• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 to be revealed around GDC in March

Rumors, leaks, hype, lots of speculation everywhere!

Sony and Microsoft are preparing "special Apple-style press conferences" to reveal their next-generation consoles "near the Game Developers Conference in late March", a new Game Informer report has alleged.

The magazine suggests that both platform holders will reveal the hardware around GDC, which takes place in San Francisco between March 25-29, before showing off next-gen titles at E3.

"We hear that both Sony and Microsoft are targeting special Apple-style press conferences to unveil their platforms near the Game Developers Conference in late March," reads the report in the magazine's February 2013 issue.

"E3 in June may be the industry's biggest event, but both companies want to give their systems their own limelight.

"That doesn't mean E3 won't be without its surprises. Next-gen games will be announced at the convention in preparation for the systems' release at the end of the year."

The magazine also suggests that PlayStation 4, rumored to be codenamed Orbis, may be targeting a release ahead of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox.

"We hear that Sony in particular is determined not to come out last this time like the PlayStation 3 did this generation, so we'll have to see how soon it can get the PlayStation 4 out the door, and whether Microsoft is motivated to prevent this from happening."

The report appears to contradict alleged comments from Sony Home Entertainment VP Hiroshi Sakatomi during last week's CES.

The exec suggested that the imminent reveal of a next-generation PlayStation was indeed on the cards, but that the firm would be waiting until "May at least" for its announcement.

Certain developers are expected to have received devkits for Sony and Microsoft's next-generation systems already.

Back in November, the founder of Just Cause 2 developer Avalanche Studios tweeted that the studio was shipping back Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 devkits to make room for next-generation consoles.

Source

Striek

I doubt there would be any timely news like this written for a magazine weeks ago. Would've leaked before now.

Wynnebeck

Banned
NO! We will not do this. It's much too early.

FULL STEAM AHEAD! AHAHAHAHAHA!

dJbyx.png

Makes sense with the previous rumor that we saw this morning about them releasing in Q3 this year. Gives plenty of options to get in front of the public.

Reveal in Q1
E3 in Q2
TGS in Q3

Launch end of Q3/beginning Q4

"The report appears to contradict alleged comments from Sony Home Entertainment VP Hiroshi Sakatomi during last week's CES."

It doesn't. It actually supports his statement that Sony might be doing an early reveal.

Here's what I want:

March - Console revealed at GDC. Console specs and trailer for few of the titles. Developers reveal a few games at PAX East. Some show "target gameplay" running in PC.
June - Games and services revealed at E3. Live demos and showcases. Some will be playable.
September - Playable demos at Eurogamer Expo. Price and other Japanese titles and services revealed at TGS.
November - Release.

DO IT!

DO IT!!

I think announcing before E3 makes much more sense for both companies so I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not interested in any current gen game (except Dark Souls II) beyond May so you might as well get the hype train on next gen rolling now. I'm already putting money aside.

Mokubba

Would they really announce the PS4 before The Last of us comes out? May still sounds like the best time to announce it.

H3xum

Makes sense for Microsoft since they don't have any huge 1st party games or exclusives coming out soon, but I don't know about Sony doing it for that reason

Let's hope Microsoft learned their lesson after the Surface event/conference/spectacle.

Great conference, they really hyped and pushed the product well but they didn't give any information regarding price or at least a semblance of a date. By the time the actual Surface came out, so much love had faded.

Sid

I'll not be hyped by another 'insider' rumor be it true or false,there has to be some official info like sony and MS announcing these conferences or a major leak.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, back when Game Informer still ran a rumor column, their track record was impeccable.

No clue if they still have the same sources since it's been about a year since then.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if sony is rushing for a release before xbox lets hope they dont fuck it up and have problems like the xbox360 did at first. thats not something sony wants to happen

If Sony are to launch first, wouldn't their chips have to be in production now? Doesn't the lack of leaks on their silicon production and developers not having final dev kits mean that there's no way they can reach market in Sept-Oct?

whether orbs comes out in sept, oct, or 1 week earlier in nov, launching first by a month or two isnt materially relevant. Kind of stupid.

the better idea is that theyre aiming for general release date parity.

also, i really wish this was true, but i'm kind of suspicious. seems too good to be true (and theres that other report about sony unveiling ps4 in may or later)

maybe they will get into a game of reveal-chicken, though. dont want to be late to the party.

Derrick01

Banned
The constant rumors and speculation about new consoles is draining. It's like a presidential election almost, stretching back a few years. Can we just get it over with now?

The constant rumors and speculation about new consoles is draining. It's like a presidential election almost, stretching back a few years. Can we just get it over with now?

i'm with you on that, it's just frustrating. Especially when the talk consisting of "something, maybe, coming MONTHS"

TriGen

The amount of rumors since the start of the new year has been incredible. Nothing gets me hyped for video games like next-gen announcements.

As for this, I could totally see Microsoft announcing in March. Sony, I am inclined to believe that May is their target, but obviously I wouldn't be surprised at anything -- and if they want to launch in October to get out a little bit before Microsoft, then maybe they feel the same way about the announcement and don't want to wait.

neptunes

Makes more sense for Microsoft to unveil theirs early, but Sony? Not so much.

They still have some high profile games coming out this this year.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmmm.

Another 'PS4 might come out ahead of Durango' rumour (however shortly).

Still think that even if it was to happen, we'd be talking about a Japanese launch and not a NA one necessarily. I know there's plenty of protest that Sony should release in the US first, but it's hard for me to imagine them putting anywhere ahead of Japan.

Anyway, talk of March reveals is a more heartening than talk of May/E3 reveals.

Top Bottom