• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana) coming to PC 10/23, XBLA/PSN early 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQcVgc4bmo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UClNHo0Gp7Y

Offenburg, September 26th, 2012 – Germany based independent game studio Black Forest Games announces their upcoming platformer GIANA SISTERS: TWISTED DREAMS will be available worldwide on PC (Windows) on October 23rd, 2012.

GIANA SISTERS: TWISTED DREAMS is the official title for the indie platformer with a twist. The game had been recently funded with a successful Kickstarter campaign totaling over $190,000 ($40,000 over the initial goal). Originally titled Project Giana, the community was asked to decide between three proposals for the games' title. With 76% of the votes GIANA SISTERS: TWISTED DREAMS was the clear favorite.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a challenging fast-paced platformer with a twist. Players can warp Giana's dream into a nightmarish world of wonder, changing her abilities and interactions. Players must use their skills, speed, brains, and powers to defeat the dangers that populate her twisted dreams!

Cute Giana moves with speed and grace, twirling past hazards and adversaries with a light touch and gentle heart. With a quick morph her punk side comes out to play, full of raw attitude and a powerful dash to crush obstacles that block her way!

Key features of the final game will include:

● Powerful Abilities: Giana moves through the dream according to her desires and mood. When confronted, she can hammer past or drift on by. You make the call.
● Intuitive Controls and Smooth Gameplay: Controlling Giana is a breeze, but you'll eventually need every trick in her arsenal to defeat the cunning trials ahead.
● Amazing Worlds: Giana's dream worlds leap off the screen with gorgeous 3D graphics and the fantastic alterations of the morph!
● Tons of Cool Interactions: As Giana changes, so does the world around her. Fly with
bubblegum, ride conveyor belts, power along with repeaters, hop on springs, and even more.
● Legendary Soundtrack with Chris Hülsbeck and Machinae Supremacy!
● Explore and Discover: There are 16 rich levels across 3 distinct worlds, each transforming into the two dream worlds. Giana's dreams are abound with secret locations.
● Epic Boss Battles: Gigantic creatures from the depths of Giana's most terrifying nightmares are here to play too. Seriously, these guys are just plain brutal!

The PC version of the game will be available world-wide on Tuesday, October 23 2012. XBLA and PSN versions of are scheduled early 2013.

Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/223220/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

GOG:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/giana_sisters_twisted_dreams

Gamersgate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GSTD/giana-sisters-twisted-dreams

1-D_FTW

Seems awfully early. I voted to Greenlight it on Steam after playing the demo, but did so thinking it'd be seeing some massive polish before release. That demo is in no way ready for release IMO. Hope it was real early and they've gotten the jank out of it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Given that my crappy PC chugged while playing the demo, I'm super-stoked that it's also coming to consoles. Looks like I'm double dippin'.

Hate the artwork, but I'm looking forward to this.

Yeah. Pikomi's artwork for DS is so much better!

2083522-giana_by_pikomi.png

2083519-feature_gallery_giana18.jpg

Convinced by the wonderful OST alone... Needless to say I also tried the demo and I really liked it!!

I'll probably end up buying the PC version as well as the PSN one.

e_i

Been playing the 6 level demo. I guess I'll have
to fight that HUGE dragon at the end of the first level at the end of the demo
. I really do love the world changing.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I really hope it hits Steam next week considering it was just Greenlit. Not holding my breath, though.

Yuripaw

Banned
For old school gamers, I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with something I grew up with. It wasn't til recent years that I actually knew what the original Great Giana Sisters was on the Commodore 64, however I still have great nostalgia for the game because I played it a bunch when I was a kid.

I played a lot of C64 games when I was a kid, and most of the games my parents had were actually bootleg discs that we got at rummages. One of the games we had for C64 was called Super Mario Bros, and I always knew it seemed weird, and didn't seem like an official Mario game, but I still had fun with it. I eventually learned that the game I knew as Super Mario Bros on the C64 was actually Great Giana Sisters.

Someone must have gone into the game, and replaced the sprite for Giana with a recreation of Mario, and all the text had been changed too. Did anyone else ever see anything like this? It was crazy to learn later on that this was game I had been playing. It was kinda fun, and I do remember thinking the music was great when I was a kid. Anyway, I totally plan to get this on Steam if it's said to run alright.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
For old school gamers, I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with something I grew up with. It wasn't til recent years that I actually knew what the original Great Giana Sisters was on the Commodore 64, however I still have great nostalgia for the game because I played it a bunch when I was a kid.

I played a lot of C64 games when I was a kid, and most of the games my parents had were actually bootleg discs that we got at rummages. One of the games we had for C64 was called Super Mario Bros, and I always knew it seemed weird, and didn't seem like an official Mario game, but I still had fun with it. I eventually learned that the game I knew as Super Mario Bros on the C64 was actually Great Giana Sisters.

Someone must have gone into the game, and replaced the sprite for Giana with a recreation of Mario, and all the text had been changed too. Did anyone else ever see anything like this? It was crazy to learn later on that this was game I had been playing. It was kinda fun, and I do remember thinking the music was great when I was a kid. Anyway, I totally plan to get this on Steam if it's said to run alright.
This was my first exposure to Giana Sisters as well. The ol' hacked copy with some Mario characters tossed into it.

I found some footage of it on YouTube. There are other videos that show more of the game, but they're those inane "Let's Play" videos where some fool is spouting off "clever" commentary over the music and sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRU8bHzh0zE

Nocebo

I wonder if the art work purposely makes the main characters look like cross dressing men as a nod to super Mario bros? Seriously these guys need to learn how to draw girls, especially the blonde one. In game looks great though, the background especially looks amazing.
Played the original on the c64 way back when, good times.

Katzii

Given that my crappy PC chugged while playing the demo, I'm super-stoked that it's also coming to consoles. Looks like I'm double dippin'.

Pretty much this. I paid into the Kickstarter since I wanted this to happen but pretty much was waiting on a console port. Will be looking forward to it!

Really looking forward to this now. The DS one was great and this is looking fine. Glad it's coming to Steam soon. And it's good that it's getting a console release, of course! I wish the devs all the best, hope it does them well.

Edit: Next Tuesday! Holy awesome.

Dr Dogg

I can remember Rob Florance from consolevania/VideoGaiden chatting about this on Charlie Brooker's GamesWipe.

Krabboss

This does seem a little fast, but I wasn't into the demo much so maybe it's just me. Ahh, I don't know if I want to get it...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I just remembered I kickstarted this, any idea when the keys will be sent out?

I got this email today.

Dear backers,

We’re so excited! Your digital rewards are nearly ready to go and we’ll be sending them out soon! You should receive a mail with your download links (and your bonus Steam key) around…

For the folks in the UK: 12:00 PM GMT (October 22/23)

For the folks in Europe: 02:00 AM CET (October 23)

For the folks on the US East Coast and in Canada: 08:00 PM EST (October 22)

For the folks on the US West Coast: 05:00 PM PST (October 22)

For the folks in Russia: 04:00 AM Moscow time (October 23)

Your DRM-free direct download version may take a while to upload. Should it take longer than anticipated and miss the official release date, we’ll send you two mails instead of one so that you can immediately start playing on Steam if you wish!

epmode

It's out, it's fun and I really like the bouncy fire attack skill thing! It's very Sonic.

I can't figure out how to get the last 40 or so gems in the second level (Whirlwind Woods)! I know where they are but they're well out of reach!

edit: FOUND IT

dude

dude
Oh, it's out! I was pretty bummed about missing the Kickstarter, glad I can finally buy it. I really liked the demo.

cajunator

Banned
Oh my....Platformers are making a bit of a comeback in various ways. Makes me happy.
Always loved the music to Giana Sisters.

wow, i literally just got started on the ORIGINAL Giana Sisters, now i find there's a new one out lol talk about being behind the times :(

looks fantastic though this new one

Top Bottom