• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Obviously everyone's BS detector goes crazy as soon as they see gamefaqs but I'm a little irritated by the specificity of all this. Someone took their time to make this potentially fit if it is fake.

The Red Book, also known as Liber Novus (Latin for New Book), is a 205-page manuscript written and illustrated by Swiss psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung between approximately 1914 and 1930

About the book:

The Red Book was a product of a technique developed by Jung which he termed active imagination. As Jung described it, he was visited by two figures, an old man and a young woman, who identified themselves as Elijah and Salome. They were accompanied by a large black snake. In time, the Elijah figure developed into a guiding spirit that Jung called Philemon (ΦΙΛΗΜΩΝ, as originally written with Greek letters). Salome was identified by Jung as an anima figure. The figures, according to Jung, "brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life."[4]

The Philemon figure represented superior insight and communicated through mythic imagery. The images did not appear to come from Jung's own experience and Jung interpreted them as products of the collective unconscious.

If you wanted to you could make this fit with the Xenoblade universe.

Xenoblade spoilers follow:
The AI that destroyed the old world and created the new Bionis/Mechonis world could be interpreted to work like this part:

The figures, according to Jung, "brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life.

And thus you could imagine how this ties in with Green-eyed Shulk at the end of the X trailer if the X-world also takes places in the same AI or something like that.

The four classes line up with the trailer and the mech, called "Doll" in the trailer footage could indeed have the A.D.S. initialism attached to it (with the D standing for Doll).

But my god, Xenoform is such a terrible title. I hope this is only half true :D

D-e-f-

Banned
What I wanna know is: who spends that much time to make up a rumor like that? lol

You had to find a piece of literature that fits with Takahashi's affinity for philosophical texts from European dudes, then make it fit with the trailer we've seen and let it potentially tie in with the previous game.

wsippel

Banned
If you wanted to you could make this fit with the Xenoblade universe.

Xenoblade spoilers follow:
The AI that destroyed the old world and created the new Bionis/Mechonis world could be interpreted to work like this part:

And thus you could imagine how this ties in with Green-eyed Shulk at the end of the X trailer if the X-world also takes places in the same AI or something like that.
Many/most of the concepts in Xenoblade are based on Monadology by Gottfried Leibniz (1646-1716).

wsippel

Banned
Oh god, this is an actual thing?
It is. It's actually a really, really old concept. To quote Wikipedia on the basic concept itself:

Monad (from Greek μονάς monas, "unit" from μόνος monos, "alone"), according to the Pythagoreans, was a term for Divinity or the first being, or the totality of all beings, Monad being the source or the One meaning without division.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(philosophy)

Remember what
Alvis
actually was?

In physics, a quantum (plural: quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction. Behind this, one finds the fundamental notion that a physical property may be "quantized," referred to as "the hypothesis of quantization".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum

The monad concept also explains many other events in the game.

ido

I will be very, very, very disappointed if this isn't shown at E3 in some capacity. I need more info on this game so goddamn bad right now.

I do not mind the title Xenoform, either. Anytime I see Xeno + Takahashi, I turn into the worst of fanboys imaginable.

Really wishing/hoping Mitsuda has a spot somewhere in this game, though. Nothing beats the Xenogears soundtrack to me.

onilink88

Xenoblade's world wasn't a simulation. It was an actual science experiment used by Klaus to create the world in which he made himself God. Shulk, however, uses that very same AI (Alvis) to return the world to its natural state (which initiated a Big Crunch and then a Big Bang to do so).

The Monado can be thought of as a programming tool in which matter (rather, Ether) can be read and changed by the will the of its wielder.

It's based on the quantum principle that states that matter can be changed by being observed, I think.

There was a gag about it in Futurama where the gang is at a horse race, but a winner couldn't be determined due to how close it was. So the footage of the race had to be viewed under an electron microscope in order to see who it was. Horse number three is deemed the winner "by a quantum finish", and The Professor yells out, "No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"

Correct me if I've got this one wrong, though. :p

As for all of all of the "but he looks like Shulk, so there must be a connection" observations. Maybe I missed it, so would Takahashi fans care to point out what the relationship between these two characters are?

citanuzukiryugaricdeau.jpg

xs3jinuzuki1.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As for all of all of the "but he looks like Shulk, so there must be a connection" observations. Maybe I missed it, so would Takahashi fans care to point out what the relationship between these two characters are?

