• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese WiiU - 15 Minutes Presentation in FULL HD

Jetku

Not sure if there was anything new, as I don't understand Japanese, but it was very cool to see the MiiVerse functionality demoed.

I am sure you can turn it off, but Mario will be quite annoying if it asks you to post to MiiVerse after each level, as this video implies...

Effect

I really wonder what is keeping Nintendo of America from putting up their own videos and updating their website. Giving current videos their own section again on the 3DS eShop. They're still there for anyone interested but you have to search for them by typing in Wii U. The system is launching in 9 days!!!

Ein Bear

Is the Launch OT coming soon? There's so many Wii U threads that it's hard to keep on top of all the info, would be nice to be able to read everything we know in one place.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I really wonder what is keeping Nintendo of America from putting up their own videos and updating their website. Giving current videos their own section again on the 3DS eShop. They're still there for anyone interested but you have to search for them by typing in Wii U. The system is launching in 9 days!!!
NoA doesn't give a flying tanooki about us.

Is the Launch OT coming soon? There's so many Wii U threads that it's hard to keep on top of all the info, would be nice to be able to read everything we know in one place.
It launches a week from Sunday, so I'd expect to see the |OT| appear then.

brainpann

Umm, I cant understand Japanese but I do think it is kinda funny that Nintendo is seemingly having to make sure that people understand there is a difference in the Wii and Wii U by having the family view NSMB and NSMBU side by side.

I was right about the Miiverse having the Families Miis show up first on WaraWara Plaza those are the accounts on the system while the others walk in from outside

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Vid confirms that you can use the Wii Remote in WaraWara Plaza. Previously we'd only seen it implied via the hand cursor in a Mii Studio shot.

I wonder how much of the system software you can use the remote in? Wouldn't be surprised if it was all of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU6ahIH41jE

The presenter is Christel Takigawa. This looks like a very rudimentary explanation video. Not much is new, though the footage of the Miiverse interface in sections 5 and 6 is worth seeing.

1. It's in HD! You connect it with an HDMI cable. The graphical quality is much better than on the Wii.
2. GamePad features! Off-screen play.
3. Browse the Internet mid-game! Open the curtain to show what you're seeing on the TV. Play streaming videos and browse for others at the same time. No need to huddle around a laptop. On-screen keyboard, touchscreen interface.
4. Wii U Chat video calls with other Wii U users! Talk to grandma. Wide field of view on the GamePad camera, so the whole family fits in the frame. No additional cost associated with video calls, only the cost of Internet service.
5. Look for game recommendations! Miiverse. WaraWara Plaza is the first thing you see, where other users comment on games they're playing. Click on a game icon to access its Miiverse community board. Text messages, hand-drawn images lined up in a feed. Follow other users. View screenshots. When looking for a game from a certain genre, other users' feedback may be helpful.
6. Empathize with others playing the same game! Write what you feel mid-game and read others' comments, as in NSMBU. Post your message! Several hours later... See lots of text and drawn responses! See a new, deeper perspective on the game your playing through the eyes of other players.
7. Turn your living room into a karaoke room with Wii U! Connect to the Internet and choose from over 90,000 songs, updated monthly. Wii U Mic, 1,890 yen. For offline users: Mic w/ Trial Disc of 10,000 songs usable for a month, 2,940 yen. Enjoy with family or practice singing in private.

It's a Super Wii, encompassing lots of new features not on the original Wii.

y2dvd

How does the tablet knows when you want to play something on the TV vs the tablet screen itself? Is there a switch to tell it where to feed the video?

Idk how her accent sounds to native speakers, but it seems easier for me to understand.

are they not trained to speak like this? I think I heard many Japanese lady presenters have this tone of voice when talking about a product

I do not understand what she is saying but I find it easier to catch each word, they don't seem to melt together - which I had her as the voice in my Language Learning Tapes :)

Celine

The presenter is Christel Takigawa.
__
nmh.jpg

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How does the tablet knows when you want to play something on the TV vs the tablet screen itself? Is there a switch to tell it where to feed the video?
Off screen play isn't a mandatory function. It's up to developers to decide whether they want to implement it in their games. Usually, from what we've seen games enable off screen play through the games on UI on the touch screen.

Christel Takigawa, born in Paris, France

now I have to hear her speak in French :3

I knew I heard that voice before I use to follow FNN streams a lot when she was on

zroid

Banned
good video, yes. nothing much learned, but it's well put-together and enjoyable to see the system used without the ridiculous overacting we constantly get in NoA ads.

ASIS

Two things.

A) I don't know why, but i don't think it's worth mentioning that it's HD, like honestly what isn't?

B) Miiverse has creepy music.

Otherwise good video, the family are excellent actors too, felt completely natural.

Snakeyes

Why can't NoA put something classy like this together? You'd think they'd get a clue with the success of Apple's clean ads over here.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Miiverse music is not as joyful as joyful as it should be. I hope it will evolve like in the 3DS Mii Plaza.

Het_Nkik

I actually really like it. I like the idea of introducing a little Japanese language into the US, and in this case the sound rolls off the tongue very easily.

They said it was called "Wara Wara" because that's, like, the background noise you hear in crowds.

"Walla walla" is already a word voice actors use for the exact same thing. So it's not exactly new to English speakers. I'm actually wondering where the word originates now.

Nintendo of Japan is on a much higher level than Nintendo of America. I wish they just ran the whole company.

Someone who doesn't understand that Nintendo of Japan DOES run Nintendo of America... The problem is they control TOO MUCH not too little. If Reggie was free to persue any marketing strategy he wanted, we'd assuredly be seeing a lot more. This man was a marketing genius over at Pizza hut after all.

KrawlMan

They said it was called "Wara Wara" because that's, like, the background noise you hear in crowds.

"Walla walla" is already a word voice actors use for the exact same thing. So it's not exactly new to English speakers. I'm actually wondering where the word originates now.

According to google translate WaraWara is 笑笑, and 笑 is smile or laugh ( I don't know Japanese, but Chinese uses the same character). When they said the background noise in the crowd was like WaraWara I just assumed they meant it was something like laughter.

However, if the Mii crowds sound like the words "wara wara" the naming still works. Calling something the smiling/laughter plaza is pleasant enough.

Top Bottom