• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (TurboGrafx SCD/PC Engine SCD) Fan Dub Completed!

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13136.0

Yes, after eight years of work, this long-in-the-making fan dub is finally done and released. The text translation patch was done years ago, but understandably, getting together a voices patch was much more difficult... sounds like it was quite the project. It was necessary in order to actually understand the whole story, though; TGCD cutscenes don't usually have subtitles.

And so, they put in the work, and the result is that now anyone can play the whole game, in English, and actually understand the whole story, including the previously Japanese-only voices. Just awesome, awesome work... go to the link above for the download.

Youtube trailer they also posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxusqqY5Kw

For anyone who doesn't know, Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is a top-down action-RPG game by Hudson released in late 1993 only in Japan for the PC Engine Super CD (aka TurboGrafx Super CD in the US). The game plays a lot like Ys 1+2. As a Super CD game it requires the Super System Card in original Turbo CD systems. The game is an entirely different game from Falcom's Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Nintendo (which is also a Japan-only release). That game is also a top-down action-RPG, but it's a completely different one. Mask of the Sun has also Japanese-only PS2 and cellphone re-releases, and The Dawn of Ys is on the PS3 PSN in Japan, but neither game has ever had a Western release, unfortunately. Hopefully that changes someday, but in the interim, this is pretty awesome. And of course, it's easy to use a real disc copy of the game as the base for the text and now voice mods.

Aeana

I'm glad to see it's finally done, since the game was previously left in a kind of weird state for English-only speakers, since the voiced parts didn't have translated subtitles in the translation patch. The quality of the performances seems to vary going by the trailer, but I'm sure it beats not being able to understand the voices at all!

I'm glad to see it's finally done, since the game was previously left in a kind of weird state for English-only speakers, since the voiced parts didn't have translated subtitles in the translation patch.
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping that someone will tackle Xak III (for Turbo CD) next -- that one also has a text-only translation patch which leaves the cutscenes in Japanese-only.

The quality of the performances seems to vary going by the trailer, but I'm sure it beats not being able to understand the voices at all!
Yeah, that's for sure. I'll take mixed-quality voice acting over nothing any day!

Wow, I was actually pretty impressed with the trailer, I had a bad feeling back when there was a casting call for voice-overs but the voices seem to fit really well. Last time I played was years ago and I remember having to check a translation just for the cut scenes when I couldn't understand Japanese. This might bode well for the Legend of Xanadu 2 fansub/dub.

Welp, time to dust off my Duo-R.

Maybe I'll play more than two hours of this before dying of boredom. Eighth times a charm, eh?

VA isn't the problem, it's the mix, which is understandable.

Is this the one that there is a remake on vita?
No, that's Mask of the Sun, Falcom's Ys IV (for SNES). Falcom didn't make The Dawn of Ys, Hudson did.

Wow, I was actually pretty impressed with the trailer, I had a bad feeling back when there was a casting call for voice-overs but the voices seem to fit really well. Last time I played was years ago and I remember having to check a translation just for the cut scenes when I couldn't understand Japanese. This might bode well for the Legend of Xanadu 2 fansub/dub.
I presume that they're doing a text translation too? Because that one doesn't have a text translation, of the TGCD (action-)RPGs only Ys IV and Xak III have that.

cj_iwakura

Yep, the fan dub industry is pretty impressive. Even my little Shikigami project got some of their actors to turn out and help.

Falcom's Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Nintendo
No, that's Mask of the Sun, Falcom's Ys IV (for SNES). Falcom didn't make The Dawn of Ys, Hudson did.
Actually, that's incorrect. Falcom didn't make either of the two games, and the Vita game isn't specifically based on either one of them. Development of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun was licensed off to Tonkin House, while Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys was licensed off to Hudson Soft. The Vita game is Falcom finally going back and making their own "true" Ys IV.

Actually, that's incorrect. Falcom didn't make either of the two games, and the Vita game isn't specifically based on either one of them. Development of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun was licensed off to Tonkin House, while Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys was licensed off to Hudson Soft. The Vita game is Falcom finally going back and making their own "true" Ys IV.
Falcom was originally working with Sega on the MegaDrive (then MegaCD) Ys IV iirc. It was canceled though.

They used to claim Mask of the Sun was the canon Ys IV, dunno if that's changed now with Foliage Ocean (lol) in Celceta.

Top Bottom