• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wii Mini review and teardown.

zigg

I don't get you people. There cannot seriously be a quantifiable market at this point who would even care or know about the features you're complaining about being removed, with the possible exception of Netflix access (though really, that comes in so many other things now... I can't imagine it'll be missed much, and the device is vastly simpler for not having it.) Have you ever taken a look at how people other than you use their Wiis?

I still think you guys are crazy for thinking it even looks good.
Agreed. Every time I see it I'm revolted.

tkscz

Whats the point of this thing? Why would you release a redesign and a new console at once? A horrible resign at that.

Orayn

I still love the way the Wii Mini looks would shell out for a proper version with WiFi, USB, and component support in a heartbeat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, even component video support was removed?

It's right in line with (which had s-video support removed by default, among other things)...

snes-2-640x2861.jpg

Of course, they also removed component support from Gamecube...but that system actually required a different port so it almost made more sense.

This is, perhaps, the most significant drop in value we've yet seen from Nintendo.

Everytime I see this thing I think of dreamcast.
Seriously? Come on, man, the DC was beautiful back in the day...

Parent: Im looking for the new Wii
Best buy: we have this one for 350 and this one for 99
Parent: does the 99 one play Mario and pokemans?
Best buy : yes
Parent: I'll take it

Somnid

Complaining a budget system was made on a budget? You could see the component cable removal a mile away. Look if this surprises or angers you you may want to re-evaluate not just your expectations but seriously reconsider whether you know what's going on here. Also specifically take care to see that you have enough information to even form an opinion.

jett

D-Member
Wow, even component video support was removed?

It's right in line with (which had s-video support removed by default, among other things)...

Of course, they also removed component support from Gamecube...but that system actually required a different port so it almost made more sense.

This is, perhaps, the most significant drop in value we've yet seen from Nintendo.

Seriously? Come on, man, the DC was beautiful back in the day...

Yeah the Dreamcast has great lines

From the side it almost has the silhouette of a sports car.

Looking at it again, it's the last beautiful game console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Complaining a budget system was made on a budget? You could see the component cable removal a mile away. Look if this surprises or angers you you may want to re-evaluate not just your expectations but seriously reconsider whether you know what's going on here. Also specifically take care to see that you have enough information to even form an opinion.
Man, the wifi thing, I get it. The Gamecube removal? Definitely makes sense.

Component video, though? They can't possibly be saving much on its removal. Look at the SNES Jr; although quite old, s-video support was removed. Did they save money by doing this? Nope. You could very easily "mod" the feature back into the system and enable s-video and RGB support. They didn't save money on silicon with that move. Who's to say that hasn't happened here? The Gamecube had a separate port for component so it made sense there...but not the Wii.

I do think they missed out on hitting the Roku/AppleTV market with this thing, though. Would have been a good Netflix box that plays games for some folks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't understand the removal of component at all. Makes absolutely no sense.

CREMSteve

Ah, I've figured it out!

See, this is a version of the console intended for young children, right? But imagine what might happen if little Billy or Jenny's parents bought a Mario game to go along with it, which happened to be not New Super Mario Bros, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? Their parents plug it in with component cables to their HDTV, put the game in, and suddenly our miniature gamers are whisked away on an unbelievable journey through beautiful fantasy landscapes full of rich, vivid color, the likes of which their eyes have never seen before.

But oh, the crushing reality as they return. Will their other Wii titles look as good? Even most of the games on other consoles at their friend's houses? Of course not. And at all too young an age they become bitter and jaded with the world. They become... PC gamers.

But by barring component cables, you stop the Galaxies from looking too good. Billy and Jenny's expectations will be tempered, and the rest of the Wii's library may not seem quite so disappointing in comparison.

Nintendo did it to save the children.

I bought Mario Galaxy and the Wii Mini for my kids for Christmas, lol. They are 4 and 6 though, they couldn't give two shits about resolution, and I don't want them on anything that has access to the internet, so this works perfectly for what I wanted.

I'm also trying to find the Dora the Explorer game, but I have had no luck so far. :(

JaseMath

The overhead on this thing is probably HUGE. If it sells, Nintendo is going to being making a shit ton of profit on every unit.

shira

The overhead on this thing is probably HUGE. If it sells, Nintendo is going to being making a shit ton of profit on every unit.
I'm not sure who is buying.

The Candians who can afford $99, but not $129
Have no internet or HD tv.

No desire to play better games.

Alcibiades

all things considered, $100 is too much for this thing. should be $70-80.

No one has yet explained how this would make any sense.

At Best Buy Canada, they are selling Wiimotes for $45 and Nunchucks for $25. That is $70 right there. Why would Nintendo all of a sudden throw in a free Wii unit with every Wiimote+Nunchuck purchase all of a sudden?

