• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself)

duckroll

Important Notice start

Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura are both From Software directors who have never worked on any Capcom title or Monster Hunter game. There is another Tomohiro Shibuya on Mobygames who is a graphic artist at D.A.G., a studio Capcom contracts for graphical work on some of their games. He is not the same person. Both Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura worked extensively on the Another Century's Episode games at From Software. Shibuya is the director of ACE, ACE2, and ACE:R, and one of the producers on ACE3. Tanimura is the lead game designer for ACE and ACE2, and the director of ACE3. He did not work on ACE:R.

Important Notice end

----

Edge Magazine has a blow out on Dark Souls 2 this month, and the details are out. Brace yourselves for the horror and anticipation of a brand new journey.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

Edit: - They are also exploring vehicles for the game, and the potential of players controlling them. By vehicles, think things like chariots and boats instead of cars.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

2wXq8.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".
Excellent news!

Keep feeding us news~

GHG

Gold Member

Which version is this? The PC version I assume?

I really want to know the reason for kicking Miyazaki off this. Seems like the money got to them so they pushed him out of the way because they felt he would hamper their efforts to destroy everything the series is know for.

Disappointing.

"Supervisor" involves walking around the office from time to time with a laptop doing that "emails from the fans" thing he kept on his desk during DkS' development, right?

If anything, now that we know more about the Miyazaki situation (or at least I have a great understanding of it) I'm more worried by that.

Still, hard to say what this will truly mean until we get proper impressions from those who play it in the next 8 months.

Danielsan

This is the part where I get worried, a lot.

The new directors are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

I'm normally not a graphics whore, but if they manage to keep the same mise en scene with truly next-level graphics, I'll have to play this even if they turn it into a rail shooter.

Midou

Seen some bits from it, I would say the quotes EDGE put large and center are trolling for hits. Stuff like 'accessibility' without full context.

It said that accessibility won't be what people think it is, and other than a part at the start that is more direct, the game would feel entirely like Dark Souls. That is good enough of a 'compromise' for me, avoiding an easy mode like some people want.

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

tumblr_mc3uasAGRO1qa82d1o3_r2_250.gif

Vile.

Euphor!a

Banned
I really want to know the reason for kicking Miyazaki off this. Seems like the money got to them so they pushed him out of the way because they felt he would hamper their efforts to destroy everything the series is know for.

Disappointing.

Miyazaki wanted it to be a sequel to Dark Souls, Namco doesn't.

JoeInky

I will follow the same concept as Dark Souls, but there were a lot of hidden story elements that some players may not have caught before, and I'm hoping to make some of that a little bit more clear or directly expressed to the player - not just in the story, but messaging.

Yes, please get rid of the best part about DaS' lore.

Fuck these new directors.

dyergram

Nice gifs guys lets get some jack in here though. Will read when I get home otherwise my postman catching a beat down...

Midou

Dark Souls was essentially a pretty big direction change from Demon's Souls anyways. Many aspects were streamlined and 'simplified'.

Mileena

Banned
Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

Whole game runs as terrible as Blighttown confirmed

UrbanRats

There is a screenshot on EdgeOnline (accessible to everyone) that looks like it's in-engine.
Looks ok, not mind blowing.

Dark-Souls-II-01.jpg

There is a screenshot on EdgeOnline (accessible to everyone) that looks like it's in-engine.
Looks ok, not mind blowing.

While I've always desired the next Souls games to debut on next-gen consoles, I'm more concerned with performance rather than graphics at this stage. The game wouldn't be taxing on either console in the right hands so the only way is up, and when it comes to Dark Souls, that's good enough for me :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah no. It's ok but no.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's okay though. Dark Souls was a pretty looking game.

Midou

Yes, please get rid of the best part about DaS' lore.

Fuck these new directors.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

Also, messaging was a lot better in Demon's Souls when you didn't need an item to do it. I see a lot less useful messages in Dark Souls.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

Oh god no, don't touch the flawless combat system. Unless he means with encounters and enemies I suppose.

