• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

smbu2000

got a boxed copy of Trouble Shooter for $18 shipped. It's in pretty rough shape with a big blockbuster sticker on the cart, but not bad considering the cheapest copy on amazon is $35

fun game. the story sequences are ridiculous.
Nice, how is it? I've been wanting to pick this up along with the sequel, but they're always priced high whenever I see them. Still waiting to see if I can find a good deal on them.

woodypop

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have any idea where I could find an affordable copy of a Japanese "Bare Knuckle 3"? I've been looking for a long time but those BiN prices on eBay are just ridiculous, and I haven't had any luck seeing one anywhere else.
I'm located in Europe so I am not asking about local stores. But maybe some nifty Japanse online retailer I haven't heard of yet, or something like that?
I wouldn't mind having the Mega Drive cart, but in the meantime I get my BK3 fix via the JPN PS2 Sonic Gems Collection. BK3 is one of many unlockables.

B1874A10-0BC1-45CF-A8C9-AFE8AC6CA42E-9112-000008BFFAF7FD44_zps541c59fe.jpg

But checking recent ebay listings, that might not be a much less inexpensive alternative.

Samuray

I've only seen it for around 50-60 bucks US...

Which would be a lot better than the 80$ of the eBay BiNs. :) Especially if it were 50 or 55. I am well aware that I won't get this one for cheap, but 50$ or a little bit more would be very reasonable.

Where could I find it? Or were you talking locally?
Man, I really need "Bare Knuckle 3" in my life.

I've been listening to the Dragon's Fury/Devil Crash MD soundtrack and It's awesome. I need to dig out my PC Engine and listen to the music in the original Devil's Crush, but I don't remember them being as great as these Technosoft beats. One of my favorites in a bonus song not in the original.

Teknoman

Which would be a lot better than the 80$ of the eBay BiNs. :) Especially if it were 50 or 55. I am well aware that I won't get this one for cheap, but 50$ or a little bit more would be very reasonable.

Where could I find it? Or were you talking locally?
Man, I really need "Bare Knuckle 3" in my life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000148JIK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unless you were trying for complete. Of course it doesnt say whether or not if its complete.

...actually I might need to snag one of these for myself. One of the more reasonably priced rare or at least highly sought after Genesis/MegaDrive games (so far).

IrishNinja

as an aside: finally getting into Retronauts, and this 3 part Genesis tribute started out kinda spiteful but the bit im on now - Technosoft's output - is great. anything else like this, feel free to recommend; i love learning about this stuff.

Teknoman

as an aside: finally getting into Retronauts, and this 3 part Genesis tribute started out kinda spiteful but the bit im on now - Technosoft's output - is great. anything else like this, feel free to recommend; i love learning about this stuff.

Which episode was that?

PlayerOne Podcast is doing a show about Mega Drive releases in chronological order called Generation 16. I think it's worth the watch, lots of good trivia and info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCp8i9lrUh4

smbu2000

I'm just wondering why somebody would do this to their MD1/MCD2 combo?

I saw somebody selling this on Yahoo Auctions JP. The back is hastily done so it's not quite white and not quite black. The underside of it is just the standard black.

I can save and show the other pictures as well if people want to see them.

canocha

Yeah!!

Just bought TinTin In Tibet (7€) and Spirou (20€), both PAL version!

Quite uncommon games (especially TinTin in Tibet instead of TinTin au Tibet!

Probably arriving tomorrow!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My Sega Trio M1 arrived today. It's amazingly smaller than the original wall wart from my Genesis (I lost them all, all I have today is the Original SegaCD one).

The front of my Genny 1 + SegaCD 1 combo is really messed up, my house was being sprayed for Fleas and I guess whatever they use for that was sprayed on top of my Genny (around 10 years ago), so it has all those white droplets all over the front (I guess whatever was in the liquid they sprayed ate away the black ink from the plastic).

It used to work without any problems, until a capacitor recently decided to blow up. Now I just need to man up and clean my Genesis mainboard and replace a capacitor to have Genny + SegaCD goodness again!

IrishNinja

yo that white genesis is...man what a waste, at least the CD was a model 2 i guess.

PlayerOne Podcast is doing a show about Mega Drive releases in chronological order called Generation 16. I think it's worth the watch, lots of good trivia and info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCp8i9lrUh4

ah, thanks man - this was posted way earlier, and it turns out one of the guys involved was in this thread too! chronsega is quite a bit further along (started way earlier i think) but that guy...he's knowledgeable, but pretty clearly not a sega fan; hearing him kinda dump on Phantasy Star II was a shame. Generation 16 seems much more fair, though they're very much still in the period of crappy SMS games, heh...can't wait for the next one, seems a bit late though

Yeah!!

Just bought TinTin In Tibet (7€) and Spirou (20€), both PAL version!

Quite uncommon games (especially TinTin in Tibet instead of TinTin au Tibet!

Probably arriving tomorrow!

are any of these particularly good? i love finding gems from this thread

drizzle

Axel Hertz
A white Genesis would be pretty kickass, actually.

