• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 1-6 Coming to 3DS

mqdefault.jpg

I love Mega Man 3 except for THIS part.

Just use Rush Marine or Rush Jet. This screen shot shows Mega Man equipped with the useless Top Spin. Now that's Hard Mode.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, they'd have to put up the SNES version. The lower resolution of the GBA screen makes that version borderline unplayable. Often times you'll jump up and get hit by an enemy, or worse, an insta-death spike, that you couldn't even see when you started jumping.
Uuuuugh this. GBA version is inferior.

I absolutely cannot listen to the GBA version of the soundtrack at all. That's why I ordered a copy of the SFC version of Mega Man & Bass; the music is so much better. So much better.

Continuing my buster only run of the classics with Mega man 4 today. 4 is the first mega man I have almost no knowledge of, so this should be fun :)
Have fun with it. I recently played through the Complete Works version of it and ended up liking it a lot more than I previously did as a kid. It's a somewhat decent introduction of the buster charge in the series (so I think your buster-only run could benefit from that). I also think the Complete Works soundtrack for MM4 is the best one out of the four, but... well... that's not the version we're talking about here. It's a good game, regardless. Some neat stage designs. It did make its way into my favourite classic game lineup just because it's plain ol' fun, and I like the presentation of it and level design.

Greenhowse said:
No plans for it, and I don't think they'll release it either. A shame, because 4 and 5 for the Gameboy were pretty fun. 3 and 1 were solid, and I can't stand 2.
No one can. That game's music is terrible and makes me want to stab myself in the ear.

MMIV GB is awesome. I love the stage select UI for that game.

My favorite behind 2. Never cared for 3 for some reason.

I care for it, but I find myself playing it vastly less. For me I think it's because 3 falls apart after the Doc Robot stages. I really feel the MM3 Wily Castle is sub-par compared to many other entries. 4 for me I think has weaker regular Boss stages than 3, but has two of the most aesthetically appealing and better designed Castles in the series. Also, I like the kind of melancholic, minor key music tracks in 4. The compositions are great, it's just that sorta muffled percussion that I think turns people off.

Refyref

Didn't the GBA version not have a dash button, or something equally silly?

Nah, You just need to dash like in the NES games, since the GBA only has 2 face buttons.

Uuuuugh this. GBA version is inferior.

I absolutely cannot listen to the GBA version of the soundtrack at all. That's why I ordered a copy of the SFC version of Mega Man & Bass; the music is so much better. So much better.

Eh. Some of the instruments in it are terrible, but I'd say the overall tempo and echo of the GBA version is superior. The real issue is the lower resolution. Rather than downscaling it, they cut off the screen, so the game is much harder. Still a good game, even if that version isn't great.

no. just make new megaman. we already had collections and remakes and shit this needs to stop

Compromise. Make a massive game with all 78 bosses (or 80 if you want to include Oil Man and Time Man from Powered Up,) balance the weapons esp. Metal Blade, make each robot master weak to several and add a bit of differentiation (ex. Make Wind Man's power more than just a reskinned Bubble Lead,) keep the original Robot Master levels, new Wily's Castle, boss rush is 8 robot masters selected completely at random, and never touch the originals again. "Mega Man Complete Edition" or something like that. Heck, even go the 9 and 10 route and add extra challenges.

Myriadis

When I buy a 3DS (that said, if I buy it), I will surely get at least 2 and 3. I played 3 or 4 levels of the second game and thought that it was easy once you are careful enough and I at least finished the first set of 8 levels in 3 and I loved these games.

Noogy

I care for it, but I find myself playing it vastly less. For me I think it's because 3 falls apart after the Doc Robot stages. I really feel the MM3 Wily Castle is sub-par compared to many other entries. 4 for me I think has weaker regular Boss stages than 3, but has two of the most aesthetically appealing and better designed Castles in the series. Also, I like the kind of melancholic, minor key music tracks in 4. The compositions are great, it's just that sorta muffled percussion that I think turns people off.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about 3 and 4 as well. And it's not like 3 is a bad game in any sense, I just find myself returning to 4 a lot more.

I haven't picked any of these up on the 3DS yet (no time) but I'm hoping to do so sometime this week. Need my handheld fix.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Nah, they'd have to put up the SNES version. The lower resolution of the GBA screen makes that version borderline unplayable. Often times you'll jump up and get hit by an enemy, or worse, an insta-death spike, that you couldn't even see when you started jumping.

