• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to fix this.. Another UPDATE thread

Yeah, you never do. As soon as it's downloaded, you can play it.

Always wondered why Sony chose to do it this way. I THINK you can set it to install while asleep, but the 360 has always been a better choice. Download and install in one bar, then run. Shorter process, AND I can install stuff in the background.

Urgh, I might, I...I might... :/

If you have an older PS3 (even a slim) don't waste your money. I tried all combinations to get around the bad speeds and nothing worked. Wired, wireless, router, no router all resulted in the same shit speeds. Eventually got sick of it and sold my Slim. Bought one of the new slimmer slims this past Black Friday and the speeds are light years ahead of what I was experiencing on the fat and slim PS3s.

Always wondered why Sony chose to do it this way. I THINK you can set it to install while asleep, but the 360 has always been a better choice. Download and install in one bar, then run. Shorter process, AND I can install stuff in the background.

They did it that way because they're not great OS coders. So much of what they did with the PS3 was bad and a lot of that was fixed/patched over the years. What I don't understand is why Nintendo looked at how Sony and Microsoft both handled this issue years ago and decided they'd copy the Sony way of doing it as slowly as possible. It's weird. Does MS own a patent on downloading a fully installed game now? Perhaps that's why.

Even before PS+, my downloads have at most taken 2-3 hours, and that's for big stuff.

Is there really a particular problem with PSN when it comes to download speed in comparison to Live?

sangreal

Even before PS+, my downloads have at most taken 2-3 hours, and that's for big stuff.

Is there really a particular problem with PSN when it comes to download speed in comparison to Live?

That does sound pretty slow, but the OP is complaining more about having to install it afterwards (which Live doesn't do)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

It must simply be regional. I've told this story a hundred times in other threads but I've had blazing PSN speeds whether in Asia (on ADSL) or on the east coast (on normal cable) with no issues. The only thing I guess is if you live in some rural area or you're not wired you'll have slower speeds.

c0de

That does sound pretty slow, but the OP is complaining more about having to install it afterwards (which Live doesn't do)

It seems to be a combination of speed you get from the download-server and especially the patching-system itself which seems way superior in comparison to PSN.

Burnout Paradise is bad but not as bad as PAIN.

Burnout Paradise is gbs of data to be downloaded. One of the patches is 1.x gb. I poped it in to play it and it was like

"downloading 1/6" and then it just crawled. Off a clean install, its the motorbike patch and who knows what else.

I took it out of the PS3.

You should try that with GT5. I swear it took me about 5 hours to get GT5 installed, updated, patched, etc etc. It just seemed to be in a constant state of ohh theres an update, download it, now install it, ohh there's another update! rinse and repeat.

Dragnet

I have PS+ and it does not do that. Every now and then it patches a random game but not the one I downloaded. I just got a BF3 patch installed and not the game I just downloaded the night before.

Yes it does. Cancel out of the auto-update when it's happening and the patches it was downloading will be in the download queue like a normal store item.

It doesn't patch 'random games', it patches everything you've played from the past month iirc, which means just downloading a game and expecting plus to patch it won't work unless you've at least booted it up once. It should probably be programmed to patch latest purchases as well as latest plays.

Hilti92

You should try that with GT5. I swear it took me about 5 hours to get GT5 installed, updated, patched, etc etc. It just seemed to be in a constant state of ohh theres an update, download it, now install it, ohh there's another update! rinse and repeat.

I did. GT5 XL and fucks sake it was brutal. I haven't touched the game since because it pissed me off that much.
Yes it does. Cancel out of the auto-update when it's happening and the patches it was downloading will be in the download queue like a normal store item.

It doesn't patch 'random games', it patches everything you've played from the past month iirc, which means just downloading a game and expecting plus to patch it won't work unless you've at least booted it up once. It should probably be programmed to patch latest purchases as well as latest plays.

Oh I see, so if I download something new it wont update. Good to know.

I came to post this exact experience. So frustrating. I ended up letting it DL overnight but install got stuck at 1.4% or some shit. I still haven't even played the game yet. I don't know how people put up with this thing as their sole console.

When I go to play a PS3 game and it has some big ass patch that cannot be downloaded in the background, I just play something else, usually another system altogether. Patching a PS3 game while I play a game on another system is way too common. The patches are always huge too. I think I just had a 500+mb patch fir PS Allstars last week? Wtf man.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are super slims much slower to install than phats? Download god of war HD for free and its taking AGES to install, seems much slower than my previous console.

Maybe I'm just noticing it more because I usually set a download going and then turn the PS3 off so the games are installed automatically?

Are super slims much slower to install than phats? Download god of war HD for free and its taking AGES to install, seems much slower than my previous console.

Maybe I'm just noticing it more because I usually set a download going and then turn the PS3 off so the games are installed automatically?

Since upgrading to PSN+, I've never sat through an install. I have the new slim, but I can't tell you if its slower or faster. The download speeds appear to be faster, though.

As for others worried about the scheduled downloads/upgrades, I've been doing it for well over a year and it's never had a problem. Every night my PS3 uploads my saves, updates software and shuts itself back down without issue.

This will not be fixed just like we won't get cross game chat for similar reasons, limited hardware. Either get a next gen console in a year or endure it.

Jonboy

PS Plus users shouldn't have this problem. You can set it to auto-download games/patches during the night.

Don't believe you can do it for system updates though.

prwxv3

The patch process happens when a game is booted because that's when if online, the game asks the server if there's a new update. Or the servers tells it first, whatever. Applying this process in an earlier step may be problematic and complicated.
I could only assume it'll be more streamlined with PS4 especially with more being digital.

Little things like this and more importantly other things like ability to change PSN ID, ability to change region of account, and deleting 0% trophy lists are very important next gen to many.

This bugs the shit out of me.

I really do wonder why I hear so many complaints about PSN downloads. I've never had a problem with it. On both PSN and Steam, I tend to get 1-2 MBps rates. Perhaps there is an issue causing some to get slow speeds?

alphaNoid

Banned
Microsoft does this too.

In a fraction of the time, and in 1 single cumulative update. You will never have to apply more than 1 single update for any game, MS standardized how they do updates back at the launch of the 360. Its one of the biggest reasons Live just 'works' but nobody ever lists it as a feature.

Was this fixed on vita?

I dont know.

PS Plus users shouldn't have this problem. You can set it to auto-download games/patches during the night.

Thats dumb.

What if you see a game and want to download and play right now, you know? like a normal person?

Oppo

MS just has a better patching system.

Also I believe the patch limit is 4 MB.

Sounds like most of these issues have been addressed with PS4. Although PS+ goes a looooong way to mitigating most of the annoyance with how Sony does it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Since upgrading to PSN+, I've never sat through an install. I have the new slim, but I can't tell you if its slower or faster. The download speeds appear to be faster, though.

As for others worried about the scheduled downloads/upgrades, I've been doing it for well over a year and it's never had a problem. Every night my PS3 uploads my saves, updates software and shuts itself back down without issue.

Do you have it set to automatically download recommended software? Does that download PS+ games automatically?

My Ps3 froze while downloading god of war and a bunch of other things, so I have to manually install them. PITA

Rocks are hard.

Rocks stopped being hard on pc 15 years ago.

ps+ auto patches games during the night btw.
It is fucking shameful that you need ps+ for this, I had no idea it even existed and rarely touched my ps3 cos I didn't want to deal with the horrible slow patching every time I want to play one of my old games for a change.

Rokal

It took me ~72 hours to download Ni No Kuni when it launched on PSN. Similar sized (~20GB) games on Steam usually take ~1 hour for my connection. Insanity.

I've never had to wait for a game to install after I've downloaded it on 360. I had to wait half an hour for Spec Ops to install last night though after I spent 3 hours the night before downloading it...which means I still haven't had a chance to even play the game yet.

Why would I download a game if I didn't want to install it? It makes no sense. Can someone explain to me Sony's logic regarding this decision.

I get the "patching" thing isn't unique to PS3, but the download THEN install thing is.

I'm guessing it's something technical. PS3 always had the download and install approach, whereas on the 360 it's download and play.

pr0cs

it's one of the reasons why i dread going back to play older games.
I mean, I like that they fix bugs etc, I'm not crazy enough to be surprised that games of this generation have bugs but when I have 1 hour to play a game I don't want to wait 20+ minutes of it for the game to patch.

AFAIK you can't even skip it either. The 360 will still let you play the games, just not be connected, the PS3 you aren't given any chance unless you disable your internet.

The 360's patching system is amazing and hopefully Sony can replicate something like it for the PS4.

lucius

The wifi on the fat ps3 are terrible compared to the newer slims, I have 2 slims and even the newer slim I have seems slightly faster than my old slim. Also never background download while it installs games, most here know that but it is still worth repeating. Really Sony should disabled background downloads while installing unless they fix that because you can be stuck on that install screen on a 15+GB game for a long long time while downloading.

Anteater

I think you could, I remember seeing it under settings, but I could be wrong, I never turned that option on.

The auto update thing is a scheduled option though, so people will still run into the whole having to boot the game and update thing if they want to play right away, and they probably will need to adjust the time again if they want it to update after they finish downloading the game overnight when they're asleep.

Maybe they could make the auto update more flexible, like download+update in 1 button so people could queue them all and they could just leave it on.

I really do wonder why I hear so many complaints about PSN downloads. I've never had a problem with it. On both PSN and Steam, I tend to get 1-2 MBps rates. Perhaps there is an issue causing some to get slow speeds?
I'm in a large city in the UK and I get terrible download speeds from PSN. I'm guessing it has more to do with location, maybe Sony don't have enough resources available for my part of the country.

My download speeds on Live and Steam are leagues better though.

Oppo

It took me ~72 hours to download Ni No Kuni when it launched on PSN. Similar sized (~20GB) games on Steam usually take ~1 hour for my connection. Insanity.

You know what's really crazy about that....

how inconsistent these reports are.

I have no doubt that some folks experience slow speeds. But in the time I've had the PS3, I've changed cities twice, changed ISPs twice, changed routers about 4 times... and it's always been fast. Quite fast actually.

It seems so random.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
UK, BT ISP, PSN maxes out my 25mb DSL via wi-fi on my PS3.

It really perplexes me why some people get slow downloads on PSN and others don't, has this mystery not been solved yet?

Raoh

Yes and water is wet.

This

Microsoft does this too.

Oh god this....

Rocks are hard.

and this

Like I said a few months ago.. This happened with a kinect/dance game at a friends holiday party.. they used their bedroom 360 more than their living room one. They threw their early xmas dance game on for the party and .... wait.. and download.. and froze.. and restart.. and download.. and restart.. and ............... a lot more of that.. it finally worked after an hour.

Like any device, iphone, android, psn/ps3, 360/wm7/8, etc.. you don't turn it on you will have to deal with updates.. just a part of our lives now.

that seems to hold true with the OP's dilema of comparison.

PSN = Buy/download/install (god does ps3 install suck ass)
360 = only update was mentioned. So not a buying a full game comparison?

All these issues I think is a great thing about the PS4 announcement.. These are some of the things they addressed going forward. Hopefully for future ps3 owners sony and ms will make things easier.

And I too do no deal too much with updates as PS+ handles this for me, I haven't launched a lot of the games i had installed but my PS3 updates every morning between 4:00 am to 6:00 am like clockwork.

I get a smooth experience.

I also have never had a speed issue really, psn is still worse than xbl but not the way people make it out to be.. I get great upload and download speeds..

In a fraction of the time, and in 1 single cumulative update. You will never have to apply more than 1 single update for any game, MS standardized how they do updates back at the launch of the 360. Its one of the biggest reasons Live just 'works' but nobody ever lists it as a feature.

I've never had to download multiple consecutive updates for a PS3 game.

valeo

Burnout Paradise is gbs of data to be downloaded. One of the patches is 1.x gb. I poped it in to play it and it was like

"downloading 1/6" and then it just crawled. Off a clean install, its the motorbike patch and who knows what else.

I took it out of the PS3.

Meh, Burnout is totally worth it . Great patch. Great game.

It is annoying as hell in this day and age. Never understood why they can't just host the patched version/installer on their servers. Would save bandwidth and money on both ends. There should also be all-in-one patches for retail versions. Buying a year old game and then having to download and apply several consecutive patches is ridiculous.

see5harp

Like I said a few months ago.. This happened with a kinect/dance game at a friends holiday party.. they used their bedroom 360 more than their living room one. They threw their early xmas dance game on for the party and .... wait.. and download.. and froze.. and restart.. and download.. and restart.. and ............... a lot more of that.. it finally worked after an hour.

Like any device, iphone, android, psn/ps3, 360/wm7/8, etc.. you don't turn it on you will have to deal with updates.. just a part of our lives now.

that seems to hold true with the OP's dilema of comparison.

PSN = Buy/download/install (god does ps3 install suck ass)
360 = only update was mentioned. So not a buying a full game comparison?

All these issues I think is a great thing about the PS4 announcement.. These are some of the things they addressed going forward. Hopefully for future ps3 owners sony and ms will make things easier.

And I too do no deal too much with updates as PS+ handles this for me, I haven't launched a lot of the games i had installed but my PS3 updates every morning between 4:00 am to 6:00 am like clockwork.

I get a smooth experience.

I also have never had a speed issue really, psn is still worse than xbl but not the way people make it out to be.. I get great upload and download speeds..

You are really trying to convince people here that it took an hour to update dance central? Hell no.

Lol real talk, I dled and installed Infamous 2 in less than 1.5 hours two weeks ago. Spec Ops was done in 30 mins the other day. PSN is godlike.

Spec Ops took me close to 50 minutes to dl and install. I've never had any problems with PSN speeds. I think the real problem is Internet infrastructure.

Brofist

I've never had to download multiple consecutive updates for a PS3 game.

You must buy all of games day one. I don't use the PS3 that much, and I've had it happen at least a handful of times. I've never seen a game as aptly named as Pain.

TheMan

i borrowed a friend's ps3 for a week or so a year ago. i was very unimpressed by the patching bullshit, and it's one of the reason why i don't plan on buying a ps3 until they're dirt cheap.

breakfuss

I can't even believe some people are attempting to debate this, lol. "This never happens to me". Welp, news for you...you don't play your ps3 much!

Top Bottom