Euphor!a

Banned
Dark Souls was essentially a pretty big direction change from Demon's Souls anyways. Many aspects were streamlined and 'simplified'.

No, not really. If anything it was less streamlined. The only reason someone would believe that is if they played it knowing what they know from Demon's Souls.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The article says it was on a "high-end gaming laptop"

Well, holy shit. It's probably a safe assumption that a high-end gaming PC would be more powerful than a high-end gaming laptop, so DaSII will probably be amazing on PC. At least, if development continues as it is.

Seen some bits from it, I would say the quotes EDGE put large and center are trolling for hits. Stuff like 'accessibility' without full context.

It said that accessibility won't be what people think it is, and other than a part at the start that is more direct, the game would feel entirely like Dark Souls. That is good enough of a 'compromise' for me, avoiding an easy mode like some people want.

Yes. He does say that longtime players may feel awkward at first, because they already have the basics down. I would emphasize the 'at first' here. Sounds to me like the game will come together to be just as difficult as the prequels when it gets going.

Accessibility-wise, I think this will be largely in regards to the story. It sounds like they want a greater emphasis on story, driving the player forward, and enticing them onward.

Edge Magazine has a blow out on Dark Souls 2 this month, and the details are out. Brace yourselves for the horror and anticipation of a brand new journey.

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions.
He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

Bailing the fuck out of this hype train

Wanny

Damn you guys on NeoGAF are doom worshippers. I actually like the details in OP and I'm a total fan of DS/DkS.

I suggest to calm down a bit and just wait for actual gameplay footage/walkthrough.

Raptor

More action?

Like action setpieces?

I don't know if Im ok with that, in fact Im not, the reason I love this games are because of the weird, scary, thing going on with them, now they want to make more action orientated and stuff.

maybe Im getting it wrong but that doesnt sound to good IMO.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's okay though. Dark Souls was a pretty looking game.

Absolutely and I'm sure it's going to look amazing next time around, especially on pc considering how dark souls can look on that platform. That said, I hate pr/psedu-hype/click-bait bullshit statements like that.

"shockingly close" would be "actually close" which would be "generations away"...

Tomodachi

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.
YAAAAAAAAAS!

This is everything I wanted to hear, from now on I can stop caring at all about Dark Souls 2, they could even call Nomura at characters' design for all I care. Bring it on with the next Miyazaki's project, the REAL successor to Souls.

That said, I would be glad if DS2 would be a good game in its own good just like I would for any other game, I just stopped seeing it as a true Souls chapter and that is that.

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

-Miyazaki is working on a new game he can't talk about.

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

kzjgI.jpg

Drink the Kool-aid.

Plunge the knife.

Drink the Kool-Aid!

Plunge the knife!

This worries me, as combat was always one of the Souls games strong suits, being very deliberate and well paced. It was already miles ahead of Skyrim and the like. Granted we've seen more combo based combat work in Dragon's Dogma but that's not what I want to see in the Souls games.

Yeah... I doubt this.

So it is Dark Souls-related lol.

Clevinger

Oh god no, don't touch the flawless combat system. Unless he means with encounters and enemies I suppose.

He might mean that because he mentions elsewhere that he doesn't want to change the controls.

No, not really. If anything it was less streamlined. The only reason someone would believe that is if they played it knowing what they know from Demon's Souls.

No item burden. No weird symbols for stats. No world tendency. Respawning crystal lizards. It was streamlined.

Dresden

I guess the big concern (for me at least) is the stark difference between Miyazaki's handling of the game exemplified here -

-The unknown nature of the games came from Miyazaki's interest in western fantasy/mythology and his relative inability to read the English text as a child, leaving him to fill in the blanks.

- compared to the new directors and their approach to implementing changes:

"We want to constantly think of something new that hasn't been tried before [so we put in vehicles lol]"

As the series moves on without its creator, maybe we won't see the loss so clearly early on, but that lack of deliberate design, or ambition outside of just trying to keep things fresh...

Top Bottom