I think Nintendo accessories are overpriced, but until those come down I don't see Nintendo putting themselves in a position to give away free Wiis with accessory purchases, which is what a $70 price point would do.

Didn't know the older models had been removed from shelves - that does change the equation. In the U.S. they only have bundle versions, no barebones. $130 for Wii Sports or Just Dance so there is no $99 version here and there never was.

I'm surprised Canada had such a low-priced model to begin with. Wiimotes seem to be $45 and Nunchucks $25 - making a spare Wii system (regular or newly gimped) just $30 more. The price disparity between a Wiimote + Nunchuck and Wii systems in the U.S. is way more than 30 bucks.

My local Walmart has white Wii's with no game for $109.99. :)

Hmm, I wonder if Nintendo still distributes those in the U.S. My guess is that it is old stock of some sort. If I saw one in person and it had GCN compatibility I'd be tempted to pick one up.

Gamecube compatibility is long gone, and isn't coming back. I assume this red Wii has been waiting in wings for some time. Nintendo just needs to work through their current glut of hardware..

Alcibiades

Oh god.
Composite video only?
What the hell...

For a second I read that as "oh god. composite-only hell" LOL

Gamecube compatibility is long gone, and isn't coming back. I assume this red Wii has been waiting in wings for some time. Nintendo just needs to work through their current glut of hardware.
Yeah I just think it is curious to see a non-bundled Wii since I haven't seen one in ages. We'll see about the red Wii though. Looks like there is plenty of regular black and white Wii stock left on shelves at the moment.

OmegaFax

This could be an entirely wrong presumption. The only reason I can think for making this is from a logistical and manufacturing perspective.

The reason for this console revision might be because Nintendo is shifting their component sourcing and assembly to such an extent that making a limited run of Wii Mini consoles would offset the cost of doing so.

Does the piece mention if it has the Wii Channels menu at all? Would be pretty neat if it just bypassed it entirely and just turned straight to the game like systems used to.

What we have left is a console designed for young children, marketed at a price low enough to qualify it as a toy.

Here's where the review (or whatever) gets a little eyebrow-raising. Certainly an electronics publication can review any piece of kit they like, and even give it a poor review based on the needs of its target audience.... but there's a tone of indignance that strikes me a little childish, as if they shouldn't be marketing consoles to children as toys.

My Bank will have a draw tomorrow to earn a ticket to buy a Wii mini and Mario Galaxy both for $60.

aMLz8.png

Will enter and If I buy it I will use just the Red controller, the console will be left alone in a corner.

Ranger X

Wow, no component output. Ok...
I'm seriously wondering what the fuck is going on there. This is like the worse console redesign in the history of gaming.

hachi

Banned
It is true that your average consumer doesn't know anything about the component option to begin with. I've seen quite a few Wii's hooked up to living rooms of my "casual"-oriented family and friends, and don't think I've yet seen a single one outside of my own that opts for anything about the default cables, even on fancy TV sets. And no one seems to care even if I point it out, oddly enough.

Parent: Im looking for the new Wii
Best buy: we have this one for 350 and this one for 99
Parent: does the 99 one play Mario and pokemans?
Best buy : yes
Parent: I'll take it

"I need a Nintendo for my child. You got Nintendo for my baby?"

"Yes, Ma'am, we have the Wii U at $300 and the Wii mini at $99. The Wii U is a successor to the-"

"Hold up there. You got Nintendo for 99 dollars?"

"Well yes, but you should know that--"

"Does it got Mario and Tennis?"

"Mario Tennis? Well sure, there's a..."

"I SAID...DOES IT GOT...MARIO and the TENNIS? You know, with the swinging and the baseball."

"You'll have to buy that separately."

"Get me Mario and the Tennis and the Nintendo for 99 dollars."

....Never underestimate the ignorance of the average consumer.

Sora_N

The Wii Minis are actually not sealed with tape, so at work I just opened it up and looked at it. It feels cheap as hell honestly.

This is seriously one of the worst things I've ever seen. This monstrosity better not spread anywhere else and better not fucking replace anything available on the market. This is not a deal for anyone as the extra 20 bucks it would cost to find a wii easily outweigh this piece of shit. A 50 used wii is better than this.I remember when Nintendo sold the Gamecube with multiple games for 99 bucks and now this shit.

why do you need the USB port now anyway? remove that one too...
Because one of the most popular casual genres on the Wii are Karaoke games with USB mics.

480i only? Man this gets worse and worse.
Not only 480i only, but no component 480i (which is the best quality SD video cable). Which is crazy - if I can't get 480p, at least let me get the best sharpness/color that old TV's could get.

Top Bottom