No connection. The developer just liked the design a lot and reused the design as a reference to the past character and as stated the developer liked the character design.

I think.

ozfunghi

That wasn't the gist of my argument though.

The reveal of the character is obviously for dramatic effect. What dramatic effect would it have if it were meaningless (as in, an unknown character, that is nowhere to be seen in the rest of the trailer) to the viewer? None.

skypunch

Banned
Look closely..Does this guy has same clothes as Shulk? If this is true.. does this scream Xenoblade 2?

ilsnJq8kjVxFM.png

Both of them have the same colour shoulders. Whether they're both wearing shoulder pads remains to be seen. Both of them seem to have the same length in hair. But it's hard to compare the style of both haircuts since we never get to see the face of the black haired protagonist.

onilink88

No connection. The developer just liked the design a lot and reused the design as a reference to the past character and as stated the developer liked the character design.

I think.

Precisely. Jin was likely designed to pay homage to Citan (or function as a giant easter egg). There is no relation between the two in terms of plot continuity (which is what I'm denying).

"Well, he looks like Shulk, so there's gotta be some connection" comments would hold more weight if Xenoblade was made by anyone else but Takahashi. But as things stand, resemblance doesn't imply relation (be in it terms of an alternate universe, a distant relative, or whatever).

The reveal of the character is obviously for dramatic effect. What dramatic effect would it have if it were meaningless (as in, an unknown character, that is nowhere to be seen in the rest of the trailer) to the viewer? None.

But what you see as a dramatic effect (entirely reasonable), I see as a simple red herring. :)

only thing missing now is some beach DLC like in Fire Emblem so NOA can awkwardly censor Shulk's ass behind a curtain like with Tharja. Is it Reyn time!?!!?

New-Xenoblade.jpg

roddur

all this talk about X making me revisit the original thread, want to read peoples excitement. and *i think* duckroll jizzed several times was funny to read :D

Yuterald

Regardless of whether or not these rumors are true, all this talk about philosophy and the Xeno-universe has got me pretty excited about this game. Love all the philosophy and science shit Takahashi puts in his games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Xenoform would sound so boring compared to Gears/Saga/Blade. "Episode I: Liber Novus"...umm, OK?

It was made up I believe. Really sounded like something ripped off from the Phantasy Star series.

------------------------

I hope the mech have customization. And I hope I can wield a battle axe.

D-e-f-

Banned
Regardless of whether or not these rumors are true, all this talk about philosophy and the Xeno-universe has got me pretty excited about this game. Love all the philosophy and science shit Takahashi puts in his games.

And kids, that's how you close out your college applications!

Xenoform sounds like Xenomorph.

fHB2HxL.jpg

Xenoform sounds like Chloroform

Btw, did you notice how Xenomorph is, phonetically speaking, a semi-inverse homonym of Xenoform? Weird shit going on here! lol

Hm, I personally root for Xenowelt.

German localization confirmed! Finally a game title those idiots understand without needing an explanatory subtitle.

onilink88

That's a punishment?

It'd be for me. I love me JRPGs, but if there's one thing I can't stand about them, it's the "mascot" type monsters... characters... whatever. They make me want to eat my own face. The only one I've managed to swallow is Noishe (if he even counts). :p

Speaking of science, there was something interesting Zenaku posted that was overlooked:

As I translated earlier, the attack it uses to cut off the monsters head in the trailer is literally "Anti-Matter Bastard".

Antimatter is the important bit here. If this were Xenoblade's universe, would that not have been called "Antiether"? Am I to take it that X's universe uses actual science? But then there's stuff like floating islands, so... yeah.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
Like there was any doubt. The fact that shit like that is allowed on GameFAQs makes NeoGAF all that much better.

Also, welcome!

Thank you!

Just a small link to calm people's nerves on the name "Xenoform" which sounds absolutely terrible. The thing on picking your class was also pretty unlikeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom