• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wii Mini review and teardown.

Cheerilee

Damn, wonder what kind of data they have about Canada that would support the sale of such a stripped down console?

It's a test market.

I'm not sure why they wanted to test this in America's Hat instead of some other area of America, like the Nintendo World Store in New York or something, but they seemingly wanted to test it in something like America, but smaller than America, and not America. Perhaps it had something to do with retail connections, like... to see if they could push something silly through, and wondering how much would retail partners resist them if they did?

Dystify

I think they made it clear enough, this is just a toy for the mass market. We're clearly not who they're trying to sell it to. $99 to play Wii games with something like this seems fine. If you want internet and all the other stuff just get a normal Wii?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So basically you think Nintendo should sell $40 Wiimotes and $20 Nunchucks alongside a $40 Wiimote + Nunchuck + Wii package? LOL

Not sure what all the hoopla is all about in this thread. If someone wants a Wii, they've got $130 packages that have all the bells and whistles (minus GCN support). And for $80 or so you can probably find one in excellent used condition.

Agreed. If you're in this thread, you know better to buy this, and you probably know how to find an OG model with GCN support. With 100 million units out there (95%+ of which play Cube) this will never be a rare console. They'll be a thrift store staple for decades to come.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nobody has GameCube shit around anymore that doesn't have a Wii already. The kids aren't gonna use the terminally slow and under-utilized WiFi to buy stuff off eShop with the credit cards they don't have. They're not gonna give a bunch of shits about how it looks on the thing they play their DVD copies of the Disney movies they got outta the Blu-ray packs. The Wii mini is a cheap, impossible to damage bright red brick that can play ten dollar software from any toy store. It's beautiful, it's simple, it requires no setup or explanation or updates or installations or downloads. Put the disc in and hit start.

It's not for you.

In this case you are right.

But I think Nintendo views games as toys because their operation is significantly smaller than the likes of Microsoft/Sony. It's what they can handle. It's what has made them money for a century and more.

I don't think it's generally a bad thing that one of the players in the market approaches gaming like a toy. It produces very original results.

But yeah, in this case, it's just dumb. You are correct.
I'm not even really saying it's dumb. It's not like this model is taking their full brunt of manufacturing capacity.

It's just weird and novel. Kind of crazy.

I actually kind of like Nintendo's development rationale. "Market is generally too small to waste tens of millions on a single title." The largest videogame publisher in the world artificially caps their development budgets. Does that not say something?

It could just be "Nintendo am cray." Or given the significant shuttering of doors in this past generation there might be some merit to it. Not every game is going to be a CoD or NSMB.

Something that's going to find a significant userbase every year. Hell even CoD and NSMB have trouble being CoD and NSMB.

It's crazy, but I can't write it off.

I've kind of gotten sidetracked. My point is... I'm willing to give Nintendo lots of chances. They make what seem like crazy moves, but so far all of those crazy moves have kept them afloat.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and go "Wow." is all.

What the heck? No component support? And it's not that much smaller than the regular model? (Price isn't much to write home about either, considering that IIRC you could snag a regular Wii for $89 on Black Friday)

Really, the only use case I can see for this model (compared to the regular model) is on a trip, using a vehicle's built-in screen or the screen on one of those portable DVD players. And that's a incredibly narrow street of usefulness, as you'd still need to figure out something for the motions and sensor bar.

BocoDragon

Nobody has GameCube shit around anymore that doesn't have a Wii already. The kids aren't gonna use the terminally slow and under-utilized WiFi to buy stuff off eShop with the credit cards they don't have. They're not gonna give a bunch of shits about how it looks on the thing they play their DVD copies of the Disney movies they got outta the Blu-ray packs. The Wii mini is a cheap, impossible to damage bright red brick that can play ten dollar software from any toy store. It's beautiful, it's simple, it requires no setup or explanation or updates or installations or downloads. Put the disc in and hit start.

It's not for you.

Agreed but actually Wii has never played DVDs ;)

Jackano

I agree on the test market strategy + Maybe some kind of NA deal with the store who sold it. Can't remember the name of the store out of my head right now, but is it possible that somehow this exclusivity have been negociated along some Wii U plan favorable to Nintendo in all NA?

cloudyy

Ah, I've figured it out!

See, this is a version of the console intended for young children, right? But imagine what might happen if little Billy or Jenny's parents bought a Mario game to go along with it, which happened to be not New Super Mario Bros, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? Their parents plug it in with component cables to their HDTV, put the game in, and suddenly our miniature gamers are whisked away on an unbelievable journey through beautiful fantasy landscapes full of rich, vivid color, the likes of which their eyes have never seen before.

But oh, the crushing reality as they return. Will their other Wii titles look as good? Even most of the games on other consoles at their friend's houses? Of course not. And at all too young an age they become bitter and jaded with the world. They become... PC gamers.

But by barring component cables, you stop the Galaxies from looking too good. Billy and Jenny's expectations will be tempered, and the rest of the Wii's library may not seem quite so disappointing in comparison.

Nintendo did it to save the children.
Would have happend even if it had 480p support. You still need a component cable, doesn't come with the regular wii either and some cables are expensive unless you buy chinese knock offs.

malfcn

I don't understand the Wii hardware decisions.

Having a Wii mini that strips everything, and has a price point that isn't that great compared to non-neutered revisions.
Offering the WiiU with a choice between a basic and deluxe package. The deluxe is a no-brainer.

