• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer going free to play this Tuesday

The worst thing about the UC3 MP for me is the aiming. After the way UC2's aiming system was perfected I just couldn't play UC3 MP without getting motion sickness. It's a pretty decent MP suite though all things considered, especially for free.

Agreed. I could never get steady aim with any gun in U3. U2 felt buttery smooth. I also hate the movement in U3. It feels like running through molasses, like some force is constantly resisting you.

Darknight

Only thing that pissed me off where the horrible MP models. I blame the customizing BS and Co-op.

U2 MP models were sooo good. Make that one free SONY!!!

PS: U3 MP has LAN play I think so its great to have even for the future when servers are dead!

jimi_dini

God damnit. And I ordered Uncharted 3 GOTY just 2 days ago :/

Don't tell me that all multiplayer DLC will go free as well. I already own Uncharted 3.

AlexBasch

I'm confused with the MP unlocks, the weapons and characters are only unlockable with real money? I'm like Rank 30 (and have like 0.3 k/d, go figure) and I still have the vanilla weapons and a couple of customized weapons, I thought you could unlock stuff as you progressed.

It's a real shame how some exclusives like Killzone and uncharted never stuck to their identity.

QFT

How did they fuck up UC3 MP? I only played it for a few weeks after release.

UC3 MP was fucked up from the start:

-Situational Awareness was promised to be out, but they just ended up breaking it up into like 5 different things (boosters, power plays, paid boosters),
-they added a sprint which was not too bad, until they made it much more responsive, which I didnt like
-the maps were WAY too big. This was a problem since they started doing UC MP DLC. I swear, the classic maps are so damn good-- smaller, more symmetrical, etc.
-Kickbacks/scorestreaks. Not bad in itself, because they supported the game with a basic hardcore mode, then later a classic mode, but the kickbacks were bound to cause balance issues, and they did.
-class loadouts

Really, what made UC2 so good was that it took from Halo: simple maps, map control-gameplay, weapon pickups, everyone starts out virtually on the same playing field, boosters were the only differentiator.

They threw that all out in UC3, added all kinds of carrot-on-a-stick mechanics to desperately keep people coming back. Now it's free to play and they will milk the game with stat-changing attire, tons of taunts, and stuff like that.

It's not all bad, it's just such a shame how far it fell from UC2 (which was fucked the minute they patched health anyway)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't tell me that all multiplayer DLC will go free as well. I already own Uncharted 3.

I hope it does. Was the best thing they did for U2's multiplayer even if it was for a few weeks. And I say that as someone that bought the map-packs in U2 before that happened.

Even with all its flaws, UC3 multi is so great. It's refreshing to play multiplayer game where traversing the environment is so intuitive. Really adds to the action

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Even with all its flaws, UC3 multi is so great. It's refreshing to play multiplayer game where traversing the environment is so intuitive. Really adds to the action

Except U2 1.05-U3 made traversing the environment pretty pointless when you couldn't complete a climb up if someone noticed you climbing.

uncharted 2 mp pre 1.05 was utterly amazing, only problem was people rushing the hammer to much all they had to do was tone that down or remove it, everything else was fine. Then they decided to ruin it all. Thats really annoying thing about these mp games, even if you like it they will get changed constantly and ruin it. Even if a patch fixes alot it doesnt matter because the next few patches will ruin it again. I would pay to have uncharted 2 mp pre 1.05 that wont get patches.

so how can i go play a mp only to get attached to it knowing it will be ruined ?

UC2 1.04 represent

glad im not the only one, my fav mp game pre 1.05. Originally i didnt like the idea of uncharted mp fearing it would be a waste of resources and would stink but it turned out awesome. Only latter did it turn into the very thing i feared it would be.

Hope they don't actually have separate pools for F2P players. They need to drop the price on the DLC map packs and bundle, if not free entirely.

Opiate

The actual game itself is less important to me than what it represents. An increasing attempt to be flexible with pricing structures and to try new things is good news for Sony.

jwk94

I stopped playing around the time the first map pack came out. The MP was a huge disappointment to me. My cousin and I LOVED the Summer Beta. It was the best multiplayer I have ever played and to this day I still stand by that statement. Then the Subway beta came and it was horrid. Sprint was broken, the maps were ok, but it just didn't have that same feel. During the summer beta I felt like we were all on a level playing field, but after the Subway Beta and the eventual full launch, it was all screwed up.

I remember weaving in and out of firefights with the broken sprint before they released that patch. It's so messed up. I'll certainly download this since I sold my copy not too long ago though. It couldn't hurt to see how things have change. Naughty Dog, I'd pay at least $40 for the Summer Beta stats though.

madmackem

Im hoping us who own all the dlc and the game get maybe some free add ons, id also like to download it and have it on my hdd rather than have the disc in the drive.

jwk94

come to think of it; this is perfect news since I'm in college now. That means we now have another local MP game. Can we do 4 player guesting online? Or is it still limited to one guest?

hao chi

UC3 MP was fucked up from the start:

-Situational Awareness was promised to be out, but they just ended up breaking it up into like 5 different things (boosters, power plays, paid boosters),
-they added a sprint which was not too bad, until they made it much more responsive, which I didnt like
-the maps were WAY too big. This was a problem since they started doing UC MP DLC. I swear, the classic maps are so damn good-- smaller, more symmetrical, etc.
-Kickbacks/scorestreaks. Not bad in itself, because they supported the game with a basic hardcore mode, then later a classic mode, but the kickbacks were bound to cause balance issues, and they did.
-class loadouts

Really, what made UC2 so good was that it took from Halo: simple maps, map control-gameplay, weapon pickups, everyone starts out virtually on the same playing field, boosters were the only differentiator.

They threw that all out in UC3, added all kinds of carrot-on-a-stick mechanics to desperately keep people coming back. Now it's free to play and they will milk the game with stat-changing attire, tons of taunts, and stuff like that.

It's not all bad, it's just such a shame how far it fell from UC2 (which was fucked the minute they patched health anyway)

I felt like you were typing all my thoughts regarding U3, and I like it.

Lingitiz

The MP was fun from what I played but I always found the matchmaking system pretty horrible.

Co-op was a pretty great experience from what I played of it. If its included in this it'll be fun to jump back into.

Uncharted 2 MP didn't get good until after 1.05 despite waht some fans say. The high HP beta was a very unbalanced game. It wasn't until 1.05 that absurdly cheap tactics were nerfed.
Right then it became down the irons rapid fire fest and plunder was ruined.

EvilPengy

Banned
Interesting... I had UC3 before as well as the season pass too

Wonder if I could still use ny season pass with FTP version

web01

Uncharted 2 MP didn't get good until after 1.05 despite waht some fans say. The high HP beta was a very unbalanced game. It wasn't until 1.05 that absurdly cheap tactics were nerfed.

What a load of horse shit, U2 1.05+ became nothing but a camp fest due to lowering the health increasing damage and making traversal game play worthless. ND is the perfect example of a developer that completely ruined their own multiplayer trying to get the COD audience. Before they fucked it up U2 was one of the best multiplayer games on PS3.

But they continued the trend because U3 multiplayer was so bad it wasn't worth playing from Day 1.
Then they ripped off everyone who purchased a season pass by giving you re skinned U2 maps. And then they screwed over everyone again by making you buy tickets to play the multiplayer you already owned and item DLC up the wazoo. Oh and they never fixed the bug the stopped around 5-10% of people even being able to connect to online which was present in both U2 and U3. ND is a developer with absolutely no qualms with fucking over its customers.

I can never trust them or buy their products again after all of the above + the terrible U3 campaign and disgraceful input lag it launched with. Which is sad because U1/U2 are some of the best single players campaigns of this generation.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I loved Uncharted 2 MP so much. Have many fond memories of that game. Pre and post major update.

Uncharted 3 MP was the most disappointing thing. The beta had promise but idk what happened at release.

Flatline

Banned
How do they manage to stuff it up? Not once but twice

They need to learn to stick to their guns

Sony and its developers have a tendency to listen to gamers but sometimes at the expense of the dev's original vision of the game and some very wise decisions they made. Both Guerilla and ND listened to the COD idiots who were bitching about "bullet sponges" and "hard to get into" idiotic complaints and ruined their multiplayer trying to imitate trash.

Not to mention that they listen to that crap and waste their time trying to "fix" their games while ignoring legitimate complaints about bugs or fragmentation.

Revven

I'm confused with the MP unlocks, the weapons and characters are only unlockable with real money? I'm like Rank 30 (and have like 0.3 k/d, go figure) and I still have the vanilla weapons and a couple of customized weapons, I thought you could unlock stuff as you progressed.

Nobody ever answered you, but yes you can unlock stuff as you progress. Ever since the summer when they added stat hats, they also went ahead and allowed everyone to buy their unlocks with real money instead of having to level up to unlock them. So you can make the choice of buying a weapon early so you don't have to grind it out (if you don't have the time) or unlock it the free way.

This is part of why making it Free to Play makes sense now because all of the unlocks, as well as stat hats, can be bought via real money. Microtransactions basically.

Everyone's been suspicious of it becoming F2P because of the microtransactions ND introduced above.

Pretty much this. UC2 was amazing in the early days, and I still managed to have fun with it after the health patch due to its simplicity. It was so pure aside from a few boosters. UC3 I dropped after like a month. Too much fluff, too much crap, just too much everything. They had something beautiful with UC2 multiplayer, then they went and tried too hard.

How do they manage to stuff it up? Not once but twice

They need to learn to stick to their guns

mainstream opinion.

I thought only being able to turn a certain degree when sprinting was genius. But nooo, make everyone run like headless chickens...

I cant believe I bought the season pass. What a waste of money.

This is why i'm kinda annoyed at ND, for outsourcing the mp models and making everything look like a quick cash-in rather than the "to-go" multiplayer experience they announced.

KevinCow

Banned
They should make Playstation All-Stars free to play so people will actually play it.

Though I have no idea how they'd monetize a game like that.

Top Bottom