• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: What Microsoft’s always-on Xbox means for PlayStation 4

You’ve got to admire Microsoft’s bravery. News that its next Xbox could shut out the second-hand games market has caused strong reactions across social media today, and it has impacted upon the real world too. GameStop’s share price took a dent following the publication of our story earlier this afternoon.

If our sources are correct (and we’re confident they are), Microsoft has made the move that publishers and developers have been asking for. Microsoft’s next Xbox will do what Steam and the App Store have been doing for years, and very successfully, too – a download-first, one profile, one purchase, one storefront system. Overnight, it’ll stop GameStop and GAME from selling on games without a penny heading back to its publisher, let alone its creator.

Microsoft has also, rather more sensibly, surmised that the kind of consumer happy to pay for a next-generation console is going to have a decent internet connection. It is not a portable device; there’s little harm in keeping the next Xbox connected, as long as the next iteration of Xbox Live is implemented in the right way. Past experiences with always-on services have been disappointing – just ask Ubisoft and Blizzard – but that’s current generation technology. Microsoft must take note of its contemporaries’ mistakes and make its always-on Xbox service as unobtrusive as it can.
What’s trickier for Microsoft is in explaining its decision when faced with Sony’s plans for the PlayStation 4. Walk into a game retailer (should you be able to find one by the time these consoles arrive) and the choice could be simple: PlayStation 4 is more powerful, and plays second-hand games. One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.

Based on our sources’ information, we are building an ever clearer picture of what PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox will be. Right now, there seems to be a subtle role reversal happening; Microsoft’s stricter, more complex box aspires to be the complete entertainment superhub PS3 was once designed to be. Sony’s PlayStation 4 is more PC-like and developer-friendly, as Xbox once was.

What hasn’t changed is the logistical challenge of launching a home console. We understand that PS4 will reach the US and Japan by the end of this year, with European territories to follow after Christmas, just as PS3 did. What Microsoft might stand to lose in halting the second-hand market, it could gain if it manages to launch its new console globally before PS4.

If PS4 allows used games...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So is this not a rumor anymore or is there some credible evidence pointing to an always-connected Xbox thingy?

Reveirg

I just love how none of these companies take in consideration the crappy bandwidth limits we get here in Canada.

Somebody's going to have to adjust.

Raide

So is this not a rumor anymore or is there some credible evidence pointing to an always-connected Xbox thingy?

Just like the majority of Internet Journalists, one site posts it, the rest just rip and spin. At this exact moment, MS have not confirmed or denied anything.

Alx

Wow, things are going fast nowadays... Edge only published the original info/rumor a few hours ago, and now releases an article commenting the fallback of the reactions on said article. Crazy.

StuBurns

Banned
If MS are doing this, and who knows really, they're focus on the 'media box' is clearly greater than that of a gaming device. They're not even competing one for one to users. Maybe Sony sell more, but if MS position it correctly, they'll sell to people who weren't even going to get either. Could be good for both I think. Fucking dreadful for the consumer of course.

iMax

Could this requirement be in place for the cloud-console hybrid processing Microsoft is planning for 2015?

Neiteio

This is REALLY interesting.

Shutting out the second-game market is probably best for devs/publishers.

But will PS4 follow suit? THE SUSPENSE.

Guevara

Microsoft is really trying to kill the Xbox, or squeeze profitability at least. I wonder if shareholders grew impatient or something else is at play here.

Meh... doesn't bother me that much. I rarely buy used games. If Xbox delivers good games with good hardware (and free online play, don't care for other services)... I'll get it.

It means I'm not buying it.

lololololoololololoololol

Also, for me it's easier to digest no second hand games. The online only is a complete and utter deal breaker for me.

The Lamp

What if Microsoft purposefully leaked these rumors to gauge public reception before making an official decision?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just like the majority of Internet Journalists, one site posts it, the rest just rip and spin. At this exact moment, MS have not confirmed or denied anything.

Well I don't expect them to confirm/deny this, I just wondered how credible this rumor really is. A lot of sites seem to be running full speed with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So...the implication of all of this is that they're hearing Sony isn't stopping used games, or they just aren't hearing anything at all?

Cause this would be a mother-of-all philosophical differences if one does this and the other doesn't.

But this is an Edge piece, following up on another Edge piece based on information from Edge's source.

