• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 1-6 Coming to 3DS

Noema

Mega Man II is broken as all hell. Once you figure that game out, it's painfully easily. The Metal Blades pretty much make you invincible in that game.

That's where 3 excels over 2, the game is a lot more balanced.

I love Mega Man 2 with an unfettering, never-ending, fiery passion, but I admit that the bolded statement is true. Metal Blades are insane. High Damage, fire in 8 directions, take up a minuscule amount of ammo. Even my 10 year old self knew that, and when I played Mega Man 3 I kept wondering what the Metal Blade equivalent was. There's none, and that's a good thing.

I find the Doc Robots a hassle in MM3. You have to keep trying every different weapon until you figure out what damages them...

I think I will wait for 4-6.

This is how I always remember what weapons to use against the Doc Robot stages:

Metal Man is weak against Magnets(makes sense, magnets stick to metal)

Quick Man is weak against Gemini or Snakes(because they're slow moving, of course!)

Air Man is weak against Spark Man (air, spark, clouds, electricity)

Crash Man is weak against Hard Knuckle (Crash Man, collisions...or something)

Flash Man is weak against Gemini Lasers (cuz they're both futuristic and stuff!)

Bubble Man is weak against Shadow Blades (Pop the bubbles!)

Wood Man is weak against Needle Man (give him splinters!)

Heat Man is weak against Top Spin (blow out the fire!)

Just picked up Mega Man 3 yesterday. It's my all time favorite Mega Man game, and its marvelous on my 3DS. Playing it on a handheld with good controls is heavenly.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I find the Doc Robots a hassle in MM3. You have to keep trying every different weapon until you figure out what damages them...

edit-Jeez that sounds real negative, maybe I should give it another chance.

They are a hassle. They're out of place, their sprites are too big, they're not fun or cool. They are video game Extenze; artificial gameplay lengthening. Big "no thanks" to Doc Robots.

Bert409

mqdefault.jpg

I love Mega Man 3 except for THIS part.

Wily Wars also broke the music though. :(

Actually it was the genesis.

And if it had been on Super Nintendo, it would have also been broken.

The nes had a sound processor mainly different from those systems, so whatever convertion made would have sucked balls.

The genny sounded like a cheap Casio piano and the snes would have sounded like a Yamaha piano inside of a thrash can.

That's why chip musicians use the nes or the gameboy: the sound is ... Pure and different

Edit: it is like converting an mp3 to midi.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mega Man 3 is out? Nice...MM2 and MM3 are my all-time favorites. MM3 is much easier than MM2, though.

Anyone also remember the weird cheat you could do with a second controller to make Mega Man invincible?

Actually it was the genesis.

And if it had been on Super Nintendo, it would have also been broken.

The nes had a sound processor mainly different from those systems, so whatever convertion made would have sucked balls.

The genny sounded like a cheap Casio piano and the snes would have sounded like a Yamaha piano inside of a thrash can.

That's why chip musicians use the nes or the gameboy: the sound is ... Pure and different

Edit: it is like converting an mp3 to midi.

Yeah I know why. I don't think it's impossible to have made new interpretations of that music with at least those chips, arrangements that weren't completely inferior, but eh. It was a weird little package.

DiegoPonga

Neo Member
Well, I would like to buy them because I never complete a Mega Man game but... How much will those six games cost? I mean... $30 for six digital games from the 80s? Sounds expensive to me.

Seems like I was correct, nobody wants to remember that 7 and 8 exist.

Why not? I'm not a big fan of the series, so I can't talk.

Tizoc

I almost always start Rockman 2 by beating Airman first, mainly because he and his stage is easy for me.
Furthermore I've never used the Metal Blades in any of my past replays, heck I only learned of its effectiveness some months ago lol.

mqdefault.jpg

I love Mega Man 3 except for THIS part.

It's amazing how after 20 something years, just seeing this instantly pops the stage music into my head.

This may be an odd question, but does anyone own the PSN 1-4 and play them on the PSP and own these on 3DS?

I'm definitely getting 5 in May because it's not on PSN in the states, but I was wondering if the smaller screen but nice D-pad makes the 3DS experience nicer than the bigger screen but less nice D-pad on PSP (Buying a 3DS XL is not doable in my budget any time soon, and I don't think this would be the thing to sell me one anyways)

I'm asking because I'd sorta rather just have them all in one place and I'm thinking of double-dipping on 2 and 4 since I play them the most.

Mega Man 3 is out? Nice...MM2 and MM3 are my all-time favorites. MM3 is much easier than MM2, though.

It's the exact same way I feel about both Mega Man 2 and 3. I always felt MM2 was like a masterpiece and MM3 was akin to a summer blockbuster movie. Both are still some of the best games I ever played in my lifetime.

bumpkin

There's a preview video for MM4 in the eShop so it's not too far behind.
I forget the specific dates, but I know 4 is coming in April and 5 is coming in May.

EDIT: Found it...

Mega Man 4 will arrive on April 25. Mega Man 5 is due on May 16. Capcom also mentioned a June launch for Mega Man 6, but did not provide a release date.

Why can't I have these on my WiiU and play as intended on a tv screen? Is it too much to ask for a bunch of nes vc games, Nintendo? :(

Well, I would like to buy them because I never complete a Mega Man game but... How much will those six games cost? I mean... $30 for six digital games from the 80s? Sounds expensive to me.

For that price they are a bargain to me, but I grew up playing these games and they are some of my favorite games ever made.

MM1 & 2 are easily conquered by my muscle memory. 3, 4 & 5 will give me more trouble (because I didn't play them as much) and 6 is a cakewalk again.

Haven't picked up MM3 yet, still finishing Fire Emblem.

