• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: What Microsoft’s always-on Xbox means for PlayStation 4

Foffy

Banned
I can't see one system doing it and not the other; especially if both want great third party support.

It's either both or none.

If just one does it, then people won't get that system. Pretty sure MS/Sony is smart enough to see that. Who knows though...

If MS plugs it as the entertainment hub box, maybe they can try to soothe consumers with all of its bells and whistles to handle the massive tumor it's carrying with it.

I really hope Sony confirms they won't lock second-hand games Feb 20th, that may persuade MS to ditch it.

Better yet, this is just EDGE click-fishing
I don't believe Edge would run this unless they really trusted the source. Of course the source may be wrong or have old information.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
This really is bullshit. I've blindly been supporting MS with the Windows Phone, bought a Windows 8 hybrid, all with the hope something will change for the better.

They confirm this, and I'm done. I'm selling my Lenovo Yoga, my Lumia 920 and my 360, never associating myself with this company again.

You surely are the voice of reason.

Mithos

Overnight, it’ll stop GameStop and GAME from selling on games without a penny heading back to its publisher, let alone its creator.

And why would GameStop or GAME even stock or sell MS products/Games new if this is true, they have already said they don't really make money on them.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
But what if the install base for PS4 ends up being much bigger in light of this (if it's true)? Would be kind of hard to ignore putting your games on the more popular platform.

it won't be, it'll be the "no games" console. if you're a sony fan you're going to be hoping that all those no used games patents come to something, or the PS4's future prospects are about on a par with the vita.

at minimum, i think it'll be a non-mandatory feature. leaving japanese publishers to do what they want while all the big western houses lock their shit up tight.

Xiaoki

Japan has a huge used games market so I dont see Sony ever blocking used games.

Some third party publishers may at first be Xbox exclusive in support of blocking used games but that support will crumble when PS4 greatly outsells Xbox.

Blocking used games is going to anger a lot of consumers so I dont think a lot of publishers are going to openly support it.

Eh, this rumor is always out there. It wont happen unless both companies do it...

If Sony comes out on the 20th boasting about how, "AND WE LET YOU PLAY USED/BORROWED GAMES!" Microsoft will just do some fiddly-twinking and change Durango to do the same.

Reallink

If this is true, there are only 2 possible scenarios. Either Sony and MS have colluded and will both go forward with this system, or MS (in return for doing it) have secured exclusivity for basically every major third party property.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo 3 was the best selling PC game the year it was released wasn't it?

It almost certainly was. It also effectively killed the vast majority of enthusiasm most people have for the Diablo brand. They got their sales off the back of Diablo II's success and incredible hype.

And why would GameStop or GAME even stock or sell MS products/Games new if this is true, they have already said they don't really make money on them.
This is what I said earlier that no one has commented on. This is a hugeeeee deal. What stops Gamestop from pushing the PS4 to consumers over the xbox if this happens?

Honey Bunny

It could also be one of the reasons it's kept under wraps with things. You've seen the backlash we've had about it. Perhaps they wanted to hide this information for as long as possible, hoping to use the entertainment hub showcasing to deflect this massive, massive fucking thing?

I was trying to avoid sounding like I need a tinfoil hat but, yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. A cover up, or an unwillingness by these outlets to be the first to drop the news, in fear of angering Sony/MS and publishers. Before their dazzly PR for the next gen hits to distract us all from the issue.

Or, Edge are just lying to get MS to respond.

These rumors have been floating around for a while now. It's not just something out of the blue.

Well sure, rumours about everything conceivable in these consoles have been 'floating around', but my point was this seems disproportionate. We were getting new rumours just about every week for these consoles, but the number of times this has come up can be counted on one hand. And the number of times it's been seriously brought up by a reputable publication, insisting it is true, on one finger.

Dabanton

If MS is doing this Sony will have to as well.

