• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: What Microsoft’s always-on Xbox means for PlayStation 4

Ponn

Banned
Cold this play in Microsoft favor though? Could this entice publichers to release more exclusive games on the next Xbox?

It would take awhile for those "Exclusives" to materialize and it wouldn't be in droves. In the meantime the consumer market would be speaking with their wallets and creating a gap in the install base that the publishers couldn't ignore. If they started out with this thinking I could see them quickly shifting gears within a year leaving MS holding the bag.

I know its hard to think MS would be dumb to do this on their own, but I think they are arrogant enough to do it. Look at their track record. Everyone thought Nintendo was untouchable and couldn't make dumb moves, everyone thought Sony was invincible after PS2 and could do no wrong, all of these companies went through arrogance periods.

finley83

Banned
My current Xbox has enough difficulty staying connected to my wireless router as it is, so going online-only means I'll be sitting out the next generation. I guess this would also put to rest the idea of actually owning the games you buys as well...

shandy706

I have a feeling Microsoft will make their decision based on what Sony does.

That, or they're going full on Steam style sales wise.

Also..."online only" means to register games/use certain things. I'd bet nearly everything I have you can still play single player games off-line.

Microsoft has also, rather more sensibly, surmised that the kind of consumer happy to pay for a next-generation console is going to have a decent internet connection.
I thought only about half were connected to the internet on 360?

Beckx

One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.

One rarely hears "conspiracy in violation of US antitrust laws" referred to as a potentially fruitful idea.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Interesting. I'm not as hardcore/boycott about this as the rest of you, as gaming has become only a small hobby in my life now, but if MS does do this I hope to god they DO NOT tie the game to the system, rather tie it to the gamer tag.

That way we can log on to another system in the house, download the game, and play (continue playing if there is cloud based saving, which there should be). That sounds pretty good to me.

phaonaut

*Putting my tinfoil hat on*

I think it's more likely that MS leaked this info, knowing it would force PS4 to acknowledge they are going to have to do this as well (either they had already planned to do so, or they know they will have to - if MS is doing it).

So it throws a wrench in their release announcement, as there is a cloud of negativity among fans surrounding the next gen consoles and this new system of selling games. Meanwhile, when MS eventually announces later in the year, it will have cooled down somewhat. Maybe Sony will have to take the heat for it first.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

But of course, that's just my inner Mulder talking.

If so, thats pretty devious.

Mokubba

If this is true, what´s the implication for third party games? Would they abandoned Sony because Sony did not did as they wish?

Quite similar to this gen with MS getting the exclusives earlier on but then with Sony coming back strong the best route was to go multiplatform and that was with the 360 leading in sales.

Would they really try abandoning Sony again?

ghst

thanks for the laugh

their corporate philosophy doesn't matter, it would be suicidal. no call of duty, no battlefield, no GTA (all these games publishers have actively voiced their frustration with the used game model), they are the king makers and if drowning an insalubrious threat to their no-used game utopia at birth is what it takes, so be it.

Vitacat

if microsoft, the current preferred bed-friend of all big western publishers, don't allow second hand resale, there is zero chance sony won't have to do the same. EA and activision will have no qualms with dreamcasting the PS4 in a second; and they'll have an infinite amount of fabricated sales data to support the idea that it would be an ultimately profitable move. why support a rival on the outset of a generation to the machine which does everything you ask for?

it will happen to the PS4 too, it's written in the patents.

this is an idea you're going to have to get comfortable with.

Fuck that. These companies can get comfortable with the idea of me not buying their crap.

I just hope there are enough people out there who do the right thing and not give these shitty ideas the support they don't deserve.

If you buy systems like this, you are part of the problem.

UberTag

EDGE hits vs. GameStop share prices... somehow I'm betting GameStop doesn't advertise on EDGE. Safe conclusion, right?
KuGsj.gif

Microsoft wouldn't be doing this if not for some serious publisher benefits.

If ms does this and sony doesn't, expect lots of timed exclusives for the xbox. Sony fans will have to wait for everything, if they get the game at all.

Drencrom

I really hope Sony confirms they won't lock second-hand games Feb 20th, that may persuade MS to ditch it.

Better yet, this is just EDGE click-fishing

their corporate philosophy doesn't matter, it would be suicidal. no call of duty, no battlefield, no GTA (all these games publishers have actively voiced their frustration with the used game model), they are the king makers and if drowning an insalubrious threat to their no-used game utopia at birth is what it takes, so be it.
those companies can talk ALL THE SHIT they want, that's way too much money left on the table. They won't hold back releases on multiple consoles.

If this is true, what´s the implication for third party games? Would they abandoned Sony because Sony did not did as they wish?

at least according to pachter, used sales at most eat at 5-8% of new game sales, would they really leave that much money on the table considering the rumors are saying that both consoles are very similar to the PC? I could see some potential timed exclusive, but the I think there's just too much money to be had releasing across both platforms rather than going exclusive

Just out of curiosity I wonder how bad it will hurt the PS4's 3rd party support if this is true.

MS would have just won ever every big player and they didnt have to money hat them. Its smart.

Bgamer90

Banned
I can't see one system doing it and not the other; especially if both want great third party support.

It's either both or none.

If just one does it, then people won't get that system. Pretty sure MS/Sony is smart enough to see that. Who knows though...

BibiMaghoo

IF it's true, then MS are playing a dangerous game.

They expect to please publishers with this move, but no publisher will be happy with it if no one buys the console because of it.

It could bring games to the new Xbox, or the exact opposite, depending on customer adoption.

ironcreed

Banned

But what if the install base for PS4 ends up being much bigger in light of this (if it's true)? Would be kind of hard to ignore putting your games on the more popular platform.

scsa

So if my net cable is broken, or let's say My router is broke, I can't play a game that I purchased, on a box that I paid for by my own hard earned money? On top of it, you use my net connection to shove more ads down my throat?

MS , you are pushing it far beyond the tolerable limit.

AOC83

Banned
Quite similar to this gen with MS getting the exclusives earlier on but then with Sony coming back strong the best route was to go multiplatform and that was with the 360 leading in sales.

Would they really try abandoning Sony again?

No they can´t afford that. Sony is roughly half of the console market for multiplatform titles.

dose

What if... Sony took out the patent to fool MS into thinking that the PS4 wasn't going to play secondhand games so MS would copy them ;)

Gotta wonder if the online infrastructure is going to remain the same for MS-- Gold pricing again, ridiculous control over software pricing, closed market, etc...

If they would open everything up ala Steam then I'd probably favor Durango over Orbis...but it's such a complete 180 over everything else they've done that it's hard to imagine happening.

Wonder what that means for 3rd party support if Microsoft kisses publisher's asses and doesn't allow used games.

Could actually put the winds in their favor.

UrbanRats

Just out of curiosity I wonder how bad it will hurt the PS4's 3rd party support if this is true.

This is what i'm wondering.

But as i said in the other thread, i call bullshit on it, because i can't believe Microsoft would go as far as restricting people to completely use the machine if not connected online, it would be just lunatic.

I can't see one system doing it and not the other; especially if both want great third party support.

It's either both or none.

If just one does it, then people won't get that system. Pretty sure MS/Sony is smart enough to see that. Who knows though...

Agreed.

Gotta appease those third party developers and publishers.

Vargavinter

As long as the creators get their share of the money I don't have any problems with buying games with activation I do that with steam all the time, the only concern is that both me and my wife plays on the same Xbox but with different profiles so they better have a system that takes that in consideration. And the always online must work smooth as well, if you manage to lose your connection for let say a day or two or perhaps even longer (for when your moving etc)

PBY

Banned
But what if the install base for PS4 ends up being much bigger in light of this (if it's true)? Would be kind of hard to ignore putting your games on the more popular platform.

Maybe its just me.... but I don't think no used games is enough to create a significant install base gap.

This is going to be interesting if true while pubs would love this to happen if PS4 sells more they not going to have choice in the matter .
They will be force to put there games on the PS4 and i can see gamestop pushing people towards PS4 also.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The idea that 3rd parties will all collectively abandon the PS4 for the Nextbox just because it bans used games is ridiculous. It's not like these parties aren't making millions on both the 360 and PS3 right now, regardless of the sales they are supposedly missing.

It feels like Microsoft is going to make a huge mistake that'll bite them in the ass later.

Vitacat

Microsoft wouldn't be doing this if not for some serious publisher benefits.

If ms does this and sony doesn't, expect lots of timed exclusives for the xbox. Sony fans will have to wait for everything, if they get the game at all.

Fine with me. I enjoyed PS3's exclusives more than anything on 360 anyway.

I really want this to be true, the blowback Microsoft is going to get for it is going to be amazing. I have never once seen always-on DRM work out well or the party in question and Microsoft will be sweating more than a few bullets when the dudebros are unable to play the latest Call of Duty because of Error 17 or something like that.

Diablo 3 was the best selling PC game the year it was released wasn't it?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I seriously can't believe it's true that the next Box will require to be costantly connected. As said in the other thread, I think there's a good possibility that connection is required just to activate the game when you play it the first time, and then it can't be sold / borrowed. But I can't believe Microsoft will seriously go with the need of being online whenever you play, seriously.

PBY

Banned
The idea that 3rd parties will all collectively abandon the PS4 for the Nextbox just because it bans used games is ridiculous. It's not like these parties aren't making millions on both the 360 and PS3 right now, regardless on the sales they are supposedly missing.

It feels like Microsoft is going to make a huge mistake that'll bite them in the ass later.

MS isn't making these decisions in a vacuum.

Kusagari

No they can´t afford that. Sony is roughly half of the console market for multiplatform titles.

To be fair, we're starting over here.

If they really wanted the publishers could be working in conjunction with MS, thanks to MS doing this for them if Sony isn't, to try to pigeonhole Sony and lead to early irrelevance.

Top Bottom