Tizoc

It's amazing how after 20 something years, just seeing this instantly pops the stage music into my head.

This may be an odd question, but does anyone own the PSN 1-4 and play them on the PSP and own these on 3DS?

I'm definitely getting 5 in May because it's not on PSN in the states, but I was wondering if the smaller screen but nice D-pad makes the 3DS experience nicer than the bigger screen but less nice D-pad on PSP (Buying a 3DS XL is not doable in my budget any time soon, and I don't think this would be the thing to sell me one anyways)

I'm asking because I'd sorta rather just have them all in one place and I'm thinking of double-dipping on 2 and 4 since I play them the most.

I have Rockman 2 on my Vita and the colors look vibrant. Game plays and handles well too.
Unlike everyone else, I always start Rockman 2 with Airman, his stage and battle are pretty easy to me.

I'm feeling a need for some old school platforming, so I think I'll start picking these up of the eShop. $30 for six games sounds like a great deal to me.

sonto340

edit-Jeez that sounds real negative, maybe I should give it another chance.
That's how all the robot master fights are. You either learn the pattern and take them on with the megabuster, or try all your weapons until you find their weakness :p

I have Rockman 2 on my Vita and the colors look vibrant. Game plays and handles well too.
Unlike everyone else, I always start Rockman 2 with Airman, his stage and battle are pretty easy to me.

Missed this the other day. Do you own 2 on the 3DS as well, and if so, which version do you prefer?

I thought everyone started with Air Man. No matter what path I choose, I just don't want to have to do Heat Man without the #2 device. I think I've made it across those damn blocks by jumping maybe twice in my life.

GulAtiCa

That's a lot cheaper then getting them for the NES in hand these days. heh

Videoneon

I caved and got MM3. It's been a while, but I've got all of the robot master and fortress boss patterns down again, so I'm good. Gemini Man is a lot easier than I remember. I forgot about the Wily stages being made short and without checkpoints for some reason, but I was happy to see how long the stages were in general. It's not too difficult, even without the 9 Energy tanks (Red A6) password. Lots of fun.

3 still isn't out on 3DS in Aus ; _ ;

I just learned about Europe and Australia's situation today. Someone made a question about on Ask Capcom but it has a whopping zero responses right now. Sorry to hear it.

Mega Man 3's music has sort of bluesy melodies sometimes. Strong and sad. It's too bad; I don't think the composer worked on a lot of game music since.
Intro
Hard Man
Spark Man
Snake Man

Mega Man 3 has a great soundtrack. My favorite Robot Master stage music is
Magnet Man's
, which is odd because I generally like the somberness of 3 and 4's soundtrack and Magnet Man's stage is so cheery. Shadow Man is awesome too.

I actually think it has the best fortress music ever: Wily Stage 1-2.

Here's a Genesis remix for good measure.

FWIW, MM7 Wily Stage 1 and MM4 Cossack Stage 3-4 are second and third place.

Davey Cakes

It's cool that a handheld plays a console's games (in the case of the NES Mega Man series), but one of the neatest aspects of the 3DS is being able to play games that were tailor-made for handhelds, i.e. original Gameboy games, including the GB Mega Man ones. Plus, of course, the GB nostalgia factor which is different from that of the NES. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in Mega Man 1-5 and Xtreme 1 and 2 just for the novelty.

I mean, you can't get Gameboy games on any other recent handheld system, so embracing them on a handheld that offers GB capability would make more sense.

Hey which Mega Man games are out on NA VC? Also, I hope some day we'll get a new X compilation that will actually have X7 and X8, always wanted to play those but never had a PS2, they could try a 3DS collection I guess, but Wii U would work too, I heard they actually put in a couple of PS1 games in the GC/PS2 X collection.

Hey the GBA collection should be finalized if ever for the VC. I remember that got cancelled, it was supposed to have all the handheld entries to that point.

I'm not a newbie to MM, I actually played and adored Mega Man X Command Mission, little did I know the folks from Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter made that, nice idea Capcom.

But I never played a Mega Man other than that, should I just grab a VC game, or grab a DS game? Really wanted Mega Man Battle Network 5 Double Team, forget why I never got that. :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
no. just make new megaman. we already had collections and remakes and shit this needs to stop

I want them to do to the X series what they did to the original. Release a SNES style Mega Man X9. It'd be the best thing ever.

It's cool that a handheld plays a console's games (in the case of the NES Mega Man series), but one of the neatest aspects of the 3DS is being able to play games that were tailor-made for handhelds, i.e. original Gameboy games, including the GB Mega Man ones. Plus, of course, the GB nostalgia factor which is different from that of the NES. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in Mega Man 1-5 and Xtreme 1 and 2 just for the novelty.

What drives me up the wall about it is that I've already bought these on the Wii VC. I'd like to have them on my 3DS, but I'm not paying twice for them. And then when I think oh, it's just $5, I start thinking about how I could buy something else with that instead since I already have it on another platform.

They're just not handling this very well at all. Buying PS1 games from the PSN store is great because you have scaling options and you can play them on Vita. There's just no excuse for this. But, I know all of this has been discussed to hell and back.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Capcom needs to release this when Nintendo get around to adding GBA games to the VC outside of the Ambassador Program.

256px-Mmandbass.jpg

sonto340

Continuing my buster only run of the classics with Mega man 4 today. 4 is the first mega man I have almost no knowledge of, so this should be fun :)

rjc571

Banned
Swap the music with the Famicom/SNES' better music quality and we're golden ~

Nah, they'd have to put up the SNES version. The lower resolution of the GBA screen makes that version borderline unplayable. Often times you'll jump up and get hit by an enemy, or worse, an insta-death spike, that you couldn't even see when you started jumping.

Top Bottom