• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

hahaha LOOKS LEGIT

wait, was Punisher a port of the awesome 2-player beat-em-up with Fury? even so, yeah that price seems way too high. sucks that everyone i knew had x-men 1/2, awful captain america & avengers game but not that one.

Yeah. I remember renting the Genesis port as a kid.

I didn't play the actual arcade game until years later on the retro floor of Disney Quest. It was awesome though because I played through it with the same person I played the Genesis game with years earlier. THE FEELS, MAN.

this is a decent deal for anyone looking for official sega six-button controllers,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sega-genisis-/171011837436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d1198dfc
I dunno, those look more like the ones that came with the Genesis 3 - the not-so-good ones, in other words.

And in response to another post: I haven't played Captain America and the Avengers, but it has some pretty good music. Helps that Hitoshi Sakamoto worked on the conversion, methinks; he may be more remembered for things like Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII and Radiant Silvergun, but he did pretty good work with the Genesis hardware, I've found.

I dunno, those look more like the ones that came with the Genesis 3 - the not-so-good ones, in other words.

And in response to another post: I haven't played Captain America and the Avengers, but it has some pretty good music. Helps that Hitoshi Sakamoto worked on the conversion, methinks; he may be more remembered for things like Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII and Radiant Silvergun, but he did pretty good work with the Genesis hardware, I've found.

Yep. Loved his work on Genesis Gauntlet IV.

He also worked on Midnight Resistance, which might go a fair ways into explaining why it sounds so much better than the arcade version's music.

Teknoman

I've been looking into Midnight Resistance, music aside, does it still stand up gameplay wise? Can never have enough run and gun.

Wouldn't know. The soundtrack's literally the extent of my experience with the game.

I do know the arcade used a rotary input to control which direction you were aiming, which the Genesis controller obviously doesn't have. I forget if this made the port difficult to play when taken on its own, although obviously it would make it more difficult to play when compared to the arcade cabinet.

IrishNinja

yeah, it was a fun rental in the day but i havent played it since, felt like an interesting contra clone where you have to save your family.

water-damaged cases auction went > $100 with shipping of course, looks like i'll keep printing these things out, heh

woodypop

I've been looking into Midnight Resistance, music aside, does it still stand up gameplay wise? Can never have enough run and gun.
Personally, I find it a little slow paced, and the jumping is floaty. It's got some interesting mechanics (crawling, weapon upgrade system, fixed shots) to set it apart, but I MUCH prefer Hard Corps. But it's not a bad game. Worth checking out, at least if you can find it for cheap.

Tain

I generally don't do arcade ports, but are there any other MD games like Chelnov? Essentially remakes of arcade games? Chelnov is a really rare case in my mind.

I guess Gauntlet/Gauntlet IV is the closest thing I can think of. Anything else?

IIRC Sunset Riders on the Genesis is so different that it's practically an entirely new game (as opposed to the SNES version, which is a fairly authentic port of the arcade original - just with at most 2 players, instead of 4).

IIRC Sunset Riders on the Genesis is so different that it's practically an entirely new game (as opposed to the SNES version, which is a fairly authentic port of the arcade original - just with at most 2 players, instead of 4).

This is true. 2P only, totally different levels, some levels cut, and so on. Still a fun game in its own right, although def. not for fans of the arcade version looking for a home port.

Well, not just 2P only. In the SNES version, you can choose from all four characters: Billy (blue), Bob (green), Cormano (pink) and Steve (yellow). In the Genesis version, this is trimmed to just Billy and Cormano. A real shame, because I like playing as green characters when the opportunity arises...

The bonus stage is apparently also different: while the arcade and SNES games feature what basically amounts to an old arcadey target shoot segment, the Genesis version has you chasing on horseback after a damsel on a carriage, who throws out tons of goodies your way.

Gilgamesh

Just dropping in to say I love the Genesis and that even though I'm American there's no denying that Mega Drive is an infinitely better name.

Also Contra: Hard Corps is the best Contra game! Love it.

Peace.

Genesis actually had some great PC ports for the time. Played a shit ton of Pirates Gold, and Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday is one of the most underrated rpgs of all time.

I don't think Golden Axe 2 or 3 even had arcade versions.

Golden Axe 2 didn't really have an arcade version, but there is an arcade sequal to the first golden axe, but its completely different from the console sequels, and really is a very different game in art style than golden axe 1. excellent though.

