• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wii Mini review and teardown.

Pociask

Huh. Looking at Blu-Ray players for a friend, saw this randomly on a review of a Toshiba.

I was critical about the lack of connections in the back. Though I still feel Toshiba should have included composite jacks in the back, I understand why they did not include component jacks. Blame the AACS organization (google it for more info)and its consortium (of which Toshiba is member) for enforcing what is called the analog sunset rule. All new blu ray players sold today, not just Toshiba, must limit the video output from component cables to Standard Definition 480i (not even progressive scan!). Therefore, the only way to obtain High Defintion video 720p and higher is through the HDMI with its copy protection scheme HDCP. Oh well...

Anyone know what this is about? Is this why the Mini removed component?

Huh. Looking at Blu-Ray players for a friend, saw this randomly on a review of a Toshiba.

Anyone know what this is about? Is this why the Mini removed component?

No, that's specifically a Blu-Ray thing. Blu-Ray players aren't allowed to output HD video through analogue connections, to try and keep people from bypassing copy protection to record Blu-Ray movies by just capturing the video.

Top Bottom