciate trying new things but they just didn't work out.

I didn't like the snowmobile but I thought the stealth stuff was fun and intense

Lucent

Chris chapter 1 was actually pretty good. I think the gunplay feels nice but still different enough from your typical third person shooter, and almost nary a scripted event or QTE to get in your way. The only thing that dragged it down was the
hostage rescue spider thing.
It signified RE6's unsuccessful attempts to design refreshing scenarios like the ones that make RE4 what it was. It's like Capcom knows what they need to do to make another RE4, they just haven't shown the ability to actually do it.

I just lobbed grenades in whatever rooms they were in. And I was playing as Piers and just used quickshot with my sniper rifle. They are pretty annoying. lol

I didn't like the snowmobile but I thought the stealth stuff was fun and intense

Yup I loved the
stealth stuff but I was upset at first cause I couldn't figure out how to get passed the bugs without alerting Ustanak. I kept thinking to myself "Wtf i need a weapon that makes no noise, where can I get that" then it dawned on me... ohhhh. So once I knew to punch them it worked well.

Grisby

I really like the idea and it was short but it just was...shallow I guess.

The whole vibe of that chapter is neat though because I felt like it might be the closet we'll ever get to a sequel of
The Thing game

Lucent

Thanks Lucent! Good to hear some more Gaffers are also following the order so it can't be all bad.

Yeah. Some feel it makes it more enjoyable because the story sort of makes more sense this way. And also jumping around the campaigns helps mix up the gameplay some so you're not bored (if you did get bored). Some say the story still isn't that good even this way. And others say they like the disjointed style of playing through just one campaign straight through and not getting the whole thing. It really depends on who plays I guess.

After playing all three campaigns not in chronological order I have to say that it probably plays better doing it in the chronological order, I kind of wish I had played it that way.

masterkajo

After playing all three campaigns not in chronological order I have to say that it probably plays better doing it in the chronological order, I kind of wish I had played it that way.

Funny... I am in the middle of playing them chronologically and just thought to mysefl it might have been better to play them the intended way because I think it might have more of "Ah, now I get it!"-moments. Also, I loved RE2 for the way that you replay the entire game with the other character though differently while still being familiar.

Trigger

It seems like if you miss a weapon you get it automatically the following chapter. I've started a chapter with a gun I'm pretty sure I didn't find.

Kwanzaa Tim

Neo Member
Well I know I'm a junior, and don't post very much, but would like to add my 2 cents about this game, as a Resident Evil fan, despite some of the missteps of past and present games.

-Was there someone at Capcom who trademarked the weapon upgrade system from 4 (and to a lesser extent 5 which took steps back: more to do with inventory management and UI IMO) who either left or was fired and took that idea with him? I get that given the scenarios each group has their own loadouts--- but to not be able to upgrade power/fire rate/capacity..or even find out more about a gun? I know having the weird trench coat merchant was immersion breaking--- but the actual upgrades (and then secret characteristics for each gun) were one of the best parts of the Action addition to the series. We're left with, a skill system that really provides no real tactile feedback for investment. They do what they do, but the information is lacking, and the feedback loop almost intangible.

-The combat. Only have played Chris's so far on Normal but.. What happened? Perhaps it has a lot to do with his loadout, but man its really poor. The AR seems to fire tiddily-winks at the J'avo, with the handgun fairing a bit better(?!). After dying quite a bit even after making the suggested camera and laser sight changes in this thread, the guns just feel extremely weak. I'd be alright with the ammo constraints if the hitstun/feedback were better. If you shot a ganado in the face he'd stumble around for a few seconds allowing you to melee up, now most of the time I shoot half a guys face off completely but he's still in the fight, allowing no melee prompt and instead having to chance this new auto-combo/stamina thing that sometimes hits, and sometimes doesn't. Its like the J'avo have invincible animation frames-- maybe you're still doing some damage, but I have no way of seeing it. It irks me that the knife seems the most effective weapon, if you can get it to connect.

..phew. A'ok, done raging and now asking GAF for some help: What do you have your camera settings (speed, aim speed, default run, aim to camera or player view) set at? Is there some guide to the combat system in either written or video form I could make use of? I've seen a video of Helena in Mercs doing some absolutely awesome looking things (shots to stun, melee prompt dropkick, slide tackle into shotgun spree)..but I can't do anything even close to that now, heck the time between an aimed shot to sprint animation to melee takes too long for me to get a prompt most of the time. Maybe its because the RT trigger on the 360 has more travel time than just a button, which is something I can try changing, but I can't seem to emulate the fluid stuff I actually know is in the game somewhere.