PBY

Banned
No used games + full publisher controls over price + deregulated online store sounds awesome to me.... I don't think that this will happen on Xbox though.

I feel like no used games would actually be pretty cool/steamlike on ps4...

x-Lundz-x

If all this ends up being true, and the PS4 allows used games then is going to be PS4 / PC for me only. All my buddies I game with who were 360 exclusive gamers will all switch over.

FU Microsoft if this ends up being true. Hopefully you have people seeing the reactions and will come to your senses.

Also if Sony isn't stopping used games, what stops Gamestop from pushing the PS4 to consumers over the xbox.

Wouldn't that happen? I don't see why not and it would be detrimental for Microsoft.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I really want this to be true, the blowback Microsoft is going to get for it is going to be amazing. I have never once seen always-on DRM work out well or the party in question and Microsoft will be sweating more than a few bullets when the dudebros are unable to play the latest Call of Duty because of Error 17 or something like that.

Toa TAK

Banned
As long as they keep "Games on Demand", I'll be fine. Buying games from there at a (usually) cheap price is about the same for me when I buy used games at Gamestop.

jet1911

Cold this play in Microsoft favor though? Could this entice publichers to release more exclusive games on the next Xbox?

This really is bullshit. I've blindly been supporting MS with the Windows Phone, bought a Windows 8 hybrid, all with the hope something will change for the better.

They confirm this, and I'm done. I'm selling my Lenovo Yoga, my Lumia 920 and my 360, never associating myself with this company again.

i-Lo

MS alone would not jump the gun without certain assurances. Either they both go, or they both implemented differently in different regions or they both forgo this action and concentrate hard on providing better deals on digital versions of game which by their very nature can not be resold.

ThankeeSai

What’s trickier for Microsoft is in explaining its decision when faced with Sony’s plans for the PlayStation 4. Walk into a game retailer (should you be able to find one by the time these consoles arrive) and the choice could be simple: PlayStation 4 is more powerful, and plays second-hand games....

If this is indeed true, it has just made my "Xbox or PS4?" decision much, much easier.

I bet both of them tie games to accounts.

If its 100% for sure MS is doing it then Sony will go back and make sure to have it ready for launch now they dont have to worry about the backlash of being the only one doing it.

It would have been the same if word got out Sony was doing it. MS would have been relieved.

Seems like something pretty easy to implement anyway and not something you would have to completely rebuild the system for.

WalkMan

Banned
No used games + full publisher controls over price + deregulated online store sounds awesome to me.... I don't think that this will happen on Xbox though.

They just have to set it up where if you want to sell your game, you pay a small fee ($3) to dissociate the content from your account. Then you can sell it. I think steam lets you do a similar thing

ghst

thanks for the laugh
if microsoft, the current preferred bed-friend of all big western publishers, don't allow second hand resale, there is zero chance sony won't have to do the same. EA and activision will have no qualms with dreamcasting the PS4 in a second; and they'll have an infinite amount of fabricated sales data to support the idea that it would be an ultimately profitable move. why support a rival on the outset of a generation to the machine which does everything you ask for?

it will happen to the PS4 too, it's written in the patents.

this is an idea you're going to have to get comfortable with.

Well I don't expect them to confirm/deny this, I just wondered how credible this rumor really is. A lot of sites seem to be running full speed with it.

EDGE seems to be confident about it. Without them outright exposing their sources, I am not sure it will get anymore credible until or unless someone confirms it.

Foffy

Banned

On a MICROSOFT platform?! :p

Mononoke

Banned
The part about the internet connection pisses me off. As again, America's broadband infrastructure isn't that great.

Anteo

This is REALLY interesting.

Shutting out the second-game market is probably best for devs/publishers.

But will PS4 follow suit? THE SUSPENSE.

The next third party excuse for not games on Nintendo systems: "Nintendo allows used game, they are killing this industry!"

FordGTGuy

Banned
This really is bullshit. I've blindly been supporting MS with the Windows Phone, bought a Windows 8 hybrid, all with the hope something will change for the better.

They confirm this, and I'm done. I'm selling my Lenovo Yoga, my Lumia 920 and my 360, never associating myself with this company again.

I love how you spent all that money and you're ready to drop it all on a rumor I love this website. :D lol

Apparently Gamestop shares have dropped after EDGE broke the news earlier today...

they better not make things up because this is serious news if true.

#gamechanger if you will

Top Bottom