• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: What Microsoft’s always-on Xbox means for PlayStation 4

Raide

Cold this play in Microsoft favor though? Could this entice publichers to release more exclusive games on the next Xbox?

I guess it depends on how the buying market reacts. As long as the user-base is still there, some pubs and devs might jump in but I just don't see them doing that in favour or multiplatform games.

Honey Bunny

This is such a dramatic change in the industry that one would expect most devs and even journalists to have heard about it by now. If this really is going forward, I would have expected far more information on it to have leaked out by now than an Edge rumour a few weeks before the PS4 reveal and, if memory serves, a single similar rumour far back last year that was quickly dismissed. Why is this only gaining attention now.

UberTag

Walk into a game retailer (should you be able to find one by the time these consoles arrive) and the choice could be simple: PlayStation 4 is more powerful, and plays second-hand games. One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.
Edge continuing to push that Microsoft and Sony are taking completely different approaches to this. They also seem to be reveling in the idea of game retailers no longer existing. How droll.

Let's face facts here... if EDGE is right... and none of us believe they are right (it should be a "nobody does it" or "MS & Sony both do it" gambit)... then we're ALL buying PS4s this fall (and not "the next Xbox"). And Microsoft only gets away with doing this on their own if they enact an aggressive Steam-like "publishers set their prices" digital model and/or leverage this move with third-parties to freeze Sony out of certain third-party AAA exclusives. And even in BOTH those cases, specialty game retailers would treat the Xbox like kryptonite and bury it in the back of their stores alongside the Vita displays.

if microsoft, the current preferred bed-friend of all big western publishers, don't allow second hand resale, there is zero chance sony won't have to do the same. EA and activision will have no qualms with dreamcasting the PS4 in a second; and they'll have an infinite amount of fabricated sales data to support the idea that it will be an ultimately profitable move.

it will happen to the PS4 too, it's written in the patents.

this is an idea you're going to have to get comfortable with.
NEVER

ironcreed

Banned
So EDGE is confident that this is legit, aye? All I can say at this point is that if this indeed is the case, then I will be more than content with just picking up a PS4 and then later a Wii U. As for my investment in Xbox, I'll just play the games I have on my 360 and leave it at that. Seems like this is gaining more steam, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

FordGTGuy

Banned
They seem to be standing behind the story and the source fairly firmly for a herp derp clickz attempt.

You underestimate modern journalism, hits are the only reason these websites are alive. It's like a bunch of Donald Trumps running around making blogs yelling "look at me!".

Deadstar

Maybe Sony had to fall before they could rise? Wasn't the initial plan for the 360 to become the media hub for the living room? This was before apple tv and other devices started offering the same things, netflix, hulu, etc. People don't necessarily need these things anymore because they most likely already have them. So if Sony focuses more on the games they could pull ahead.

Vyrance

I really hope this doesn't mean PS4 will also block used game sales. PS4 seems to be shaping up nicely, so that would be a big blow to my future console purchase.

sflufan

Banned
One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.

For anyone familiar with anti-trust law, would that fall under the definition of collusion?

Mifune

Mehmber
if microsoft, the current preferred bed-friend of all big western publishers, don't allow second hand resale, there is zero chance sony won't have to do the same. EA and activision will have no qualms with dreamcasting the PS4 in a second; and they'll have an infinite amount of fabricated sales data to support the idea that it would be an ultimately profitable move. why support a rival on the outset of a generation to the machine that does everything you ask for?

it will happen to the PS4 too, it's written in the patents.

this is an idea you're going to have to get comfortable with.

This is the truth right here.

WalkMan

Banned
Edge continuing to push that Microsoft and Sony are taking completely different approaches to this. They also seem to be reveling in the idea of game retailers no longer existing. How droll.

Let's face facts here... if EDGE is right... and none of us believe they are right (it should be a "nobody does it" or "MS & Sony both do it" gambit)... then we're ALL buying PS4s this fall (and not "the next Xbox"). And Microsoft only gets away with doing this on their own if they enact an aggressive Steam-like "publishers set their prices" digital model and/or leverage this move with third-parties to freeze Sony out of certain third-party AAA exclusives.
Not really something they can do if nobody buys Durango.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Could edge be any more blatantly biased against Microsoft, I mean their reporting is so transparent its comical.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cold this play in Microsoft favor though? Could this entice publichers to release more exclusive games on the next Xbox?

Maybe, initially. Or they might be making such noises. But if the market splits in any way like it did this gen they'd be cutting their own nose off to not put those games on PS4 too. Counterproductive to have a net loss of sales.

I still find it hard to believe one would do this and one wouldn't. Or that one wouldn't do ANYTHING if the other did this (e.g. had some restriction on it). It would be an amazing thing to see fall out though.

Oppo

EDGE seems really confident that they have the right info.

I think there will be some full on thermonuclear meltdowns if it's true... and it looks like it is.

I don't find it so hard to believe but it's certainly having an impact already.... and you know the huge publishers (EA, Ubi etc) are salivating at the prospect.

Mononoke

Banned
I guess EDGE wasn't happy with the hits they were getting earlier... MUST HAVE MORE HITS!

Wouldn't this be a pretty big blow to their credibility - if it turns out false? I mean, it's one thing to originally say "sources say" blah blah. Another to make another article saying WE ARE NOW confident.