Just looking for some advice and some tips, love the series, enjoyed each of the games (and even some of the spin-offs) without much issue--- and now I'm here sitting at the end of Chapter 2 for Chris wondering just what the hell I'm doing wrong that I can't enjoy something that seems integral to the action nature of the past 2 numerated entries in this series. I want to stick with it, and maybe with some tweaking it gets a lot better, but I'm having a hard time doing so.

Bladenic

Oh yeah the
snowmobile section was terrible. You had to practically follow Sherry because if not you'd die if you were on the wrong part of the area. I also missed all the stuff you can pick up including the damn blue medal. Can't believe they placed one there, ugh. The stealth section was awesome though.

Sojgat

Well I know I'm a junior, and don't post very much, but would like to add my 2 cents about this game, as a Resident Evil fan, despite some of the missteps of past and present games.

-Was there someone at Capcom who trademarked the weapon upgrade system from 4 (and to a lesser extent 5 which took steps back: more to do with inventory management and UI IMO) who either left or was fired and took that idea with him? I get that given the scenarios each group has their own loadouts--- but to not be able to upgrade power/fire rate/capacity..or even find out more about a gun? I know having the weird trench coat merchant was immersion breaking--- but the actual upgrades (and then secret characteristics for each gun) were one of the best parts of the Action addition to the series. We're left with, a skill system that really provides no real tactile feedback for investment. They do what they do, but the information is lacking, and the feedback loop almost intangible.

-The combat. Only have played Chris's so far on Normal but.. What happened? Perhaps it has a lot to do with his loadout, but man its really poor. The AR seems to fire tiddily-winks at the J'avo, with the handgun fairing a bit better(?!). After dying quite a bit even after making the suggested camera and laser sight changes in this thread, the guns just feel extremely weak. I'd be alright with the ammo constraints if the hitstun/feedback were better. If you shot a ganado in the face he'd stumble around for a few seconds allowing you to melee up, now most of the time I shoot half a guys face off completely but he's still in the fight, allowing no melee prompt and instead having to chance this new auto-combo/stamina thing that sometimes hits, and sometimes doesn't. Its like the J'avo have invincible animation frames-- maybe you're still doing some damage, but I have no way of seeing it. It irks me that the knife seems the most effective weapon, if you can get it to connect.

..phew. A'ok, done raging and now asking GAF for some help: What do you have your camera settings (speed, aim speed, default run, aim to camera or player view) set at? Is there some guide to the combat system in either written or video form I could make use of? I've seen a video of Helena in Mercs doing some absolutely awesome looking things (shots to stun, melee prompt dropkick, slide tackle into shotgun spree)..but I can't do anything even close to that now, heck the time between an aimed shot to sprint animation to melee takes too long for me to get a prompt most of the time. Maybe its because the RT trigger on the 360 has more travel time than just a button, which is something I can try changing, but I can't seem to emulate the fluid stuff I actually know is in the game somewhere.

Just looking for some advice and some tips, love the series, enjoyed each of the games (and even some of the spin-offs) without much issue--- and now I'm here sitting at the end of Chapter 2 for Chris wondering just what the hell I'm doing wrong that I can't enjoy something that seems integral to the action nature of the past 2 numerated entries in this series. I want to stick with it, and maybe with some tweaking it gets a lot better, but I'm having a hard time doing so.

Ok, here's a helpful list of some of the moves you can do from another poster:

I use Camera: 4, Aiming: 6. I've seen a bunch of players recommend camera speed less than 5, aiming speed more than 5.

I suggested the same thing regarding a moves list in the OT back in the demo thread. Players who don't roll, slide, quick shot, etc... are going to have a horrible time with the game. Here's a quick list:

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim while sprinting - Slide (Will stun enemies. Can slide into cover and keep Aim held down to stay in cover)
-Slide+left stick down - 180 slide
-Sprint+Melee - dash attack
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick. Can simply duck if not holding a direction. Can cancel duck into a dodge)
-Hold Heal and reload - Reload pill container
-(Jake's Hand to Hand) Hold Aim until target is acquired, then mash Melee - Three hit combo
-(Knives only) While aiming, left stick down+Melee - Stab attack
-Y/Triangle while aiming certain weapons - Select fire mode
*Can quick shot with knives and grenades
*Stagger system still in effect. Headshot a humanoid enemy to stagger them, then perform a contextual melee (front or back) for massive damage.