Golden Axe 2 didn't really have an arcade version, but there is an arcade sequal to the first golden axe, but its completely different from the console sequels, and really is a very different game in art style than golden axe 1. excellent though.

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder is the best Golden Axe game. Freaking insane that Sega put Golden Axe: The Duel on Saturn instead of RoDA. Insane.

Genesis actually had some great PC ports for the time. Played a shit ton of Pirates Gold, and Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday is one of the most underrated rpgs of all time.

IMO, graphically superior to what SSI had on the PCs at the time. I much prefer the isometric view over the first-person dungeon perspective. Navigation was easier and in combat, it was well animated. Characters actually looked like they were walking.

Teknoman

Two things to say after deciding what game to focus on and testing Elemental Master (arrived today).

EM is like...a vertical Lords of Thunder, and has an awesome soundtrack as expected from Technosoft (Tecnosoft?) At first it seemed really challenging, then I decided to just start from the first stage instead of picking a random level. Rescued an elemental spirit that works like an option, and she really made the game difficulty abit easier to take. Then I ran into a brick wall at the 5th stage lol. All in all, its a pretty good shooter, and it seems like it'll be fun to run through every so often. Dunno if there is anything after the 5th stage since the boss seemed to be sort of a final showdown deal.

As for Mega Turrican?

I was wrong when I said Super Turrican had the better soundtrack.

Two things to say after deciding what game to focus on and testing Elemental Master (arrived today).

EM is like...a vertical Lords of Thunder, and has an awesome soundtrack as expected from Technosoft (Tecnosoft?) At first it seemed really challenging, then I decided to just start from the first stage instead of picking a random level. Rescued an elemental spirit that works like an option, and she really made the game difficulty abit easier to take. Then I ran into a brick wall at the 5th stage lol. All in all, its a pretty good shooter, and it seems like it'll be fun to run through every so often. Dunno if there is anything after the 5th stage since the boss seemed to be sort of a final showdown deal.

This is just from my memory so it might be a bit fuzzy. There are 4 stages to select where you collect your "weapon" after defeating the boss. Then there are 3 more stages to finish the game.

Do you have the NA or JP version? I believe the cut-scene at the beginning pretty much explains the story.

IIRC, Super Turrican and Mega Turrican both have the same soundtrack, more or less. I mean, Mega Turrican came first, then Turrican 3 (same game, but the Amiga port that, due to a bit of licensing kerfuffle, actually came out before the Genesis game it was a port of!), then Super Turrican...

Teknoman

NA version. Figured there had to be more, since the fifth boss didnt look like his brother.

Oh that must have been Clauss.

IIRC, Super Turrican and Mega Turrican both have the same soundtrack, more or less. I mean, Mega Turrican came first, then Turrican 3 (same game, but the Amiga port that, due to a bit of licensing kerfuffle, actually came out before the Genesis game it was a port of!), then Super Turrican...

Yeah I noticed both had the same Stage 1-1, 1-2, and boss themes, but i've never heard 2-1 in Super Turrican. Then again, the last time I played Super was years ago.

IrishNinja

man i wanna trade in all my excess/dupe carts on estarland but id only get about $55 for a bunch of em (granted, mostly crap) and right now the only stuff they have in stock that i'd want is a $20 (loose) copy of Gaiares, maybe The Haunting. $10 for a loose copy of Golvellius is too much...slim fuckin' pickens.
i get Phantasy Star 1 i guess, but Arrow Flash, Super Off Road, even Alex Kidd and Alien Storm? cmon now!

ps i maybe be solo here, but Alien Storm > Golden Axe

yeah? i just heard about the SNES having more characters...if i love westerns & dig side scrolling shooters, is it good on its own? the SNES version is one of the few left on my list for that system, too.

...I'm American there's no denying that Mega Drive is an infinitely better name.

Peace.

can't abide the first statement, but the 2nd one is the right kind've bold.

IrishNinja

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder is the best Golden Axe game. Freaking insane that Sega put Golden Axe: The Duel on Saturn instead of RoDA. Insane.

i only know about this game cause of the hardcore gaming 101 book...gonna look for it on MAME one day. drives me nuts that we've got definitive Space Harrier, Outrun, After Burner etc stuff but what looks like the pinnacle of that series got left out for 2 hardware cycles.

smbu2000

Just dropping in to say I love the Genesis and that even though I'm American there's no denying that Mega Drive is an infinitely better name.