I've always had problems playing the Japanese GBA cart on my GameCube with the Game Boy Player. If the SFC/SNES original is better I'd want that version too, but Nintendo haven't announced any plans to release SNES games on the 3DS VC.

Videoneon

Nah, You just need to dash like in the NES games, since the GBA only has 2 face buttons.

Eh. Some of the instruments in it are terrible, but I'd say the overall tempo and echo of the GBA version is superior. The real issue is the lower resolution. Rather than downscaling it, they cut off the screen, so the game is much harder. Still a good game, even if that version isn't great.

Yeah, and you get used to dashing, even if a dedicated button is superior. if you've played Bass Mode in MM10 it's the same thing except Dashing isn't anywhere as helpful in 10 as it is here.

As for the music, I can't really think of one that I like in the GBA version more than the SNES one. I've never noticed tempo adjustments between the two while playing, but some of the tracks where the differences are immediately noticeable (Cold Man, Pirate Man, King Stages, Robot Master fight for example) sound worse due to instrument choice, as you said. The sounds are generally just weaker for me.

I've always had problems playing the Japanese GBA cart on my GameCube with the Game Boy Player. If the SFC/SNES original is better I'd want that version too, but Nintendo haven't announced any plans to release SNES games on the 3DS VC.

Problem is that Mega Man and Bass was never released for the Super Nintendo in America, as I recall. The GBA one is the only localized version out there. Strange that we don't see any SNES stuff on 3DS VC though.

No one can. That game's music is terrible and makes me want to stab myself in the ear.

MMIV GB is awesome. I love the stage select UI for that game.

Agreed on both counts. The stage select layout is probably my favorite.

I have to agree, as much as I like MM3. The Wily stages (and their bosses) are too short and too easy. Only Wily puts up a decent challenge. E-Tanks everywhere. But I have a little more fun with the boss fights in 3 than I do 4.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't find that the tempo has changed at all when comparing both soundtracks, but I'll re-listen to it. I don't like the reverb in the GBA version, either, because I don't like the channels that are used to play the music in that version (you get some background noise instead of a pure reverb). Sometimes it sounds too tinny or low quality or it can't really compensate for sounds produced with the SPC 700. For example, the PCM sound is 8-bit, so it's going to have that background noise quality to it. Also, it's broadcast in up to 44kHz (versus the SNES's16-bit sound at 32 kHz). The GBA soundchip has 4 GB synth + 2 PCM channels, while the SNES has 8 ADPCM sample-playback channels (can play 8 "voices" at the same time at any pitch and volume if the composer so chooses at a higher sample rate than the GBA's chip), though the disappointment is that because it had to deal with the RAM in carts, some sounds sounded more muffled than they were supposed to be; hence why I say that, for example, the DS version of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is the best version of it.

It's simply that the GBA sound chip just wasn't as strong, imo, as the SPC 700, but there are indeed reasons Nintendo couldn't get a chip like that or use the same chip in the GBA anyway. GBA games' music (games built for the GBA) are perfectly fine, but I truly feel odd whenever I heard a SNES/SFC -> GBA port's music. It's just more noticeable to me. Since MMnB came out in 1998 and took more advantage of the SPC 700 in general, it's slightly more noticeable to me. I mean, it's up to your discretion if you like it better, because you really aren't alone in your assertion, but I just feel different because of the quality of the chip and channels used in the GBA version alone.

Though to be fair, I've always said that the SPC 700 soundchip was always one of my favourite soundchips next to the YM2612 and a few other ones from around that era and prior to that. I do admit that I am biased, but generally SNES -> GBA sound conversions for ports generally suffer in quality.

But the resolution is definitely terrible. Absolutely. Not gonna argue about that at all. GBA's resolution was like 240x160... and having to display SNES games (originally 256x244) might be incredibly tricky. Especially for platformers.

Refyref

I don't find that the tempo has changed at all when comparing both soundtracks, but I'll re-listen to it. I don't like the reverb in the GBA version, either, because I don't like the channels that are used to play the music in that version (you get some background noise instead of a pure reverb). Sometimes it sounds too tinny or low quality or it can't really compensate for sounds produced with the SPC 700. For example, the PCM sound is 8-bit, so it's going to have that background noise quality to it. Also, it's broadcast in up to 44kHz (versus the SNES's16-bit sound at 32 kHz). The GBA soundchip has 4 GB synth + 2 PCM channels, while the SNES has 8 ADPCM sample-playback channels (can play 8 "voices" at the same time at any pitch and volume if the composer so chooses at a higher sample rate than the GBA's chip), though the disappointment is that because it had to deal with the RAM in carts, some sounds sounded more muffled than they were supposed to be; hence why I say that, for example, the DS version of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is the best version of it.

It's simply that the GBA sound chip just wasn't as strong, imo, as the SPC 700, but there are indeed reasons Nintendo couldn't get a chip like that or use the same chip in the GBA anyway. GBA games' music (games built for the GBA) are perfectly fine, but I truly feel odd whenever I heard a SNES/SFC -> GBA port's music. It's just more noticeable to me. Since MMnB came out in 1998 and took more advantage of the SPC 700 in general, it's slightly more noticeable to me. I mean, it's up to your discretion if you like it better, because you really aren't alone in your assertion, but I just feel different because of the quality of the chip and channels used in the GBA version alone.

Though to be fair, I've always said that the SPC 700 soundchip was always one of my favourite soundchips next to the YM2612 and a few other ones from around that era and prior to that. I do admit that I am biased, but generally SNES -> GBA sound conversions for ports generally suffer in quality.

But the resolution is definitely terrible. Absolutely. Not gonna argue about that at all. GBA's resolution was like 240x160... and having to display SNES games (originally 256x244) might be incredibly tricky. Especially for platformers.

Actually, I mostly agree with you. There's just something in how the GBA version was mixed that I prefer, despite the fact that I usually prefer SNES versions. And yes, the sound quality of the GBA port was pretty bad, not disagreeing there. I'm not even completely sure why I prefer it, really. (I also love the SPC 700, but prefer CTDS, soundtrack wise and in general too, but that is not quite related to the topic.)

They could have dealt with the resolution by scaling down the sprites of everything, that would've made the graphics a bit worse, but then the game would've retained the functionality of the gameplay, which I think is more important than graphics. Ideally, they would've made brand new sprites that were made for the GBA from ground up, but I can't really expect that from a cheap port.

However, as it stands, they did what they did, and the GBA version is a little broken in comparison to the SFC version, so should they rerelease it (and they should), I'd prefer the SFC version.

yep, 5 is out. never played it, any good?

The level design suffers from an odd attempt at the time to push the limits of the NES. There's some gimmicky little bits to some stages which seem to add nothing but flavor to the experience. Also, it has the most overpowered Mega Buster in the series. Combined, these factors make the stages seem to fly by sometimes, but as long as you don't care about the difficulty, what's there really isn't bad.

The game and its OST get a bum rap, honestly. If you're even remotely interested, it's totally worth $5.

I've been waiting for 5 to be released since it's one of the only ones I've only played once and I recall really enjoying it.

Now I want 9 on my 3ds please.

Pikma

Banned
I bought I through IV the other day, you're telling me I can buy V today? Ok, I'll do it. Capcpom, take my money.
It would be really cool if we ended getting 7 on the VC, and 8, 9 and 10 as regular eShop titles. We deserve the 3DS to be the Mega Man machine, after all. If they did that I would seriously consider forgiving them for that certain 3DS game they cancelled.

RM8

I was very opposed to NES Mega Man games on 3DS because it feels like we'll NEVER get the GOOD Game Boy Mega Man games. But lol, I bought MM5 and I think I'm totally buying the other 5 (despite owning them on other platforms already).

RM8

I love 5 and 6 so much, a shame they get less love than earlier games. Overall I don't think there's a bad MM game from 1 to 6, even the first one has its moments (along with great music).

I love 5 and 6 so much, a shame they get less love than earlier games. Overall I don't think there's a bad MM game from 1 to 6, even the first one has its moments (along with great music).

I agree, but Megaman 6 is the easiest of all of them.

These are probably my favorite games on the NES, followed by a lot of Capcom and Konami classics. I'm really happy they are on the 3DS for me to play whenever.

eojoko

Do these have an auto-fire button on 3DS Virtual Console?

I played through 2 recently on my NES, and, while I think it'd be fun on 3DS, the big NES concave buttons and controller durability would be sorely missed. I don't think I'd have as much fun clicking my small 3DS button rapidly.

Top Bottom