• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixeljunk 1-6 page appears (Platform: Steam)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sup people!

John here. I do all of the Q-Games social stuff and community shenanigans. I just wanted to jump in to clarify a few things.

As Dylan said, PixelJunk 1-6 isn't a referendum on PSN, or Sony, or anything like that. Developing 1-6 for the PC just offers us different opportunities than leading off on PSN would. I don't know if you guys follow us on Twitter (hint, hint - follow us on Twitter! @PixelJunkNews) but I've been addressing the same concerns you all are mentioning here through tweets today.

The PC, or Steam specifically, gives us flexibility to try different things during development. Like our dev blog, for example. We're essentially inviting the whole world into our weekly development meetings. It also gives us options such as early alpha or beta access, quickly updating the game, quick price changes, etc.

These are all things we could do on PSN, don't get me wrong. But with the nature of this project, it just feels like a better fit to go the PC route. We don't have a hard-line stance against the consoles, by any means. If 1-6 sells gangbusters on PC, we'll definitely have a lot of incentive to look at PSN.

We'd love to have all of the PixelJunk games on as many platforms as possible, honestly. But we're a small, independent studio, and the 1-6 team is only made up of four hardworking guys.

For all of the folks who are PixelJunk fans, we're just hoping that you cheer us on here, regardless of the platform. We want to continue making interesting games and not hop on the latest trend or start suffering from sequel/port-itis. Even if you aren't in love with all of our games, we hope you can respect that. With your help, I'm sure can help make PixelJunk 1-6 a huge hit and we can continue bringing awesome games to gamers.

Cuz it's about the games, right? ;-)

-------------------------

credit to kassatsu:

http://pixeljunk.jp/1-6/

bCDyr.png

Main screen turn on
Posted on October 30, 2012 by Rowan

Hi everyone. We’ve been making PixelJunk 1-6. It’s super-fun. We thought you guys should see too!

Every week we’ll be collecting our ideas and concepts here on this blog as we continue development on PixelJunk 1-6. We’re not sure how long it will take but, now everyone can peer in the window at us while we work (creepy..). If you have any questions check out our FAQ or maybe you’re just wondering “what the hell is PixelJunk 1-6″?

It’s still a work in progress, so remember that many of the things you see here on the blog might not end up in the game. We’re only a small team of 4 and can’t do everything (even though we want to!). If you do see something you really want though, let us know by making your voice heard in the comments!

Video games yay! :D

FAQ
Q: What is this site?

That’s a good question!

Q: Are you going to sell this? Price?
When we get to a point where we think it’s worth selling, sure! We’ll think about the price then.

Q: What platformS will it release on?
PC on Steam.

Q: CONSOLE VERSION?
If we get enough demand following a successful Steam release, we might consider a console version.

Q: Hardware requirements?
We won’t know until later but, we want to keep the required specs as LOW as possible.

Q: Can i play with a controller if I want?
Please do! We’re designing the game controls and interface to be super-awesome with a gamepad and Steam’s Big Picture mode!

Q: Is this game co-op?
Yes!

Q: HOW MANY PLAYERS WILL It SUPPORT?
At least 4.

Q: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE WORKING ON IT?
Just 4 of us. Most PixelJunk games start out this way.

Q: Will everything I see here be in the game?
Unfortunately no. But your favourite things could be! While we continue to develop and share our ideas, many of the concepts obviously won’t make it into the game. If you see something you really want though, make your voice heard in the comments!

Q: What languages will be available?
English and Japanese to start. We plan on supporting as many languages as possible though and are considering ways of translating.

Q: Just how co-op is this game?
Totally co-op.

Q: How many robots are in this game?
Probably like a gajillion.

They must be really disappointed with PSN sales. I heard Closure bombed and Derrick the Deathfin won't make enough to pay off the developer's debts. Must be why a lot of indie devs avoid PSN.

They must be really disappointed with PSN sales. I heard Closure bombed and Derrick the Deathfin won't make enough to pay off the developer's debts. Must be why a lot of indie devs avoid PSN.

If the game is good enough it will get the exposure and sales. Not saying those are bad games, but they certainly weren't very enticing games if you get what I am saying. I buy a lot of games off the PSN and those 2 just weren't that interesting to me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Avoid? They were always more prevalent on PSN.
Seems eShop is taking that market now though.

The fuck? They've released 5 games on PSN. I highly doubt that PSN sales are an issue, but rather a case of Q games wanting to try something different with this one. They don't even have a pricing plan set - which tells me that they're aiming for F2P... something that PSN doesn't do quite well.

Rlan

The correct answer is: the game should be on everything. PC, XBLA, PSN, WiiU, iPhone, Android, Vita, 3DS, whatever.

Cartman86

Banned
If the game is good enough it will get the exposure and sales. Not saying those are bad games, but they certainly weren't very enticing games if you get what I am saying. I buy a lot of games off the PSN and those 2 just weren't that interesting to me.

What fantasy land are you living in? I want to live there.

Would have liked to see another very different and experimental game after PixelJunk 4am, which I found brilliant.
Gameplay aside, this has a similar look to most of the other PJ sidescrolling games.

colinp

Banned
Would have liked to see another very different and experimental game after PixelJunk 4am, which I found brilliant.
Gameplay aside, this has a similar look to most of the other PJ sidescrolling games.

Ummmm, I don't think there are any other PJ side scrolling games.

Ummmm, I don't think there are any other PJ side scrolling games.

Perhaps a few aren't dictionary "side scrollers" but all are on a 2D plane with scrolling, with the exception of Racers, Racers 2nd Lap, Monsters and 4am. My point more was with the similar art style, was expecting something different and experimental again after PJ 4am. Well, gameplay is wholly experimental and different there, too.

Has there been any hints as to why this will, so far, be PC (Steam) only? Ditching PSN, or a side-project testing the waters on another platform?
I know 4am probably wasn't financially successful (I'm the only one to bring it up here), but how experimental and creative it was 'is' indie to me. Without taking risks and just doing the same thing (not saying they are here with the similar presentation as the more popular PJ games), it may as well not be indie anymore.

Anyways, this game sounds interesting, I will check it out on Steam, just hoping it will make it to PSN so that PSN can contain the entire PixelJunk library without it being splintered across platforms.

The fuck? They've released 5 games on PSN. I highly doubt that PSN sales are an issue, but rather a case of Q games wanting to try something different with this one. They don't even have a pricing plan set - which tells me that they're aiming for F2P... something that PSN doesn't do quite well.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think PJ2 did well but 4AM kind of flopped. Seems weird they just completely passed over PSN after 5 games though.

Shooter and sidescroller were pretty bad so it's not a surprise those bombed (if they bombed and that's the reason the abandoned PSN).

Eden is one my favs games ever, I hope this is good.

Shooter and sidescroller were pretty bad so it's not a surprise those bombed (if they bombed and that's the reason the abandoned PSN).

Eden is one my favs games ever, I hope this is good.

Just wondering, are you aware that those weren't the latest PJ games, and the latest was PixelJunk 4am? Just want to get a general idea here how undeservingly unknown that release was.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think PJ2 did well but 4AM kind of flopped. Seems weird they just completely passed over PSN after 5 games though.

I can see several reasons for them doing this.

1. I get the feeling that this is a more experimental game where they´re not completely sure of the direction it will head in, and such games are always a better fit for PC.

2. It´s no suprise that a developer of this size want's to get in to the PC market considering what has been said from other similiar developers about the development freedom and close contact with your customers on PC.

3. And since a port of an old game like Pixeljunk Eden wasn´t a great success for them, an original title seems more appropiate for their second attempt for that.

Just wondering, are you aware that those weren't the latest PJ games, and the latest was PixelJunk 4am? Just want to get a general idea here how undeservingly unknown that release was.

I know, I just lost all interest after the abomination that was shooter. Such a disappointment, starting with the name. They even had a freaking contest, and they choose Shooter. 4am looks nothing more than a dynamic theme or overpriced screen saver.

Haunted

I like this style, just as I liked it in 1-4.

No idea how it plays. Interesting that they're choosing Steam over PSN. Sensible choice, imo.

4am looks nothing more than a dynamic theme or overpriced screen saver.

That's what I hear from people who don't have the full game and/or PS Move(s) a lot. I think it was another case where maybe it was best not to have a demo, especially here. One cannot grasp this game (pun intended) without actually "playing" it. I'll just say minutes turned into hours sitting with this gem.

Unfortunately I think there was a lot of uncalled for spreading of bad word of mouth due to people who didn't understand the "Live Viewer", which wasn't a demo, but a way to get a peek at people playing the full game. I've personally seen others brush it off because they made assumptions of what the product is.
My only gripe with 4am was there was no audio or audio/video recording feature, but that may have been too demanding on the software/hardware, especially for longer recordings.

Well, good luck to Dylan and the Q Games team. Just hope the future isn't no more PSN releases for their products. Again, not sure if 1-6 is a "detour" kind of project or if it's a true departure from the platform.

shink

They can't be ditching PSN altogether, well I hope not anyway

Just give me PJM2 on Vita/PSN then they can do whatever they want.

V_Ben

Banned
Huh, didn't see PC only coming. Hope they're taking advantage of the platform to do some weird and crazy stuff.

They can't be ditching PSN altogether, well I hope not anyway

Just give me PJM2 on Vita/PSN then they can do whatever they want.

Maybe this is it! A side scrolling tower defense game. You control a main character like in monsters which must repel these hordes robots, but the characters actually move like the eden protagonists.

Eden was really something else, I really regret not finishing all the encore stages before my PS3 YLOD'ed. Best non-spiderman spiderman game ever.

Pranay

This no PSN news kinda pisses me off.

Yep even i am pissed off considering its been a good year for psn games and i was looking forward to play more pixel junk games :x.

Kind of wierd seeing no psn esspecially considering Sony has been promoting them a lot this year

Looks neat, glad to be P'C|S3' gamer.

Ill get it on steam if they dont release on psn anyways but maybe during steam sales.

Dragun619

While this is sorta cool, I hope it eventually head to PSN. They also need to work with Sony and Publish a PixelJunk Collection like the Journey Collector's edition. I'm just missing a few PixelJunk games on my PS3.

Top Bottom