• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
- One of the aspects the developers are particularly proud of is that the world is built over giant robots or something; it was nice, I guess, but the game is so big you never notice that, you can scrap the robots and do a new world, I don't think anyone will miss that.

I'm sorry, but hell no. The backstory and setting are some of the best things that Xenoblade had in its locker.

Besides, I wouldn't want to lose the ability to look up on Bionis and see Mechonis looming in the distance. That was great.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Go play FFXIII, don't ask to streamline something like this.

Yes, they take hours; holy shit actual cities on a RPG this generation. It's a dying breed, don't kill it.FF has lost prominence, you can trust S-E to kill themselves/it.

Big cities are great. I could do without another Alcamoth though.

SodaBeam

Neo Member

Alcamoth was crazy, I can't believe no playtesters told them to put more skip travel points in there. Especially with the quests that ask you to talk to NPCs spread all across the city :/

Okay, true.

But that is because it was an open hub and people would teleport "there" from the dormitories. If anything, Xenoblade cities seemed more empty the further we were in the game, I'm sure they were running out of time, for instance, the city in mechonis should actually have population.

As for alcamoth, it seemed disjointed; we were pretty much calling the palace gardens a city.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alcamoth was crazy, I can't believe no playtesters told them to put more skip travel points in there. Especially with the quests that ask you to talk to NPCs spread all across the city :/

Second level, near the outer wall. Have fun running for 5 minutes just to get to one NPC!

i just got that furball monchichi furby thing. i was happy with the game and this guy....really? am i just over reacting and the game still maintains its greatness?

i mean i could have done with a chu-chu type...

Zornica

Banned
If people changed places it would be there, not exactly where they are, but an area to search for. This is specially frustrating on Frontier Village, I mean they're all basically the same thing the city has like 10 levels, and yet I can't even get a ballpark for their location; floor numbers please? stuff like "0.00 to 6.00 near the plaza" would make a huge difference.

you'r doing it wrong...
I said this many times in the XB OT, but I'll gladly say it again: you don't look for npc where they could be at specific times. you look for them where they spawn. its always the same place, always the same time. I don't get why this is so hard for most people. spawn locations are even displayed on the map by a small blue dot. It's the easiest and fastest method to find npcs (at least in alcamoth and frontier village).

The Boat

you'r doing it wrong...
I said this many times in the XB OT, but I'll gladly say it again: you don't look for npc where they could be at specific times. you look for them where they spawn. its always the same place, always the same time. I don't get why this is so hard for most people. spawn locations are even displayed on the map by a small blue dot. It's the easiest and fastest method to find npcs (at least in alcamoth and frontier village).
Yeah but you don't know when they'll spawn.

Zornica

Banned
Yeah but you don't know when they'll spawn.

90% of ALL npcs spawn at either 6 or 18 o'clock
100% of all npcs in alcamoth spawn at 6 or 18 o'clock
only 2 npcs in frontier village don't spawn at 6/18 o'clock. both of them live in the same house and spawn at 9/21 o'clock.

granted, it's harder in the colonies, but I never heard complaints about finding npcs there anyway

That was in the affinity chart.

also this

A Xenoblade sequel would be really forced. I mean, the ending arguably left an opening for something to come afterward, but there aren't really any remaining plot threads open or any reason for a sequel other than "because."

It doesn't have to be an actual sequel. It can be like Final Fantasy where elements just carry over but each game has it's own world and story.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't have to be an actual sequel. It can be like Final Fantasy where elements just carry over but each game has it's own world and story.

I don't think there's much doubt that's going to happen, but the title doesn't really work as well for a franchise since it actually has some implications.

Weird swords in Xenoblade = crystals in Final Fantasy?

D-e-f-

Banned
- One of the aspects the developers are particularly proud of is that the world is built over giant robots or something; it was nice, I guess, but the game is so big you never notice that, you can scrap the robots and do a new world, I don't think anyone will miss that.

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

Best part of the setting, easily. It's also a core part of the story. Holy hell.

i just got that furball monchichi furby thing. i was happy with the game and this guy....really? am i just over reacting and the game still maintains its greatness?

i mean i could have done with a chu-chu type...

Once you're done with his introduction in that area and move on to the next one you can completely ignore Rikki.

daakusedo

Personnally, I did all quests on my own, but I don't know if many people had trouble finding them. The social links were useful to know who was going to interact with each other.

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

Best part of the setting, easily. It's also a core part of the story. Holy hell.

Once you're done with his introduction in that area and move on to the next one you can completely ignore Rikki.

really? i heard he was like one the the best party members....i cant stand hearing that voice!

D-e-f-

Banned
really? i heard he was like one the the best party members....i cant stand hearing that voice!

I barely used him. He definitely has useful skills though so don't ignore him forever but I just meant to say that you don't need to bother with him if you don't want to.

Couldn't stand the voice either. His weird speech style is kinda funny in text form but that VA was terribly annoying.

What?!

I mean, I'm fine if "X" isn't a sequel to Xenoblade and the world isn't two giants (in fact, if it is a new Xeno-world/IP, it would be lazy to do something similar), but... That was one of the best and most original things about Xenoblade! Besides, the story was completely built around it.

