• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I get blu-ray movies to run in full screen like HD movies on TV? FXHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Could you elaborate a tad?

And if you're watching a film in scope and are about to complain about the black bars, please don't.

LordCanti

Buy a projector that supports 2.39:1 (or 2.35:1, etc).

Otherwise, zoom in until everything is stretched to hell vertically.

Could you elaborate a tad?

And if you're watching a film in scope and are about to complain about the black bars, please don't.

I have Minority report on Blu-Ray, and when I play it on my player I get the black bars. When I see Minority Report on television, it's in HD quality (or close to) but is full screen without stretching.

Let's get this out of the way.
iPrDBS78YjVST.jpg

I have Minority report on Blu-Ray, and when I play it on my player I get the black bars. When I see Minority Report on television, it's in HD quality (or close to) but is full screen without stretching.
Oh god.

Jimothy

That's because they crop the picture to fit the screen. It fucking sucks. Don't do it.

They are either cropping or zooming so you really aren't seeing the full picture.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You realize the TV channel is zooming in, cutting off part of the picture, to satisfy the rubes who don't like any trace of black bars, right?

Clockwork

Blu-Ray is showing it in its original aspect ratio. The television broadcast is cropped/zoomed to fit the screen.

I'm not sure why you would prefer the latter.

Zoe

On the bright side I've noticed that FX and USA have actually been showing movies in the proper resolution on occasion.

Most films are shot on an aspect ratio narrower than HD TVs, if you didn't have the black bars you'd probably be seeing a cropped image. You don't want that. The black bars are supposed to be there.

1.85:1 films/tv shows will fill up the entire screen. 2.35:1 content (or 2.39:1 in the case of minority report) will have black bars

Should of been first and only response.
I would have, but I tried to be hopeful.

To be more helpful to Ghost_Protocol, you are not going to be able to fill the whole screen and retain clarity unless you are watching it through a computer.

Sophia

Man, stuff like this really bothers me. At least they've stopped selling full screen bullshit. I think.

Yeah, almost all Blu-Rays as far as I can tell are proper aspect ratio. People like the OP are exactly the reason there never should have been a "full-screen" version in the first place.

Just to add confusion, technically the broadcast version of Minority Report might have more information on the screen in a lot of scenes because the film was shot in Super 35.

BUT the original intended ratio is 2.39:1, and thus that is the only acceptable way to watch it.

StuBurns

Banned
Do they even sell the old square TVs anymore? They're all widescreen now that I think about it.
I think he means cropped scope films. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still on bluray, although I don't know of any. I'm still hoping for a scope release of Avatar though.

DonMigs85

What's even worse is movies originally shot in 16:9 and cropped to fit Cinemascope, like Star Wars Episode 2.

I'd much rather see a cropped image than have a tiny image that only fills up half my screen and basically makes my TV half it's size. I hate watching movies on Netflix because it's black bars everywhere.

gatti-man

I'd much rather see a cropped image than have a tiny image that only fills up half my screen and basically makes my TV half it's size. I hate watching movies on Netflix because it's black bars everywhere.

Dat hyperbole. Unless you have a 4:3 tv its hardly bad and zoom if it bothers you so much. However many of us actually like watching material as it was filmed.

BadAss2961

I understand why we have black bars, but I agree with this.

I have an old Sony 4:3 HD CRT and had the opposite problem with overscan.

Had to go into the service menu. Now my cable TV stuff can be full 16:9

I think he means cropped scope films. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still on bluray, although I don't know of any. I'm still hoping for a scope release of Avatar though.

Avatar is an odd beast in that respect. Technically both the 1.78 AND the 2.35 versions are the original theatrical presentation. That is one that technically would lose info on the top and bottom for the 2.35 version, but was shot to be safe in that ratio for non IMAX presentation.

What's even worse is movies originally shot in 16:9 and cropped to fit Cinemascope, like Star Wars Episode 2.

It was shot using a 16:9 camera, but was framed with the intention of being in the Scope aspect ratio. Same thing as shooting a movie for 16:9 but matting the full 35mm frame to get the intended aspect ratio.

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't believe Blu-rays are anamorphic in the same way that DVD's are, so that Vizio TV would require stretching/zooming of some kind in order to get a scope movie to display properly. Which degrades image quality.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Then buy a bigger TV.

I'd rather see the entire image of a show, but to each their own, I guess.

Sophia

It's not really that big of a deal unless you're still using an SDTV or a really small HDTV. 16:9 doesn't make THAT big of black bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom