• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possibly old: Resident Evil 4 = 1,230,000 copies sold

TheDiave

Banned
But of course, RE5 probably won't be GameCube exclusive... Cuz you know, over a million copies is diddly squat in Crapcom's eyes.

koam

Jacobi said:
Why dem sales incredible ? 3 millions would be incredible

1) It's on Gamecube..
2) .. and it's mature..
3) .. and it's non-exclusive..
4) .. and it's third party..
5) .. and this doesn't include the PS2 version

SantaC

Wario64 said:
only 210k in japan :(

too many people missing out on a goty 2005 candidate

yep, both Remake and RE0 did over 400K in japan. Japan has really abandoned the gamecube. With the low Zelda: MC sales in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Zelda does bad there also.

koam

Reilly said:
RE4 for PS2 will probably come close or sell more sadley...

I'm willing to bet that it won't.

SantaCruZer said:
yep, both Remake and RE0 did over 400K in japan. Japan has really abandoned the gamecube. With the low Zelda: MC sales in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Zelda does bad there also.

It's quasi 1st person, Japan doesn't like that.

Jacobi

Banned
koam said:
1) It's on Gamecube..
2) .. and it's mature..
3) .. and it's non-exclusive..
4) .. and it's third party..
5) .. and this doesn't include the PS2 version
1) So ? The GC is roughly on par with the Xbox
2) Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 did sell a million too, didn't it ?
3) Most costumers don't even know that
4) RS2...Sonic...

cvxfreak

The GC game still sells a respectable number each month. The small price should push sales further. I'm sure the Player's Choice version will also sell well into even the Revolution's lifetime.

TheDiave

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
incredible for Gamecube. Not for a system like PS2.
Exactly. It sold incredibly on its system. I think that would justify bringing RE5 to the 'Cube as well (I mean as long as it's before the next-gen consoles come out).

And isn't the proof sort of in the pudding anyways? The PS2 version is a disgrace in comparison.

Jacobi

Banned
TheDiave said:
Exactly. It sold incredibly on its system. I think that would justify bringing RE5 to the 'Cube as well (I mean as long as it's before the next-gen consoles come out).
Why ? There are like 18 mio GCs out there ? Why'd you call that incredible ? I'd call all >2,0 mio incredible (and I believe RE4 will easily have reached 2 mio at the end of this year).

puck1337

Reilly said:
RE4 for PS2 will probably come close or sell more sadley...
Why would that be sad? Capcom made an amazing game, and even if it doesn't quite stack up visually, the PS2 version will likely be just as good.

A silver lining of the low Gamecube sales is this:

It shows that the fanbase for a game like this already existed on the Cube long before the game came out, thus largely disproving the "Kiddy" argument that's plagued it this generation.

olimario

Banned
It's sad that arguably the 2 best GameCube games barely broke a million when Double Dash!! is close to 3 times that amount.
Not to mention RE4 and MP's sales are about on par with fucking Sonic Adventure 2. ugh.

olimario

Banned
puck1337 said:
Why would that be sad? Capcom made an amazing game, and even if it doesn't quite stack up visually, the PS2 version will likely be just as good.

It's sad that more of the GC fanbase won't purchase the title. Just like with VJ, I'm glad this will be getting more sales and exposure.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It'd be nice if Nintendo and Capcom did a system bundle with the game. Might help japanese sales numbers, too.

MarkMacD

Compare it against previous Cube REs (or any mature GC titles) and these are great numbers for this early (and at full price--the $10 drop just happened recently yeah?).

If Code: Veronica is any indication, it'll sell at least another couple million on PS2. Be happy people!

olimario said:
It's sad that more of the GC fanbase won't purchase the title. Just like with VJ, I'm glad this will be getting more sales and exposure.

Did you follow the PS2 version of VJ's sales at all, or are you trolling? 300k might seem low by Halo standards, but not every game is destined to do that well (Especially when it's so quirky). Katamari Damacy even at discount has yet to even hit 200k as far as I know, and no one seems to be bothered by that.

123rl

Most GC owners are idiots then, apparently. Because if there was any kind of justice this game would be the highest selling game this generation. Every GC owner should have bought this game :(

I guess you can blame it on people waiting for the PS2 version or the idiots who think it's bordered :lol (and don't know the difference between cropped and non-anamorphic widescreen)

MarkMacD

typhonsentra said:
I'm willing to bet that the PS2 version will sell poorly in comparison to the Gamecube version. Anyone want to challenge my claim?

Yes: You are wrong. :D

As I say in my other post, look at what CVX did on PS2 when it came out long after its original release on a smaller market system. The RE audience is still the PS audience.

olimario

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Did you follow the PS2 version of VJ's sales at all, or are you trolling? 300k might seem low by Halo standards, but not every game is destined to do that well (Especially when it's so quirky). Katamari Damacy even at discount has yet to even hit 200k as far as I know, and no one seems to be bothered by that.

Trolling what? I said I was glad VJ got more sales and more exposure on the PS2. I don't care if it was under 200k or not, it's nice that more experienced that gem of a game,

olimario

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Yes: You are wrong. :D

As I say in my other post, look at what CVX did on PS2 when it came out long after its original release on a smaller market system. The RE audience is still the PS audience.

Not only that, but look at the sales in Japan of that online RE shitfest. RE4 will do very well on the PS2.

olimario said:
Trolling what? I said I was glad VJ got more sales and more exposure on the PS2. I don't care if it was under 200k or not, it's nice that more experienced that gem of a game,

200k? Try under 100k.

MarkMacD

olimario said:
Not only that, but look at the sales in Japan of that online RE shitfest. RE4 will do very well on the PS2.

Good point. REOutbreak sales in Japan are what, more than double their RE4 GC sales? Christ I think I'm gonna be sick....

koam

olimario said:
Under 200k includes under 100k.
And what was I trolling?

That's like saying RE4 sold under 50 million copies, yes it's true but you can be way more accurate. Anyway. the numbers are in the link i posted.

SantaC

MarkMacD said:
Good point. REOutbreak sales in Japan are what, more than double their RE4 GC sales? Christ I think I'm gonna be sick....

That's what happens when the PS2 sells 30K weekly in Japan while the GC does like 4K a week.

MarkMacD

SantaCruZer said:
That's what happens when the PS2 sells 30K weekly in Japan while the GC does like 4K a week.

True, but the ratio is similar here, and Americans, god bless us, bought a fuck-ton more RE4s than that POS Outbreak :)

olimario

Banned
MarkMacD said:
True, but the ratio is similar here, and Americans, god bless us, bought a fuck-ton more RE4s than that POS Outbreak :)

It could be tied to the new way of playing. I know a lot of people in Japan aren't down with the first person view or the third person over-the-shoulder view. Perhaps they saw Outbreak as more traditional.

My main problem with this attitude is that it isn't applied to the other systems at all. The Gamecube version sells well and people respond with an "It's not good enough response". Leading up to the release of the January NPD figures, no one predicted RE4 would sell 320k, and even when it surpassed all expectations it's still ignored. Hell, it's even outsold DMC3 by quite a bit, which was thought to become a huge hit just like the original was.

SantaC

MarkMacD said:

I know, power to the americans! Plus that all Nintendo classic franchises are still very strong in America (zelda, mario and metroid)

Solid

Jacobi said:
IT IS OUT SINCE JANUARY
Not on my console.
toothy.gif

And I can't see why people bitch. You guys claim this is the best game this gen, then why not be happy that more people get to play it?

NWO

MarkMacD said:

Resident Evil Outbreak File#2 = 177,459 in Japan

The first Outbreak outsold RE4 but so did Zero and Remake. RE4 was also censored in Japan so you can't blame them for not wanting to play a game that has all the fun taking out of it. The PS2 version WILL BE CENSORED as well so its not going to do well in Japan either.

And I don't get all the hate on RE4 because in just 5 months it already has more worldwide sales then Ninja Gaiden or DMC2 even though those games have been out for a lot longer.

cvxfreak

Capcom really should have released biohazard 4 during December. I'm sure it would have sold 300K under those conditions.

NWO said:
Resident Evil Outbreak File#2 = 177,459 in Japan

File 2 is actually at 200K now using Famitsu sales. I can't actually show you, but I assure you it's at 200K.

MarkMacD

olimario said:
It could be tied to the new way of playing. I know a lot of people in Japan aren't down with the first person view or the third person over-the-shoulder view. Perhaps they saw Outbreak as more traditional.

Yeah, I think it's partly just not the Cube audience there, and partly that. RE4, largely because of the view, is by far the most "western" of the RE games (which wasn't on accident).

And what about how piss poor they marketed this game? I saw maybe 2 commercials for this game in January compared to about a bajillion Mercenaries ads. For a game to sell a million+, it usually needs to be more visible, which makes the current sales (WHich are still rising) even more impressive.

olimario

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Yeah, I think it's partly just not the Cube audience there, and partly that. RE4, largely because of the view, is by far the most "western" of the RE games (which wasn't on accident).

No kidding. Nintendo is the only company who can keep up with Western devs as far as camera and control go. They blazed the trail with Mario 64 and Zelda OOT and they continue to clear the path.

Konami fucking sucks at camera and control.
Capcom did until RE4 and even then they have a ways to go.
Square is just as lost as ever.

Ease up on the PS2 is "the ultimte game seller" bandwagon.

1) More competition on the PS2 (simply put, more games on the shelves).

I mean, there were no released GC games for the month of April. Basically, RE4 has become the 'game' to get because it's almost literally, 'the only game to get.' Every month for the GC is like a launch month in ways. As in most companies like to release launch games because of the lack of competition. And RE4 (cube) GOT A LOT OF advertising. Capcom probably won't be doing the same for the PS2. In fact, other than major press ads (ads in mags like PSM, IGN) there probably won't be any other for the PS2 version.

2) MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more piracy on PS2. 999x's worse I'd say matey ;)

3) More casuals own the PS2. Not saying it's a casual system, but it's quite obvious that PS2's "higher installed" base is from people who don't even buy games at all (i.e, interested in the console for the ability to pirate it). Especially if you inlcude the intall base for countries like Korea and China. And how many people bought a PS2 just for the DVD, and how many are 2nd through sales (as in your 1st PS2 broke on you).

4) A LOT OF you overblow Resident Evil's popularity. It's not that popular to sell 3 million.

And as far as I know, RE:Code Vernocia never hit 3 million (800,000 US) (400,000 JPN), and that was RE's FIRST JUMP TO NEXT-GEN consoles.

I highly doubt RE4 will do more on the PS2. With REmake and RE0 making debuts on the GC and the GC being a console where you can buy for 60 bucks (used), I think majority that are even interested in RE4 have already bought RE4. (warning: generalization) as in majority OUTSIDE of the 300 or so posters at gaming-age.

Top Bottom