• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers doing a Zelda Timeline Video. (Analysis? Opinion?)

The Lamp

Now that an official timeline exists it'll be neat to see how they visually take us through it.

I love their videos. I was considering making a thread for this but it's not gonna come out for a week.

Nothing will beat when in
Skyward Sword I saw the Temple of Time/Death Mountain formation.
Shit my pants so hard.

Then going back to A Link to the Past and seeing the Sky in the instruction booklet.

It's all going to be in one big video, but this (hopefully) will be the first episode in a new series.

Wow, you weren't kidding. 38 minutes! I'll definitely give this a look once I get the time, I love seeing the little references between the games.

I have to say that the production quality in that video was outstanding.

Next is Kingdom Hearts, hopefully when people watch that one, they'll realize that it's story is not nearly as convoluted as they think it is.

Compared to LoZ, it's pretty straightforward.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Next is Kingdom Hearts, hopefully when people watch that one, they'll realize that it's story is not nearly as convoluted as they think it is.

Please do this.

RkOwnage

That was an AWESOME video. I had been waiting for it for some time and was not disappointed. That being said, I just can't get over the idea of a 3rd timeline. If Ocarina of Time perhaps featured the ending in a different way, maybe accomplishing or not accomplishing certain objectives led to the "Hero's Defeat" scenario, but at no time are you given the thought that Link loses to Ganon, you know, because you defeat him.

That very simple fact ruins the entire 3rd timeline for me, and I just can't shake it. It burns :(

The Lamp

Seriously. It is so much simpler than LoZ, people just over-complicate their approach to it. I can't wait to see their presentation of it.

The Lamp

this game just reminded me that we will soon be at the 10 year anniversary of Wind Waker...holy crap.

it doesn't feel like it's been that long. I still remember buying magazines and reading previews about the game before it would come out.

IronRinn

Definitely going to watch this, but didn't Gametrailers already do a Zelda Retrospective when Twilight Princess came out covering this stuff? I guess the Hyrule Historia changed some of the details.

Definitely going to watch this, but didn't Gametrailers already do a Zelda Retrospective when Twilight Princess came out covering this stuff? I guess the Hyrule Historia changed some of the details.

Hyrule Historia changed a lot, and their original video had some misinformation that wasn't even correct at that the time that they made it.

TheContact

This was a long time coming lol. I remember when they first announced this near the renovation of the website. I can't wait to watch this when I get home, thanks for reminding me.

38 minutes too! woo hoo, can't wait to get home =D

i-Lo

Wow! That was very informative. That said my head hurts and I think I need to re-watch later it because it was too much information to take in.

dmr87

Man, after watching this it reminded me how good Twilight Princess looks, just missing some resolution. I need to replay asap.

Phoenixus

That was fantastic. :D

Kingdom Hearts would be an eye-opener; I'm a dedicated follower of that series and even then some of the connections are unclear.

Pappasman

That was fantastic. Really great presentation overall.

I don't know shit about Kingdom Hearts so I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Awesome video. I haven't checked out Gametrailers too much lately, had no idea they had some really talented people working there.

GCNemesis

Here you go:
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/en597n/timeline-the-legend-of-zelda

I hope everyone enjoys it. I can't wait to hear some feedback.

Echoing everyone thus far, superb production and great visual depiction of the timeline.

Seeing it depicted in this way makes it pretty clear to me that there will probably be a Zelda title, major or not, that follows Four Swords Adventures, which will allow for that storyline to expand (since that lore seems lacking), but also to incorporate the WiiU GamePad for the GBA functionality, etc..

Again, nicely done and I look forward to more.

jett

D-Member
Oh wow that was REALLY impressive, kudos to the team at GT.

Nice to have some conclusion to all the timeline speculation. Seems in the end there really was an internal Zelda timeline at Nintendo. The fallen hero timeline was pretty shocking, but it all works out, somehow.

Lulz at the music at the end, good luck figuring that franchise out. :p

The failed timeline idea is funny because I'm pretty sure it was Nintendo being clever when they realized they wrote themselves into a corner.

OoT probably WAS supposed to be the backstory of LttP, just dramatized in a way that would be more fun to play than "a bunch of knights fight Ganon while old guys chant a spell." When Twilight Princess and Wind Waker ended with Ganondorf dead and no means of revival, they ended up cutting the connection to LttP. So they probably looked back at the LttP's original backstory, and thought, "Wait. This doesn't line up with OoT perfectly, right? There's specifically mention of no hero being able to defeat Ganon at the time. So we could..." and then the idea of the failed timeline was born.

It would have been neat to include some of the other visual and story hints between games other than Link's boat in the GB games (like how in TP: the Skull Kid from MM appears, Ganon is said to have been arrested when his plot was "exposed," as if someone from the future knew about it in advance, and a ghost of a left-handed "hero" appears to guide Link, which Hyrule Historia confirmed to be OoT Link's ghost), but then the video would have probably been an hour long.

Threi

notag

I want to seem them do one on the Chrono timeline

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Yeah, the failed hero timeline was definitely a later-stage invention. You don't make OOT in 1998 and think "now remember guys, all these other Zelda games we've released so far take place after Link dies in this game." OOT was a fleshed-out reimagining of the Imprisoning War, and everything was fine (more or less), until Wind Waker came along and made all non-OOT games basically impossible. Two distinct canons arose right then and there. I wonder if they came up with the failed hero idea along with Wind Waker, or if it wasn't until much more recently that they decided to figure out how to patch that particular hole.

Can't say I'm really a fan of how they managed to explain it, though, since the failed hero timeline isn't actually a "timeline." It wasn't created by time travel or anything, it's literally a "what if" timeline. It's its own canon. They coulda marged the canons without that so easily, though. Instead of Link dying, make it so the LTTP timeline carries on from when Link time traveled back in time for the first time in OOT, for the Spirit Temple stuff. He branches the timeline there, and then we have an adult timeline where Link is gone, didn't beat Ganondorf, and the Imprisoning War can happen as written in Hyrule Historia. Link dying as a what-if just feels so lazy.

I mean it is what it is, they canonized it, but it's clearly an unfortunate patch.

Red UFO

The third timeline is fucking stupid. It's not an alternate branch in a timeline, it's a what-if scenario.

EDIT: explained perfectly above

That was enjoyable though it repeated itself quite a bit as if people wouldn't be able to grasp certain elements.
I still feel Nintendo screwed up a bit with Spirit Tracks in the sense that they could have created something a bit different and more interesting than New Hyrule with the rich history of magical trains and old sages in locomotive wheelchairs but oh well.

Taruranto

Hyrule Historia, Kingdom Hearts... are they doing a collection of fan fiction-quality timelines?

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, the failed hero timeline was definitely a later-stage invention. You don't make OOT in 1998 and think "now remember guys, all these other Zelda games we've released so far take place after Link dies in this game." OOT was a fleshed-out reimagining of the Imprisoning War, and everything was fine (more or less), until Wind Waker came along and made all non-OOT games basically impossible. Two distinct canons arose right then and there. I wonder if they came up with the failed hero idea along with Wind Waker, or if it wasn't until much more recently that they decided to figure out how to patch that particular hole.

Can't say I'm really a fan of how they managed to explain it, though, since the failed hero timeline isn't actually a "timeline." It wasn't created by time travel or anything, it's literally a "what if" timeline. It's its own canon. They coulda marged the canons without that so easily, though. Instead of Link dying, make it so the LTTP timeline carries on from when Link time traveled back in time for the first time in OOT, for the Spirit Temple stuff. He branches the timeline there, and then we have an adult timeline where Link is gone, didn't beat Ganondorf, and the Imprisoning War can happen as written in Hyrule Historia. Link dying as a what-if just feels so lazy.

I mean it is what it is, they canonized it, but it's clearly an unfortunate patch.

I remember people speculating this when the triple fork was first revealed (but not translated). Makes more sense than the what-if, imo. Puts a lot of potential weight on the HoT's shoulders if in every instance he goes back in time to do things as a kid he creates an imprisoning war timeline.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Its 2 games.

Not much to figure out.

I don't know, I was never quite clear about how Chrono Cross's timeline worked.

Something about a Time Crash, and like, a place where time was frozen and some kind of experiments... what?

Top Bottom