• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possibly old: Resident Evil 4 = 1,230,000 copies sold

MarkMacD

NWO said:
The first Outbreak outsold RE4 but so did Zero and Remake. RE4 was also censored in Japan so you can't blame them for not wanting to play a game that has all the fun taking out of it. The PS2 version WILL BE CENSORED as well so its not going to do well in Japan either.

Zero and REmake outsold it eventually, or do you mean by this point (4 months after release at full price)? It's pointless to compare their To Date sales numbers....

In any case, I don't think being censored has anything to do with it. You haven't been able to blow off zombies' heads for awhile in jpn REs, I'm sure they are used to it by now (more likely don't even realize it).

SantaC

olimario said:
No kidding. Nintendo is the only company who can keep up with Western devs as far as camera and control go. They blazed the trail with Mario 64 and Zelda OOT and they continue to clear the path.

Konami fucking sucks at camera and control.
Capcom did until RE4 and even then they have a ways to go.
Square is just as lost as ever.

yeah...Nintendo is the only company that does a game in 3rd person perfect. (Zelda)

NWO

CVXFREAK said:
File 2 is actually at 200K now using Famitsu sales. I can't actually show you since it's confidential, but it is at 200K.

Probably is. I don't have updated Japan data and don't keep track of it so yours is probably a lot better than mine.

Also this game hasn't even had a price drop yet which will see an increase in sales that will see it eventually meet what Capcom wanted in sales for the game PLUS whatever sales the PS2 version gets.

And no matter what the doom and gloom group at GAF says it looks like Nintendo will be getting versions of Resident Evil next gen on their console with these sales. They won't be exclusive but Capcom will atleast make the game on Sony and Nintendo consoles. I'd also make the game on the Xbox 360 as well but I doubt Capcom will do that since nobody buys Capcom games on the Xbox.

Borys

Banned
So much for the "won't sell! shoulda been an Xbox title!" and "won't sell! people will wait for the PS2 version! stupid Capcom!" yelling.

Still I'd like it to sell 2M units, not 1.2M.

And I don't get all the hate on RE4 because in just 5 months it already has more worldwide sales then Ninja Gaiden or DMC2 even though those games have been out for a lot longer.

Nope, not DMC2.

DMC2 is at around

620 K (Japan+Asia)
635 K (US+Canada)

and I have no fuckin' clue what the EA numbers are. But I'm sure it's probably around 400-700 K. And unlike the press, a lot of casuals didn't thing DMC2 was -too- easy, (DMC2's number one complaint)

I thought it sucked, but whatever.

But sales in Japan mean a lot more for Capcom than overseas sales, that's quite obvious in many instances one really obvious one being that game costs more in Japan. 68 dollars as opposed to 50.

But it did outsell Ninja Gaiden though, by quite a bit. Shit, a lot of things outsold Ninja Gaiden...thank god for them money hats ! :lol :lol

Pimpwerx

Capbomb drove this series into the ground on the PS1. Since then, it's been a hollow shell of itself sales-wise. They are doing the same thing with DMC. Capcom knows how to milk any franchise of all its worth. Oh yeah, they did it with Onimusha too, lest I forget. I can't wait for their next franchise...that they drive into the ground. PEACE.

cvxfreak

Solid said:
Not on my console.
toothy.gif

And I can't see why people bitch. You guys claim this is the best game this gen, then why not be happy that more people get to play it?

Well it irks me slightly because it means that there are people out there who would settle for the version that was brought about by money rather than passion and that will be inferior to boot. It sets a predecent for other game companies to sell out if need be. It defeats the point of console value, too. I'm fine with RE4 hitting PS2 but it's just ridiculous to wait. Absolutely ridiculous.

Basically people are willing to settle for inferiority. And that sucks.

Jacobi

Banned
Solid said:
Not on my console.
toothy.gif

And I can't see why people bitch. You guys claim this is the best game this gen, then why not be happy that more people get to play it?
"We" pity you people who wait that long to play an inferior version of RE4

I think its more of the stigma that the series has, when most think of RE, they think of static backgrounds and sudden camera angle changes. Also I think Nintendo or Capcom should have continued to push commercials, possibly one emphasizing the rave reviews it received.

sly

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Well it irks me slightly because it means that there are people out there who would settle for the version that was brought about by money rather than passion and that will be inferior to boot. It sets a predecent for other game companies to sell out if need be. It defeats the point of console value, too. I'm fine with RE4 hitting PS2 but it's just ridiculous to wait. Absolutely ridiculous.

Basically people are willing to settle for inferiority. And that sucks.

You are hilarious! :lol How is it inferior? Does it play any different? Or maybe the watered down graphics affect the gameplay? Give me a break! Must really hurt you to see peole waiting for the PS2 version. :lol If you already have a Gamecube then there's no excuse but don't expect people to go out of their way to purchase a Cube just to play RE4.

MoxManiac

GC is pretty cheap though. And getting one automatically makes you able to play the new zelda. Wooo! Zombies and Zelda!