Can't see one doing it without the other I would imagine the big devs EA,Activison being pleased if this is true.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Come on, Sorny... don't fuck this up.

th-2.jpg

"Sorny doesn't comment on rumors or speculation." -Sorny spokesperson.

I don't believe Edge would run this unless they really trusted the source. Of course the source may be wrong or have old information.

You guys really seem to underestimate modern journalism go look at N4G for a while.

BTW before anyone says anything about credibility is that why Patcher gets so much attention?

madmackem

Cold this play in Microsoft favor though? Could this entice publichers to release more exclusive games on the next Xbox?

No why would they leave free money on the table, if this article is right then the sony box would be more powerful and offer a better dev enviroment. If this all came true i dont know how ms can come out of this very well.

So is this not a rumor anymore or is there some credible evidence pointing to an always-connected Xbox thingy?

They sure are running with it. Makes me thing that it's a bit more than a rumor or they trust their source enough to take it as fact.

RibMan

Edge said:
Microsoft has made the move that publishers and developers have been asking for

Is that a move that consumers will support? My gut feeling is Microsoft will alienate a lot of core gamers if they make it impossible to run used games. I suppose (in the grand scheme of things) this won't matter to Microsoft if their next console isn't aimed at core gamers.

Ponn

Banned
Maybe its just me.... but I don't think no used games is enough to create a significant install base gap.

Every Gamestop employee being told on or off the books to "warn" every customer that all their game purchases are locked in when they buy a Xbox 720 and they will not be able to trade in, loan or rent any games on it. On the other hand this shiny new PS4 which is potentially even more powerful than the Xbox 720 you are free to bring your games back and trade in to your hearts content.

And then those consumers go on to spread that information to all their families, friends and co-workers.

panty

You underestimate modern journalism, hits are the only reason these websites are alive. It's like a bunch of Donald Trumps running around making blogs yelling "look at me!".
I love how you spent all that money and you're ready to drop it all on a rumor I love this website. :D lol

They are trying to force hits on their website.

I guess EDGE wasn't happy with the hits they were getting earlier... MUST HAVE MORE HITS!

Any more?

Always online, gold requires a sub, no second hand sales.

Consoles are moving ever so closer to just being an inferior pc... Seriously, not saying this as if PC's are a much better platform, but this new system sounds like its throwing out a lot of advantages that its consumers liked that the PC doesn't have. The only advantage now is the cost of entry being lower and ease of use.

WalkMan

Banned
I don't see this happening. Despite this news the Xbox will still sell.

It'll basically sell 0 in Japan now. For America it can sell if they do the 2-year contract subsidization thing they had planned. But other than that publishers will be enthusiastic about their control but in the end money speaks and the install base for PS4 will be a lot more.

BadWolf

Eh, this rumor is always out there. It wont happen unless both companies do it...

If Sony comes out on the 20th boasting about how, "AND WE LET YOU PLAY USED/BORROWED GAMES!" Microsoft will just do some fiddly-twinking and change Durango to do the same.

Will MS be able to back out? Wouldn't various agreements already have been made with 3rd parties?

FourMyle

The reason steam works is because of their sales. MS/Sony do sales but they are extremely rare compared to Steam's and they aren't anywhere near as big. If this 'can't play used games' becomes a thing for MS/Sony then I will probably just switch over to the Wii U.

PBY

Banned
Every Gamestop employee being told on or off the books to "warn" every customer that all their game purchases are locked in when they buy a Xbox 720 and they will not be able to trade in, loan or rent any games on it. On the other hand this shiny new PS4 which is potentially even more powerful than the Xbox 720 you are free to bring your games back and trade in to your hearts content.

And then those consumers go on to spread that information to all their families, friends and co-workers.

Still don't think it will matter if the product is marketed right/has the games.

apana

It could if Microsoft were actually promised GTA and Call of Duty exclusivity but I have my doubts. If Microsoft is going on this path without any promise of exclusivity or knowledge of what Sony is going to do then just lol.

Dr Dogg

Well I sure hope EDGE knows what they are doing. Reading the first article and now this follow up, which is severing more to back up the "confidence" on their source, that if this rumor turns out to be false they are going to lose an awful lot of credibility.

PopeReal

I would never buy a system that doesn't allow me to play used games or loan my games to friends for a game night. Sticking with Wii U for now and hope the PS4 does not go down the same road as XBox.

Business sense.
What do you mean? Doesn't gamestop make a massive percentage of their profits from used game sales and very little from console sales? Good business sense would be to push the PS4. I didn't say stop selling the xbox. I said push the PS4. Just like mobile carriers push certain devices over others. It makes a huge difference.

1-D_FTW

This is what I said earlier that no one has commented on. This is a hugeeeee deal. What stops Gamestop from pushing the PS4 to consumers over the xbox if this happens?

Because they have enough issues. Don't they buy ipads? They'll sell anything. It's stupid to not sell Xbox games. It's turning away much needed money. They could steer people to PS4, but you certainly don't want to turn away money from people who've already committed to XBox.

What do you mean? Doesn't gamestop make a massive percentage of their profits from used game sales and very little from console sales? Good business sense would be to push the PS4. I didn't say stop selling the xbox. I said push the PS4. Just like mobile carriers push certain devices over others. It makes a huge difference.

There's still games, high margin accessories, and Live cards. All of which are profitable.

flattie

If this turns out to be true, I wonder if we'll see the price of new digital releases dropping to (at least) those seen on Steam. Effectively undercutting Sony for a comparable experience. Of course, this assumes Sony won't match their precedent.

People are already used to this locking down of media. We see it everywhere already. While it may be anti-consumer, it's already normal. If MS (and Publishers) price their games correctly, I don't see this being nearly as big an issue for people as reading this forum would have you believe.

PBY

Banned
It could if Microsoft were actually promised GTA and Call of Duty exclusivity but I have my doubts. If Microsoft is going on this path without any promise of exclusivity or knowledge of what Sony is going to do then just lol.

I have a hard time imagining that they are- what do they get out it?

madmackem

If this is true, there are only 2 possible scenarios. Either Sony and MS have colluded and will both go forward with this system, or MS (in return for doing it) have secured exclusivity for basically every major third party property.

Come on son, you think third partys hate second hand sales that much they are willing to half the possible machines there games could make money on.

I'll just say one thing about this.

If a developer has the option of releasing games on the Xbox, or PS4 - one which supports them by preventing second hand sales (what they want) and the other allows that option (which they don't want) then you might find Microsoft getting certain titles long before, if not exclusively.

Plenty of good and bad rumours flying around here.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Any more?

Until the point get's across yes definitely more, spend a while on N4G and you might end up with a similar opinion on it. I do love your selective quoting and misleading that some of these are replies to posts but whatever floats your boat.

N4G's finest.

You're damn skippy, this coming from a guy denying the existence of any rumors of the PS4 suppressing used games is pretty funny however.

Because they have enough issues. Don't they buy ipads? They'll sell anything. It's stupid to not sell Xbox games. It's turning away much needed money. They could steer people to PS4, but you certainly don't want to turn away money from people who've already committed to XBox.

re-post what I said:
What do you mean? Doesn't gamestop make a massive percentage of their profits from used game sales and very little from console sales? Good business sense would be to push the PS4. I didn't say stop selling the xbox or xbox games. I said push the PS4. Just like mobile carriers push certain devices over others. It makes a huge difference.

AOC83

Banned
To be fair, we're starting over here.

If they really wanted the publishers could be working in conjunction with MS, thanks to MS doing this for them if Sony isn't, to try to pigeonhole Sony and lead to early irrelevance.

This strategy would be a huge gamble, they´d be fucked if it fails.

Deuterium

If Microsoft does this (which Developers and Publishers will absolutely love), has anyone stopped to think that this may actually benefit Microsoft in securing exclusives, or timed exclusives.

Edit -- Woops, looks like it has occurred to some.

Top Bottom