• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wii Mini review and teardown.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review

Mock / lock if old.

600x-1

We held out hope that we could get access to the internet using Nintendo's own USB-based Ethernet adaptor (a single USB port remains on the new hardware) but astonishingly this does not work at all, meaning that the platform holder hasn't just removed the WiFi hardware, but has also deliberately nerfed any kind of internet access. To confirm that, we also found that all the internet configuration options on the front-end have been completely removed.

Remarkably, the unwarranted cutbacks don't end there. Going back to the GameCube era, Nintendo hardware has supported analogue component output with a 480p progressive scan option. For reasons best known to itself, the platform holder hasn't just removed the 480p functionality but has totally removed any kind of support for the component cable itself. Standard RCA AV inputs are - thankfully - fast becoming a relic of the last decade, if not the last century, but in the here and now, that murky composite picture is the best you're going to get from the Wii Mini.

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that the Wii Mini disappoints on almost every level. It's not a good-looking piece of kit at all, functionality has been stripped down to the absolute bare-bones, and perhaps worst of all for a product actively being marketed on its dinky form-factor is the fact that it's not actually that much smaller than the original model. What we have left is a console designed for young children, marketed at a price low enough to qualify it as a toy.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Wow. How can you fuck up a console redesign so much? Removed everything internet? No component? 100$ for this thing?
The fuck?

Seik

Banned
Remarkably, the unwarranted cutbacks don't end there. Going back to the GameCube era, Nintendo hardware has supported analogue component output with a 480p progressive scan option. For reasons best known to itself, the platform holder hasn't just removed the 480p functionality but has totally removed any kind of support for the component cable itself. Standard RCA AV inputs are - thankfully - fast becoming a relic of the last decade, if not the last century, but in the here and now, that murky composite picture is the best you're going to get from the Wii Mini.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

I wonder why they would bring it exclusively to Canada of all places though. It would make more sense for countries where systems are expensive.

Pooya

holy shit, didn't expect this to be that bad.

why do you need the USB port now anyway? remove that one too...

Unfortunately, behind the attractive price-point we find a hardware proposition that reeks of the kind of spite and mean-spiritedness that Ebeneezer Scrooge would be proud of.

wow lmao

Eusis

Does anyone know if it supports S-Video at the least? If not that'd make this yet more absurd, at least S-Video would make the video output look OK.

I actually wonder if this is why it's Canada exclusive: they were trying to make it cheaper, but in the end had to cut too much so they'd just havea trial run to see if it caught on there. That, or with the Wii U seemingly better at defending itself from hacking and giving a way to play Wii games online and get Wii Shop stuff without the original Wii they're taking a scorched Earth approach to dealing with homebrew and piracy on the Wii. But then why component cables too?

I was totally going to buy one of these but no component is sort of a dealbreaker. I guess I'll wait until I have a better CRT/retro setup?

lol Nintendo

I remember getting one of the Platinum Gamecubes when they came out, took it home to find they had removed the 480p component output. Can't believe they are still pulling that bullshit in almost-2013.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd love to know exactly how many cents per unit removing component would save. :p

lol Nintendo

I remember getting one of the Platinum Gamecubes when they came out, took it home to find they had removed the 480p component output. Can't believe they are still pulling that bullshit in almost-2013.

Some of the platinum cubes did have the 480p output. It was just later Cubes in general that lost it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know if it supports S-Video at the least? If not that'd make this yet more absurd, at least S-Video would make the video output look OK.

I actually wonder if this is why it's Canada exclusive: they were trying to make it cheaper, but in the end had to cut too much so they'd just havea trial run to see if it caught on there. That, or with the Wii U seemingly better at defending itself from hacking and giving a way to play Wii games online and get Wii Shop stuff without the original Wii they're taking a scorched Earth approach to dealing with homebrew and piracy on the Wii. But then why component cables too?

Isn't s-video similar to component but with the two colour signals merged (and 480i only)? If so then I guess that wouldn't be supported either. Looks like composite out only

Eusis

They pulled component support from the PAL GameCube too.

Pinch those pennies, Nintendo!
I think they pulled that from all units before too long. Of course in that case it was using a proprietary output and proprietary cables, back when most people didn't have EDTVs, HDTVs, and probably not even TVs with component output until they were replacing them part way through the generation, and if you have an SDTV with component you're about as well served with S-Video anyway. Here, it's like the bullshit with the SNES losing S-Video output in the US, except here the difference is WAY FUCKING BIGGER, making it ludicrous.

