• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana) coming to PC 10/23, XBLA/PSN early 2013

Durante

This game has a really nice settings program. For some reason I love separate settings programs when they are nicely made (also in Falcom games).

settingsb1u8y.png

And a screenshot:
gsgameexe-2012-10-23-4kuzk.jpg

This game is totally worth the (small) asking price.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game has a really nice settings program. For some reason I love separate settings programs when they are nicely made (also in Falcom games).
I like that too, though I prefer being able to make on the fly adjustments from within the game.

MDSLKTR

Wow, is it safe to say that it's the best looking platformer currently available (outside of Trine 2 of course)?

Veal

Man this game is really nice! Hearing Machinae Supremacy is so cool/strange in this game! The only complaints I have so far are: the girls do not sound cute to me and the bounceback from the fireball can be a bit brutal at times. Other than that, excellent game!

Spitz

Love the game so far runs fine on my rig and the music is great. The amount of content you get for the money seems to be more than ok.

The digital soundtrack from the Kickstarter package i choose included flac and mp3 files. :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey GAF, this game rocks, that is all. Glad the kickstarter made it (I shamefully did nothing to help, but I purchased it day 1 at least!)

Where can I buy the complete soundtrack? Because it's great, and I need it on my phone.

What a freaking gorgeous game. Reminds me of something I'd play on the Amiga(I never played an Amiga).

Ugh...can't imagine beating this game on the hardcore modes though. I spent 27 lives on the first boss level alone.

Think I'm going to pick this up. I've bought way to many games recently (and haven't finished many at all) but I really loved the demo and thought all the collectibles were excellently placed in places and ways that encouraged you to push the mechanics. Loving the positive impressions.

EDIT: Done. Can't think of a time when I'll be able to play it soon, but I'll have it ready for when I do.

Back to school work.

Where can I buy the complete soundtrack? Because it's great, and I need it on my phone.
will probably be made available for sale when huelsbeck finishes the proper cd version. maybe? think he's working on that. the download I got with the ost is just a file dump of the music files. which is fine, but they haven't got track infos or anything. a bit annoying since there are two different composers and machinae tracks in there, no way to tell them apart, they're all just generic named for game functionality.

Fraeon

Man, the levels in this game are loooooooong. Almost too long, even. I think they could've just split some of the levels in half. The other thing (which incidentally also gets a mention in the RPS writeup) is that it'd be nice if there were more level themes than just the candy land and the Gears of War type.

I do like that the game isn't a complete pushover, though. Sure, there's a ton of checkpoints but a lot of levels really need them since some platforming sections are pretty brutal. And the game doesn't hold your hand as to how to use your powers either. Definitely going to go for a hardcore run later on. Not sure if I'll ever do über hardcore. That's crazy.

Enk

makes good threads.
There's a special Halloween level out today along with a patch 1.0.1:

Gameplay
•More code optimizations for smoother frame rates.
•Removed and/or altered final boss attacks that could trap you or catch you by surprise. Shield gem now spawns after phase 2 instead of after phase 1.
•More checkpoints!
•Miscellaneous level tweaks.
•Trampolines now have more lenient timing.

Audio
•Updated music and sound effects.

Bug Fixes
•Alt-tabbing should no longer cause any issues.
•Dashing into an enemy and rebounding into another should no longer get you killed except in some rare cases.
•Missing screen resolutions for certain refresh rates have been fixed.
•Game no longer crashes if you have no sound card or deactivate it.
•The idle animation can now also be canceled with a crouch as intended.
•Jumping on owls in Score Attack now gives you points as it should.
•Dashing at turtles should now be easier.
•Bricks now always shatter if you dash through them.
•Some erroneous EN text in non-EN languages has been fixed.
•Miscellaneous small fixes to the launcher.

Katzii

What a freaking gorgeous game. Reminds me of something I'd play on the Amiga(I never played an Amiga).

Ugh...can't imagine beating this game on the hardcore modes though. I spent 27 lives on the first boss level alone.

Well, the original WAS on Amiga, so you wouldn't be far off. The Amiga has lots of gorgeous games, though.

Don't suppose there's been any news on the console front?

Have been playing in small spurts since launch. Nice to see a Giana Sisters game come into its own. It feels very much like its own thing. No longer just an alternative to the most popular thing but is also now more vaiable to be taken this way. I'm not sure where the space for this kind of game is but it's just good that it exists.

Just a friendly reminder, newegg has Giana Sisters DS for $14.99. It took way too long to get released in NA and it seems like it was overlooked, which is a bummer because every old school platforming fan should at least give it a spin. The sprite work is amazing and the levels are fun even though they never get especially difficult. It also has a good amount of content for the genre, with worthwhile extras for completionists. Definitely worth checking out if you missed it.

Yeah, this game's pretty good. I'm liking it a lot so far, in both graphics and gameplay.

