• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware fire-fighting reactions to SWtOR's 'gay ghetto' planet

nickcv

update2:

just some clarifications, thanks to Veezy

Again, for those who missed it, and will hopefully read this.

It's not "pay 2 gay" (well it is kinda, but whatever). Many players have been clamoring for SGR in the game since release. Due to the way companions are heavily integrated into the story line and the way EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE is fully voice acted, there's no feasible way to go back and make some of the companions have a SGR options.

This is because they'd have to (A) write new lines of dialogue then (B) get the original voice actors to record the new lines of dialogue then (C) redesign the dialogue trees and animation to allow these new options over 50 levels of MMO gameplay all while deciding who is going to go (D) from complete straight characters to bi or gay characters while considering that (E) some people will have already romanced the newly gay/bi characters and figuring out how that integrates into your PCs story line.

So, Bioware decided to add a same gender romance option to new characters you will meet on the new digital expansion. Yes, it's behind a paywall because the new content is an expansion, not part of the free to play. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of the content and keeping it from free players. You do not have to rub your alien penis on their alien penis. In addition, future releases in TOR will have more SGR options, which you won't have to pursue. This is simply done this way to add something to the game they've been promising to include since beta.

It's in no way segregation. Your character hasn't ran into the option to ever be gay before. No body of the same gender has ever came on to your character before. All that's happening is your character is running into somebody that happens to be gay and flirty with you, should you pursue it. This happens to be part of a planet with five more levels of gameplay for end game players that buy the expansion pack (which, you don't have to actually be subscribed in order to buy it).

Granted, it's piss poor from due to "is my guy/gal that fucking sexy this person is just coming onto them" standpoint, but the ENTIRE game is that way, this includes the straight relationships.

This is not an issue.

--

Fox News said:
‘Star Wars’ game segregates gay characters on gay planet
Published January 14, 2013

Despite vocal opposition from thousands of angry gamers, a software developer has added support for homosexual relationships to the game “Star Wars: The Old Republic” -- albeit just on a single planet.

“As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of,” wrote BioWare’s Jeff Hickman, executive producer of “Star Wars: The Old Republic,” in a blog post last week. He revealed that same-gender romances (or SGR) would be allowed on the planet Makeb, and the company is “pursuing more SGR options in the future.”

The gay planet will appear only in an expansion pack called “Rise of the Hutt Cartel,” and it will include characters with canned, flirtatious dialog for same-sex players. The move has generated controversy among everyone involved, with some calling for a separation of sexual preference from the game, and others lambasting what they say feel like digital segregation.

In a heated debate on the company’s webservers, the topic received more attention than the ongoing drought on Tatooine or the Empire’s latest Death Star.

“Well it's good to see the SGR people are getting some attention. They've only been asking for the option since beta,” one player noted. Publisher Electronic Arts has been wrestling with the issue for months, after promising in April 2012to stand up against what was described as “several thousand” letters and emails protesting the inclusion of same sex content in its games.

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment," Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications, told Games Industry International at the time.

It was no April Fool’s joke, however, and some gamers remain vehemently opposed.

Others were more strongly unified against same sex relationships than the rebel alliance.

“Star Wars is a family based story with nothing to do with SGR,” one gamer wrote on the forums. “Please, please, please Bioware, Lucasarts, and EA do not allow SGR in Star Wars The Old Republic. It will ruin the game and make a lot of people leave it.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01...s-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/#ixzz2I3HpLZ6f

---

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ighting-reactions-to-swtors-gay-ghetto-planet

EA and Bioware have come under pressure from both sides for the introduction of same-sex relationships to the Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.

The new options to romance "companion" NPCS will be restricted to one planet, itself part of the content only available to paying customers rather than those taking advantage of the game's free-to-play sections, upsetting both those who campaigned for and against their inclusion.

Whilst Bioware has a good track record of offering non-heterosexual romance options in its games, attracting the ire of religious and homophobic groups for the inclusion of SGR in the Mass Effect series and its plans to do so for Star Wars, the decision to restrict them solely to Makeb for the time being has upset many who had campaigned for their introduction. As a result, Bioware and EA have been accused of marginalising, ghettoising or segregating non-heterosexual romance.

Although it represents a marked improvement on the views of same sex relationships expressed in any number of games historically, the decision to put these options behind a paywall instead of adding them to existing areas has also attracted accusations of exploitation - arguing that EA is trying to squeeze what cash it can from those players who wish to engage in the new romances.

On top of that, Bioware's forums are also ablaze with the fury of those Star Wars fans who feel that homosexuality has no place in the fictitious universe, calling for a return to intergalactic family values, albeit ones which are happy to allow inter-species coupling, genocide and the ruthless pursuit of absolute power at any cost.

In a blog post discussing the game's developmental progress, executive producer Jeff Hickman addresses the issue.

"First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game," Hickman writes. "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of."

Oh, so gay romances are only allowed on that one planet?

I agree, that is somewhat marginalizing. Not sure why they thought that was an appropriate idea.

Omikaru

Did they really ghetto gay relationships to a single planet? And behind a paywall of all things? Jesus fucking Christ, Bioware. I don't think they could've handled this any worse, unless they gave in to the anti-gay campaigners and didn't include it at all out of fear of "promoting gay relationships" or some crap.

Every time I read something about SWTOR, I increasingly think the game just needs to be taken out back and shot.

Grakl

This whole situation is hilarious. How do you think up segregating a whole population in a video game without understanding what you're doing?

Darklord

Banned
EA got a perfect score for equal gay rights in the workplace, have had several gay characters in their games. EA might be a lot of shitty things but against gays they aren't. And exploiting to get more cash over romances? That's just fucking stupid.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll copy something someone said on the other thread, because i think what he said make more sense than the usual "WTF stupid Bioware" posts on this forum.

Wow, talk about taking things HUGELY out of context.

The only thing that's happened here is that Bioware has included NPCs that can be flirted with by members of the same gender because people have been asking for same gender romance since the game launched. SWTOR is heavily based around fully voiced dialogue and animated cutscenes and adding new content like this is very expensive. The first opportunity they had to add this content was with Makeb which has been in production since well before they went free to play. Ideally people wanted their companions to be romancable by the same sex, as some are by the opposite sex, but it simply didn't make sense from a story or financial point of view to go back and recording all new dialogue and alter the existing content for that. Instead they'll include that with new content going forward. It's really not that controversial or complicated.

Man, some of the overreactions in here are just staggering.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For additional content being added after the game has been out for a while, I can understand how they came to this solution to address the issue. Adding something like that into the game so late runs a lot of risks of glitching things up, causing unforeseen problems, etc.

But I am surprised no one stopped this and pointed out how, to the general, public, bad this sounds. It being kept to one planet sends all sorts of tones and unintended messages, and to have to pay to be gay...

But I don't think they are bad for doing this. People can say what they will, but Bioware and EA are ahead of many, MANY companies on gay equality.

Darklord

Banned
I'll copy something someone said on the other thread, because i think what he said make more sense than the usual "WTF stupid Bioware" posts on this forum.

It's too late. The swarm is already active. It can't be stopped until the harvest is complete.

Gannd

Banned
It is very expensive to retrofit the whole game for a feature that very few will use. The fact that it includes all content going forward should show that they aren't out to be mean to anyone.

nickcv

It is very expensive to retrofit the whole game for a feature that very few will use. The fact that it includes all content going forward should show that they aren't out to be mean to anyone.

that's true, problem is that people are getting the wrong message out of this, and honestly they could have easily predict that

glaurung

This is the worst solution yet.

EA: you can totally have your same-sex couples, as long as they stick to that back alley over there. So that normal players don't have to see any of that.

Meh.

Foshy

Isn't that actually kind of realistic? Just like in real life, gay marriage is allowed in some countries/planets but isn't in others.

The real problem is that this one modern, liberal planet is hidden behind a paywall.

planet-destroying-weapon-pic.jpg

Start again Bioware

Is this really Bioware's fault? Or is Lucasfilms (and now Disney) being a little wary of inflammatory mainstream articles from people shocked by icky homo-smex in their precious Star Wars universe?

Also it's probably marginally easier to dump them all in one planet then try and spread them around to existing ones.

Also I am still bitter this wasn't in there from the start, for the single month I played.

This quote is probably worth adding to the Op.

Raxus

Taking it from both sides.

There has to be a better way to say that. /AD

I don't see why they didn't quietly patch this into the game for all planets that way it is a gay rights win and the people who would bitch about would see how little it affects their lives/game.

jchap

This is the stupid mess you can wade into when you put a completely unnecessary and silly feature like romancing NPCs into a game.

sangreal

Another argument against focus-group forum driven game design. This was a terrible attempt to pacify the people who threw a fit when the game launched without same-sex [Flirt] options. They really should have stuck with the original design, and introduced same-sex aspects if that is the direction the story took them naturally* rather than forcing it. Are games art, or not?

*Before you ask, yes, they forced it in. They said they would do as much when the game launched, and the terrible solution they came up with makes it obvious anyway.

FyreWulff

Taking it from both sides.

There has to be a better way to say that. /AD

I don't see why they didn't quietly patch this into the game for all planets that way it is a gay rights win and the people who would bitch about would see how little it affects their lives/game.

It's no different than FEATURE_X in any other MMO only being on a new planet / cluster / continent because they have to rebuild the previous continents/planets/galaxies to support the new functionality.

In this case, since they're fully voiced and scripted, the homosexual relationship functionality only appears on a single planet because that planet is part of the latest expansion and the content was built with the new functionality in mind.

Draft

Gay people are complaining about this? IRL they can only marry in a few states. In KOTOR they have an entire planet.

Haunted

On top of that, Bioware's forums are also ablaze with the fury of those Star Wars fans who feel that homosexuality has no place in the fictitious universe
What's the reasoning for this? Just homophobia?

If we really want to approach it this way, we might as well go all in.

Added a second article to the OP.
just saw the source. :lol oh my

Taruranto

On top of that, Bioware's forums are also ablaze with the fury of those Star Wars fans who feel that homosexuality has no place in the fictitious universe, calling for a return to intergalactic family values, albeit ones which are happy to allow inter-species coupling, genocide and the ruthless pursuit of absolute power at any cost.

Lol, got any link?

so....
pay to play was bad..
free to play wasn't so lucrative..
and they went pay to gay?
this is really discriminating.... and quite offensive...
i'm not really fond of homosexuality as a concept but this... being a move from a corporation... is really stupid...
I can't really decide if the heads of bioware have gone stupid OR they want to sink bioware with their own hands...

Famassu

I like it how that one idiot gamer quoted in the news article is all "it's a family game", as if gay characters are some R rated, disgusting stuff that shouldn't be shown to minors or something. We should have as many gay characters in games as possible AND NOT MAKE A BIG POINT about it. That should help with making clear that there's really nothing special about gay people being around & living their lives amongst other people.

Top Bottom