If, y'know, the paint job was done competently. Evidently, this one wasn't.

This one looks cool:

SegaWhite-TQcast.jpg

More info at the madness at:
http://segabits.com/blog/2011/07/28/check-out-the-awesome-custom-squid-girl-sega-genesis/
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?19416-White-Mega-Drive

Edit: Oh shit, that's right, how could I forget. We got an official one in Brazil:

HPIM3417.jpg

I don't think it accepted carts though, it was only with a buncha built-in games (like most Genesis released in the past 20 years down here, which is a shame).

We also got this one. which doesn't even look like a Genesis and plays a Guitar Hero-like game for the Genny, with plastic guitars and everything. TecToy is all kinds of crazy.

IrishNinja

see...yeah, that's it! i know i had a pic of that old white one in a magazine somewhere...it's not nearly as awful, just not my thing. there was a white game gear as well, wasn't there?

man retronauts was just as harsh on the master system as chronsega...but to be fair, they (maybe it was jeremy?) did at least name my personal favorites: Phantasy Star, Zillion, Golvelius etc. odd that during the arcade port talk, Shinobi was left out, though. i might've defended The Ninja, there's others i just know i'm forgetting too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
see...yeah, that's it! i know i had a pic of that old white one in a magazine somewhere...it's not nearly as awful, just not my thing. there was a white game gear as well, wasn't there?

That first white genesis I posted is custom made.

Yes, there was a Limited Edition White Gamegear:

$(KGrHqVHJBcE+O!zo+jzBP0IBdQp0g~~60_12.JPG

There were also a Blue and Red ones.

On the other hand, TecToy released this monstrosity, called the Master System Mini:

compacts.jpg

It was a HandHeld Master System that would plug directly to the TV. It was the size of a GameGear. The pink one is the "Girl" version, and comes with "Monica no Castelo do Dragão" (a Wonderboy Modification, all legally made by TecToy) instead of Sonic.

But we shouldn't talk about those anymore, they are not Genesis. :D

On the other hand, TecToy released this monstrosity, called the Master System Mini:

compacts.jpg

It was a HandHeld Master System that would plug directly to the TV. It was the size of a GameGear. The pink one is the "Girl" version, and comes with "Monica no Castelo do Dragão" (a Wonderboy Modification, all legally made by TecToy) instead of Sonic.

Those remind me of the Mega Jet, a Japanese rental Mega Drive meant for airplane rides, IIRC.

128898-thumbnail.jpg

Snatcher for $150? What, was it disc-only or something? Tell me it was disc only D:

compacts.jpg

Nonsense! The Genesis has the Master System built into it! (Although you need a cartridge adapter for it, the only NTSC version of which only fits on the Model 1 Genesis (although it works with the Model 2 one if you hack up the casing), and it isn't compatible with the 32X.)

Nice, how is it? I've been wanting to pick this up along with the sequel, but they're always priced high whenever I see them. Still waiting to see if I can find a good deal on them.

it's a cool game. it's got wacky enemy design, and as a whole doesn't take itself very seriously. the poorly translated cut-scenes are pretty funny.

you pick a special weapon at the beginning of each stage, and pick up power-ups throughout the stage including speed-ups, and options.

you can shoot in both directions, or switch and have both girls shoot in the same direction.

i didn't know there was a sequel until this thread. thinking about picking up this repro of the sequel since i don't see a legit copy for less than $200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battle-Mania-2-II-Sega-Genesis-English-Ntsc-US-aka-Trouble-Shooter-Vintage-2-/290879257503?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item43b9c13b9f

BosSin

No, you don't. Trust me. I have the EA edition.

Well, at least I found your post of the screenshots.
Now I can experience it vicariously through you.

You are right. I bought one at discount (still US$ 100 however) at its launch (hell I am crazy, and I do collect games). I posted some pictures of the system and games in one of the Markman's pickup threads. Let me search for them again...

Need fo Speed is the worst of the package (the others are quite decent actually). It is a port from the mobile game, and it runs like shit.

here they go...

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IrishNinja

props to Guardian for that Snatcher pick-up, retronauts' tribute to it made me remember just how ahead of its time that gem was. still salty i couldn't find it at my local TRU in the day, i desperately needed Sega-CD stuff after beating Lunar like 5 times & would've absolutely adored it.

Well, at least I found your post of the screenshots.
Now I can experience it vicariously through you.

I did a Youtube search for that Need For Speed game and I couldn't believe that it was running on an actual Genesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvEGaCKltTM

It almost looks like a 3D0 game. But after doing a few searches, those four additional games aren't running on the Mega Drive hardware at all. Instead they are just mobile phone games running on a Titan ARM chipset inside the hardware... Eh...

BosSin

I did a Youtube search for that Need For Speed game and I couldn't believe that it was running on an actual Genesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvEGaCKltTM

It almost looks like a 3D0 game. But after doing a few searches, those four additional games aren't running on the Mega Drive hardware at all. Instead they are just mobile phone games running on a Titan ARM chipset inside the hardware... Eh...
Bah, that makes this way less cool and is fucking lame

Top Bottom