Just a friendly reminder, newegg has Giana Sisters DS for $14.99. It took way too long to get released in NA and it seems like it was overlooked, which is a bummer because every old school platforming fan should at least give it a spin. The sprite work is amazing and the levels are fun even though they never get especially difficult. It also has a good amount of content for the genre, with worthwhile extras for completionists. Definitely worth checking out if you missed it.
Isn't the DS one supposed to be really easy though?

Well, the original WAS on Amiga, so you wouldn't be far off. The Amiga has lots of gorgeous games, though.

Don't suppose there's been any news on the console front?
Amiga? I thought it was a Commodore 64 game...

Katzii

Amiga? I thought it was a Commodore 64 game...

It came out on many systems, albeit not for very long!

As for the DS one, it's not a difficult game by all means. That being said, I did leave off on a level where I was stuck for finding all of the red diamonds. Maybe when I clear a space in my gaming schedule, I'll go back and finish it. The bonus of
being able to play the levels from the original game after completing the DS game without losing continues and finding all the red diamonds
is worth it alone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
tveCY.jpg

sQuST.jpg

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream updated today with a free XMAS level thingy. Apparently its also going to come as a free downloadable demo to Steam and GOG sometime this month/soon as well, and we ALL LIKE FREE THINGS.

Is a pretty cool level actually with a bit more devilish platforming involved to show you more of the true game if you don't have it already you very short and unpopulated old topic you.

1-D_FTW

http://i.imgur.com/tveCY.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sQuST.jpg[IMG]

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream updated today with a free XMAS level thingy. [B]Apparently its also going to come as a free downloadable demo to Steam and GOG sometime this month/soon as well, [/B]and we ALL LIKE FREE THINGS.

Is a pretty cool level actually with a bit more devilish platforming involved to show you more of the true game if you don't have it already you very short and unpopulated old topic you.[/QUOTE]

Definitely needed. For anyone who bought, is the final game more polished than the beta that was released? Cause as much as I liked the concept, I felt it was extremely rough and no where near ready for final release. This is why I originally thought it was a 2013 title.

Tizoc

Any word on the release date for PSN? If I end up liking the PSN ver., I'll prob. get the PC ver. too.

alstein

Glad for the Demo, plan on trying that out because I was going to get this- gives me a chance to see if it's money worth spending, though if it hits 75% I'll bite early.

Demo seemed terrible, but I heard the game was tighetened up heavily, is this going to be a new demo?

stuminus3

Quick review before I get an early night (Santa's coming, kids will be up soon), just wanted to say that I picked this up on sale from GOG in their indie platform bundle a few days ago, been playing it since then and it's FANTASTIC. Like a seriously high-quality production, not only because it looks and sounds amazing (that soundtrack!), it's actually has some really great level design. Very impressed. It's like it's from an alternate reality where ST/Amiga platformers became the #1 genre through the years and became this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Well...shit, why the fuck would people pick Towns over this for a flash sale... :(

I figure that a lot of people had to have picked this up in the past few days between GreenManGaming's and Steam's (still active!) flash sale.

As a fan of the DS remake of the original, and having paid 30 cents for the game after GMG's various promotions, I'm feeling pretty positively toward it. But I'm not that far, so what's everyone thinking so far? Without a doubt it's a gorgeous game (even though I'm not in love with some aspects of the artwork). The animations when shifting dimensions are a joy to watch.

Jedi2016

Picked this one up yesterday on Steam flash sale.

If I set the game to DX11 mode, it crashes on startup. I can only seem to get it to run in DX9 mode. Is this a common issue, or something specific to me? I haven't done anything to try to fix it yet (reinstall, etc).

That said, the game is absolutely gorgeous and runs at a rock-solid 60fps. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just bought this. I played it on the C64, but someone stuck Mario in instead and at the end was a princess instead of a giant gem. But the music was kept the same. The music is so freaking good!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone else got impressions? Soundtrack sounds really good.

Ermac

I really enjoyed it, nice mechanics and visuals. Got pretty challenging towards the end.

How much was it during the steam sale? I didn't even know this game existed till today.

Lijik

Anyone else got impressions? Soundtrack sounds really good.

Been playing this recently and was going to do a LTTP thread when my current bout of gaming ADD let me get to the end.
Its absolutely fantastic. Swell gameplay mechanic, the graphics are great (the transforming world has yet to get old) and as you mentioned the soundtrack is really good.
I love it.

Ermac

Nuts wish I bought it when it was 6 bucks. Oh well, better to support a game like this.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game just got confirmed for the Wii U eShop as well via the Facebook.
Hmmmm, I didn't see that. Anyways, good! The game is one of the best looking 2D platformers I've ever seen and it's an "indie" game. Really awesome job Black Forest Games did with it.

Top Bottom