• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS nears 6 million units sold in US; 22 million shipped globally

Alrus

My ability to speak Japanese is almost non-existent.

The JP lineup is pretty great but very few games have been localized yet (it's even worse in europe), I'd suggest waiting a bit before buying one unless there are already titles you NEED to play now.

Mit-

How is the 3DS library these days compared to it's launch library? Kind of on the fence about picking one up.

Approximately 1 million times better.

Which still isn't nearly as good as the DS library, but it's good.

3DS needs a DSlite boost to keep up with the ds. I doubt it will have one though.

Or a killer app like Mario Kart DS (and to a lesser extent Animal Crossing and Metroid Hunters).

It's hard to envision that world now, seven years later, but they were like "hey everybody, you can play people ONLINE! On a handheld! And the DS could do it all along, we just didn't put out a game for it until now!"

It's funny to think that a lot of people didn't even have Wi-Fi in their house yet and went to McDonalds or wherever to play MK at first.

How is the 3DS library these days compared to it's launch library? Kind of on the fence about picking one up.

Its good but lacks variety. Basically you'll pick up all the games coming out, but most of them are very high quality.

My line up:
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Kid Icarus Uprising (GOTY)
- Super Mario 3D Land (just amazing - thats not hyperbole)
- Resident Evil Revelations (another great great game)
- Mario Kart 7 (a good Mario Kart title, nothing too special - online is alot of fun though)
- NSMB 2 (main attraction here is honestly DLC which is really fun, single player is 'decent'; probably the weakest game in the line up though)
- Layton - Miracle Mask (3D well implemented but not far in it yet.
- Zelda 3D (Its Ocarina of time and is a really good port; some early 3D ghosting issues against blacks/white colours, this isn't a game wide problem as fixes/tricks are implemented in all games since then)

E-Shop:
- Pullblox/Pushmo (Second best game on the system)
- Fallblox/Crashmo (Sequel, fucking hard so far - good stuff)
- Mutant Mudds (really good fun little platformer - looks great)
- Mighty Switch Force (not completed but what I've played has been a big disappointment for me)
- 3D Colors - fun to mess around with.
- Freakyforms (no longer available, ignore the retail box shit - its a decent cheap game)
- PicrossE (nice time waster, nothing special)
- Liberation Maiden (I'd say miss this out)
- VVVVVV (its a great game, can't say much more than that - looks great on the system)

Seriously. Get a 3DS XL if you've got the money and have the money to keep buying the games. Theres a back catalogue now so your sorted for a good while. All these games have a lot of play value.

OS seems better than the Wii U lol. Just needs some friends list updating/Miiverse and its sorted.

I love the system but the sales aren't that great. In the end of the three year mark 3DS will probably trail GBA and DS in regards to sales numbers. Great system IMO its just not lighting a spark here in NA like it is in Japan. Even over there 3DS will start getting beat by DS around the holidays this year.

It's already behind DS in Japan and gap is widening each week.

Hopefully the 3DS and its successor can keep having success even if the wii u underperforms. At this point I value Nintendo handhelds more than consoles and It'd suck for Nintendo to stop making them

Pharros

yes, but this is nothing new for recent Nintendo and especially not handheld Nintendo. they're always underpowered compared to competition. there's really no comparison when it comes to power, the Vita is obviously much better in that regard.

Very true, it's just interesting to go back and look at what the general consensus was. The negativity around the 3ds was quite strong. Turned out to be a pretty strong software driven handheld though.

I've definitely played 3DS more than Vita so far, although the Vita is going to get played a hell of a lot more for the next few weeks as soon as those crazy free PS+ games drop later today.

olimpia84

The difference is night and day. Launch lineup was pretty bad but now the 3DS library has plenty of decent games and a few must haves.

Hopefully the 3DS and its successor can keep having success even if the wii u underperforms. At this point I value Nintendo handhelds more than consoles and I'd suck for Nintendo to stop making them

Very true, it's just interesting to go back and look at what the general consensus was. The negativity around the 3ds was quite strong. Turned out to be a pretty strong software driven handheld though.

Got to agree. DS outperformed the Wii both hardware and software.
I always though touch was better than motion for interactive controls - looks like Nintendo did too :p

If its original Zelda holds up it might be competing with the Gamecube for me software wise :eek:

shaowebb

This thread reminded me I still need to find a copy of Nano Assault. Nanostray 1 & 2 were insanely good and pretty meaty in length for shmups and Assault looked just as great. <3

Hopefully the 3DS and its successor can keep having success even if the wii u underperforms. At this point I value Nintendo handhelds more than consoles and I'd suck for Nintendo to stop making them

The WiiU shouldn't have any effect on the 3DS. Even if the WiiU completely fails, the 3DS has proved it's got a place in the market, and it's profitable to keep making games for it.

Also yeah, Kid Icarus: Uprising, 3D Land and Pushmo, top 3 for sure.

Monster Hunter 4 and pretty much when Game Freak stop messing around.

Well, true, but you really have to consider the source. Asking GAF what Nintendo's future holds, is like asking conservatives what Obama's future holds. You're going to get a pretty bleak outlook.

I've always thought of GAF as pretty pro-Nintendo really. The hype trains Nibel puts us all on are crazy rides. I mostly saw the whole "3DS is PSP" thing from Kotaku, which was typical tabloid stuff.

slit

You were a member here since 2009, there is no way you did not see the 3ds to PSP comparisons. The Vita parade had already been planned when comparing power, effectively calling the 3ds "last gen."

Well, true, but you really have to consider the source. Asking GAF what Nintendo's future holds, is like asking conservatives what Obama's future holds. You're going to get a pretty bleak outlook.

So:
September 30 Japan = 7,500,000 (rounding for clarity)
September 30 US = 6,000,000
Total: 13,500,000

So thats:
September 30 Elsewhere: 8.5 million units.

Vast vast majority of that will be PAL land. Reggie really needs to step it up.

onilink88

Yeah. But as others have said, that's more of a testament to how insanely well the DS did, rather than how poorly the 3DS is doing. That's not to say that it shouldn't be selling better in North America and Europe.

Pharros

That is true, the amount of negativity around the Wii U is astounding. Some of it is very deserving, but the hyperbole often gets way out of hand.

However, that is off topic, so I won't go there.

Hopefully the 3DS and its successor can keep having success even if the wii u underperforms. At this point I value Nintendo handhelds more than consoles and It'd suck for Nintendo to stop making them
Nintendo wouldn't stop making them even if the situation were worse in the US. They still sell a ton in Japan.

It won't happen often but I wouldn't rule it out. How many people expected the DS to do that well afterall?

Some did, it only sold a little more than the GBA on an annual average. Though the GBA would never have been able to survive 7 years (nor should it have, it is the most perfectly designed handheld given the limits handhelds must live under imho). That being said the DS/PSP were the vanguard of smartphones which is gone, so no it's not possible to see another DS again.

Only six million out of 22 are from the US? Goddamn the handheld industry is tanking something fierce here.

DS did really bad in the US in the same time frame, because the GBA lived on. Now the DS is still doing well in the US. Give it a few years, though yes Reggie still needs to step the f*** up in more ways than one.

Messing around? They didn't made all those 3D models just to charge us $15 for a Pokedex app :p

I hope

Oh they're not, in fact they're using them in the 3DS Mystery Dungeon title, I just didn't buy their whole "The DS has a better install base" thing when making Black/White 2. Got to move on at some point, and people would buy a toaster if it played the new Pokemon game.

There will now be a toast Pokemon called Crumbo in Gen VI

Boney

Banned
Great Job NOA!

It's gonna close the gap during the holidays as DS already had the second one launch aligned, but it's gonna widen soon after even if MH4 and DQVIIr are coming out soon.

Taker666

Nintendo really should have pushed for Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Brain Training, Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter in the west this year.

There's no excuse for not getting Fire Emblem and Brain Training out in time for the holiday season as they were released months ago in Japan.

First time in years NoA doesn't do a special edition for the holidays. The Flame Red bundle is just a recycled version of last years', made worse since the game is pre-installed. No XL bundles. I mean it wouldn't save the 3DS in NA but would it hurt to at least try?

Meh. If there dropping sprites it better be well styles and not fucking slow 'show the whole move' animation attacks.

I'm aware Colleseum/XD sucked, but just because it hasn't been done well doesn't mean it can't be done.

What did I ever do to you?

I just don't think the moving sprites are sufficient anymore. Black/White showed they wanted to go into a 3D space.

First time in years NoA doesn't do a special edition for the holidays. The Flame Red bundle is just a recycled version of last years', made worse since the game is pre-installed. No XL bundles. I mean it wouldn't save the 3DS in NA but would it hurt to at least try?

I agree, relying on Paper Mario so much is bad.

Top Bottom