I might have forgotten some but it's a start.

-Quick shots are great for stunning enemies to set them up for melee attacks.

-Melee is much more the focus of combat in RE6 and using it well is the key to success.

-Keep an eye on your stamina gauge, taking cover will refill it faster (so will being on the ground without moving).

-Don't waste ammo, shoot enemies in the arm to spin them, then melee attack.

-I suggest putting skills points into firepower, it increases weapon damage, and thus the feeback you get from them. Shooting zombies with this skill at level 3 will shred them.

-Weapons have their own unique attacks and combos (hold aim and continue to tap attack after quick shots for certain characters/weapons). Chris's knife for example does a multi slash by aiming and tapping back + A/X (solo action) button, great for fending off advancing enemies.

-Melee prompts can be janky, but you eventually get the feel of what the game wants and when enemies are vulnerable.

-Rotate both sticks during grappling QTEs.

-Sliiide.

My camera settings are:
Camera - 5
Aiming - 8
Always favour preferred hand when leaving cover
Hud locked to the right

other people like setting the camera speed lower at 3 or even 2 because it can help with motion sickness from the FOV and bad camera.

Afrocious

I just started Chris' campaign and only did Chapter 1 on Veteran. I was able to stun enemies just fine with a shot to the head with both the AR and the handgun.

I say play Mercenaries and experiment with the default controls, then change them from there. What works for other people may not work for you. For example: I pretty much stick with the default settings, except my camera speed is about 2 and my aim speed is 5-7. I also use the crosshairs.

Here's a video of me playing Mercenaries as Leon. It's not the most impressive vid (mediocre lol), but watch how simple I play. Consider it a step toward getting as good as that Helena in Mercenaries (which I'm getting closer too now prior to making this video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOb7PBwOMQE&feature=plcp

Jake is the best new RE character. Sorry. Facts are facts. Unchangeable.

Anyway, that moment in Resident Evil 6 when you realize that you're fighting
Yakuza J'avo

ezekial45

Banned
Was anyone else really creeped out by
mutated Simmons?

yeesh, that's by far the most disturbing monster design in the series. It made my flesh crawl just looking at it.

Sojgat

Tips for the
train boss?

If someone could co-op it with me that'd be even better.

It sucks.

Get up and down from the train's roof (requires a partner action under the roof hatches) and dash to opposite ends from the Ai to get either side of it when it comes up/down. It's more vulnerable from behind, but otherwise nothing special, just shoot it a lot and don't get hit. Oh, yeah and use explosives if you have them.

spoiler tagged your post for sensitive people

Grisby

mutated Simmons?

yeah, that's by far the most disturbing monster design in the series. It made my flesh crawl just looking at it.
A lot of these designs are freaking me out. There's a creature in Jake's campaign early on that looks like it stepped out of a horror Final Fantasy game, yet it still creeped me out. A lot of creatures have bug elements,etc; Capcom has the monster design on lock down.

If you look closely too(especially on the monster you mentioned) you can see all of the moving bits and pieces. It's nuts.

Sojgat

mutated Simmons?

yeesh, that's by far the most disturbing monster design in the series. It made my flesh crawl just looking at it.

All his forms looked pretty awesome I loved how everything was sectionalised when he explodes/changes form/devours people, just Hellraiser type stuff.

mutated Simmons?

Just wait till you see the thing at the end of chapter 4
of Adas campaign
I really was freaked out by that encounter. It hit all the right notes for me.

Sojgat

Does shooting enemies in the arm even work with J'avo? I haven't been able to do it at all with Chris so far.

Rarely, mostly it will only stagger them (especially when they are actively shooting at you), shooting them in the face does this more. Spin trick works consistently on
non armored
zombies.

YoungOne

Finished Leon's and Jake's campaign liking Jake's campaign more due to it having more variety. There are some parts that are annoying in this game, but I'm enjoying it a lot. The combat is so satisfying.

Bollocks

Strange, I played Chris's campaign on default settings and on veteran. Never had those problems. Headshot/Quickshot -> slide attack and then melee gets the job done for me, even in combat situations.
Maybe I upgraded the right attributes?!
But I definitely agree with the skill system, not being able to upgrade your weapon individually is a letdown.

Also, have they toned down Chris's demo level, at the end of the demo there were far more enemies, we almost died in the demo, now retail version and on veteran it was a piece of cake.

Pulling my hair out playing Chris' Chapter 5/last boss. I don't have enough ammo for this shit! Aaargh!