Different opinions and all but... dang. :p

Also, Riki is aces in my book. :D

I barely used him. He definitely has useful skills though so don't ignore him forever but I just meant to say that you don't need to bother with him if you don't want to.

Couldn't stand the voice either. His weird speech style is kinda funny in text form but that VA was terribly annoying.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

<3 Riki. I keep that little bugger around just for commentary (and he's not too bad in combat situations if used properly).

YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

<3 Riki. I keep that little bugger around just for commentary (and he's not too bad in combat situations if used properly).

002-P_ChuChu_01b.jpg

nasos_333

If this is like monster hunter and online only, will be a huge dissapointment for me

I hate MMOs or games that try to be like one

wsippel

Banned
I don't think there's much doubt that's going to happen, but the title doesn't really work as well for a franchise since it actually has some implications.

Weird swords in Xenoblade = crystals in Final Fantasy?
I think there's a better, more abstract way to look at it:
Shulk created an actual world at the end of Xenoblade. An actual universe, even. Why not consider it a prologue and base future games around exploring and experiencing stories in that universe? The whole concept of a newly created universe without gods has a lot of potential. Because most people in the game world probably don't even realize that "god is dead" after Mayneth and Zanza actually died and Shulk decided that gods are no longer needed. The hypothetical Xeno-franchise wouldn't be about superfluous stuff like strange swords, it would be about a strange universe without gods or fate.

onilink88

A bit off-topic, but I feel the need to share this with Xenoblade fans, anyway.

Not sure what I was looking for when I found this, but good thing I did. It's a Xenoblade GMV. ...Now, you might be conjuring thoughts of tacky collages of ill-fiting music and poorly-edited video when that term springs up, but I assure you: this one is good. Really good, actually. The chosen dialogue and footage mirror the emotionality of the theme brilliantly, and it does an exemplary job of underscoring the poignancy of Shulk and Fiora's relationship.

Huge spoilers, so I suggest not watching unless you already have the seventh character in your party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMNwBcMNWw

"You will know the pain and suffering you caused The Emperor and Fiora!"

So raw and powerful. Easily my favorite line/moment in the game. :D

D-e-f-

Banned
A bit off-topic, but I feel the need to share this with Xenoblade fans, anyway.

Not sure what I was looking for when I found this, but good thing I did. It's a Xenoblade GMV. ...Now, you might be conjuring thoughts of tacky collages of ill-fiting music and poorly-edited video when that term springs up, but I assure you: this one is good. Really good, actually. The chosen dialogue and footage mirror the emotionality of the theme brilliantly, and it does an exemplary job of underscoring the poignancy of Shulk and Fiora's relationship.

Huge spoilers, so I suggest not watching unless you already have the seventh character in your party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMNwBcMNWw

"You will know the pain and suffering you caused The Emperor and Fiora!"

So raw and powerful. Easily my favorite line/moment in the game. :D

Editing of the voice over is impeccable. Thank god that silly sepia filter wasn't used throughout the whole video, though :D

Also a prime example of the incredible music in that game and why I'm bummed about Sawano's stuff :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If this is like monster hunter and online only, will be a huge dissapointment for me

I hate MMOs or games that try to be like one

Monster Hunter is an MMO? This is news to me.

My man.

Mine too. My username here is how id was spelled in the Xenogears Perfect Works.
i hope to own PW one day. and learn japanese haha. i remember playing the demo on the FFVIII demo disc at age 12 and being captivated by it once i got the actual game.

ido

i hope to own PW one day. and learn japanese haha. i remember playing the demo on the FFVIII demo disc at age 12 and being captivated by it once i got the actual game.

Parasite Eve had the demo. I think Gears and FFVII came out the exact same year.

But you are still awesome. Nothing beats Xenogears to me. I proudly wear my nostalgia goggles.

Zornica

Banned
Monster Hunter?????? IS THAT YOU????

apparently most people on gaf either haven't played monster hunter and/or xenoblade.

I've played both for more than 200 hours each and I can't find any connections whatsoever. Is it because there is a huge dinosaur? monsters in monster hunter aren't actually that big... they are quite small in comparison. even the original xenoblade had uniques that where bigger than anything monster hunter has to offer (apart from elder dragons but those don't count)

ido

apparently most people on gaf either haven't played monster hunter and/or xenoblade.

I've played both for more than 200 hours each and I can't find any connections whatsoever. Is it because there is a huge dinosaur? monsters in monster hunter aren't actually that big... they are quite small in comparison. even the original xenoblade hat uniques that where bigger than anything monster hunter has to offer (apart from elder dragons but those don't count)

Thank you.

I think the bigger connection is how the trailer showed how you can attack certain parts.

This will be like Xenoblade, not MH. The placeholder UI is practically identical to Xenoblade.

Parasite Eve had the demo. I think Gears and FFVII came out the exact same year.

But you are still awesome. Nothing beats Xenogears to me. I proudly wear my nostalgia goggles.

you are right!! it was the PE demo disc, which had the FFVIII demo, xenogears demo, and brave fencer musashi demo!

in all honesty, playing xenogears at the age i did left a huge impression on me. fei's dissociative split and the whole id, ego, and super-ego stuff got me interested in psychology itself and now im currently finishing up a degree in psychology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom