• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to fix this.. Another UPDATE thread

Hilti92

I gotta say, it is brutal when you download a game off the PSN network, which usually takes forever, you then have to install it which can take a while aswell and THEN there is a patch for it.. Why don't they patch it before they let you download it? I don't understand why it takes so long to download/install/update on the PS3 when on my 360 it will take 5 seconds to update a game. Is the WiFi in it that bad and is it really necessary to have to get a game patched after you download it? I figured it would come already patched.

The patch process happens when a game is booted because that's when if online, the game asks the server if there's a new update. Or the servers tells it first, whatever. Applying this process in an earlier step may be problematic and complicated.
I could only assume it'll be more streamlined with PS4 especially with more being digital.

Little things like this and more importantly other things like ability to change PSN ID, ability to change region of account, and deleting 0% trophy lists are very important next gen to many.

DRZ

I gotta say, it is brutal when you download a game off the PSN network, which usually takes forever, you then have to install it which can take a while aswell and THEN there is a patch for it.. Why don't they patch it before they let you download it? I don't understand why it takes so long to download/install/update on the PS3 when on my 360 it will take 5 seconds to update a game. Is the WiFi in it that bad and is it really necessary to have to get a game patched after you download it? I figured it would come already patched.

On 360 there is mandatory max size for patches that is very small and devs have to cope with it. ON PS3 on the other side patches can be as big as they want and usually the smaller are like 4 times the size of the 360 ones, the bigger an hundred time.

stay gold

PS3 download speeds are the worst thing about the system by a mile. I get 30mbs dl speeds, and yet I play most of my games offline unpatched because of the ridiculous amount of time it takes.

... its annoying but its very much a deal with it situtation.

want to be FUCKING ANNOYED?

pop in burnout paradise and be prepared to leave the PS3 on overnight. But it is one hella of a patch.

NekoFever

I downloaded LBP2 from PSN last week and after installing had to install 13 (!) patches, several of which were a few hundred MBs and one over 1GB. And you can't background download patches. And my PSN downloads are slow, so I'm looking at a couple of hours to update it.

Baffling that downloading the game doesn't supply you with the latest version.

Microsoft does this too.

I've never had to wait for a game to install after I've downloaded it on 360. I had to wait half an hour for Spec Ops to install last night though after I spent 3 hours the night before downloading it...which means I still haven't had a chance to even play the game yet.

Why would I download a game if I didn't want to install it? It makes no sense. Can someone explain to me Sony's logic regarding this decision.

I get the "patching" thing isn't unique to PS3, but the download THEN install thing is.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah my PS3 is ridiculously slow on downloads and updates.

Popped in LBP2 and it took 24 hours to finish updating.

24 fucking hours.

Where as steam downloads multiple full games in that time, and the Xbox updates nigh instantly all on the same connection.

Insane. The built in download chip announced for PS4 was one of the most exciting things IMO.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm downloading a 2+ gig patch for Battlefield 3 and have been doing so for a couple of hours. It's at 60 procent right now.

I can't wait for the PS4.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There is a max size for 360 patches, which isn't very big, supposedly a game would need to be re-submitted for them to include the patch, and I would suggest a wired connection but that wont make PSN any faster than it is, but at the same time when it does feel like being fast you can take advantage of it.

Also, as much as it sucks, PS+ is a saviour for all the patching nonsense, if I want a game patched I stick it in, play it for a few seconds and then can come back whenever knowing it will have been auto-updated.

Dragnet

I downloaded LBP2 from PSN last week and after installing had to install 13 (!) patches, several of which were a few hundred MBs and one over 1GB. And you can't background download patches. And my PSN downloads are slow, so I'm looking at a couple of hours to update it.

PS Plus downloads them that way. Gotta pay though!

Hilti92

On 360 there is mandatory max size for patches that is very small and devs have to cope with it. ON PS3 on the other side patches can be as big as they want and usually the smaller are like 4 times the size of the 360 ones, the bigger an hundred time.

Seriously? I don't understand why the 360 games play just as well though? And yeah, for some games, I download over night, install through the day and patch through the day and play at night time.
PS Plus downloads them that way. Gotta pay though!

I have PS+ and it does not do that. Every now and then it patches a random game but not the one I downloaded. I just got a BF3 patch installed and not the game I just downloaded the night before.

Never really had this problem. All of the patches have downlaoded and installed rather quickly. Maybe it has to do with the games that I'm usually playing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think there isn't a latest version. Just the certified game, and then patches.

Shinriji

Patching on vita with PS+ is almost perfect.

- When you buy a game, and there is already a patch, they include the patch on the download list.
- Patches are downloaded on the background (if the game doesn't turn off the network).
- PS+ downloads the patch automatically.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's brutal. Thankfully I pay for Plus that does auto updates for me at 4am - but unfortunately, there have been days when I'm up at 7AM and the system is still going :/

Microsoft does this too.

Not even close to the same.

Microsoft does this too.

Microsoft mandates that patches generally don't exceed a certain size (over 5MB, I think?) unless there's special exceptions like if you're EA.

Also you generally don't have to install a 360 game after you download it, as far as I've seen.

I'm a new PS3 user and haven't had any problems yet. DL'd all the LBP2 patches the other night in 15ish minutes. Sounds like people are either on a slow/wireless connection.

I'd also rather have developers be able to put out the patches they want as opposed to Microsoft imposing limits on them, if that's true.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My PSN downloads go at about 2 megabytes / second usually, so I personally have no complaints.

Lol real talk, I dled and installed Infamous 2 in less than 1.5 hours two weeks ago. Spec Ops was done in 30 mins the other day. PSN is godlike.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a new PS3 user and haven't had any problems yet. DL'd all the LBP2 patches the other night in 15ish minutes. Sounds like people are either on a slow/wireless connection.

I'd also rather have developers be able to put out the patches they want as opposed to Microsoft imposing limits on them, if that's true.

I know my version of my PS3 (80 gig motorstorm bundle) suffers from horribly slow wifi and I get a marked improvement if I string an ethernet cable across the house, but I'm not going to do that every time there's a patch. It's just a bummer. 3 days for Warriors Orochi 3 hurt my soul.

Dunlop

I would rather the PS3 have planned out their install and patching system better from the onset like MS did/ The end product is the same game on both systems but the MS version is umpteen times faster to patch (I have a PS3 and a 360 and a fast internet connection)

I know my version of my PS3 (80 gig motorstorm bundle) suffers from horribly slow wifi and I get a marked improvement if I string an ethernet cable across the house, but I'm not going to do that every time there's a patch. It's just a bummer. 3 days for Warriors Orochi 3 hurt my soul.

Try a wireless bridge. It's what I use for my PS3. It's kind of funny that I'm using wired to wireless and still getting a shit ton better speeds than with the built in wireless. PS3's wireless adapter is balls.

bill0527

I used to bitch about this constantly until I became a PS+ subscriber.

If you play a lot of PS3, I highly recommend getting a subscription. Not just for automatic patching, but also the free games.

Hilti92

Lol real talk, I dled and installed Infamous 2 in less than 1.5 hours two weeks ago. Spec Ops was done in 30 mins the other day. PSN is godlike.

You must live in the US if you can get speeds like that. I'm sure ethernet helps aswell. I have shit Canadian internet and use WiFi, probably doesn't help my case.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Try a wireless bridge. It's what I use for my PS3. It's kind of funny that I'm using wired to wireless and still getting a shit ton better speeds than with the built in wireless. PS3's wireless adapter is balls.

Urgh, I might, I...I might... :/

If you play a lot of PS3, I highly recommend getting a subscription. Not just for automatic patching, but also the free games.

Last time I set it to auto updates my PS3 never turned off again, it hung during an update.

I'm a PS+ subscriber too and I still have to install the games after I download them. What am I doing wrong?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You must live in the US if you can get speeds like that. I'm sure ethernet helps aswell. I have shit Canadian internet and use WiFi, probably doesn't help my case.

Well, there's your answer. Upgrade your stuff and you'll have a better experience in the downloads department at least. Installs and patches, though you can't speed up with your internet, are still trivial when you download them in seconds.

I'm a PS+ subscriber too and I still have to install the games after I download them. What am I doing wrong?

I'd recommend doing this overnight anyway, just turn on the install and turn off feature and it'll finish dling, install it, and turn itself off while you're sleeping. What that poster is talking about though is with Plus all games you have on your system that are unpatched will be patched automatically during your normal daily Plus auto-update period.

ps plus sort of fixed this. there is an option for ps3 to auto update on its own/and install the games you downloaded.

catch is you have to pay for plus.

Urgh, I might, I...I might... :/

If you get a $20 wireless N router that can use DD-WRT, you can configure it as a wireless bridge. It's what I did and it's awesome. Plus, since the thing has multiple ports, you can plug other consoles / network TV's into it and share the same wireless.

I'm an expert

ps plus sort of fixed this. there is an option for ps3 to auto update on its own/and install the games you downloaded.

catch is you have to pay for plus.

Just to be clear, games that are downloaded from the store are installed automatically if you don't use background downloader. You can also go to "Turn system off" and it'll give you the option of having the system finish downloading, installing it, and turning the system off when done - perfect for when you leave for work or go to sleep.

Neither of these require Plus.

Plus is required for auto-patching assuming you have your daily Plus update turned on.

Top Bottom