EDIT: And another thing, what the HELL are you supposed to do when
the giant B.O.W. grabs you and crushes you after a few seconds? I had full health and no QTE came up to save me.

You can always play it with me Heapy, I'm a pro at this game. :flex:
then get it on xbox man

News Bot

Banned
EDIT: And another thing, what the HELL are you supposed to do when
the giant B.O.W. grabs you and crushes you after a few seconds? I had full health and no QTE came up to save me.

Shoot it.

The J'avo designs are stellar honestly.

All of the Chrysalid enemies too, I'd wager. The whole Chrysalid concept in general is fantastic and genuinely quite horrifying.

The full files on RE.net also confirm that the "BIOHAZARD Marhawa Desire" manga is canon and acts as a prequel to the game. It's a test for the C-Virus.

Astral

If I quit in the middle of a chapter do I have to start from the beginning the next time I load the game? I have stuff to do and don't think I'll have enough time to finish Leon's 2nd chapter. Also, how come the PS3 version doesn't get more language options like the 360?

Kwanzaa Tim

Neo Member
Wow, thanks a lot Afrocious and Sojgat. Christ, I didn't even realize there was a dodge roll, just a dive back/aim on ground. Afro's video especially showed a lot of staying mobile, aware, and quick shotting into melee crowd control. I noticed that a lot of times you were sprinting over obstacles without a prompt--- is it really that simple, you automatically do it if you can, no need for a button prompt? Jesus, well that changes a lot, I've been going by the RE4 "wait for the prompt" for everything including movement. I've got a much better idea what I can do to make it a more satisfying experience. Really appreciate it guys, thank you.

Trigger

If I quit in the middle of a chapter do I have to start from the beginning the next time I load the game? I have stuff to do and don't think I'll have enough time to finish Leon's 2nd chapter. Also, how come the PS3 version doesn't get more language options like the 360?

Yeah, unfortunately I believe the game will start you at the beginning. Checkpoints are for deaths.

News Bot

Banned

You can, but only after the typewriter save icon comes and goes. And I'm pretty sure the PS3 version has all languages already on the Blu-Ray and changes according to your PS3's language settings.

branny

Wow, thanks a lot Afrocious and Sojgat. Christ, I didn't even realize there was a dodge roll, just a dive back/aim on ground. Afro's video especially showed a lot of staying mobile, aware, and quick shotting into melee crowd control. I noticed that a lot of times you were sprinting over obstacles without a prompt--- is it really that simple, you automatically do it if you can, no need for a button prompt? Jesus, well that changes a lot, I've been going by the RE4 "wait for the prompt" for everything including movement. I've got a much better idea what I can do to make it a more satisfying experience. Really appreciate it guys, thank you.
There is also a tech roll if you hold X (A on 360?) right after getting knocked down. I don't remember seeing it listed in the advice that was given to you.

Grisby

It's best to wait until you see a loading screen with graphics/tips because usually after that it says saving in the top left of the screen (with a typewriter). I think people have been having problems quitting when it just says 'checkpoint' and not 'saving'.

So yeah, it sorta is. I don't know about the ps3 deal.

Astral

You can, but only after the typewriter save icon comes and goes. And I'm pretty sure the PS3 version has all languages already on the Blu-Ray and changes according to your PS3's language settings.

Oh really? That's weird. I don't see why they couldn't just put it in the options. I guess I'll just stop playing for now.

Jake is the best new RE character. Sorry. Facts are facts. Unchangeable.

Anyway, that moment in Resident Evil 6 when you realize that you're fighting
Yakuza J'avo

Have you played as
Yakuza J'avo, just as awesome. Especially when you get hit and transform into a monster.

Dartastic

Okay, I've now completed Chapters 1-4 for Jake and Leon, and 1-3 as Chris. While fun, I have come to the conclusion that creatively, Resident Evil really doesn't have anything to offer anymore from a story perspective. Chapter 4 for Leon was just ridiculous. Apparently the 4th and 5th Chris chapters are really great though, right? Hoorayyyy. =)

Hey GAF, dropping a question again:

RE6, better game than 5 as solo or the same making co-op pretty much THE way to enjoy it. Tho I didn't think 5 was that bad in solo but certainly way less annoying in co-op!

and remember you can auto mix herbs/refill tablets without going into the inventory by:

R2 + Square on PS3
RB + X on 360
I like that they added this feature, but I hardly ever use it unless I'm completely out of pills. Otherwise, I tend to end up messing up the timing and accidentally eating one of my pills instead of mixing them / reloading my pill case.

Top Bottom