Pimpwerx said:
Capbomb drove this series into the ground on the PS1. Since then, it's been a hollow shell of itself sales-wise. They are doing the same thing with DMC. Capcom knows how to milk any franchise of all its worth. Oh yeah, they did it with Onimusha too, lest I forget. I can't wait for their next franchise...that they drive into the ground. PEACE.

WTF?!

DMC3 and RE4 mark two of the most "about faces" in video games. From DMC2 to DMC3, and from RE3 to RE4. And yes, some may say one of those games were "too hard" but oh well, fuck em' then.

Get a clue, d00de!

I guess this only shows how off NPD is.

They state that RE4 is at 450,000 (if you add up all the individual months).

Yet Capcom says 650,000.

And I checked the Capcom Japan website the (adobe file) and read through all of it.

Those are sales, as in 650,000 sold not shipped.

And I believe it's against the law to knowlingly submit incorrect figures that relate to shareholders information.

So, where is the other 200,000 come from?

Wal-Mart lol?

Pimpwerx

C- Warrior said:
WTF?!

DMC3 and RE4 mark two of the most "about faces" in video games. From DMC2 to DMC3, and from RE3 to RE4. And yes, some may say one of those games were "too hard" but oh well, fuck em' then.

Get a clue, d00de!
Riiiight. I look forward to Super Devil May Cry 4: Championship Edition Alpha and Resident Evil: Oh Who's Even Counting Anymore...Director's Cut. I haven't played either game, but Capcom milks every goddamn franchise they make. They are the kings of franchise whoring, making anything Nintendo does with Mario, or Square with FF, look tame. Does it matter that they make a recovery AFTER running the ship into the ground? According to you, it does. According to the sales charts, it doesn't. PEACE.

Alcibiades

Firest0rm said:
Nintendo is now advertising RE4 along with Killer 7 and SC:CT in NA, hopefully it will help push more units.
hmm, can anybody else confirm this?

I'm assuming you mean TV?

I'd love a link to the commercial, this is very good news if true...

According to the sales chart?

DMC3 (beside the Japanese region) is aimed to sell more than DMC2.

RE4 (beside the Japanese region) is aimed to sell more than REmake and RE0.

Dude, you just keep losing at your arguments. Drop it, Capcom milks. Yet so does every other damn company. It's not that special nor is it as serious as you make it sound.

THE ONLY game that really get lost in the whole thing (as in declining sales in ALL regions) would be the Onimusha series. But then again, when is selling more than one million ever a bad thing? And as long as Onimusha does that, it will be considered a worthwhile concept to Capcom. And 99.9% of other developers can only wish they had games that were sure-fire 1 million+ sellers. You don't have to be a Halo 2 and sell 10 bajallion copies to make a profit.

Now, going back to how you imply that Capcom is the worst milker of all... did you forget how in one E3 Konami seemingly announced 3 fuckin versions of Metal Gear?

And if you want to talk about sales firgures, :lol :lol @ MGS3 compared to MGS2... :lol

Alcibiades said:

I doubt they are having ads for Killer 7.

They are aiming to sell 350,000 units for Killer 7...worldwide.....

That's pretty much 100,000 in each of the Japan, Europe, NA regions.

Not too hard to accomplish...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
sly said:
You are hilarious! :lol How is it inferior? Does it play any different? Or maybe the watered down graphics affect the gameplay? Give me a break! Must really hurt you to see peole waiting for the PS2 version. :lol If you already have a Gamecube then there's no excuse but don't expect people to go out of their way to purchase a Cube just to play RE4.

Even if the gameplay stays the same but the graphics see a bit of a drop, it would mean it's inferior.

sly

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Even if the gameplay stays the same but the graphics see a bit of a drop, it would mean it's inferior.

As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay I could care less. :lol

I can't wait to use the "inferior card" if the Revolution ends up being the least powerful console next gen; *Oh no! Don't buy the Rev version, it's inferior, the Xbox 360 version looks so much better* :lol

koam

C- Warrior said:
I guess this only shows how off NPD is.

They state that RE4 is at 450,000 (if you add up all the individual months).

Yet Capcom says 650,000.

And I checked the Capcom Japan website the (adobe file) and read through all of it.

Those are sales, as in 650,000 sold not shipped.

And I believe it's against the law to knowlingly submit incorrect figures that relate to shareholders information.

So, where is the other 200,000 come from?

Wal-Mart lol?

Didn't I say Canada + USA? NPD only covers USA.

That's what I thought as well. But I guess it's from several contributors.

1) Canada
2) inclusion of retailers NPD doesn't cover (as little as that may be, it still counts)
3) Unnaccounted sales for whatever reasons.

To say that comes out 200,000 isn't THAT FAR of a stretch.

NPD is also off about 100,000 units for DMC3 as well. Capcom has DMC3 listed much higher than what NPD had for it.

Barrage

Canada pays the bills, bitch!

What do you think we've been doing while the NHL season was cancelled? Buying Resident Evil 4, Foo'!

jman2050

I think it's really annoying that just because of games like Pokemon, GTA, and Halo everyone sees 1 million worldwide sales of a game in a 4 month span as lackluster. People need to go look at some sales charts and see for themselves exactly how many games pass 1 million in their entire lifetime, much less in its first 4 months.