Peace.
Even though i currently have a JP Mega drive/Mega CD, I still prefer the Genesis name as that's what I grew up with and my Genesis 2 (and 32x) is still at my parent's house in the U.S.

I still need to pick up Contra HC. I just need to find it for a decent price.

man i wanna trade in all my excess/dupe carts on estarland but id only get about $55 for a bunch of em (granted, mostly crap) and right now the only stuff they have in stock that i'd want is a $20 (loose) copy of Gaiares, maybe The Haunting. $10 for a loose copy of Golvellius is too much...slim fuckin' pickens.
i get Phantasy Star 1 i guess, but Arrow Flash, Super Off Road, even Alex Kidd and Alien Storm? cmon now!

Golvellius is a cool game once you get into the the rhythm of slashing everything to find the hidden caves on each screen, but I wouldn't pay $10 for a loose cart either.

More than any other retro console, people seem to have held onto the boxes of Master System games.

IrishNinja

agreed, ive seen boxed copies of that (and Zillion!) go for about $10. and yeah, i beat Golvellius in the day, just one from a short list i wanted back - and damn that sequel we didn't get

IrishNinja

because it's a mean goddamn game and no one ever beat it ever for reasons like that

related: that title's on a short list in my head with stuff like x-men where i refuse to buy them even on the cheap cause literally every kid on my block had them in the day, one of those dudes is bound to check his garage soon i figure

because it's a mean goddamn game and no one ever beat it ever for reasons like that

I never understood why people found Comix Zone to be hard? I managed to complete the game with both the good and bad endings. Comix Zone is a fairly short game, so they did balance it a bit differently to compensate for the length, but it was never really unfairly balanced.

I've always felt that Mega Turrican had one of the best soundtracks on the Genesis... stuff like this sounds great to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59TfMJfS5XY

SnowTeeth

Banned
I had to cheat via save/load on Kega to beat Comix Zone. Could only get just past the start of the third level normally. Man I suck at video games.

I remember as a kid the furthest I ever got in Comix Zone was all the way to stage 6 but the game glitched out and wouldn't progress. I was crushed.

I eventually bought the game on Blockbuster clearance and beat it some time later.
Funny enough, somehow the used Blockbuster copy still managed to contain the original cardboard case and bonus CD sampler (but no manual).

I remember as a kid the furthest I ever got in Comix Zone was all the way to stage 6 but the game glitched out and wouldn't progress. I was crushed.

I eventually bought the game on Blockbuster clearance and beat it some time later.
Funny enough, somehow the used Blockbuster copy still managed to contain the original cardboard case and bonus CD sampler (but no manual).

The Comix Zone cart I had as a kid locked up all the time. I re-bought it last year but I haven't played it enough to see if it freezes, too.

sibarraz

Banned
I'm the only who thinks that comix zone is a horrible game? sure it's beautiful and all that, but the gameplay is so bad and boring that I could never past to the third stage, or didn't want to try either

ascii42

I'm the only who thinks that comix zone is a horrible game? sure it's beautiful and all that, but the gameplay is so bad and boring that I could never past to the third stage, or didn't want to try either

I don't know. Don't think I've played the game since I reached that age where I learned that games could even be "bad"

It's not an especially good game, no, but perhaps out of nostalgia, I still like it well enough.

yeah? i just heard about the SNES having more characters...if i love westerns & dig side scrolling shooters, is it good on its own? the SNES version is one of the few left on my list for that system, too.
Couldn't say, haven't played either to any real extent.

BosSin

I wouldn't call Comix Zone boring, as it has one of the most varied combat systems in a beat-em-up game

It's a very original game with some exceptional ideas, top-notch presentation, and execution that seems to actually make good on the original vision. That said, it's kind of glitchy and too hard. All that levels out to make an interesting, "good" game, if not a great one.

I can typically make it up to Stage 2-1 or 2-2, assuming the jump at the very end of 1-1 doesn't do me in (I'm sorry, it's just kinda hard to do a running jump in this game!).

gryz

Banned
The Comix Zone cart I had as a kid locked up all the time. I re-bought it last year but I haven't played it enough to see if it freezes, too.

lol didnt realize this was so common. this happened any time I tried to rent the game.. I would stupidly rent it again thinking they had replaced the bad copy. I think it happens on the Gamecenter CX episode as well.

Top Bottom