That sounds like a lot of wasted production costs. Unless they figure the margin on the mini and basic wiiu some how justify it. People have to actually buy the shit though.

Threi

notag
I think they made it clear enough, this is just a toy for the mass market. We're clearly not who they're trying to sell it to. $99 to play Wii games with something like this seems fine. If you want internet and all the other stuff just get a normal Wii?
That or that other console they just released

forget what it was called though

why not just buy a normal version?

the mini sounds more like it is targeted towards niche markets in developing countries. But I wouldn't consider canada as one of them
edit: always funny when things like this get released to see everyone complaining about something thats obviously not targeted towards them.

I was going to get a Mini because it's cheaper but now I don't want to/will get a different product instead. What's so hard to understand?

I like the Mini's design, at least the color scheme.

Alcibiades

It's not for you.

Yeah, Nintendo has treated Wii as some sort of "entertainment hub" for the past 6 years and now they are putting out a "toy" version of the product. This is aimed at the consumers that would buy Atari and Midway plug-and-play joystick collections at Toys 'R Us and counterfeit Nintendo all-in-ones at shopping malls. This is about getting it as basic as you can.

Drensch

It's like no one gets that this is designed for developing markets like China and India. Canada is probably just a test bed.

Haunted

What we have left is a console designed for young children, marketed at a price low enough to qualify it as a toy.
C1d0a.gif

TheD

The Detective
I can understand everything bar the removal of internet support.

Why would you go out of your way to remove the software for that?
It does not take any hardware to support it so why remove it?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I can understand everything bar the removal of internet support.

Why would you go out of your way to remove the software for that?
It does not take any hardware to support it so why remove it?

Because things that have less options are more simple.

The question I have is: how will games with online support handle it? Is there something in the software that'll just gray out online options or something, or will people just be shown error messages?

BocoDragon

The question I have is: how will games with online support handle it? Is there something in the software that'll just gray out online options or something, or will people just be shown error messages?

Don't give them any credit. It will surely be the same as a Wii that isn't connected to a wifi network.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

"Could not establish connection to the Internet. Error code: whatwhatwhat"

legend166

These threads are like people complaining that they bought some cheap Suzuki and it didn't have leather seats, wood panels on the interior and automatic seats.

I mean, the conclusion to the piece outlines exactly what this piece of hardware is, and who it's aimed at.

I still think you guys are crazy for thinking it even looks good.

it really looks like a cheap plastic Mattel toy so sadly it doesn't surprise me that man-child-GAF is enjoying the design... I cannot shake my head faster though, otherwise I will have an embolia.

stalker

Nintendo removing features from hardware revisions is a staple of the industry, though personally I usually don't care much for those omissions. But this one about removing support for the component cable and progressive is just mindblowing, how much can the possibly save with this?

What we have left is a console designed for young children, marketed at a price low enough to qualify it as a toy.

Yeah. And we already knew as much from the cut features mentioned in the press release. Which begs the question why Digital Foundry / Eurogamer were stupid enough to import one

Amir0x

Banned
man just sell it for like $50 or something :/

radiohead83 said:
Which begs the question why Digital Foundry / Eurogamer were stupid enough to import one

Because it's a game website whose job presumably is to inform any segment of the market that might potentially buy a game related product? am I reading you wrong here?

And that folks, is why it's an alternative, not a replacement.

I'm not so sure about that. The older $99.00 model without GameCube controller support was removed from all store shelves in Canada in favor for this model. The original Wii model still exists, but it is only available as the black NSMB Wii bundle which costs $150.00 at retail. If you live in Canada and still want an original Wii without the NSMB pack in, your only bets are to check Ebay, or order one from an American retailer.

I swear, this model only exists to just push people into paying more money for the non gimped NSMB Wii bundle version.

I've seen people on this forum complain about Nintendo not playing "Santa" in the past. Well... from their point of view, there's no money to be made in playing Santa, they would rather play the role of Scrooge instead.

Because it's a game website whose job presumably is to inform any segment of the market that might potentially buy a game related product? am I reading you wrong here?

Who in Europe is going to import one of these things without knowing exactly what it is? I know Eurogamer's readership is not exclusively European, but still... it's a limited product most people won't be able to get anyway... a teardown? it just isn't something I'd have bothered with to this extent if I were them.

Cheerilee

it really looks like a cheap plastic Mattel toy so sadly it doesn't surprise me that man-child-GAF is enjoying the design... I cannot shake my head faster though, otherwise I will have an embolia.

I figured it out.

Mattel was Nintendo of Canada before Nintendo of Canada was Nintendo of Canada.

SmokyDave

Who in Europe is going to import one of these things without knowing exactly what it is? I know Eurogamer's readership is not exclusively European, but still... it's a limited product most people won't be able to get anyway... a teardown? it just isn't something I'd have bothered with to this extent if I were them.

I don't think anyone saw the removal of component coming, nor was it mentioned in the press release IIRC.

Of course a games site is going to check out 'new' games hardware though, that's just simple common sense.

Zaventem

Lol.I remember people in the last thread defending it when asked why they won't buy a regular Wii that comes with a game instead.

I don't think anyone saw the removal of component coming, nor was it mentioned in the press release IIRC.

Of course a games site is going to check out 'new' games hardware though, that's just simple common sense.

He's probably upset they're critiquing Nintendo no matter what the reason instead of letting people be aware of how shit this redesign is.

BocoDragon

cold blooded.

Top Bottom