• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens CM Gearbox VS AVP Rebellion = No Contest

I TOLD YOU SO: This is my old thread about who would win.

I have been getting hyped for the new Aliens Colonial Marines game but as of lately all of the footage is just feeling like I've already played it before. Then I thought to myself. Wait I have the DX11 PC Version of Alien Vs Predator from Rebellion.

I recently loaded it up and there is no reason for all the hype around the Gearbox version of the game when we have basically played it already or for those that are pumped go check this version out.

I have been watching all the footage and Ive beat the AVP Rebellion version and it feels the same as the new trailers coming out for Gearbox version.

So my question is why haven't we seen a sequel to Rebellions version and why was it so overlooked?

Here are some screens and videos so JUDGE FOR YOURSELF

avpaug19_00005.jpg

avpmay20_00003.jpg

avpmay20_00001.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS3UzvxIO8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E56y-0culYY

As well as the Benchmark with comparisons.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,705447/Aliens-vs-Predator-DirectX-11-benchmarks-and-graphics-comparison/Reviews/

I think it's because people want a "pure" Alien experience. I get that Alien and Predator are similar and compatible universes, and I get that the original comics were actually class, but the thing is when I'm looking for an Alien experience, it takes me out a bit when I start hearing the click-clacking of the Predator.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
AvP is obviously way better than that Gearbox game will ever be.

Though, it's probably best to turn the voice off and just read the communications.

it got overlooked because it was a pretty bad game compared to the original two AvP games on the PC. It may look pretty but that's all.

it got overlooked because it was a pretty bad game compared to the original two AvP games on the PC. It may look pretty but that's all.

Im not sure where anyone gives it bad gameplay. There were some pretty solid gameplay moments. Yes it couldnt touch the originals but it was by no means bad.

AvP was pretty good but a more true Alien game is welcome.

Plus Colonial Marine will have something AvP sorely lacked...4 player co-op. :)

Im not sure where anyone gives it bad gameplay. There were some pretty solid gameplay moments. Yes it couldnt touch the originals but it was by no means bad.

but i dunno, i love the original two games, and they were a multiplayer favourite for years! this new one? it just didn't click for me, never even finished the campaign...

Apath

I actually really liked AvP when I played the multiplayer demo on the 360. If the game had a larger player base, I would have bought the full game.

I actually really liked AvP when I played the multiplayer demo on the 360. If the game had a larger player base, I would have bought the full game.

I still recommend it for its gameplay in SP. I know its not huge on MP but you should give it a try especially the PC version.

NinjaBoiX

RyanReedyMusic said:
I have been watching all the footage and Ive beat the AVP Rebellion version and it feels the same as the new trailers coming out for Gearbox version.
Does not compute.

Perkel

Banned
What game is not predictable especially when it comes to AVP?

What did you expect? Something completely different than shooting?

To much talking.

First AvP was awesome because you were alone. Wit marine no one said to you where to go and look out. You were constantly scanning everything around you and you simply could not predict when enemy will show up.

Rebellion's new AVP was an absolutely hopeless game. They made 3 hours worth of real content/levels and then repeated that shit over and over in all 3 campaigns and multiplayer. And in the process they forgot everything that made the older games so good, so not only was it a lazy effort, it was a lazy effort with terrible results.

Whatever happened to Monolith? A few years ago they had some of the best games ever to come out under their belt, and then they just faded into obscurity :(

gabbo

The 2010 AvP was a step backwards from Rebellion's '98 game and Monoliths sequel as far as I'm concerned, so I don't really want a sequel to it. That said, AliensCM doesn't look all that interesting to me either

DocSeuss

Rebellion's new AVP was an absolutely hopeless game. They made 3 hours worth of real content/levels and then repeated that shit over and over in all 3 campaigns and multiplayer. And in the process they forgot everything that made the older games so good, so not only was it a lazy effort, it was a lazy effort with terrible results.

Whatever happened to Monolith? A few years ago they had some of the best games ever to come out under their belt, and then they just faded into obscurity :(

Monolith is owned by WB, who had them working on that F2P Batman game after FEAR 2 (for some reason letting another studio do FEAR 3, which, yet again, failed to move the plot from the first game forward), and they've just released that Lord of the Rings MOBA for Consoles (because it's a more 'cinematic' experience, apparently).

Now idea how the guys who did SHOGO/AvP2/NOLF/NOLF2/FEAR ended up like this. Makes me sad.

AvP2 is still the best Aliens game I've played. The Marine campaign is perfect, as far as I remember, partly because the first twenty minutes or so of the game don't feature any Aliens at all. It's all about setting up tension and mood, and the player's so unimpeded by any crazy "LEARN HOW TO DO THIS" obstacles. The game just emanates fear in a way I've only experienced in three other games (and that would be STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, STALKER: Clear Sky, and STALKER: Call of Pripyat). There are no other scary games in existence, in my opinion.

What I would give for Monolith's return to glory.

The recent AvP game was a colossal piece of crap, gameplay wise it was even more shallow than a kiddie pool. I was embarrassed at just how watered down the experience was having played AvP1 and AvP2 ten years ago, and multiplayer in those games lasted me about 4-5 years. And AvP2 eclipsed AvP1.

AvP2 for me still ranks as one the deepest and best multiplayer FPS games I have ever known.

Also like others said: the campaign was nothing short of amazing. Three perfectly intertwined stories that respected the movies and source material...... unlike the shit AvP films.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really liked the game, especially that it tried and almost had a decent story.

Nothing tops AvP 2 though. Nothing.

Interesting. I'm going to read up some some reviews.

It's a tough game and it's genuine survival horror. You won't find a lot of ammo, your pistol is mostly useless and the aliens will attack you when you absolutely cannot defend yourself. The controls aren't that great, either which contributes to the difficulty. It's definitely worth a try though. Trying to finish some of those levels with very little ammo and no health packs is absolutely terrifying.

Also, there's no soundtrack to the game. It's all ambient noise (screams, sounds of the ship, creatures moving around) and the only spoken dialogue is from the ships computer "FATHER". The dialogue spoken by characters in cutscenes is all text.

It's not quite as scary when replaying it because you'll know when the aliens will attack, but that first time is incredible. Also, the facehuggers are utterly horrifying (as they should be). I've screamed several times after having them jump on my screen. Sometimes it happens when you don't even see them.

DocSeuss

Sadly that isn't going to happen. Very talented people there, but not the same Monolith anymore.

Yeah, I know that the AI guy who made FEAR what it was now works at MIT doing AI research. Apparently, some of his work went into STALKER, which is why it is one of the best games ever.

The AI and the feedback were made FEAR what it was. I can't say I've played a game since that has done it quite so well.

Wow amazing that I would post this article on Gaf before all of the bad news recently. I knew this game would suck and I even preached about it before it all hit.

I TOLD YOU SO GAF

Rebellion's AVP still sucked. I mostly remember all the hilarious "gross out" kills that were neither gross nor shocking.

Wow amazing that I would post this article on Gaf before all of the bad news recently. I knew this game would suck and I even preached about it before it all hit.

I TOLD YOU SO GAF

Yeah, you were the only one who predicted Colonial Marines sucking.

FGMPR

Banned

I TOLD YOU SO GAF

I still don't believe AVP was overlooked. They are both shit, with one clearly being worse than the other.

KissVibes

Banned

I TOLD YOU SO GAF

Congratulations on seeing what most people saw with the troubled development and mediocre media that had been released for the game. You really showed all of NeoGAF!

I'm glad you managed to stay so humble too.

The recent AvP game was a colossal piece of crap, gameplay wise it was even more shallow than a kiddie pool. I was embarrassed at just how watered down the experience was having played AvP1 and AvP2 ten years ago, and multiplayer in those games lasted me about 4-5 years. And AvP2 eclipsed AvP1.

AvP2 for me still ranks as one the deepest and best multiplayer FPS games I have ever known.

Also like others said: the campaign was nothing short of amazing. Three perfectly intertwined stories that respected the movies and source material...... unlike the shit AvP films.

This so much. AVP2 is my favourite multiplayer to date, which is probably why the recent one was such a let down. I'd hoped for a new game to recapture some of the fun I had with Monolith's title.

And yeah, the single player campaigns were masterfully intertwined and the plot was interesting too.

Nope, it's called Alien Resurrection for the PlayStation.

That one was pretty good with the atmosphere. Heck, it was better than the movie it's based off of. However, the controls were pretty bad and there were odd happenings with the shooting at times.

There's also Alien: Trilogy. It had it's moments, though yes, it was more of a shooter than a horror game. Gameplay layout was fairly repetitive (same boss at the end of each level for example), but it was an ok game for the time. Ugly, and I know the PC port was horrid, but PS and Saturn owners probably found it enjoyable.

The marine sections of rebellions AVP games are always decent. It's when you're an alien/predator that they fall apart. It doesn't help that the entire AVP fiction is trash as well.

That one was pretty good with the atmosphere. Heck, it was better than the movie it's based off of. However, the controls were pretty bad and there were odd happenings with the shooting at times.

Definitely. It made a difficult game even harder, but I appreciated a true "survival-horror" take on an Alien game. Whenever I suggest it to people I usually try to mention the lackluster controls.

AvP 2010 was overlooked because it was bad. Personally I'm enjoying CM much more than AvP, considering that AvP was so un-fun that I stopped playing it.

Top Bottom