• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens CM Gearbox VS AVP Rebellion = No Contest

Riddy

i just dont want really Predator in my Alien that much.

This (well, you know, with proper English :p)

I love AVP1+2 (2010 was tolerable at best), but I've been waiting for an Aliens game. That's the universe I'm interested in. It's sad how those games, which for all intents and purposes, are tacky sci-fi crossover/clashes (EXCEPTIONAL ones, but), do a more honorable job of expanding the Aliens universe than ACM did.

sol_bad

Watching that AvP 2010 footage just made me realise that it's actually quite funny that we play a rookie character in a lot of video games. You as the rookie is surrounded by hardened experts in killing and you are the one that seems to survive. Hardened killers with years upon years under their belt in tactics and strategy yet they all die.

This just makes absolutely no sense at all.
<___<

TUROK

It was overlooked because it wasn't very good. Even on the hardest difficulty it wasn't all that hard.

I had fun with it, but as a total B game.

Bedlam

I haven't played A:CM (and I'm not going to) so I can't compare the two, but AVP 2010 was not a particularly good game. The level design was crap (except for the first two marine levels), it lacked suspense throughout the whole game, the writing was atrocious and the voice acting was comically bad. The MP was pretty fun though.

Maybe it's slightly better than A:CM but yeah, definitely not good. And not overlooked either: the game was a financial success and sold decent numbers if I recall correctly.

Moff

AvP2012 was much much better, it had serious flaws, but it looked great, was polished and played and felt good. nothing of this can be said about Colonial Marines.

and the previous AvPs were even better

I liked AVP for what it was, especially the Predator campaign, the Marines in the human campaign were awful though. MP was great fun for a couple of weeks.

Gearbox Aliens seems like another long list in huge mistakes by Sega.

Aliens Infestation is the best Aliens game clearly nobody played.

I played it. Loved it so much I played it almost immediately after. It was a "no man left behind" run in which I didn't let anyone die and I'd have to restart if they did. The final boss was the worst because I had to climb up high to a platform where it couldn't hit me and stand there roasting the thing to a tender golden death.

EGM1966

Monolith is owned by WB, who had them working on that F2P Batman game after FEAR 2 (for some reason letting another studio do FEAR 3, which, yet again, failed to move the plot from the first game forward), and they've just released that Lord of the Rings MOBA for Consoles (because it's a more 'cinematic' experience, apparently).

Now idea how the guys who did SHOGO/AvP2/NOLF/NOLF2/FEAR ended up like this. Makes me sad.

AvP2 is still the best Aliens game I've played. The Marine campaign is perfect, as far as I remember, partly because the first twenty minutes or so of the game don't feature any Aliens at all. It's all about setting up tension and mood, and the player's so unimpeded by any crazy "LEARN HOW TO DO THIS" obstacles. The game just emanates fear in a way I've only experienced in three other games (and that would be STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, STALKER: Clear Sky, and STALKER: Call of Pripyat). There are no other scary games in existence, in my opinion.

What I would give for Monolith's return to glory.

Yah AvP2 SP campaigns were good, particularly marine. Also the MP was a ton of fun and a great round of Survivor would deliver some of the best MP fun I've ever had.

Jackpot

Banned
Just finished replaying AvP 2010. It was more enjoyable the second time around as patches had fixed the horrendous bottlenecking, though this is still the only game to cause my graphics card to overheat. Even Crysis 2 on Dx11 and hires texture dlc didn't do that.

Lighting is pretty impressive even by today's standards, but it definitely doesn't look like the OP's bullshots.

This time around I played the Marine first and it's definitely clear his campaign got the lion's share of effort. 3 different bosses compared to the Alien's campaign of one. And the Alien's story cuts off midflow and has its whole last level replaced by an extended cutscene. Alien's crawling is really janky compared to the previous game's. Aliens and Predator's melee systems are pretty basic. Pulse rifle is underpowered and explosions don't harm enemies unless they're actually being touched by the fireball.

Moofers

AVP 2010 is the better game here. I put some time into ACM last night and I've found that the campaign is pretty awful. There are some really cool ideas explored (the level with no weapons, the chase where giant alien will slam through the doors you've welded, etc.) but those are few and far between in a long run of endless battles with boring human enemies where you're equipped with boring and unsatisfying weapons.

Multiplayer is actually pretty fun when its not lagging like hell. They need to address that, because if they don't, the game is complete trash. If its fixed, I will definitely revisit the multiplayer. The best part is the Left 4 Dead style game where Aliens have to stop the Marines as they try to go from point A to point B.

That said, AVP had great multiplayer too. The only problem it has now is that nobody plays it anymore, so at this time, ACM wins by default. If you just examine the campaigns though, AVP wins by a landslide. Its just more polished, better designed, and far more varied due to multiple perspectives. I'm happy to see the game finally get some due respect after it got shat on by uppity reviewers who were tired of Aliens but are suddenly all huge fans 3 years later and really disappointed in ACM.

Never understood the hate for AVP 2010. Only issueI had was that the AI was not to hot, but it looks genius compard to how bad it is in A:CM

El_Six

Neo Member
AvP 2010 was overlooked because it was bad. Personally I'm enjoying CM much more than AvP, considering that AvP was so un-fun that I stopped playing it.

I liked AVP 2010 but I'm enjoying Colonial Marines much more.

Have to agree here I played AvP 2010 and just something about it made me not want it at all. This one so far has kept my attention, yeah it has its flaws but for some reason it just seems better then what the reviews are saying it's not a 10 but it is enjoyable and that usually (to me) matters.

iecYcs9xcxkuV.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I do like the Marine Campaign on AvP, it is tough at times but boy is it over too quickly.

I need to play the Predator and Alien parts too.

I dunno for my Alien fix I am going to play infestation again, som Alien Bread and Doom 3 (yeah ok it is about demons but hell who cares) and Dead space 1 and 2.

I even have AvP2 off of steam, so will play that on my cruddy old laptop

Jharp

It was boring, and predictable, and super, super repetitive. Was pretty though.

Meh, you could say the same for most modern AAA shooters, including trash I've heard you rave about on Rebel FM. I would call Gears, Dead Space, and Halo all boring, and painfully repetitive, they just have high prod. values. Unless you're going to sit here and tell me that Halo 4 wasn't the same shit we'd be doing for ten years, Gears 3 wasn't the same fucking game that came out in 2006 with a bit more polish, and don't get me started on Dead Space 3. I had to stop playing at Chapter 7 because holy shit, I've fucking done it before, and done it better.

Top Bottom