• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS nears 6 million units sold in US; 22 million shipped globally

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
About the same right now, but this is the same timeframe that DSlite came out and 3DS will probably fall behind.

True, although the DS did have 2 holidays under its belt at this point. It will probably fall behind after this holiday season.

So:
September 30 Japan = 7,500,000 (rounding for clarity)
September 30 US = 6,000,000
Total: 13,500,000

So thats:
September 30 Elsewhere: 8.5 million units.

Vast vast majority of that will be PAL land. Reggie really needs to step it up.

NPD LTD in september was 5,666,981
so i think shipped qty in jap should be around 7.8/ 8 mil

Looking at the success of the 3DS and DS it makes you wonder why there wasn't a Nintendogs at launch for the Wii U

If one comes out I'll have no choice but to add a Wii U to the house. Little girls will force me to buy one :(

nintendogs for 3ds is shit. the whole point was to interact with the puppies, not to touch a silhouette and watch a fake hand pet the top screen. such a disappointment.

Petrae

Understanding that just over 4 million sold in 2011 here in the US, that means 3DS needs to average 1MM in November and December just to keep pace with last year-- which was only nine months.

I don't see 3DS repeating last November and December here in the US. The software isn't there this year. Holiday argument isn't quite as effective given weaker software market for the handheld. Paper Mario isn't Super Mario 3D Land nor Mario Kart.

It needs to be quick-paced more than anything; despite some people saying the Pokedex 3D models look ugly (Because stretched, looped sprites look fantastic), they prove it can be done.

The pokedex 3D models are fucking ugly. I wouldn't mind if they went to 3d 'mons instead of sprites, but for the love of god, not those hideous things. Sprites any day of the week if that's the alternative.

Paper Mario isn't Super Mario 3D Land nor Mario Kart.

That's true, but Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 still exist. Not that there has been a price cut or anything but for a parent of a young kid now, they're still there. How many NPD's did either NSMB or MKDS appear in the top 10? I don't recall exactly but it was well past their release years.

The pokedex 3D models are fucking ugly. I wouldn't mind if they went to 3d 'mons instead of sprites, but for the love of god, not those hideous things. Sprites any day of the week if that's the alternative.

I don't see how they're ugly though, they look enough like the characters, and the animations are very smooth and crisp.

That's true, but Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 still exist. Not that there has been a price cut or anything but for a parent of a young kid now, they're still there. How many NPD's did either NSMB or MKDS appear in the top 10? I don't recall exactly but it was well past their release years.

This is sort of the reason we never saw NSMB2 on DS, hell SM64DS was still near full RRP a year back.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do anyone think we will get Blue 3DS XL for FE Bundle? Which I seriously doubt. At least, I hope that they would be kind and release Green 3DS XL for Luigi Mansion 2.

This is sort of the reason we never saw NSMB2 on DS, hell SM64DS was still near full RRP a year back.

Yeah, evergreen being evergreen, and also Nintendo being Nintendo since SM64DS should have dropped in price. Though that's why I don't think Mario and Mario Kart were last year is such a big issue for the 3DS. Would be better with new major games of course, but hopefully the Yen weakens next year and Nintendo can afford to pay attention to the world outside of Japan.

I hate you too.

image.php

Yawnier

Banned
I'm waiting on Animal Crossing to buy mine.

You are not the first person that I've heard say that.

I know quite a few people who don't plan on buying a 3ds until Animal Crossing: New Leaf comes out here in North America, which will not be for at least another next few months I believe.

You are not the first person that I've heard say that.

I know quite a few people who don't plan on buying a 3ds until Animal Crossing: New Leaf comes out here in North America, which will not be for at least another next few months I believe.

How fast their translation is how fast I buy one.

Top Bottom