• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese music composers vs Western music composers

Is there any reason why western music composers don't usually do "centerpiece" music? That's not to say western music composers don't make good music but I have never played a game from the west and felt like the music is one of the main parts of the game. It's kinda hard to explain, I feel like western music in video games don't catch my attention and that it's just "there". I feel like most western music is to "ambient" or "mellow" and gets lost if you don't pay attention to it. I feel like it's impossible for you to play a final fantasy or any other notable Japanese games and not notice the absolutely fantastic high budget music. Although you don't really need a 300 man opera to make "centerpiece" music.

Here are some examples :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gEKpGD4D4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMhTL5bZrs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Catshade

Is there any reason why western music composers don't usually do "centerpiece" music? That's not to say western music composers don't make good music but I have never played a game from the west and felt like the music is one of the main parts of the game. It's kinda hard to explain, I feel like western music in video games don't catch my attention and that it's just "there". I feel like most western music is to "ambient" or "mellow" and gets lost if you don't pay attention to it. I feel like it's impossible for you to play a final fantasy or any other notable Japanese games and not notice the absolutely fantastic high budget music. Although you don't really need a 300 man opera to make "centerpiece" music.

Probably because many Western VG music direction tried to mimic western movie soundtrack direction?

I listen to Japanese game music way more than I do Western game music and like them better overall. Still, I think one of the absolute best game soundtracks growing up was Beanland's Jet Force Gemini score. Nobody got the N64 to sing like Rare did. That score doesn't have the same impact it had on me back in '99, but it was amazing back then in Dolby Pro Logic on a good set up.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Have you played Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, or Reach?

I'll take it you haven't.

They don't have sound options because they don't want you turning down the music.

I think the idea you're referring to OP is a motif. While it can be incredibly awesome when it's well done (In your examples, lots of FFXIII musics are based on Lightning's motif, P3 on "Aria of the Soul", "Burn my Dread" and "Kimi No Kioku", and P4 on "I'll face myself" and "Reach out to the Truth"), it can be felt as a lack of inspiration to rehash the same basic tune several times over (like in Zelda Link's Awakening. I love the series' motif, but I grew tired of it at the end of LA).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
OP asked the right question.

I'd say that the Japanese game industry developed its musical model in the Famicom era, when music could really be the entire soul of the game. There was no voice acting, no atmospheric audio, simple sound FX. The music was front and center; meant to be heard. And even in the modern day, the Japanese industry continues that tradition of "centerpiece" music, as the OP calls it. (to great benefit, I would say. Japanese music produces some of the most unique and experimental music, and it's so listenable outside of the game)

The western game music industry probably thinks of itself as "score", much like Hollywood.

Have you played Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, or Reach?

I'll take it you haven't.

They don't have sound options because they don't want you turning down the music.
All of those are great.

And they're totally film score. You'd think they were the soundtracks to Hollywood films.

Countless Japanese games don't sound like "score" exactly.. They often sound like experimental music, perhaps more listenable outside of the game. (depends on taste, of course)

Soriku

Assassin's Creed 2 - Ezio's Family

Don't even care for Assassin's Creed but this is a really good track. I also really like Donkey Kong Country's OST.

I hardly play Western games but I imagine there's bound to be a lot of talented composers out there. It's just Japan has such a crazy repertoire of composers for their games. It's hard to compete with the likes of FF, Zelda, Mario, Shin Megami Tensei, Shadow Hearts, The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, Xenogears/Saga/Blade, Chrono Trigger/Chross, Wild Arms, Suikoden, Baten Kaitos...you get the picture.

i wouldn't differentiate between west or east, because there are not so many games where the soundtrack is really immersive.

metal gear solid, uncharted, portal, all the pixeljunk games, portal, journey, max payne 3, god of war 3, halo, red dead redemption and some others are a really good example how the soundtrack is very mutual with the gameplay itself.

but then there are games like xenoblade or nier. i know that many fans love the soundtrack, but in my opinion the soundtrack is poorly implemented in the game and i don't even know how to describe it.

ZiZ

I'm not sure I understand the question, do the tracks in Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and Mirrors Edge not count?

Traditionally the Japanese use a different musical scale to us in the West. Which might have something to do with the perceived difference?

but then there are games like xenoblade or nier. i know that many fans love the soundtrack, but in my opinion the soundtrack is poorly implemented in the game and i don't even know how to describe it.

Wait, what ? How ?

They're not scores or atmospheric music maybe, but how are they poorly implemented ?

BocoDragon

Mostly because it's kinda made up.

"All cultures' art is the same!"

^ nonsense.

Different cultures (mostly in this case, mostly different corporate cultures) produce different styles of art.

20 years of listening to game music, mostly outside of the games, and Japanese and Western videogame music are like night and day.

I'm sure there are some western games which are more like "centerpiece" ditties, and I'm sure there are some Japanese games which are more atmospheric score. But these are exceptions that prove the rules.

redlemon

I'd say it's difference in backgrounds. How many popular western video games composers started in videogames? I feel many come from a film or television background where the music is more often expected add by blending in rather than being a extremely strong component in it's own right. As opposed to composers in Japan who might have spent most of their career working in videogames.

Traditionally the Japanese use a different musical scale to us in the West. Which might have something to do with the perceived difference?

Perhaps for japanese folk music, but for game composition is mostly inspired by western styles. For example, Koichi Sugiyama's work is inspired a lot by baroque, jazz, and early Hollywood

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Japanese compositions fare better historically since japanese game development placed a great emphasis on music earlier on. And, for whatever reason, Japanese game music has a greater level of variety than western. The actual high quality work for each is about equal though, I'd say.

I sort of understand what your talking about. I've also noticed a slight tonal difference between Japanese game OSTs and Western game OSTs. In a way, JOSTs are more whimsical than WOSTs. And I agree. I can't think of one western game with a soundtrack to match the tone of a Japanese game, with maybe the exception of the Assassins Creed games. I'll have to think about it...

BocoDragon

I'd say it's difference in backgrounds. How many popular western video games composers started in videogames? I feel many come from a film or television background where the music is more often expected add by blending in rather than being a extremely strong component in it's own right. As opposed to composers in Japan who might have spent most of their career working in videogames.

That's a very good point.

Seems to me that most Western game composers I can think of, they were plucked from symphonic or Hollywood backgrounds. And they're often chosen to give the games particular existing styles.

While in Japan, they're mostly "in the industry". And that's leads to experimentation. Again, I say the corporate cultures have a lot to do with it, rather than culture culture.

Neff

Japan is big on leitmotif, that's why. Not to mention that they've been taking videogame composition very seriously for much longer than the West.

Seems to me that most Western game composers I can think of, they were plucked from symphonic or Hollywood backgrounds. And they're often chosen to give the games particular existing styles.

While in Japan, they're mostly "in the industry". And that's leads to experimentation. Again, I say the corporate cultures have a lot to do with it, rather than culture culture.

All very true.

Moosichu

Journey, God of War and Uncharted have good music. The Last of Us theme sounds great as well. Although my favourite is Metal Gear Solid.

maybe because its just listens like a dj is standing right next to you and is changing the tracks, when you enter a new map, a battle or whatever
That's...a staple of JRPG. It isn't a problem you have with Xenoblade or Nier in particular, but with all the genre's music then :)

Edit : Plus, I can think of a good use of music in Nier, in Nier's village, there is a woman singing and the music changes accordingly, the closer you are the more it replaces the village's theme :)

Sentenza

Care to show me some songs from western games that are touching the ones in the Op?
How could I?
For a start, this music you posted in the OP doesn't click anything special for me (and I even played two of these three games, for the record) so I'm not even sure what sort of "peak" I should reach.
Beside, you have already your subjective bias so I would guess that no matter what I could link to you, you would dismiss it claiming "It's not so dreamy as my beloved japanese music".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26rXxiRhc8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtiAQk3ojE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk8ByyCsks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d689QT0nEY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFdB1lTIRA

LayLa

This. I would also say that Japanese video game composers seem to be more integrated into the workflow of how a game is made - I personally know someone who worked on the soundtrack to a couple of AAA western games and he never saw game footage until after his work was done, he is just given vague references to work from which were all film-based.

MrT-Tar

David Wise and whoever was behind the soundtrack of the first Metroid Prime are really the only Western composers whose work I love to the same degree of my favourite Japanese game composers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
From what I've noticed, Japanese composers tend to focus on motifs and minimalism. A lot have recently added vocal songs. Western composers, like the previous posters said, composed for movies and these music end up grandiose or more environmental.

I'll add that composers for indie games tend to be more experimental.

That's...a staple of JRPG. It isn't a problem you have with Xenoblade or Nier in particular, but with all the genre's music then :)

Edit : Plus, I can think of a good use of music in Nier, in Nier's village, there is a woman singing and the music changes accordingly, the closer you are the more it replaces the village's theme :)

i like the music and i didn't said that the music is bad, but for me there are better games with more immersive music.

From my observation, Japanese game music tends to have strong, prominent melodies as opposed to a lot of American game music which tends to either be atmospheric or not having a prominent melody (i.e. it's hard to hum American game music).

Of course, that's not exclusive. Not all Japanese music or American music is as I describe.

Maybe that has to do with how the OP perceives Japanese music as being more "centerpiece."

I totally forgot about them. Diddy Kong racing is them right? The music is noticeable but not what I call "centerpiece" music.

I'd argue a few tracks from the first two DKC's can compare to that operatic feel you're getting at in your OP. Aquatic Ambience and Stickerbush Symphony instantly spring to mind as intentionally big, majestic pieces that are integral to the enjoyment of those games, and David Wise sure as hell wasn't plucked from a Hollywood background; the Stamper bros. found him working in a music shop years earlier.

Not entirely related, but here's a neat twist on the whole west/east theme with Square's Masashi Hamauzu remixing Aquatic Ambience.

Sentenza

I never said they weren't. I said the music usually doesn't stand out.
Edit :imo
Which is why I said it's a made-up, arbitrary, subjective distinction.

The music you posted doesn't stand out either, as far as I'm concerned.
I would pick Braid's Downstream above everything you posted. Actually, even above 90% of what people usually post in threads like this.

nOoblet16

You want touching music ? Take most of the osts from ANY game which has composition from Jesper Kyd...specifically Assassin's Creed 2:

Venice This gives me the chills.

Florence theme

The others would be Deus Ex Human Revolution (Icarus, Opening theme), Any Halo game, Metal Gear Solid (what's as memorable as MGS2 theme ?), Mass Effect menu theme

My favorite game OSTs are from Japanese games but on a general level I find western compositions better because a lot of Japanese compositions rely heavily on melodies and old school stuff while a lot of western music tends to be ambient and calm sounding.

Aru

I also tend to remember/appreciate japanese soundtracks more than american/european ones. Outside of Jesper Kyd and Jeremy Soule, I'm not sure I even know a famous composer who's not japanese.

BocoDragon

Which is why I said it's a made-up, arbitrary, subjective distinction.

The music you posted doesn't stand out either, as far as I'm concerned.
I would pick Braid's Downstream above everything you posted. Actually, even above 90% of what people usually post in threads like this.

"Better" is subjective.

But to say that Japan and Western gaming don't put out very different styles of musical composition is silly.

Sentenza

"All cultures' art is the same!"

^ nonsense.
"Better" is subjective.

But to say that Japan and Western gaming don't put out very different styles of musical composition is silly.
This is the second time you try to answer to me using the same strawman.
I'm not going to argue with someone who pretends to make up what I'm saying to have a leverage.

Beside, another thing that's really, *really* silly is pretending that cultural differences are limited to Japan vs "Rest of the world" (as a singular, cultural entity).

Top Bottom