• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

alf717

Any Sega die hards here do any mods to their Genesis? I'm looking into doing the Crystal clear audio mod and adding S-video / stereo. I know the S-video would look great but the CCA mod looks a bit complex.

Teknoman

Is this a legit MD cartridge?

jHbKckY1LIW54.png

Sapiens

Just realized it's from hit-japan, so probably nothing to worry about.

You're fine. Here's mine:

And here's a Strider Bootleg (you can tell by the cut of the sticker - upon boot, the SEGA logo is garbled (another clear sign of a HK-boot)):

And another Strider Bootleg (this one is a fucking nightmare):

And a part of my MD collection. Sorry about the glare - that's ZeroWing and Super Shinobi II. My favorite of all these is the original, original, copyright infringing version of Super Shinobi <3<3

Teknoman

Whoever the guy is, must have bidded alot on it...

Well at any rate, I always hear about how your base belong to us, but how is Zero Wing as a game? Also man Mega Drive covers look much better than Genesis alot of the time...

Whoever the guy is, must have bidded alot on it...

Well at any rate, I always hear about how your base belong to us, but how is Zero Wing as a game? Also man Mega Drive covers look much better than Genesis alot of the time...

As a shooter it's not bad. But in general there's probably other shmups for Genesis/Sega CD you should be buying first.

IrishNinja

very much so, i don't know if US Gold did anything before besides ports but...man it's hard for me not to like a Strider game, but this one really wants that

BosSin

Is the Phantasy Star 2 map on A3 paper?
I have seen some prices on ebay which are reasonable for the game without the map.
So was thinking that, if I were to buy it, a good idea would be to find some way to get my own printed version of the map.
That way I could have the game, box, manual and map (lol) for a reasonable price.
I found a good quality image online:

Bah, I found out the Grind Stormer cart I bought a month and a half ago is dead. I tried to clean it every which way but it just won't come back on. I have the paste, the eraser, everything :(

Man, Mega Bomberman is really cool, and it supports my multi-tap. It has unique characters, though from what the instructions say, they only really change when being used by the CPU.

Tain

Holy heck, really? How so?

Surprised me too, had to google. According to Sega-16:

FYI, the U.S. release of Grind Stormer did have a defective print run. It seems like Tengen of America was using cheap plastic PCBs inside the cartridge, and as a result a good number of them didn’t work. If you see Grind Stormer in the wild beware, as it could be a defective copy. If you’re into imports you can hunt down the Japanese Mega Drive release V-5, but like most Japanese Tengen releases it will cost a good bit of money (around $75 complete). Unlike the U.S. release, there have been no reports of defective print runs for the Japanese run. Personally, I would go for the Japanese version because the packaging destroys the American release hands down.

I don't think I could justify playing a home port of the game either way, though.

Is the Phantasy Star 2 map on A3 paper?
I have seen some prices on ebay which are reasonable for the game without the map.
So was thinking that, if I were to buy it, a good idea would be to find some way to get my own printed version of the map.
That way I could have the game, box, manual and map (lol) for a reasonable price.
I found a good quality image online:

Not having the hintbook that came with the game is a much bigger deal than missing the overworld maps. Making it through the dams and the Nei-weapon dungeons without the maps in the hintbook is brutal.

Game Guru

If I already own Bomberman '94 and Saturn Bomberman would it still be worth the buy?

No... Mega Bomberman is a port of Bomberman '94. Basically, the TurboGrafx bombed outside of Japan so Hudson decided to port Bomberman '94 to the West for the Genesis/Mega Drive, which is what Mega Bomberman is.

IrishNinja

HNNGGGH just lost this auction for some empty cases....its tricky getting them for less than $3 each. im still watching several game lots (mostly games no one wants) but there's far, far too many with big EA cases ive no need for.
sucks too, cause another 20 or so should do it as far as replacing the uglier universal game cases ive got going. any ideas?

Not having the hintbook that came with the game is a much bigger deal than missing the overworld maps. Making it through the dams and the Nei-weapon dungeons without the maps in the hintbook is brutal.

this cannot be stressed enough, even if said guide will lie to you once in a while. ill prolly print out that map again just to have it, most of what ive bought back are loose copies - i totally forgot that both the PS2 and Sword of Vermillion guide books (both of which i kept) totally dont seem to fit in the cases at all, heh

IrishNinja

well...well no, i mean i can totally use either a YT walkthrough or a gamefaqs gif etc with a laptop/tablet etc nearby

but by god, if going the wrong way in climatrol and having major goddamn deaths spoiled is the way it's meant to be played™ than who are we to argue

IrishNinja

Sega-16 still hasn't approved my forum registration...i wonder if they're gonna end up taking me longer than GAF, haha

for real, largely striking out on ebay: can anyone find me a site/etc that has copies of some sega sports/sonic 2 shit with the case for like $2/2.50 each? stoopid EA cases.

Noahd42

Banned
I have the Phantasy Star 2 hintbook. I found it really difficult to get into the game so I haven't played it in its entirety yet. Where does it stack up with the other Genesis games?

I have the Phantasy Star 2 hintbook. I found it really difficult to get into the game so I haven't played it in its entirety yet. Where does it stack up with the other Genesis games?
It was incredible for its time but maybe it has aged a bit compared to its SNES peers? In particular, the end-game is brutal.

Nevermind, misread the question. There are quite a few dozen Genesis games I would put ahead of it, personally.

gryz

Banned

I've tried so many times to get into PS2 but the insane difficulty is always too much. maybe it would be better if I had that hint book haha

Teknoman

I think i'm either gonna sit down with Phantasy Star 2, Mega Turrican, or Lightening Force. Instead of bouncing between games, I need to stick with a couple and finish them.

For PS2, I should be ok just making my own map right, or is it possible to just...feel your way through? Also are there dungeon saves?

IrishNinja

damn, Mega Turrican and Lightening Force are both on my list, heh

I've tried so many times to get into PS2 but the insane difficulty is always too much. maybe it would be better if I had that hint book haha

japanese PSN shop on PS3 got a Phantasy Star collection with cool options like increasing meseta drop rates and generally making the game easier, a friend/fellow gaffer played through it recently and it was likely much more enjoyable, nei dungeons aside

For PS2, I should be ok just making my own map right, or is it possible to just...feel your way through? Also are there dungeon saves?

ehhh...you could feel your way through but the encounter rate/general challenge is gonna feel quite a bit prohibitive at this point, i'd think.

you don't get dungeon saves until one of the later party members shows up, i forget exactly when but that's possibly the most important bit in the hintbook, because she's a thief and if you know where to go, she can steal an invaluable item to let you save on the spot. up until that point, though, you're on your own!

IrishNinja

ah, true...still, mega turrican, alsia, trouble shooter etc would be great for finding loose carts later. the price is good so far, but the real auction typically starts under the 1 minute mark.

IrishNinja

jesus, those poor games

and yeah, sonic 2 japanese art makes me want a repost of that "dont let the sun make fun of you" ad, that was so great. blue skies forever!

IrishNinja

hahaha LOOKS LEGIT

wait, was Punisher a port of the awesome 2-player beat-em-up with Fury? even so, yeah that price seems way too high. sucks that everyone i knew had x-men 1/2, awful captain america & avengers game but not that one.

Top Bottom