• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer going free to play this Tuesday

vdlow

--UPDATE 2--

The newest MOTD after the 1.17 patch confirms the F2P version.
There will also be a download version of Uncharted 3 GOTY to be available as well.

Link to MOTD, long image

Welcome to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Multiplayer!

It's here! Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Multiplayer is now Free-to-Play! For the full rundown on what that means for you check out the Naughty Dog Blog for all the massively sweet new details.

ATTENTION Free-to-Play players: thinking about purchasing a level cap unlock or the DLC maps? Get the complete Uncharted 3 experience: buy the digital version of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Game of the Year Edition. The single player is included free!

Thanks LittleToaster!

--UPDATE--

The blog post has been updated and they removed the mention of the Uncharted 3 multiplayer going free to play. I guess they are not ready for it yet.

---------OLD OP-----------

From PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/24/the-drop-week-of-february-25th-2013-new-releases/

They didn't give any more details. I think this is new. Sorry if has been posted already.

--Edit--
I'm seeing some people getting confused, so explaining better, the multiplayer portion of Uncharted 3 will be available for download on the PS Store for free.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Seems like they've been thinking about this for awhile, with all the microtransaction garbage.

Darknight

Makes sense I supposed. Uncharted 4 possibly coming out in like 1-2 years from now so might as well have this F2P with micro transactions making them so money.

Guess now people dont have to buy that other game thats mimicking this IP.

Yawnier

Banned
Uncharted 3 MP isn't bad necessarily it's actually enjoyable, but I would put the Uncharted 2 MP leagues ahead of it.

MP community for this game isn't that big so I think this a good thing though to bring in new players.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm confused. Does that mean that they'll just put up the multiplayer portion of it, even for people that don't own Uncharted 3? Or are they removing the Game Pass wall that people that bought it used would have to deal with?

Mr. Fix

I assume this just means you don't need the disc to play?

Such a great MP.

i3FskfdqH9z8i.gif

Derrick01

Banned
I wish the SP would go free to play too.

That was a hint by the way SCEA. There's still time to fit it into the March + update!

Darknight

I'm confused. Does that mean that they'll just put up the multiplayer portion of it, even for people that don't own Uncharted 3? Or are they removing the Game Pass wall that people that bought it used would have to deal with?

Yes the online portion (Multiplayer mode) will become free to download off PSN. Im guessing disk players who buy the game used, just need to download this file instead of dealing with a PSN online pass. (maybe they will remove that via a patch now for disk users to bypass)

Goon Boon

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483563

Still remember this thread, especially :

arne, how can you guys not have known what tapantaola posted about the DLC issues? There's been a thread in your forum for weeks talking about it. You guys like to say you read your own forum, but sometimes I seriously doubt you do or else this would have been fixed a long time ago. You guys NEED to read what the community is talking about, not just have a monthly Q&A thread where you'll only answer the easy questions and avoid the meatier ones. Not only that, but remember the issues when Flashback #2 came out? Nobody could PLAY on those maps for weeks. You can play on them now once in a while, but now Flashback #1 maps never appear. It's such a mess.

In an ideal world, you would make the DLC maps free and charge people for customization and skins. You won't fragment the player pool, and you'll make money off people wanting new customization items/skins. Believe me, people will eat it up. It's a win-win for everyone.

The FHC was never worth it and I say this as a hardcore MP player. The value in it was a joke and we got worse looking character models from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 maps I had played for over 2 years with worse aesthetics.

Well it was mostly 99.9% the truth .

How did they fuck up UC3 MP? I only played it for a few weeks after release.

They fragmented the player pool ( biggest issue )

Some annoying glitches took way too long to be fixed

Some notorious GAF player will also tell you his nights playing endlessly looking for a raretreasure that wouldn't drop.
And the list is quite long.

It's a nice MP , but there was some things they should have fixed that they didn't.

Ploid 3.0

Wow nice, I should check up on the other FTP multiplayer PS3 games too. I remember MAG, and KZ3 planning for it a long while ago.

Haunted

That's probably a good last ditch effort for 95% of current AAA games with tacked on MP, they're all pretty much dead after the initial 2 months of hype have subsided.

Try to get some kind of playerbase back, you won't get those who have moved on to the next flavour of the month shooter (or back to CoD) back anyway, so make it free to go after curious people or something.

Better than completely burying your game's MP a couple weeks after launch.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, I'd be willing to jump back in for a bit. I didn't play Uncharted 3 MP as much as I did with Uncharted 2. But it's been a year...this will definitely push me to give it another chance.

I am probably in a very very small minority, but Uncharted's multiplayer is one of my favorites this generation. I was hooked since the UC2 beta. I don't know if UC3 not being as good in single player soured me on the multiplayer by association, but I just didn't care for it as much at the time. But truthfully, I barely gave UC3 multi a chance.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about the UC3 MP for me is the aiming. After the way UC2's aiming system was perfected I just couldn't play UC3 MP without getting motion sickness. It's a pretty decent MP suite though all things considered, especially for free.

But you still need a 10$ online pass from Sony if you buy it used right? :p

Because seriously if you buy it used we don't even want you to play our free version you jerk. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will they patch the game to be like 1.00-1.04 Uncharted 2? No? Then I can't give a damn.

Naughty Dog ruined the multiplayer with 1.05 Uncharted 2 and the sprint in Uncharted 3 isn't worth a damn. So... whatever. Good for people to try it, I guess but I'm not jazzed about it.

Vitor711

Uncharted 3 MP isn't bad necessarily it's actually enjoyable, but I would put the Uncharted 2 MP leagues ahead of it.

MP community for this game isn't that big so I think this a good thing though to bring in new players.

Pretty much how I felt.

Even the co-op, my favourite element of 2, felt severely gimped in the sequel. Still enjoyable but it never quite got a hold of me like UC2 co-op did.

Didn't like the feel of the new maps either and the story co-op stuff felt like they'd put a lot less effort into it overall. But for free? Hell, totally worth a shot.

Tagg9

Did they remove it from the blog post or something? I don't see it.

Uncharted 3 Multiplayer is basically the only competitive game I play online now. Fantastic news to increase the number of people playing.

TimmiT

Seems like thet removed UC3 Multiplayer from the post? I don't see it mentioned, comments mention it though.

Top Bottom