That said, I fully expect the numbers to be much higher when all is said and done, especially after the PS2 version's release. RE isn't really a killer brand, but I think RE4 is good enough to hit 2-2.5 million or so when all is said and done. Then again, I'm being optimistic.

LakeEarth

J2 Cool said:
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!!
NnnnnnnnnnnOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!

(RE4 5-4 spoiler)
MIKE NO!!! I KNOW I JUST MET YOU AND DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I HAVE YOUR BABY INSIDE ME NOOOOOOOOOO!!

(wipes tear)

Li Mu Bai

Banned
It's still selling first of all, & I believe many of you will be shocked at RE4's overall PS2 sales. Capcom's target was a projected 1.8 million units ww.

black_13

Banned
koam said:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/pdf/fy2005b.pdf (Page 32)

Incredible sales (for a non-exclusive Gamecube game):

Japan: 210,000
Europe: 360,000
North America: 660,000 (Canada + USA)
Total: 1,230,000 sold

Source: IGN boards

Might be incredible for you but for a game that's been in the making for 6 years it's deffinitly not very incredible for Capcom.

It pretty much had one of the biggest budgets out of any game from Capcom.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Wow. Didn't know Canada was such a huge market. I thought the best selling game in Canada was GTA:VC with an estimated 80K-100K

Actually TOS pulled down about that in Canada.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
black_13 said:
Might be incredible for you but for a game that's been in the making for 6 years it's deffinitly not very incredible for Capcom.

Read my post, 1.8 million. That R&D over the years became/evolved into different projects, like DMC for instance, PN0.3 used a variation on the current engine, etc. It hadn't been worked on incessantly.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
LakeEarth said:
NnnnnnnnnnnOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!

(RE4 5-4 spoiler)
MIKE NO!!! I KNOW I JUST MET YOU AND DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I HAVE YOUR BABY INSIDE ME NOOOOOOOOOO!!

(wipes tear)
For some reason, I became kind of attached to the guy, and I was REALLY pissed at the end of that scene.
Leon: Hey let's go out and get some drinks!
*Mike dies*
Leon and I: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
but seriously, the whole scene with Mike was the best part of the game aside from
the krauser knife fight and the krauser village battle.

jman2050

black_13 said:

I'm sorry, but 1 million sales in 4 months automatically puts it into the realm of 'incredible'

Not to mention that, as was said, not all of the R&D budget went into RE4 specifically.

cvxfreak

GaimeGuy said:
Didn't the first build of RE4 turn into DMC?

Yes. And that game sold 2 Million units plus worldwide.

biohazard 4 was definitely a profitable endeavour for Capcom, even if it seemed like it was in development forever. For one, it didn't contain any expensive CG moviework, unlike the Onimusha series and other games were released based around the R&D of it. DMC is one, P.N. 03 is another and we even have Demento. The PS2 version should bring in even more profit.

MarkMacD said:
If Code: Veronica is any indication, it'll sell at least another couple million on PS2. Be happy people!

I don't think that's really a fair indicator

Code Veronica on the PS2 didnt start to sell till it became a 20 dollar greatest hits, and then it picked up alot of speed, now you can get it at TRU for like 6 - 8 bucks NEW that also has helped it keep selling

sly said:
As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay I could care less. :lol

I can't wait to use the "inferior card" if the Revolution ends up being the least powerful console next gen; *Oh no! Don't buy the Rev version, it's inferior, the Xbox 360 version looks so much better* :lol

people play that card now all the time

olimario said:
Trolling what? I said I was glad VJ got more sales and more exposure on the PS2. I don't care if it was under 200k or not, it's nice that more experienced that gem of a game,

VJ on PS2 sold HORRIBLY I mean REALLY Horribly

I could have sworn according to the Febuary NPDs it was less than 50k in sales

Alcibiades said:

It's true. I've seen the commercial this week. It shows gameplay footages of Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory and Killer 7 with quotes from different reviews.

LakeEarth

GaimeGuy said:
For some reason, I became kind of attached to the guy, and I was REALLY pissed at the end of that scene.
Leon: Hey let's go out and get some drinks!
*Mike dies*
Leon and I: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
but seriously, the whole scene with Mike was the best part of the game aside from
the krauser knife fight and the krauser village battle.
Didn't say that section wasn't sweet, I'm just saying you know him for like 5 minutes and all of a sudden it's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

123rl

Why wouldn't it be like that though? Leon thought he was trapped on the Island and Mike was his only salvation. Mike saved him and helped him survive and Leon thought he could help him escape and then...boom

I was really into the game by this point. When Mike flew in and shit blew up I was just sat there with a stunned look on my face. It was just so cool. Then that happens and tbh that's the first time in ages that a game character's death has surprised me

Bit OT but I've just started playing this again. It's amazing how good it still feels to play :D It's my favourite game this generation, by a long way

Top Bottom