Isn't s-video similar to component but with the two colour signals merged (and 480i only)? If so then I guess that wouldn't be supported either. Looks like composite out only
Guess that depends on what pins are being used, but it does seem probable it'd only support composite, period. And that's not as acceptable as on the SNES (only REALLY became a big deal with HDTVs, and that probably wouldn't have mattered either if they had better upscaling).

Zornica

Banned
I was totally going to buy one of these but no component is sort of a dealbreaker. I guess I'll wait until I have a better CRT/retro setup?

why not just buy a normal version?

the mini sounds more like it is targeted towards niche markets in developing countries. But I wouldn't consider canada as one of them
edit: always funny when things like this get released to see everyone complaining about something thats obviously not targeted towards them.

BocoDragon

Well history repeats itself.

No composite on the NES redesign.

No S-video on the AV Famicom (which wasn't too surprising but it did use the same SNES/N64/Cube port which normally supported it).

No S-video on the SNES redesign.

No component on the Cube redesign.

Obviously there is some sort of recurring idea within Nintendo that this is a good idea... but I just can't even imagine that the cost savings is significant at all.

Buwhahahaha!

This honestly makes sense for Nintendo. They've never shied away from the idea that videogames are toys.

If this would have launched at $80 it'd be a novel little Christmas toy for your four year old. No worrying about people on the net, just the little one playing vidyagaems.

I've tried to warn though. Nintendo as a multimedia company has never made sense. They are a completely psychotic videogame manufacturer. Software and hardware. Stuck on the pretense (grounded methinks) that videogames are toys first and foremost.

This makes sense for a toy manufacturer seeing significant retraction of their core markets. That model of Wii probably has a much larger profit margin than the main systems.

Still crazy. But I can see why they gimp.

Jeez, it's almost like they made it to compete with the Atari Flashback 4, rather than current current generation hardware. They figure kids will grab whatever Wii software Grandma has moldering in the closet and give it a spin.

BocoDragon

I think they pulled that from all units before too long. Of course in that case it was using a proprietary output and proprietary cables, back when most people didn't have EDTVs, HDTVs, and probably not even TVs with component output until they were replacing them part way through the generation, and if you have an SDTV with component you're about as well served with S-Video anyway. Here, it's like the bullshit with the SNES losing S-Video output in the US, except here the difference is WAY FUCKING BIGGER, making it ludicrous.

I believe it was actually different for PAL, though (beyond how the NTSC Cubes lost their digital AV ports). I think their releases actually didn't have the progressive scan 480p support on the discs! :p

Damn, wonder what kind of data they have about Canada that would support the sale of such a stripped down console?

It's a big "fuck you" from Iwata in retaliation for bagged milk.

NinjaBoiX

Nintendo, ludicrously pinching penny's again.

No wifi - meh, kind of sucks but whatevs.

No GC support - yeah, that really sucks.

No component support - yeah, fuck off ninty, you are actually taking the piss now.

They are at the stupid levels of cost cutting, where all rhyme or reason has gone out the window. It's madness. The wii u is the same, they are so focused on "cost per unit" numbers, that they have lost sight of the fact that they should be serving up a tempting console, not a sorely compromised aging piece of tech.

Sorry ninty, I might get a 3DS at some point, but I don't think you'll ever get me to buy another home console.

Alcibiades

This is basically for three audiences:

1) Wii families that want to be able to have an extra system in the kids room or to take on trips.

2) Extremely budget-oriented parents looking for a way to get kids a "bare-minimum" game system.

3) Consumers looking for a system for that "one game" like Wii Sports or Just Dance.

Nintendo doesn't care about fans looking to "upgrade" (that is what Wii U is for) or hardcore gamers (who probably own a Wii already). Everyone who wants to play the Nintendo franchises and Wii exclusives probably already has one.

BocoDragon

Buwhahahaha!

This honestly makes sense for Nintendo. They've never shied away from the idea that videogames are toys.

If this would have launched at $80 it'd be a novel little Christmas toy for your four year old. No worrying about people on the net, just the little one playing vidyagaems.

I've tried to warn though. Nintendo as a multimedia company has never made sense. They are a completely psychotic videogame manufacturer. Software and hardware. Stuck on the pretense (grounded methinks) that videogames are toys first and foremost.

This makes sense for a toy manufacturer seeing significant retraction of their core markets. That model of Wii probably has a much larger profit margin than the main systems.

Still crazy. But I can see why they gimp.

In this case you are right.

But I think Nintendo views games as toys because their operation is significantly smaller than the likes of Microsoft/Sony. It's what they can handle. It's what has made them money for a century and more.

I don't think it's generally a bad thing that one of the players in the market approaches gaming like a toy. It produces very original results.

But yeah, in this case, it's just dumb. You are correct.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. I mean it was looking pretty damn bad and overpriced by about $40 from the onset, but now I'm going to have to revise that and say it's looking about $60 too expensive.

Removing Internet functionality entirely, WTF.

They may as well remove storage for saving games.

BocoDragon

I still kind of want one. It's basically a Galaxy 2 adapter at this point.

Not with no component...... I wouldn't play Galaxy 2 on this thing. The graphics are good enough that 480p is a must.

IMO, it's basically a future Nintendo collectible at this point.

Nibel

Lack of internet isn't that bad for a console that doesn't know what to do with it, but the other stuff is really.. wow.

That's messed up, seriously

Doesn't it seem that Nintendo is just trying to get rid of components that they bought earlier for the original Wii and just looking to make a quick buck off them from "non-gamers" and kids?

So all this missing tech doesn't really matter to them since they're looking to make their bottom line look better after their original investment in a ton of original Wii's, and not to appease Wii-holdouts who've waited this long to get one or for those who already have one and just want a "collectors" version.

BocoDragon

Doesn't it seem that Nintendo is just trying to get rid of components that they bought earlier for the original Wii and just looking to make a quick buck off them from "non-gamers" and kids?

So all this missing tech doesn't really matter to them since they're looking to make their bottom line look better after their original investment in a ton of original Wii's, and not to appease Wii-holdouts who've waited this long to get one or for those who already have one and just want a "collectors" version.

You may be right about that... if the excess components are things like the CPU, etc.

Because the casing, disc drive etc are obviously different.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What we have left is a console designed for young children, marketed at a price low enough to qualify it as a toy.
So, why all the disappointment when that's exactly what they wanted to do/offer? It's not like they're killing production for regular ol Wii. That's still there for anyone interested (heck, that's all there is for most countries). This is an option for a specific audience.

I mean, if it was going to have every Wii feature that matters it wouldn't exactly have a reason to cost less to begin with.

If you still don't have a Wii but want one search for some retailer based discount offer, buy used, or wait for a price drop.

Thoraxes

So, why all the disappointment when that's exactly what they wanted to do/offer? It's not like they're killing production for regular ol Wii. That's still there for anyone interested. This is another option for a specific audience.

Because people here think it's an alternative that they'd be interested when it was developed to be quite the opposite.

mr_toa

Unfortunately, behind the attractive price-point we find a hardware proposition that reeks of the kind of spite and mean-spiritedness that Ebeneezer Scrooge would be proud of. This is a savagely compromised version of the original hardware that we can only recommend to the least discerning of gamers.

Mr. Leadbetter is not amused :)

BocoDragon

Because people here think it's an alternative that they'd be interested when it was developed to be quite the opposite.

Well then they are fools. From day one with Wii mini, we knew it was for the super-casual masses (or maybe the occasional nerdy collector.)

Alcibiades

Wow. I mean it was looking pretty damn bad and overpriced by about $40 from the onset, but now I'm going to have to revise that and say it's looking about $60 too expensive.

So basically you think Nintendo should sell $40 Wiimotes and $20 Nunchucks alongside a $40 Wiimote + Nunchuck + Wii package? LOL

Not sure what all the hoopla is all about in this thread. If someone wants a Wii, they've got $130 packages that have all the bells and whistles (minus GCN support). And for $80 or so you can probably find one in excellent used condition.

Ah, I've figured it out!

See, this is a version of the console intended for young children, right? But imagine what might happen if little Billy or Jenny's parents bought a Mario game to go along with it, which happened to be not New Super Mario Bros, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? Their parents plug it in with component cables to their HDTV, put the game in, and suddenly our miniature gamers are whisked away on an unbelievable journey through beautiful fantasy landscapes full of rich, vivid color, the likes of which their eyes have never seen before.

But oh, the crushing reality as they return. Will their other Wii titles look as good? Even most of the games on other consoles at their friend's houses? Of course not. And at all too young an age they become bitter and jaded with the world. They become... PC gamers.

But by barring component cables, you stop the Galaxies from looking too good. Billy and Jenny's expectations will be tempered, and the rest of the Wii's library may not seem quite so disappointing in comparison.

Nintendo did it to save the children.

Top Bottom