If this ends up being wrong, I could see this blowing up in their faces. But I guess you have a point. In the journalist industry, companies are willing to take a risk - in hopes they are the first to break something. Happens all the time.

Sid

If this is confirmed before the 20th and then Sony comes out and claims it's console will not require a net connection all the damn time and it'll support used games....wow.

deadlast

Here's a crazy assumption... Say this BS is true, and publishers decide to go exclusively to MS since there is no used games. How quickly will Sony put in affect a no used games system.

Here is an old article from last year.

Sony's Jack Tretton Opposes Blocking Used Games, Claims Michael Pachter

In a recent episode of GameTrailer's Bonus Round, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said that Sony's Jack Tretton is strongly opposed to the idea of a console blocking used games. During the show, Pachter recalled a conversation he supposedly had with the SCEA president at an E3 meeting. He claims that he asked Tretton directly about the rumor that Sony's newest console ("Orbis") would not support used games.

"He said, 'for the record, I'm totally opposed to blocking used games. I think it's great for the consumer that they can buy those. We have a customer that buys our console late in the cycle, pays less, is looking for value priced games, and I think it would be anti-consumer for us to do that'," Pachter said.

Tretton also allegedly told Pachter that other executives at Sony's Japanese headquarters might have a different view on the issue.

Source: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/05...sed-games-claims-michael-pachter#.URKhvKXonHQ

That's just Trentton's opinion though.

Foffy

Banned
This is such a dramatic change in the industry that one would expect most devs and even journalists to have heard about it by now. If this really is going forward, I would have expected far more information on it to have leaked out by now than an Edge rumour a few weeks before the PS4 reveal and, if memory serves, a single similar rumour far back last year that was quickly dismissed. Why is this only gaining attention now.

It could also be one of the reasons it's kept under wraps with things. You've seen the backlash we've had about it. Perhaps they wanted to hide this information for as long as possible, hoping to use the entertainment hub showcasing to deflect this massive, massive fucking thing?

Xamdou

Well this is great news for developers, they will be more inclined to develop for the the Xbox 720 knowing that their games won't be taking part in the used video game business which they don't get any money from.

One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.

For anyone familiar with anti-trust law, would that fall under the definition of collusion?
Exactly. You never make these kinds of phone calls. That's what golf courses are for.

apana

So at least we know that their sources aren't telling them that PS4 will do the same. I predict Microsoft will have a very tough time next generation. The magic of third console curse is undeniable. The debate inside Sony HQ when they first heard of this news must have been incredible. We will soon see what the decision was....

Proxy

These rumors have been floating around for a while now. It's not just something out of the blue.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wouldn't this be a pretty big blow to their credibility - if it turns out false? I mean, it's one thing to originally say "sources say" blah blah. Another to make another article saying WE ARE NOW confident.

Credibility means nothing anymore people are still citing Wikipedia and ********(the website that shall not be named) as sources.

The website that shall not be named is what "leaked" the specs for the X720 that seem all but confirmed for most people on here.

People don't care where information comes from as long as it's new, fresh and controversial.

Kusagari

It's hilarious that MS seems to be running full steam into assuring they come under the 3rd console curse.

What a way to ruin all their momentum.

FrankT

So...the implication of all of this is that they're hearing Sony isn't stopping used games, or they just aren't hearing anything at all?

Cause this would be a mother-of-all philosophical differences if one does this and the other doesn't.

I'm trying to understand what they are actually saying is new here outside the first article?

Concrete Sony isn't doing the same? There isn't much outside what they said the first time, heh.

volpone

Banned
If there is still multiplatform parity between Sony and Microsoft then I am definitely going with Playstation next gen. Unless Microsoft secure some stellar exclusives that is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While this is still all speculation, I have to say I really hate the direction Microsoft has gone in the last four years or so. This is especially true with the Xbox.

Right now I couldn't be less interested in the 360's successor, but I'm rather excited to hear about the PS4.

ksamedi

Well this is great news for developers, they will be more inclined to develop for the the Xbox 720 knowing that their games won't be taking part in the used video game business which they don't get any money from.

Not if less people buy software. It will be more risky to buy stuff because you can't sell it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This would make choosing which next gen consoles to buy even easier for me. My first Sony console after two generations of being a huge Xbox fan. MS can fuck off.

It's hilarious that MS seems to be running full steam into assuring they come under the 3rd console curse.

What a way to ruin all their momentum.
Seriously! I can't fathom it.

clo1_2000

Banned
If this is true, I just don't get an Xbox. I like the option of trading my games or buying them used. I wonder if this would lead to a class action lawsuit...

Mononoke

Banned
What if Microsoft purposefully leaked these rumors to gauge public reception before making an official decision?

*Putting my tinfoil hat on*

I think it's more likely that MS leaked this info, knowing it would force PS4 to acknowledge they are going to have to do this as well (either they had already planned to do so, or they know they will have to - if MS is doing it).

So it throws a wrench in their release announcement, as there is a cloud of negativity among fans surrounding the next gen consoles and this new system of selling games. Meanwhile, when MS eventually announces later in the year, it will have cooled down somewhat. Maybe Sony will have to take the heat for it first.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

But of course, that's just my inner Mulder talking.

Top Bottom